Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Interview with Tasos Flambouras

Comments

• GoluhGoluh Member Posts: 374

Originally posted by dippitydodah

looking at the screens tho you can already tell it's dated, I'm downlaoding a vid now but I can just tell by the way some of the characters stand it's going to have some bad animation.    Which is one big flaw for taking so long in development.

However hopefully the rest of the content is actually implemented and will make up for it's rather dated engine.   Gameplay always wins over flash.  Animation however is pretty key in my book for how I ike combat, I don't care if the textures are so so or the models a little clunky but if my guy swings his sword like someone who's never held a weapon before I won't be happy.

then darkfall is not for you image

• HeptahHeptah Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by dippitydodah

looking at the screens tho you can already tell it's dated, I'm downlaoding a vid now but I can just tell by the way some of the characters stand it's going to have some bad animation.    Which is one big flaw for taking so long in development.

However hopefully the rest of the content is actually implemented and will make up for it's rather dated engine.   Gameplay always wins over flash.  Animation however is pretty key in my book for how I ike combat, I don't care if the textures are so so or the models a little clunky but if my guy swings his sword like someone who's never held a weapon before I won't be happy.

DF isnt about graphics...its about gameplay. Look their target audience. Its UO/Shadowbane/AC vets. These peeps are going to care less about all the graphics and animations if the game is stable, somewhat bug free and offers 1/2 of what they are promising.

I have been waiting for 4 years for this game. And i dont want them to rush it to beta. That is what the big boys do. They rush out half finished products to placate the masses of fools with no patience.

Take your time devs, the players will be here if you deliver even a fraction of what is promised...provided full loot, full pvp is in.

• RihahnRihahn Member Posts: 146

I've followed Darkfall on and off for years now, and every time they make an announcement with some itty-bitty tidbit of 'new' information I always seem to think, "Shadowbane did that already." or "Sounds like SB with a decent graphics engine."

Any bets on if DF will actually have in-game footage before the guys at Stray Bullet finish Shadowbane II? image

• niccoli00niccoli00 Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Rihahn
    I've followed Darkfall on and off for years now, and every time they make an announcement with some itty-bitty tidbit of 'new' information I always seem to think, "Shadowbane did that already." or "Sounds like SB with a decent graphics engine." Any bets on if DF will actually have in-game footage before the guys at Stray Bullet finish Shadowbane II? image

Problem is the initial release of Shadowbane was so poorly done that, sure, they 'did it already', but the implimentation sucked.

If/When Shadowbane II comes around, they had better have the flaws out of it before release because people are most likely to be a lot more critical of them and the next game.  Major issues that occured at the release of the first Shadowbane I believe are mostly gone, but those weren't the things that kept me from playing.  Level based systems don't work well for PvP in my opinion.  It only creates the huge gap of power difference that more powerful people exploit over and over again.  And while that can be fun, it does get old after a while.  It will be interesting to see what is different in SB2 for certain tho. 

Niccoli

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    The Glorious Future of Online Gaming... I CANT WAIT =)

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• ZonMezzZonMezz Member Posts: 19
    Absolutely agree with Heptah. 'cept it's AC - Darktide vets heh. But anyways.

I also agree with Heptah's
    comment on stability. The game has to be stable for me to play it,
    otherwise pvp becomes very very very screwed up. Leveling becomes a
    real chore, etc.

Fact is, I will not play a game
    unless I hear a majority of the players/critics find it to be stable.
    I'm not talking the half-day maintenance companies seem to need these
    days to ensure everything works ok. I can live with that. I'm talking
    the nightmare that Shadowbane was, that AC2 was years after release
    (tho it was relatively stable for a while there were weeks in a row
    where it wasn't and the devs didn't know what they needed to do to fix
    it).

Here's hoping that Darkfall reaches that point of improbability of
    being stable, relatively complete, and everything that I expect it to
    be BEFORE release. Heh. Fat chance *cries*.

But oh well. Patience.

• Elray2120Elray2120 Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by KillerJimmy
    So
    yeah, as far as the canned interview goes...fans don't care about what
    the game has to offer for amazing features anymore. If they cared about
    their fans, perhaps at year 5 it was time to start being honest. This
    is smelling more and more lik DnL every day. "We have a huge world..."
    (too bad it is boring and doesn't work!) I could have
    so much more hype about this game if, after 6 years, they were looking
    like they are close to release. Saying: "all the skills are in game"
    but not even being ready for closed beta is pretty shady. "Our game is
    complete but we are testing it to do 'balancing' to it...yes, that's
    it...balancing!" Darkfall has two major things to overcome: 1) It's vapor status. 2) The amazing feat of making their combat system work.
    I think Epic Games could pull it off, I think Blizzard could pull it
    off...can a rinky-dink company that is 6 years into development pull
    off the polish that would be needed to make this beast not clunky?
    Unlikely.

