Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A long grind or am I doing this wrong?

My pre-nge Bria toon is now at level 85 after a long long long time, considering the time I've invested just to go up 5 levels. I respecced a couple of times but I've made the last 5 levels up on jedi just to explain how I'm doing this, I have a 4th gen saber with about 900'ish dps and looted knight robes with luminous protection I think its called.

I could have got to 90 by now if I had the mental discipline to stay in south-west dathomir killing level 80-90 mobs over and over again but I'm finding it tough going. When the CU came out it wasnt so bad grinding since I'd get in a group and it'd be a nice social pursuit at the same time. So far nge has been a lonely exercise, there's a few people ingame that I see in the cities and cantinas but when it comes to grinding it seems I'm pretty much on my own.

My pre-cu pistoleer/bh0040 on Radiant is now level 65 with the changes and I can't fathom how on earth I could stick out 25 more levels, let alone play a toon from scratch and level him all the way to 90.

I'm also still a bit confused about the mob levels, the level 90 mobs on dath like the spiders and plainwalkers are an absolute breeze, I can stand in the middle of half a dozen or so without coming close to incapping. On kashyyyk, in the shadowlands  if I get aggroed by more than 2 level 80 mobs like the gotals or those manic-jumping looney monsters then things get a bit hairy as their health is a bit higher and take longer to kill, but the loot is pretty good so I guess it balances out a bit.

Now on Yavin IV I've run into some black sun 85-90 npc's and they've completely obliterated me shooting right through my saber block every time, the combat log has only registered about three hits totalling about 6k damage but all my 12-13k health is gone and I'm incapped. I have come across the occasional lone black sun and they're a tough fight but ok to kill solo once they get in melee range, in pairs they seem a lot harder.

It's all a bit of a shame so far since I just want to get to level 90 and run out and try a little pvp and see what the game's like nowadays. I got the 21 day trial, spent about a week or so messing around with settings (got my keymap as close to CU settings as possible) and read up a little about gameplay etc and then resubbed for another month so I could get to level 90 and play around, but it's damned slow. it's pretty annoying that I have to go to certain areas on certain planets to find level 80+ mobs these days, whatever happened to flying to the smuggler outpost on Endor and then running like a loon shooting everything in sight on my way to the labour outpost where I'd end up with 500bf and capped xp?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Have you done any/all of the quests on Mustafar/Kashyyyk?  They can be an interesting way to level up and you get some nice rewards with them too.  If you don't mind PvPing, you could join a group in Restuss and do the missions there and get XP and Comms at the same time.  Each quest is only worth 5-6k, but there's around 6 you can do at one time so each run (every 10mins or so) you can get about 30k XP.

• RipperLordRipperLord Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Obraik

Have you done any/all of the quests on Mustafar/Kashyyyk?  They can be an interesting way to level up and you get some nice rewards with them too.  If you don't mind PvPing, you could join a group in Restuss and do the missions there and get XP and Comms at the same time.  Each quest is only worth 5-6k, but there's around 6 you can do at one time so each run (every 10mins or so) you can get about 30k XP.

Yeah, Mustafar or Kashyyyk are probably where the best quests to get for high levels. You do get pretty good rewards and experience for completing them, so yeah go with Obraik's advice.

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

I resubbed to SWG around August, after the Jedi and BH expertise came out. I turned my TKM/MFencer CL80 into a Jedi and did the Mustafar and Kashyyk quests with the occasional trip to the Night Sister slave camp and DWB for armor drops. It took about a week or so, but I finally managed to get CL90.

You just have to buckle down with those quests and do them. I had to solo most of them, but I made friends and relied on old guild mates for the group missions. If you don't have guildies that still play, make new friends and you will be fine. The key is making friends and staying focused with your quests.

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

Thanks for the replies, there's just no way I'm going to spend money on ToOW, if the game isn't playable without expansion packs then there's something fundamentally wrong.

I'll take a look at what quests I have remaining on kash, I did the katarn quest during the cu (no bloody clue where my knucklers are though its a bit of a mystery) and killed the rodians for the flechete pistol so I'll check if there's any more high end quests left there.

As long as I can vary my grind a little it wouldnt be too bad

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Well, unfortunetaly the ToOW is designed especially for leveling from 80-90 and it's the best place to level as well. However, a friend did mention when I was playing a few months ago, that the best xp is killing force sensitives, which you can still do. I wasn't that worried about getting to lvl 90, it just happened as I was having fun playing the game and doing all the content. If you're not having fun, I would just unsubscribe right now. What was essential to my fun was interacting with my guild and other alliance members.

Just don't force yourself to do something that isn't fun. Even gringing should be fun and in the games I actually like, the grind is fun (DAoC & SWG).

