Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question!

Curly43254Curly43254 Member Posts: 4
How does this game compare to such games as Everquest 2, WoW, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy XI...etc? Is it worth playing or should I just stick with the ones above?

Comments

• newblooddnewbloodd Member Posts: 107

Lineage 2 own them all. I played them all and I could not get into any of them. I must say that I think this is the best time to come to Lineage 2. This game is improving alot and its also growing also. I just came back after taking a 5 month break and I have noticed more people, and less bots so thats a very good sign. I will tell anybody that there are 3 important factors that Must be understood if you are comming to Lineage 2.

1. This game has a GRIND! That means that you will spend most of your days hunting for XP and it will take a very long time to level. At first the Grind is light but as your gain levels it gets more harsh and it keeps getting harsher but there is a secret to it that I will explain later.

2. You will have to Learn how to make money. You dont get much money from hunting. You hunt for XP not for money. You will have to learn the Market to make money and its not easy but there is a secret to it that I will also explain later. I am still learning the market.

3. This is the most important thing about Lineage 2. Make friends and get into an Academy or Clan as soon as possible. This is the key to the game because it makes all of the above Fun and if its is Fun then you will enjoy doing it.

WOW is one of the worst MMOs ever made IMO.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Originally posted by newbloodd
    Lineage 2 own them all. I played them all and I could not get into any of them. I must say that I think this is the best time to come to Lineage 2. This game is improving alot and its also growing also. I just came back after taking a 5 month break and I have noticed more people, and less bots so thats a very good sign. I will tell anybody that there are 3 important factors that Must be understood if you are comming to Lineage 2. 1. This game has a GRIND! That means that you will spend most of your days hunting for XP and it will take a very long time to level. At first the Grind is light but as your gain levels it gets more harsh and it keeps getting harsher but there is a secret to it that I will explain later. 2. You will have to Learn how to make money. You dont get much money from hunting. You hunt for XP not for money. You will have to learn the Market to make money and its not easy but there is a secret to it that I will explain later. I am still learning the market. 3. This is the most important thing about Lineage 2. Make friends and get into an Academy or Clan as soon as possible. This is the key to the game because it makes all of the above Fun and if its is Fun then you will enjoy doing it.   WOW is one of the worst MMOs ever made IMO.
    The above 3 points i would agree with .

Yeah WoW is the worst MMO ever created, it is so bad, it has over 7m subs or whatever the ridiculous amount is and it even has commercials on TV. Man what a shitty MMO.

To the Original Poster, take a look at the threads in this forum, they are anti-Lineage 2 in a sense. The game is good but requires an inordinate amount of time. Like ridiculous amounts of time. The game takes forever and frankly, other than being bored with it, it's too much time for me.

So if time is an issue then avoid this game. Also, you're the only one who can decide if Lineage 2 is the best game for you.

In short, Lineage 2 is a ridiculously hardcore game which is more player driven then what you posted above but is a huge time sink with a bot problem that's noticeable albeit decreasing. They are also putting some new patches, so it's not a bad time to enter in the game at all.

But there's a free trial here I think.

The market is ferociously hard, so be prepared to play the market, i.e. leave your computer on 24/7 to sell crap or just do what everyone else does and bypass it. You'll quickly notice that leveling = no money gain. Then you'll notice how expensive gear is as you get to higher levels.

Good luck, I have a retired lvl 70/47/45 char with like 800m gold wroth of crap that I have left inactive. I don't know what the hell to do with it.

Enjoy the game, but know what you're getting into.

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

WOW is one of the worst I have ever played. I dont care how many Subcribers it has, that does not mean anything. I showed a buddy of mine a Trailer of WOW and his exact words were Man that looks like Nintendo 64, I dont see how anybody plays that. Everybody played Madden Football but alot of people knew that the 2K Football series but better in every way but Madden outsold 2K every year. Thats why EA bought the NFL Game License and made it exclusive to them because they knew this and they had to stop 2K. Yea, WOW has over 6 million subs but Lineage 2 has over 16 million subs world wide. Do some research next time.

• SantaClaws48SantaClaws48 Member Posts: 280
    WoW has the largest market share. I think the biggest reasons why WoW is so popular is 1. it's easy 2. it's noob friendly 3. it's designed for carebears

Yes, but I think thats only in the United States and I agree with everything you said.
  • Xrider07Xrider07 Member Posts: 3
    Ive played l2 for about 2 years off and on. its a great game if you have the time and money for gear. people complain about the grind, that wouldnt bother me if gear didnt cost billions of adena. this is the hardest part of the game. figuring out how to make money. the grind is bad, but grouping in areas is fun. so if u have the patience to find money (which is TOUGH) then this could be your game.
  • Rha-ELRha-EL Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Curly43254
    How does this game compare to such games as Everquest 2, WoW, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy XI...etc? Is it worth playing or should I just stick with the ones above?