Would you rather them not balance
    skills?  I don't really get what your saying.  What the dev
    is saying just about all the skills are in the game.  I am pretty
    sure that is the first time that has been said.  Before it was
    some or most or quite a few. 

Balancing is essential,
    not just some word the devs threw out there to keep the fans
    happy.  Think about how awful the balancing was in WoW when it
    came out...you think blizzard could pull this off?  They don't
    have the balls to pull it off.  It takes a new company to do
    something like this.  I have been plahing MMOs a long time. 
    I remember when Mythic was a small company, I remember when Funcom was
    a small company.  I remember when Verant was a small
    company.  Blizzard never attempted to make an MMO as a small
    company.  They took the innovations of small companies, recycled
    them, added some fluff, and made millions of dollars.  Microsoft
    does the same thing all the time, that is business.  I'm not
    complaining.

However, to do something like this...new,
    innovative, different...it takes a small company with new ideas. 
    Yeah they have been in development a long time.  But first
    consider the size of the endeavor.  Would you want this small dev
    team to push their game out the door like DnL or Roma Victor?  No
    thanks...take your time, get it right, release the game of my
    dreams. 

Also consider what they have done in that 6
    years.  First they made a game, not sure if you saw their original
    screenshots but it looked like EQ.  The difference between what
    they got now and what they had then is comparable to the difference
    between EQ and EQII...not saying their gfx will be as good as EQII, but
    it is like they started working on the sequel before the original was
    done cuz they weren't happy with it.  Good decision I think, if
    they released a crap game to begin with, no one would play the
    sequel.  They also moved to a new country, reformed into
    Aventurine, and brought on some new devs...a move and a restructure
    like that I would imagine takes a lot of time and resources and is
    almost like starting over.

Look, we all know DF isn't
    vaporware and will be released.  They have invested too much to
    not put out anything.  Whether it will be any good or not is yet
    to be seen.  I think 2007 is the year they must release something
    without having to go back the drawing board again when the next-gen
    game raise the bar even higher. 

• FrideloveFridelove Member Posts: 20

This is doomed amateur rubbish. The red flags have long waved for this one just like many others.  Sorry

Here we are some 7 odd years later when this game was first conceived and all they have to show for it are some screenshots , alpha videos and not much else. And judging by those screenshots and videos it appears they are about 10% done with the project.  I won't even get into the circa 2000 graphics.

The game may have succeeded if it was launched in 2003 but it isn;t going to happen for this anymore. Not in this upcoming 2007 market with games like Warhammer and AoC.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by Fridelove

The game may have succeeded if it was launched in 2003 but it isn;t going to happen for this anymore. Not in this upcoming 2007 market with games like Warhammer and AoC.

Why did you leave your lovechild Thrones of Chaos out of that "2007 games"? Oh I know, because no one would take you seriously if you mention that waste of 0's and 1's image
  • valimrvalimr Member Posts: 4

I cannot say that ive been following this game nearly as long as some of you but i can say this, i have alot of experience with product managment and deadlines and its not somthing that a "great game" would fall into.  Deadlines and half hearted jobs are for the big corperations who want your money and nothing more.

I think the devs of this project know what there about from the sounds of it,  they wont give you a date because if they do and they cant live up to it, the fans will go up in flames.  If i was creating a world trying to go to a side of MMO's that has either a) never been done, or b) failed misserably and ruined the name of pvp, i think i would want my product 100% not 90%.  See noone has invested anything more then interest in this game and the devs know it, you can get ancy, mad, flame at them, and whatever else throw a temper tantrum but guess what they know what will happen upon release. 

They release a great game, but there fan fare is mad at them..............yet every person who ever had an interest finds themselves at the store buying this game because we are gamers and we "have to know". If they produce what there promising it wont matter how mad you are now because every single one of us will be praising them when that time comes. image

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by Elray2120

Originally posted by KillerJimmy

So yeah, as far as the canned interview goes...fans don't care about what the game has to offer for amazing features anymore. If they cared about their fans, perhaps at year 5 it was time to start being honest. This is smelling more and more lik DnL every day. "We have a huge world..." (too bad it is boring and doesn't work!)
    I could have so much more hype about this game if, after 6 years, they were looking like they are close to release. Saying: "all the skills are in game" but not even being ready for closed beta is pretty shady. "Our game is complete but we are testing it to do 'balancing' to it...yes, that's it...balancing!"
    Darkfall has two major things to overcome: 1) It's vapor status. 2) The amazing feat of making their combat system work. I think Epic Games could pull it off, I think Blizzard could pull it off...can a rinky-dink company that is 6 years into development pull off the polish that would be needed to make this beast not clunky? Unlikely.

