Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of giving WoW another try, need some advice from the more mature players please.

neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

I freely admit it, I have bashed WoW at every available opportunity.

This is due to playing it for the free month back in January of this year. My experience of the game then totally put me off and I cancelled and uninstalled before my first payment was due. I had 3 characters all on the Alliance side; a 38 NE Druid, a 29 Human Warrior and a 18 Human Priest. What put me off the game? Answer - the community. I may have been unlucky with my server choice, I dont know (Laughing Skull PvP Euro) but I never met one person ingame that wasnt a leetspeaking, selfish moron.

I am now in the position that I have tried nearly every MMORPG on the market and still cant find a replacement for my old game (Pre-CU SWG). Hence, I am thinking of giving WoW another try, I mean there must be some decent people who play the game out of the 7.5 million subscribers, right?

The reason I am posting here is for some advice from the friendly, more mature members of the WoW community.

1. Is there one faction with a more noticable mature population - Horde or Alliance (was always Imperial in SWG)?

2. Are there any specific servers (US or Euro) that have a more mature population? I'm guessing that some of the RP servers will be the answer here, but do any of the RPPvP servers have a community such as this?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer these queeries as when I played the game previously, I enjoyed the gameplay, just not the community. Cheers!

MMORPG History:
Playing - EVE Online.
Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

Comments

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Roll Horde. I don't know what server, but roll Horde.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    I've never noticed a ton of immature players on either side. Only time I really spoted some was when I was in the barrens with my horde character. Other than that I haven't seen any imature people making themselves vocal ingame.

By the way, i'm playing alliance mainly on "Hellscream". PvE though.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by BobCrazyton
    Roll Horde. I don't know what server, but roll Horde.
    Two words to forever refute that arguement: Barrens Chat.

Each side has it's over abundance of retarded people, but the lower
    levels seem worst from my experience.  As you level up you'll
    notice people becoming less and less idiotic and acting more like
    humans with at least a 7th grade education.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• haudvicushaudvicus Member Posts: 176

It's unfortunate, but people suck. Of all the things humanity has accomplished, we have yet to remove stupidity from our schools or indifference from our hearts. Watch out universe! We have no idea what we're doing!

However, don't ever quit an MMO because of the people. There are always options, such as choosing another server or even another server type. These are the four in WoW, broken down:

Carebear Server (Normal) - This is a good place for the casual player to go. You got a good mix of people and don't lose much to the server. I played here when I started as Alliance because it seemed safe. However, at that time noobs were spamming stupid questions across the world. Believe me, these questions made me feel like a true veteran.

Fair Game Server (PvP) - I came here after about a week, and it wasn't too bad. This view coming from someone who was used to Asheron's Call's Unlimited PvP, where "swear or die" was your battlecry. People that play here are a little on the hardcore side, as you can't leave PvP when you want to go back to normal play. Often you'll find yourself outmatched when adventuring, even when grouped. Best not to start here unless you're immune to death burnout.

Roleplaying Servers (RP/PvPRP) - Don't know too much about the RP server, but the PVPRP server was different to say the least. It was fairly casual, but people didn't spam as much. They aren't as hardcore as I thought, but still it's a different game when you play in a serious group. Pretty fun, but not what I'd call PvP.

Either flavor you choose, the game is the same. I used to think Alliance had the most problems, but as mentioned, both sides carry pretty much the same "imagesuperimagespecialimageplayerimage" count.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    Just play the game for what it is man.  Some people, I feel try to get so hardcore into games like MMO's and get burnt out.  Only play when you feel like it, and don't play more than 2 hours or so a night.  I'm enjoying WoW right now and that's what I'm doing.  I used to try and play all the time, wasn't worth it.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080
    Hi. Well.......There's equal immature people on both sides, in my opinion, I have chars on both....The most mature playerbase I've found is on the RP servers, namely Feathermoon.

• Well the gnereic repsonse would be Horde on a RP or RPPVP server.  But the better response is just find a good guild.

Either way WoW is not a good substitute for pre-cu SWG.

• aweenaween Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Hey man i was in the same position as u but now i have reactivated and man it feels good ive come back to my old troll mage on Sunstrider and loving it.

