Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Reader's Choice: Finalist Voting Opens

Comments

• ravex5ravex5 Member UncommonPosts: 64

WoW being voted for best story is just as bad as EVE being voted for PVE imo........... WoW butchered the Warcraft lore just so they could put crap in to attract more players which imo is a bad move......... but to each his own........ I only voted for EQ2 on Best Graphics and for GW on best game of 2006 and AoC for most anticipated and left the rest blank because I refuse to vote for WoW or EVE. In the first run I voted for AO for best PVE and best game, GW for best PVP and graphics and best of 2006. Personally I dont think these votes mean much, they are obviously way biased but oh well.

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326
    I just want to join in on the choir.

I play EVE but I would hardly say it has the best PvE, though WoW being nominated in best graphics is just as odd.

• sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by Lepidus
    These are easy to do and fun for the community. They are a popularity contest, of course, but that's sort of the point.

Well I guess mmorpg's idea of fun is pissing off a large portion of their community. Don't know why I'm surpised though, last year you had WoW for best graphics even though it was pretty much universal that game didn't have them.

It's funny I just realised you did the same thing this year. lol

• MalthrosMalthros Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Nierro
    Originally posted by DrAtomic
    The fact that WoW is up for best PvP and best story makes these awards look like a joke.

Not less then EvE being best PvE game...

3 is more than 1, and I forgot "Why the hell is WoW up for best graphics??".

EvE's PvP is generic...basically every game out there has generic PvP except for WoW and CoX.

WoW deserves to win best PvE but that is IT.

How exactly is EVE's PvP generic, and WoW PvP isn't?

In WoW a epic set 60 will kill a dozen level 20s every time.

In EVE a T2/faction-fitted BS will have varying results against 20 frigs/destroyers (odds are it will be the one who loses.

In EQ, the 60 beats the group of 20s.

In L2, the high level beats the party of Low Levels.
    Same with DAOC, EQ1, UO...etc.

In WoW, a warrior is a warrior, period.

In EVE, my Raven is a missile ship, or is is a NOSsing sensor-damp ship with armor tank?
    Maybe It's a blaster and NOS boat (bear with me EVE players :P).  Maybe It's an armor and shield tanked Missile boat.

Maybe those missiles are cruise, maybe they're torps, hell maybe they're only heavy missiles.  Maybe I'm carrying shield and armor transfers ECM and an armor tank.

Maybe, just maybe, my Raven isn't forced to be one thing, and one thing only when it comes time to kill your ship.  Your warrior will always be a warrior when you come to kill me.  You won't be throwing fireballs, or sneaking up on me.

How exactly is EVE PvP generic?  The game itself is unique FFS. image

• AckillezAckillez Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by checkthis500
    I
    personally found it strange that EVE got voted in for best PvE. 
    The game is amazing, but PvE it just doesn't have.  Eh, oh
    well.  If they win out, I'll definitely laugh.

EVE just got a fairly major PVE content addition in the latest expansion which came out a week ago.

• NaarNaar Member UncommonPosts: 165

I could seriously care less WHO wins as long as it had at least the APPEARACE of being legit. clicking through the final votes and seeing only two games is LAME no matter how you slice it.

I thought the editors where going to add in a nominee in each catagory and filter out games that simply don't belong? Sure they got the most vote but you need to at least include anoother choice at least. Claiming they were the top voters by a huge margin then having ANOTHER Vote just between them is retarded at best.

• ArtifacTArtifacT Member Posts: 222

meh i didnt vote for most of them... i dont like EVE and i dont like WOW so i really had no reason to vote since i dont think either is the best in any of those categories its just that most of the people on this site play those 2 games the most =/

personally i think ALL playNC games have better graphics than both EVE and WoW, as well as better PvP than WoW... i think staff members should be the ones that nominate picks since this is clearly not really the most accurate way of seeing what is best in the MMO world

(i mean cmon WoW shouldnt even be up there for graphics... that was a little rediculous IMO)
    omg and storyline too? as far as i could tell WoW and EVE had NO storyline (when i tried them) so why are they even up there for that category in the first place? i think guildwars is the only MMO that has a good storyline to it... even though it does get dull after a while =/

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Originally posted by Malthros
    The fact that WoW is up for best PvP and best story makes these awards look like a joke.

EvE's PvP is generic...basically every game out there has generic PvP except for WoW and CoX.