Well, Lineage 2 itself is one of the best games (MMORPG) out on the market right now.  That's my opinion anyway.  What is and has been constantly worrisome about this game has been the way the host company, NCSOFT America, has done a very piss-poor job of keeping the game legit.  Legit meaning, they have a problem with banning botters (automated program scripts that run and play the game for you), ebayers and the like.

Mind, I have been hearing reports that the botting population has taken a blow but not enough to warrant such as myself to return to the game, at this point, since I left because of the BOTS and couldn't stand playing legit while EVERYONE (almost) cheated their way to the top levels, around me.

The game does have a heavy "grind".  You have to xp (gain experience points) a lot as you gain higher levels and this increases exponentially near the top levels, I'd say in the 70's.  That could be bearable for most experienced MMORPG veterans but I concede also that this couples with the money "grind" (takes a lot of in game money to afford good gear at high levels) makes this game of the most difficult if not THE MOST DIFFICULT game out there on the market.  I have not tried EVE so, I can't say which is harder...although I have heard many people complain about EVE's "grind" as well.

Well, you can compare the money "grind" as taking as long as or being as tedious as, playing the end game of WoW (the constant raiding to equip every member in the guild).  But I think the gear grind in WoW is much more tedious since if its anything like the end game in EQ, you had to wait literally for HOURS, sitting on your ass doing jack shit, before a guild could get organized enough to take down a raid boss.  You then repeat this day in and day out for months trying to equip members from raid boss drops ... yes how very stupid and unoriginal.  As I have said many times before, WoW is nothing more than an EQ clone that made leveling 1-60 ridiculously fast and easy for the AD kids out there.

Lineage 2 is a great game though...but its more focussed toward people who are prone to doing "hard work" or has a healthy work ethic, or generally people who like to work.  Thats why its an MMORPG for veterns of the gaming scene.  WoW is more for the beginners...

cheers,

Rha (BlazerX)

*waiting for NCSOFT to get their ass cleaned up so I can go back (you hear that NCSOFT? pfft)

• zeromazzeromaz Member Posts: 5
    Yeah the game is good but you are either in for the long run or you'll quit quick.

This game really shiines in the social aspect. If you can get in with some cool people and into a nice Clan (read as GUILD) the game is awesome. But playing in the noob starter areas will really drag the energy and drive to want to play from most new players because of the lack of real people and the abundance of bots.

The reason there are so many bots in the starter areas is beacuse NCsoft, the poor PR company it is, has banned alot of accounts that had high level bots. Now they are back in the low areas.

Once you can stomach the grind to around level 18 or so and start getting out of the noob areas the world opens up into an amazing place full of real poeple and politics.

If you give it a try just hang in there during the darkness that is the beginning areas.

• isurusisurus Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by Cryomatrix

The game is good but requires an inordinate amount of time. Like ridiculous amounts of time. The game takes forever and frankly, other than being bored with it, it's too much time for me.

So if time is an issue then avoid this game. Also, you're the only one who can decide if Lineage 2 is the best game for you.

In short, Lineage 2 is a ridiculously hardcore game which is more player driven then what you posted above but is a huge time sink with a bot problem that's noticeable albeit decreasing. They are also putting some new patches, so it's not a bad time to enter in the game at all.

But there's a free trial here I think.

The market is ferociously hard, so be prepared to play the market, i.e. leave your computer on 24/7 to sell crap or just do what everyone else does and bypass it. You'll quickly notice that leveling = no money gain. Then you'll notice how expensive gear is as you get to higher levels.

Pessemistic but true. 

L2 is the most rewarding MMO i've ever played, but also the most demanding of time.  And time is why i eventually quit. 

L2 has the "worst" grind of any MMO i've played but you're supposed to enjoy the time you spend leveling up.  And although you need to be high level to really participate in sieges or server-wide politics, you don't have to wait until 70+ to enjoy pvp. 

Money is very difficult to earn so, like Cryo said, prepare to leave your computer on overnight with a buy or sell shop open most of the time.  They should really make that feature available offline.  Alternatively, you can say fuck it and ebay adena if you are so inclined. 

And one last piece of advice:  buffs > all

• kolesinkolesin Member Posts: 5
    ye i agree with everythink what was writen before ,LA2 is good game , there iss alot of good things , but game play , guy u know is not BEST , best Game Play is in UO ( Ultima Online) , ye ye UO has may be a worst graphic , BUT there is a greatest GAME PALY .