Id say sunstrider is a nice community and also horde would most likely be the way to go as all of the little "children" think alliance are good and therefore want to roll as an alliance character(My theory anway :P) Hope to see you around :)

If you go Horde .....Names Zenick look me up image
  • Lukane77Lukane77 Member Posts: 32

From another mature player, I'd say roll horde, and stay off the pvp servers.  The Pve and RP servers seem to have less jackasses.  You will find imature kiddies on both sides, but toward the higher levels it seems that the Horde has a better tighter community.  However a few things to consider:

If you are a raider, you will have better luck on the alliance side finding full raiding guilds.

If you are PvP-er (like I am) then Horde is a better choice, they win most of the WSG and AB's.

Of course I'm going to get flamed for this post because I'm using broad and wide generalizations, and of course servers are all different and there are exceptions on both sides.  But from someone that has played since day 1, those are my impressions of each side.

/salute to a fellow imp, my hunter needs a pet rancor.

Favorite mmorpg's:
    SWG
    WoW

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by gestalt11 Either way WoW is not a good substitute for pre-cu SWG.

Lol, unfortunately nothing is my friend. ::::16::

Was just considering a return to WoW because even though it is nowhere near as in-depth as Pre-CU SWG, at least it works and is polished, unlike many of the other games that I have tried in my quest for a replacement.

Thanks for the replies so far all. I am actually considering trying something new for me and perhaps rolling an RP toon on an RP server, havent decided for definate yet though.

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

1. Horde. The alliance are usually nubcakes and lose like every BG. All the kids that are like 11- also choses alliance because they wanna be the "good" side, even tho the horde is more "good".

2. Magtheridon is a server with many wellknown guilds, one is for example Nihilium the most famous guild. Otherways Frostmane also works good with Mementomori, and many guilds who has cleared Naxx. Remember to not chose a recommanded if u want to find the real g33ks (which u don't want, but...)

• eshieshi Member Posts: 99
    Don't forget, theres a rumor going around that SOE might bring back some Pre-Cu servers in Q1, so just keep an eye out for this, how accurate this statement is i do not know, check up on it in the SWG forums.

• KickphatKickphat Member Posts: 189

I play on the Durotan server and have never ran into any that speak L33t talk what so ever i join this server because a few people i knew from SWG played on i really run into alot of old SWG players on this server. The only bad thing is it is a very full server at peak times there might be 500 people inline to get on the server. Which can take up to 30 minutes to get on sometimes. but alot of times 500 people can get on and off in 2 or 3 minutes

• mongoosermongooser Member Posts: 4

Well if you can handle the truth, no do not go back.  I was the first player in WOW to have all the classes level capped as well as the crafting capped, and I can tell you it is better just to wait.    Vanguard is coming out in January, which should be able to hold you over until Warhammer comes out.  I have a little over 2000 hours wrapped up in WOW and I can tell you it is really hollow at the end game.  Of course I was "paid to play" as a writer for a strategy website so I was playing as a "job" otherwise I would have quit long before I capped the classes out.  What is funny is I still have the account with all the classes at 60, all Horde except the Pally and all on pvp servers.  When I got reassigned to AD&D and Auto Assault I threw the account up on ebay and could not get a decent price so I just kept the account.

The next MMO that will be worth playing will be Warhammer.  Vanguard is "O.K." but will not last long unless they put "meaningful" PvP into it, but should hold you over, instead of WOW, until Warhammer is released.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

As much as I feel for you Neilh, you just quite simply looking for broad sweeping maturity in the wrong game.

This isn't to say that all of the WoW community is bad, because it's really not, your just much less likely to find it or at least have it find you. To do so you really have to go out of your way, look on the forums to find a group that does no play into the idiotic pre-pubescent games, group frequently and try to find other people with similar attitudes and play styles and of course finally, try to set yourself up with a guild that shares in your vision of gaming in this sort of environment.