In EVE a T2/faction-fitted BS will have varying results against 20 frigs/destroyers (odds are it will be the one who loses.

In EVE, my Raven is a missile ship, or is is a NOSsing sensor-damp ship with armor tank?
    Maybe It's a blaster and NOS boat (bear with me EVE players :P).  Maybe It's an armor and shield tanked Missile boat.

Maybe those missiles are cruise, maybe they're torps, hell maybe they're only heavy missiles.  Maybe I'm carrying shield and armor transfers ECM and an armor tank.

Maybe, just maybe, my Raven isn't forced to be one thing, and one thing only when it comes time to kill your ship.  Your warrior will always be a warrior when you come to kill me.  You won't be throwing fireballs, or sneaking up on me.

OH SCHNAPPPS TYPO!!!!

I meant PvE...not PvP!

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202
    WoW will dieeee image

• MalthrosMalthros Member Posts: 239

OH SCHNAPPPS TYPO!!!!

I meant PvE...not PvP!

Fair enough.  EVE PvE is a little different, but yeah, all games boil down to simple AI that is so easy to beat a simple script could (and often does :/) do it.

I fear the day CCP gives real AI to EVE NPCs though.image

• RodgortRodgort Member Posts: 11
    *sigh* EVE Online or WoW? Gosh, I don't know which I like more. image

It's hard to fight in a gazebo.
    -Mitch Hedberg

• Dark_ShikariDark_Shikari Member Posts: 18

OH SCHNAPPPS TYPO!!!!

I meant PvE...not PvP!

Fair enough.  EVE PvE is a little different, but yeah, all games boil down to simple AI that is so easy to beat a simple script could (and often does :/) do it.

I fear the day CCP gives real AI to EVE NPCs though.image

Me too.  The problem is that if CCP gives real AI to NPCs (which they could do!), a few tens of thousands of carebear mission runners would quit the game because they would be unable to adapt to a real challenge image

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650
    I'm a huge loyal fan of EVE (even if I do not play it anymore) and I did love my experience on WOW but when I saw the choice we had for the vote, I was kinda disapointed.

EVE has an open ended gameplay where the focus is the community. The game provides tools to enchance this unique aspect. The game is not for everyone and it will never be. EVE is a pretty much a Gibson Les Paul combined with a Marshall 1967, only a few will truly understand it's value. I played from the Beta to the retail and then a few months on and off and here and there... I haven't explored at least 60% of the game.

Most people won't see the difference between a Yamaha guitar at 500$ versus the Gibson at 3000$. Actually most people will prefer the Yamaha because it's easier to learn, it's easier to play and it's not as deep or heavy (weight) as the Gibson. The Yamaha fret board is made for the casual and hardcore players in mind, it's made to be easy to use and easy to change. The Gibson on the other hand is hard to play, the fret board is a bit bigger and the guitar is very heavy, it takes time for someone to enjoy it.

WoW is fun, it's a game where you can log in and quickly start doing some damage. It's primary focus is to tell the player a story and try to make him live the adventure. An advance player can get L60 in under 2 weeks without the help of anyone. The gear is easy to get until the raids start kicking in but this is where the game lacks for me. The game doesn't provide any tools for the community to flourish. Instances and Raid dungeons are not tools... The only reason you go in these dungeons is for you and you only. Entire guilds die because of loot fighting and such... WoW feels generic, unique items do not exist. Unique Characters do not really exist except for their gear... Exploring the game is a matter of weeks if you are hardcore. WoW is the Yamaha guitar, it's great looking, it plays perfectly, it's easy to use and will make both veteran and newbies shine on it.

Both games are so different though, it's weird to compare them. If Earth and Beyond was still around, maybe and I do say maybe... EVE could  M A Y B E  have a proper competitor. Until pirates of the burning sea is out, I do not see the point of comparing both.

• F'larF'lar Member Posts: 60

I for one find EVE's PvE fun.

True it does not even come close to PvP and honestly should not even be compared to it, but PvE can be interesting if played with low end ships and equipment. Not to mention with the instanced areas that abound throuout the whole game universe give even beginning players a chance to see some of the best and biggest explosions in any MMO.