Would you rather them not balance skills?  I don't really get what your saying.  What the dev is saying just about all the skills are in the game.  I am pretty sure that is the first time that has been said.  Before it was some or most or quite a few. 

Balancing is essential, not just some word the devs threw out there to keep the fans happy.  Think about how awful the balancing was in WoW when it came out...you think blizzard could pull this off?  They don't have the balls to pull it off.  It takes a new company to do something like this.  I have been plahing MMOs a long time.  I remember when Mythic was a small company, I remember when Funcom was a small company.  I remember when Verant was a small company.  Blizzard never attempted to make an MMO as a small company.  They took the innovations of small companies, recycled them, added some fluff, and made millions of dollars.  Microsoft does the same thing all the time, that is business.  I'm not complaining.

However, to do something like this...new, innovative, different...it takes a small company with new ideas.  Yeah they have been in development a long time.  But first consider the size of the endeavor.  Would you want this small dev team to push their game out the door like DnL or Roma Victor?  No thanks...take your time, get it right, release the game of my dreams. 

Also consider what they have done in that 6 years.  First they made a game, not sure if you saw their original screenshots but it looked like EQ.  The difference between what they got now and what they had then is comparable to the difference between EQ and EQII...not saying their gfx will be as good as EQII, but it is like they started working on the sequel before the original was done cuz they weren't happy with it.  Good decision I think, if they released a crap game to begin with, no one would play the sequel.  They also moved to a new country, reformed into Aventurine, and brought on some new devs...a move and a restructure like that I would imagine takes a lot of time and resources and is almost like starting over.

Look, we all know DF isn't vaporware and will be released.  They have invested too much to not put out anything.  Whether it will be any good or not is yet to be seen.  I think 2007 is the year they must release something without having to go back the drawing board again when the next-gen game raise the bar even higher. 

I respect that they are trying to balance the game and I expect it will be really hard to do. I know they are developing DF, so I guess the vaporware label doesn't work...but many companies run out of money short of the goal. I'm a developer, I don't develop games...so I can only imagine the pain. But I always want to wait longer to release and and some point you just have to do it.

I also have trouble with companies who say they are porting to a new engine and expect it to be finished in Feb. but then aren't heard from for 9 months. If things go worse, tell your potential customers so you don't lose them.

At this point I really think that balancing as developers is of limited value. People will learn how to exploit strengths and create imbalance. That's a big part of what a beta should be for. Will it be harder to balance than WoW? I expect it would be 10X harder, so I would expect a beta to be quiet long.

WoW is a silly shallow game, but the PvP was the most balanced of any MMORPG I've ever played. People with yell at me for saying it, but I stand by that statement. The worst I remember is Lineage 2 where buffed archers run around 2 shotting everything. In WoW I can play any class and have a fighting chance vs. any other class. The biggest Rock vs. Scissors I can think of is Warrior vs. Rogue. Did I avoid warriors on my rogue? You bet! lol But I still killed many via stunlocking and playing my class to the fullest. On my warrior, in general, I shread rogues...but the odd one still gets me.

I still have high hopes for DF because good ideas do that to me. I'm not really waiting for DF though, other companies who are able to follow development cycles (due to more money or whatever) will have games out for me to play in the New Year. Will they be as good as DF could be? Probably not, but it's something new(ish).

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by ZonMezz
    Absolutely agree with Heptah. 'cept it's AC - Darktide vets heh. 

I was perma-red on a white server, and I'm still looking forward to Darkfall more than any other MMO on the horizon.  It's not just DTers, but anyone who enjoyed -red- PKing in AC. (not the PKL garbage)

• chandrulkachandrulka Member Posts: 2
    Can't wait to play it. Hopefully it gives much adventure and exitement.
    But if you ask me if i am sure that it will be released i must answer i don't.
    Maybe it's time to release some piece of it for testing like they promise with the clan beta.

it's never too late to learn

• NullapaxNullapax Member Posts: 401
    I have been following Darkfall for so long that my browser bookmark for it is in Latin and coverd in cobwebs image

If it ever gets released and conforms to thier vision then it will be a good game regardless of how out of date the graphics are.
    That said it just feels to be taking to long. I felt this same way about D&L and look what a farce that turnd out to be image

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

time to chime in on this title again...

Always an interview, always the same question, always the same answers. Do us a favor devs of this game, don't say or do anything till you have something to release. Your doing yourselves more harm then good at this point. To many titles out there with actual information and monthly release of information to take any word you spill out of your mouths. Save you time, rename this game under a new name and release it fresh when you are 5 months from going live. At this point , I don't know a clan (encluding my large one) that did sign up for your beta a year ago that has any faith in this title. Warhammer is the future of rvr and we see montly information from that game.

This title is dead.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• knowomknowom Member UncommonPosts: 195
  • panchoepanchoe Member Posts: 17
    WoW was in development for 4 years.
    Warhammer Online, for 6.
    Eve Online for almost 10.