To liken this to SWG (pre-cu), and I played beta/release for 2 years so I know what your feeling here, is hard to begin with. In those times the mature player base sucked you in and you didn't really have to go out looking for it and even those less mature people in the community didn't seem all that bad because they didn't have 500 other children behind them egging them on and making it 500 times worse. WoW is like a bad school yard project gone ary in this respect and for those of us that would enjoy a mature gaming experience it can be a daunting experience to say the least.

As far as server choice though, I'd try to stay away from any of the long standing/heavily populated servers as they tend to have an extablished social dynamic that can be hard to get into, which then leaves you with the people that have been rejected by that dynamic and they are typically annoying as hell. Try a server like The Venture Company which is a RP-PVP server and has a farily good name up till now, it's a med pop server (whihc means about 10k at peak) and some good guilds.

hope that helps.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Doh, double post.

• dinalthdinalth Member Posts: 5

All i have to say on this is I have flamed wow a lot but sadly it is the best out there for the time being... as for the people ignore them look for a good mature guild... no side is better than the other and every server has its good and bad parts.  But i would never advise you to play a pvp server thats mostly where youll run into more pricks than anything else at least a non pvp server they cant run up and obliterate you as a lowbie
    In the pvp aspect seemingly the horde racial characteristics are way more powerful than the alliance is but suddenly at lvl 60 the alliance always seems to come out ahead.  I have played the game on most all servers and sides and i found that it really makes no differance at all the only difference youll see is do you want to be ganked on a pvp server or flamed for not role-playing on an rp server.
    I currently play on the Windrunner server as alliance but have many other chars accross many different servers mostly horde.  I found that the worst chat channel in the entire game is the barrens horde chat in there ppl are just retarded However the alliance has the westfall chat where there are a bunch of noobs freaking out cause some high lvl horde is attacking.
    The whole game seems to boil down to meet good ppl and get a good guild thatll solve all the problemsimage
                   Main toon -> Derodd 60 war on windrunner
  • HajenHajen Member Posts: 50
    Well... If your going to start playing WoW againg, roll horde. But remeber thatalot of good mmorpgs will be released 2007... Age of conan, vanguad etc image

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730
    I say Horde is better having played both (First year Alliance, this year Horde). When you get to the Barrens, just turn off General channel. It isn't as bad on existing servers as it is on new servers. Also roll on a RPPvP server.

• CalbiyumCalbiyum Member Posts: 44
    Don't.
  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Its not bad, just do this after you log in.

/leave 2.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• ThegreatkhanThegreatkhan Member Posts: 33
    1.Depends on server
    2.No idea, never played on an rp server.Pvp is my style
    Make some posts on the wow forums for a mature guild

• jsw40jsw40 Member Posts: 214

If I could do it all over again, I would roll Horde.

A Horde Undead Warlock, to be exact.

But then again, I know you don't care about classes and races, so I'll answer your original question. For the most part, the Horde generally has a larger population of adults and 'mature' people, but that doesn't go to say there aren't idiots in both factions. I also recommend an RPPvP server; I play on Emerald Dream and the maturity of the community is the very LEAST of my problems with WoW - if anything the community and my guild is the only reason I bother to log on every now and then.

I'm an Alliance player, so this may be a case of the grass being greener on the other side, but from a true attempt at being unbiased Horde just still seems more mature, although sometimes a tad more boring.

Hope that helps.

• MatchuMatchu Member UncommonPosts: 24

As a mature player myself, I can certainly understand your concern about the attitudes of many players within the Wow community. From my perspective it is, as has been stated above, important to find yourself a good Guild, of like minded people. As at the end game these will be the people that you will interact with to a fairly high degree. Across the various servers there are many Guilds which may fit your personal circumstances and game requirments/expectations. You probably need to determine the latter for yourself then consider where you "fit" in from a Guild perspective then have  a go.

There are Guilds for example which suite those with work and family commitments, for example, "Thunder and Lightning"  who are on the Kilrogg server, and operate a Guild for both Alliance and Horde, plus you can "grind" up with them as opposed to many guilds who require you to be level 60 and have a certain gear level.

Hope this helps a little.

Matchu

Mage

Haomarush

• MatchuMatchu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Oh and for the record, I am also an ex-SWG player image