I dont have much experence in MMOs I have only played EVE and SWG because I'm not really into fantasy ( Elder Scrolls and Lord of the Ring being the very few exceptions) and a majority of MMos out there are fantasy. But I love playing EVE because it lets me play my way, I dont need to be shown were to go or what to do to get the best gear or loot, I rather find that on my own, true I dont expect others to be this way, but it seems to me that there is enough people out there that DO think like this or EVE would never be this popular on this site.

Of cource the fact that EVE was down twice for an extended period MAY have something to do with the votes herer lol.imageimageimage

but I wonder how the votes would look if the "none of the above" option was valad for ALL catagories. I liked it for the one catagory it was in.

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by hercules

Another year ,another call to arms on EVE forums,possibly another clean sweep for eve.
    I wonder if L2,FFX!,EQ2 or WoW done similar rallying calls would eve even make it to finals.I think not as this games all have at least 2+ the number of subs EVE has.
    And please don't say eve getting all this finalist votes because its so super.
    However i think i like this method of few finalist mostly 2 in most categories.I see a lot of people who don't even like WoW or EQ2 casting votes for them  now.

L2 forums wouldn't matter because farmers won't care to vote for the game.
    FFX players are too busy trying to find parties that will last more than 30 seconds.
    SoE is too busy killing their games to mention a website's read's choice awards.
    WoW could have it mentioned on their boards, but Blizzard has damn near 0 interaction with players, whereas alot of EVE players not only have interacted with devs, but actually get to known them and care about their players.

Besides, do you think hordes of WoW players would come swarming here?  Most likely no, because to be honest, the majority of those 7 million couldn't give a damn about the game's image, and it'd take away from their complex spamming, or boar killing in the forest.image

It is odd only two finalists in each catagory, but as these are read choice awards, if the vast majority of readers areEVE/WoW players, then even having other games listed, isn't going to cause one of them to oust EVE or WoW, now is it? ;)

Very astute observation image

Despite being a sell professed EVE fanboi I have to say that the inclusion in best PvE is a tad over the top...

Nevertheless as the poster above has pointed out EVERYONE had an opportunity to vote on the finalists, every developer had the chance to highlight the awards to their fanbase - if EVE is the only MMORPG where the devs can actually be bothered to inform their readers of the awards (and the existence of MMORPG.com) then fair play to them.

I first started reading MMORPG.com around 4/5 years ago when I played a game called Planetarion - and the reason I did - because the Devs behind Planetarion told everyone on thhose forums to support the game in a vote on here...

And if you think that today's voting system is bad please remember that back in those days you didnt even need to be registered (let alone have any posting/activity record) before you could vote.

If EVE fans are dedicated enough to sign up here and actually vote what does that actually tell you about the game. If they were dissatisfied would they even bother going through the rigmarole?

My online gaming goes right back to MUDS played on the old network at uni. Since then I have played all manner of online games from text based games like Planetarion, through to WoW and EVE. All have their attractions in many ways - however for me EVE is the ultimate and I have been playing it for three years now and it just gets better and better.

Do I dislike other MMORPGs - no I dont and I try many of them but EVE drags me back as it does most of its subscribers. Please tell me how many other MMORPGS are still increasing their subscriber numbers over 3 years after they launch?

Yes total EVE subscriber numbers are comparitively small when compared to WoW's but the game (and the developer) started small with a fresh IP, without the built in fanbase, hype and sheer marketing blitz of Blizzard.

Anyway going on now so will stop image

Amarr Victor

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

A reminder for everyone.

The nominations are based 100% on YOUR voting.

We've learned a lesson though. Last year we did nominations and everyone attacked us demanding open categories. This year we did open categories and everyone attacked us demanding nominations. Next year, we'll try a combination of the two image

I realize it's tough to see two games dominate, especially if you don't play either. The fact was though they were the only two games to get statistically significant votes in most of the categories. I could have nominated other games for show, but when you put two games that had votes in the 30s and 40s vs a bunch of games that had less than 5% of the vote, we're just perpetuating a charade.

I had hoped people would vote for the category and not for the game, but sadly it didn't turn out that way and there is nothing to be done but see the thing through.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I don't really see the point of doing this considering the fact there is a community-based rank of the recommended games aka popularity wars. It's just about which game has most subscribers willing to come here willing to help improve the image of their game, not about the game quality itself. Reader's Choice Awards is pointless and we'll see funny unfundamented finalists such as WoW for *generic* PvP, EVE for PvE, WoW for storyline, WoW for graphics, etc.