Blizzard, Mythic, CCP.  It is obvious that the smallest companies take the longest time to develop a game, but it is the small companies make the most original and interesting games.  Corporations have to answer to the board, individuals need to answer to the heart of the gaming community.  Darkfall may not be perfect, it may be buggy, and it may not have the best graphics, but I'll bet it will be the funnest game I have played in decades. 

It'll be ready when it's ready.  You will buy it.  Everyone will be happy.

• MhorhamMhorham Member Posts: 146

The last two delays have been frustrating but I see they added 2 major features during these times. Manual blocking and racial mounts. Most other games offer that kind of thing with expansions or huge patches that cause all kinds of bugs with a game after gold and never ending rebalancing issues. Instead Aventurine chose to take it on the chin and do these things before publicly testing the game so they will be in and complete for the gold. That is a BIG deal that people are not giving them credit for image

• yangguangyangguang Member Posts: 4

Voyage Century  will begin its Alpha Testing on Dec.8th. I have some testing account.If you want to enjoy the game with me, please send E-Mail to me to ask for accounts.

E-mail:[email protected]                                       

RYAN~

• HeptahHeptah Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by chaintm

time to chime in on this title again...
    Always an interview, always the same question, always the same answers. Do us a favor devs of this game, don't say or do anything till you have something to release. Your doing yourselves more harm then good at this point. To many titles out there with actual information and monthly release of information to take any word you spill out of your mouths. Save you time, rename this game under a new name and release it fresh when you are 5 months from going live. At this point , I don't know a clan (encluding my large one) that did sign up for your beta a year ago that has any faith in this title. Warhammer is the future of rvr and we see montly information from that game.
    This title is dead.

And How long has Warhammer been in Development?

Darkfall is a wait and see. They may or may not pull it off. But I am not going to bash people for giving it a try.

It seems tons of people want their games and want them now. I have seen too many games launched long before they were ready, it is actually kinda refreshing to see devs taking their time to try to do it right.

And like I said earlier...the PvP guilds will be there if it doesnt suck and is stable.

I truly hope that Warhammer isnt that end all be all for PvP in MMORPG for the future because it isnt anything new or even the best of the old.

• bethaneqbethaneq Member Posts: 8
    imageThis game is nothing more then a concept with hype. No money to ever make this game a reality. I'm sick of all the damn talking. Bullcrap is all they have. For crying out loud, the first trailor was a video recorder shot of the game from a monitor. Bunch of jokers.
  • graillgraill Member Posts: 257
    hmmm, pvp with accountability, unlike eve. should be interesting to see if the implementation works.image

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

That was a pretty bad interview. Where were the real questions? All they did was provide questions so the game could be advertised. That was information that could have been part of a FAQ.

How about asking if they are aware of abuse that comes with full PVP systems and how they plan on handling it?

How about asking if they are aware of other games being hyped while developed, promising a lot and failing to deliver like the last few games to be released and how they can assure players that will not happen with their game?

How would they handle griefing (you know people camping outside of cities no matter what is negatively done to their characters) or if they will allow it and turn a blind eye to it?

How about asking what the system specs for the game will be like with actual targeting being apart of their real time combat? How this real time, twitch based combat, actually work and provide fair combat between players?

Things that actually deal with the game in relation to what real players will experience when looking to try it to determine if it's for them or not. I suggest these questions cause a LOT of people aren't against PvP but want accountability and for it to have purpose. They say it will but not how in terms of everyday play is what I'm seeing. There are TONS of problems with full open pvp and full looting. One only needs to look at past pvp games to just get a glimpse at what they are and how those problems can be expanded. How they plan to address these things is key I think for this game to live. If not then it will end up like Shadowbane where a large part I believe for the reason why that game failed was the community itself and those tha abused the open pvp aspect as it drove people that were honestly interesed in the game and it's pvp away.

• GoddessGoddess Member Posts: 3
    I don't care how long they are in development but I do hope they will have updated graphics. I'm feeling excited again to play ffa pvp again. I miss AC 1 alot and my husband misses it too. I love playing AC because it was always exciting. Ya sure sometimes you had griefers but we also knew how to work together to keep our dungeon free from o.O and it wasn't too hard to get away or survive even if there was a higher level beating up on you. Even tho you could kill anyone you would end up forming guilds that made stronger bonds and that would be there to have your back anytime you needed. I love the freedom in that game on your skills and even love their montly storyline updates. I hope Darkfall will be the same but with the updated graphics.
  • StevisStevis Member Posts: 1
    Real time fighting in a fantasy mmorpg heel ya bout time I say.  Noi levels skill increases with use sounds like and upgraded version of UO. Im hyped and am gonna give it a shot.

When your up your up, when your down your down.