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by milton1970

My pre-nge Bria toon is now at level 85 after a long long long time, considering the time I've invested just to go up 5 levels. I respecced a couple of times but I've made the last 5 levels up on jedi just to explain how I'm doing this, I have a 4th gen saber with about 900'ish dps and looted knight robes with luminous protection I think its called.
    I could have got to 90 by now if I had the mental discipline to stay in south-west dathomir killing level 80-90 mobs over and over again but I'm finding it tough going. When the CU came out it wasnt so bad grinding since I'd get in a group and it'd be a nice social pursuit at the same time. So far nge has been a lonely exercise, there's a few people ingame that I see in the cities and cantinas but when it comes to grinding it seems I'm pretty much on my own.
    My pre-cu pistoleer/bh0040 on Radiant is now level 65 with the changes and I can't fathom how on earth I could stick out 25 more levels, let alone play a toon from scratch and level him all the way to 90.
    I'm also still a bit confused about the mob levels, the level 90 mobs on dath like the spiders and plainwalkers are an absolute breeze, I can stand in the middle of half a dozen or so without coming close to incapping. On kashyyyk, in the shadowlands  if I get aggroed by more than 2 level 80 mobs like the gotals or those manic-jumping looney monsters then things get a bit hairy as their health is a bit higher and take longer to kill, but the loot is pretty good so I guess it balances out a bit.
    Now on Yavin IV I've run into some black sun 85-90 npc's and they've completely obliterated me shooting right through my saber block every time, the combat log has only registered about three hits totalling about 6k damage but all my 12-13k health is gone and I'm incapped. I have come across the occasional lone black sun and they're a tough fight but ok to kill solo once they get in melee range, in pairs they seem a lot harder.
    It's all a bit of a shame so far since I just want to get to level 90 and run out and try a little pvp and see what the game's like nowadays. I got the 21 day trial, spent about a week or so messing around with settings (got my keymap as close to CU settings as possible) and read up a little about gameplay etc and then resubbed for another month so I could get to level 90 and play around, but it's damned slow. it's pretty annoying that I have to go to certain areas on certain planets to find level 80+ mobs these days, whatever happened to flying to the smuggler outpost on Endor and then running like a loon shooting everything in sight on my way to the labour outpost where I'd end up with 500bf and capped xp?

Be glad you were not a Pre-CU Jedi ...lol

Compared to that you would have quit and or not lasted long, not to mention the risk, cost, loss, decay, being hunted part lol.

NGE is the way to go for easy gameplay, I wont argue that at all.

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by iskareot

Originally posted by milton1970

Be glad you were not a Pre-CU Jedi ...lol

Compared to that you would have quit and or not lasted long, not to mention the risk, cost, loss, decay, being hunted part lol.

NGE is the way to go for easy gameplay, I wont argue that at all.

If I was still a pre-cu jedi, I'd delete my toon and go back to being a good old combat doc template, I could handle the grind no problem, I must have mastered tkm about 6 times on different templates at one time or another and it never got old. As I grinded I made sure that I'd end up with some nice quality avian and herbivore meat and to relieve the boredom I'd be dropping harvesters for reactive gas, lok wheat, talus water and inert petrochemicals and spend my idle moments making meds or what-not.

It's not the template that's the problem it's the game (maybe it is, of all the templates I've tried they're all incredibly similar with minor variations but with different skins), with no group culture ingame and almost all social aspects gone I'd be better off grinding entertainer right now, cantinas have been the most socially enjoyable experience recently, and having a master dancer/musician from pre-cu its not quite what it used to be. The variety of the expertise system isn't too disimilar from the effects of food buffs pre-cu from what I've seen so far, I'd go as far to say that pre-cu foods offered a lot more diversity than expertise does.

I'm sure there's a lot of people like me who initially grinded their template but only have the time to sporadically log in here or there to catch an hour of gameplay, get my kicks and then log off till next time. I had a few spare hours last week or so to get to grips with the nge but it's turned out to be pretty hard going with just about my entire guild gone and only a few people outside the main cities, the few times I grouped up with other players on quests it turned out my quests were bugged.

I have twins on the way soonimage so my grinding time will be diminishing rapidly as time goes by, I really wanted to try and like the game but alas no.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

No need to go to some far corner of Dath to grind high level. Player city mission terminals, take 2 in the same direction, make sure they are critter lairs and make sure they respawn pretty close together. Run to one, kill all the critters, run to the next, kill all the criiters, go back and kill the critters again at the first. If they are far enough apart that they fall off the overhead they will spawn out when you leave the lair.

It's 6 kills of a fixed level that you can respawn untill your head falls off. Sharnaff and Gronda for Jedi. You can slaughter 500 of them in a 3 hr grind, easy. 80 to 90 in a week. Get bored? Take some Nyax on corellia. They are white bracket kills and drop clears as well as some cool clothes and armor. It takes a little longer but you get loots. You should be getting 1K per kill, a little more really if they are white. Don't go higher, the time it takes to kill a red compared to the extra exper isn't worth it.