Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions.

Well on joining this game the first thing i noticed was the inability to make half of the characters due to not having the many expansions installed however i looked past this and improvised on getting into the game i was supprised at how ... ungraphical it was .... having such a high spec machine and still seeing squares was quite scary the combat system was ok not as fast paced as i would have liked it to be and i met some nice people to walk me around but one thing that played on my mind asside the naff graphics was the lack of things to do the tutorial appeared to be the closest thing to a quest i could find the monsters outside where far from hard to kill my little sister still plays the game because she can play it for free but i have as such given up on the game.

Comments

• nothing2geinnothing2gein Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by OphielleDiab
    Well on joining this game the first thing i noticed was the inability to make half of the characters due to not having the many expansions installed however i looked past this and improvised on getting into the game i was supprised at how ... ungraphical it was .... having such a high spec machine and still seeing squares was quite scary the combat system was ok not as fast paced as i would have liked it to be and i met some nice people to walk me around but one thing that played on my mind asside the naff graphics was the lack of things to do the tutorial appeared to be the closest thing to a quest i could find the monsters outside where far from hard to kill my little sister still plays the game because she can play it for free but i have as such given up on the game.

Hmmm.. You only have two profs blocked, that is no where near half. The game is past 5 years old. What do you expect from the graphics. They don't have SOE money to update them like EQ. There is a reason behind there being just the tutorial on the starter island, IT IS THE STARTING ISLAND. You would fair better in the game if you had gone past the tutorial. This isn't WoW where they hold your hand the entire time.

But oh well...........

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by OphielleDiab

First of all, I don't believe you even tried to play. Like the last poster said, you are only barred from two professions without the expansions, Shade and Keeper. Secondly, I don't know what you classify as a "high spec" machine, but if you were seeing squares, you've got a graphic card issue, not the game. Third, you are given a quest right off the bat ass soon as you materialize on mainland, so maybe those bothersome "squares" you were talking about were the kind that have lettering in them, therefore requireing you to read. Fourth, AO is a much more complex game than WoW or most games as far as customizability/ fine tweaking your character/ etc., so maybe you shouldn't let the world know that your little sister can play and you can't, 'cause it really brings your intelligence into question. My suggestion: GBTW::::02::

• courtdogcourtdog Member Posts: 73

first get off noob island

second get to lvl 50... then talk about it

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

Originally posted by courtdog
    first get off noob island second get to lvl 50... then talk about it
    Even 20 would suffice.

I love how he thinks he can't use half of the characters.. when your restricted from 2. imageimage

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by Nadril

Originally posted by courtdog

first get off noob island
    second get to lvl 50... then talk about it

Even 20 would suffice.

I love how he thinks he can't use half of the characters.. when your restricted from 2. imageimage

In his defense, the Shade and the Keeper are the coolest looking of the bunch

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• sparky7483sparky7483 Member Posts: 159
    Makes me feel glad that i quit that sh*t of an mmo RS

Life is full of choices--dont make RS one of em
    ----------
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

• StarkStark Member Posts: 119

To be fair some people might not know how old AO is. AO is one of the most complex MMO's and will never satisfy the WOW crowd. There are few quests in the game. Instead AO has missions that you can run. Try explaing how missions work to a new player (most don't understand that basic concept). AO is not user friendly when it comes to the learning curve.

• bowgold789bowgold789 Member Posts: 1
    i do not understand every bodyimage
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by bowgold789
    i do not understand every body

::::12::

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684
    You'd think that when you first appear on the island, you'd run up to the guy there. I mean, even if you've never played the game before, most people would think to themselves "Hey, theres a guy there...maybe I can talk to him", but I guess thats giving too much credit to the majority.

And just reading the creators post shows that he didn't really READ anything while making his character.

It pretty much tells you what professions you have, what those professions can do, and how hard they are to play, and if you can play them without shadowlands. ( And if you go to the main site or read the forums, it basicly TELLS you what professions are good to start with anyway. And who would want to start the game with a Shade? Yeah, they're pretty cool, but they're one of the hardest classes in the game. )

This game isn't nearly as armor dependent as Wow either, you don't need to twink your character in order to play it.

Jesus, people are just dumb.

Groovy.

• BafucinBafucin Member Posts: 276

Don't forget that AO also have "secret" stuff, that you might not know about when you are new. Even from lvl 1 you can change your armor and weapons and thats just at lvl 1. Not all people know that.

AO also have quests that you don't know about. You can find a NPC and he can talk about something and after that it's up to you to try find out. Maybe that is bad or maybe it gives you more adventure. I dunno.

AO also have a lot of items that can be changed into better. Millions of items for you to find. And again, it's not easy to know where to start.

It's not like WoW. WoW is made so players have it easy, not much thinking etc.

My suggestion is to find a guild and also find a website that can help you with quests, items etc.

It will give you more fun ingame.

• Jaga-ArcaneJaga-Arcane Member Posts: 24

It's a 5+ year old game.  While it had a rocky start, it was considered "gorgeous" then in terms of graphics.  I still remember flying through the clouds on my first Yalmaha and being exhilarated from the experience.  The fact that Funcom decided to spend money from it's ads on *other* MMOGs instead of AO might have been a mistake, as it leaves it outdated.  But since we aren't the devs or investors, we have little say or knowledge of their plans.  Fact is, it is quite acceptible if you have a decent machine.  Don't expect eye-candy, expect immersive gameplay where part of that immersiveness is you playing the role of your character.

You barely scratched the surface of the content.  Being five years old and having 3 expansions (and a fourth soon) means it is not only successful, but quite complicated and involved when it comes to things you can do.  I just returned to it after a 4.5 year absence, and I'm really enjoying seeing where it's gone.  In fact, I'm probably back for good, until something else good launches or AO gets a major facelift (which we shouldn't count out).

If you saw squares, you either have a hardware problem, or a driver problem with your graphics card.  Possible DirectX issue too.  People wouldn't play the game if it had big blocky squares in it, and since they do...  easy math there.  Update your drivers and DirectX and try it again.

Get yourself some of the beginner guides and do a little reading.  You'll soon discover that when you get around in the game and discover all there is, you'll not be bored at all.  Additionally, look into joining an Org (organization or guild) so that you have insta-friends to talk to and do things with.  If you finally decide to stick with them they may have (or later build) a city, providing you with that much more to get involved in.  There's certainly no lack of things to do in the game, unless you play 24/7 for a year straight and burn up all the content right away.

Hope this helps a bit.  AO's graphics might be a tad outdated, but it's very playable, extremely rich in content, and one of the longer running (and more popular) games available today.  Give it another look, read those guides you might have found, and have fun in AO!