GW have also a different unique PvP. You will really never ever see another game with a PvP similar to GW. WWII also has a different type of PvP.

D&D Online has great storyline.

Of course, I can only comment on experiences I've had myself. Even though I have a side fully dedicated to GW for its uniqueness, I have a side that wants fairness. EVE deserved its awards on some categories, in others clearly not, same for WoW even though it can be compared to any other generic MMORPG around, like RF Online, Knight Online, EQ, EQII, L2, Archlord and others which I have not experienced. I really look forward the Choice from the Editors, hoping they are fair enough and to their votes based on some solid knowledge, not picking EVE as the one that will appeal as the one that is most likely to rally its players to MMORPG.com as a means of saying "thanks for helping us!". Can't comment on WoW, the player base is huge enough that even a small percentage of it being mature would result in a huge number.

• arrinarrin Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I just wish there was a None of the Above option for all of the categories...
  • DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by arrin
    I just wish there was a None of the Above option for all of the categories...
    We'll write that down for next year, although bluntly, you could add every single other game together in most categories and assume them all to be none of the above and it still wouldn't alter the outcome.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• GunnyFisherGunnyFisher Member Posts: 65

When you have a chance to lose everything you have on you dieing in WoW's Pve, I will consider it.  Ther is simply to little risk in WoW's pve for me.

Have faith in God, believe in antimatter.

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

Originally posted by Lepidus
    A reminder for everyone.

The nominations are based 100% on YOUR voting.

We've learned a lesson though. Last year we did nominations and everyone attacked us demanding open categories. This year we did open categories and everyone attacked us demanding nominations. Next year, we'll try a combination of the two image

I realize it's tough to see two games dominate, especially if you don't play either. The fact was though they were the only two games to get statistically significant votes in most of the categories. I could have nominated other games for show, but when you put two games that had votes in the 30s and 40s vs a bunch of games that had less than 5% of the vote, we're just perpetuating a charade.

I had hoped people would vote for the category and not for the game, but sadly it didn't turn out that way and there is nothing to be done but see the thing through.

LOL I just got your forum avatar, I think... sick little monkey? hahaahaha
  • AskatanAskatan Member Posts: 313
    I love EVE , but I think EQ2 has better graphics (at least with my shiny new Geforce 7900GTX which makes EQ2 look like a next-next-gen MMORPG ^^ )  and superior PvE. That said, I will vote for EVE in PvE, because WoW just plain sucks.
    WoW's PvE is indeed more fun when you start the game, but it soon becomes SO INCREDIBLE pointless as you continue, that it just starts sucking big time. PvE in EVE may not be as good (or as pretty) as in EQ2, but it sure as hell is a lot more meaningful than PvE in WoW

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    I have to admit, the only games I've played this year are Eve, WoW, and EQ2.  I've had fun with all of those.  

• brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100
    I'm a big fan of both Eve and WoW.  If there was a "Best  Community" choice, I'd definately give it to Eve.  I lucked out a few times in WoW with some good servers and guilds, but I think I had a more interesting time community-wise overall with Eve.

But as far as the complaints of all the grinding for loot in WoW.  I remember a LOT of not so fun grinding in Eve for money (and/or mins which in turn led to ships/loot.)  Mining was grinding (horrible grinding.)  Ratting was grinding.  Complexes were grinding.  And mission running was a grind(and gotta be honest, ain't a WHOLE lot of missions to choose from in Eve.)  The PVP was BRILLIANT in Eve, but I still had a different kind of fun with the PVP in WoW. 

Anyways, other than PvP, gave WoW my votes because I really think it raised the bar for upcomming MMORPGs , especially with character control - just SO fluid and "free" feeling.  I can't STAND the fact that in Guild Wars for example, there's all these invisible barriers in the landscape.  And just the first maybe 3 or 4 months of WoW's release were so FUN!  It definately didn't hold me past about a year, but that's about as long as I lasted in Eve.  Great game, but at least when i was last playing, the PVP in eve was turning into  "hurry up and wait..."

Two amazing games in my opinion!  Neither kept my attention for EVER, but I'm sure I'll jump back into both of em at some point just to see what they've evolved into.

imageimage

• dorobudorobu Member Posts: 80
    I'm going to keep this short, simple, and to the point. This is a joke. 2006 awards with 3 or 4 categories only offering Eve and WoW. Give me a break. At least give use the damn trashcan for those topics.

-doro