Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks a little disapointing?

can i ask that before you flame, please contribute something meaningful to this thread.

Ive been excited about playing LOTRO for some time now and i still cant get into the beta, but looking at the screenshots and the video on the front page of the europe site...

Am i the only person who thinks this game looks disapointing? i feel that the only thing that will fuel the players to actually play this game is because they are 'fans'.

Looking at a couple of screenshots of hobbits, and even men. why have i not seen any curly hair yet? all ive seen so far is a head that looks like the top part has been painted one colour.

The fighting system - after looking at the video on the europe front page, again it looks boring and the realism looks stupid.
The way the people seem to fight is - stand for 3 seconds - swing blade - stand 3 seconds - get hit - stand 3 seconds - swing blade - stand 3 seconds and so on... wheres the fun/excitement in that? i dont think ANYONE wants to sit here and watch a fight like this.
The battles should be alot more fluent such as swinging consistantly and attacking in different areas and even parrying blows.

Again at the graphics, i know the film isn't THE way that Lord of the Rings should look but dont you think the screenshots should look a little better? at the moment the graphics look extremely outdated and the lighting looks completely wrong setting the wrong mood and atmosphere.

Some people are gonna reply and say that graphics arent everything (true) but when your making a fantasy game where you want middle-earth to be believable rather than a world thats made up of a some polygons stuck together.

One thing i dont know about yet is adventure within this game? is it gonna be like other MMORPGS where you get a quest from a town, kill a couple of monsters and go back and get another from the same town and do his quest then return till your high enough to advance onto the next area? or is there going to be less town interaction and more of an adventure traveling through the lands, meeting people on the way and gathering quests and killing so on?

none

Comments

• BeldwynBeldwyn Member Posts: 53
    Well, I do see your point but I belive its simply too early to tell. Its months until release, no need to can this game until we have seen some expert reviews on it.
  • LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    Too early to tell. I'd give it a few more months before judging the game.
  • KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by Beldwyn
    Well, I do see your point but I belive its simply too early to tell. Its months until release, no need to can this game until we have seen some expert reviews on it.

Don't expert reviews say EQ2 is a great game?! hehe

I guess I'll keep doing my own reviews or listen to the 6 people I trust about good games.image

• RK-MaraRK-Mara Member Posts: 641
    You are judging this game way too early! It's still on early beta stage and as I know those combat vids are from alpha.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    As people are saying its still early. However from the character customization and classes/races I have seen I'm very dissapointed. This could have been a huge game, a great game given such a strong story they have and such a huge following, but with only 5 classes and 4 races and from screenshots I've seen I'm very dissapointed. This could have been so much better but people just seemingly won't put effort in since they probably think it won't need it since it has Lord of the Rings in the name, and sadly they're probably right.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
        Chessack hit it right on the nose. A game is really going to be what it was when it was born for the rest of its life. Granted it can be added to but that has a limited effect. We all know what happens when you try to force to many unplanned changes onto a gameimage I dont even have to say the games name. Games like CoH realize that once you have your base usership your set and your best off just appealing to that nice. CoH does what it does very wellimage
    Granted Im very biased since im a fan of it. image

Chessack, what's all that talk about violating NDA? You are already breaking it.

Originally posted by Chessack

Originally posted by RK-Mara
    Chessack, what's all that talk about violating NDA? You are already breaking it.

How did I break the NDA? I have said nothing about the game other than it bored me and I stopped playing the beta. I have not discussed a single feature. I have not described the engine, the quest system, etc. I have not said anything about my in-game experiences. I haven't described the game features in even the vaguest terms. I used COH as my example rather than LOTR. Please explain to me how that is a violation of LOTR's NDA.

C

As far as I've heard, the LOTR NDA does not allow you to even say you are in or were in the beta. So you agreed to not even speak of being in the beta when you agreed to the NDA...

It all seems pretty silly to me, I've never heard of an NDA covering that much until now. Personally, it sends up huge red flags that the company is trying to hide something (i.e. bored testers or pissed off testers). Guess that doesn't make it right to break a legal agreement though.

I read the NDA carefully looking for that and saw no such stipulation about just saying you are *in* beta. They may have changed it since then, though. If so I did not sign any new versions of it. I got into very very early beta, played a week or two, got bored, and never logged in or visited their website again.

C

If you've read it carefully and it said nothing about it (as I would expect after my many NDAs for work and gaming), then carry on! hehe If they've changed it since then, it really doesn't matter either since the NDA you agreed to didn't include that.

If they have changed it to require more tight lipped, I think it really fortells the coming of DDO II from turbine. lol After boring early testers so badly that they won't play anymore, I think I'd try to minimize negative "press" too.

• mrgrimrprmrgrimrpr Member Posts: 87

Turbine seems pretty anal about the NDA.

Everyone is going to at least say they got in, because its cool that we did! I was surprised when I got into the DAoC beta, and I told everyone. So what? Not like I disclosed anything confidential...

Except for that one night in Morocco... Mythic drugged me, and tried to make me tell them the secrets of the LOTR Online beta. I gave in =(

• VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230

I read the NDA carefully looking for that and saw no such stipulation about just saying you are *in* beta. They may have changed it since then, though. If so I did not sign any new versions of it. I got into very very early beta, played a week or two, got bored, and never logged in or visited their website again.

C

And this is why they need better beta screenings. People just want to "try" out a game instead of beta test and report bugs.

• DaProdigyDaProdigy Member Posts: 20
    Chessack hit the nail dead on its head.

Like many, I'm a MMO vet who's looking for that next big thing after the SWG fiasco. Being mildly interested in the LOTR epic, I can honestly say that this isn't it.

The fanboys on the beta forum are quick to say that *somehow* LOTR will offer more or have features to set itself apart from the dozens of cookie-cutter MMOs already out there. Or, my favorite, "It's only beta.. IT'S TOO SOON TO TELL."

As Chessack already explained.. No, it isn't.

Sure, they'll add this feature.. modify that.. add a bit more polish, but we're already playing the base game. I came into this with an open mind.. hell, I was PRAYING that LOTRO would be the next big MMO. But it isn't. I guess Turbine is banking off the license to draw in fans. And, honestly, it has. There are rabid fanboys who already believe that this game can do no wrong. But if you're in the market, like me, for the next big MMO.. Keep looking. There's nothing here, or that we know of, that will set this apart from being the next cookie-cutter MMO. I got accepted sometime early last month, and it DOES have a few promising things, but not enough to warrant a subscription from me.

I actually uninstalled the client a few weeks back to temporarily make room for other trials.. Since then, I've redownloaded the setup client, but I still haven't installed it. It's just sitting there on my desktop.

Hey, I was hoping for the next big MMO as much as the next guy.. but this isn't it. And when it does release, you can see for yourself.

• mysticalaeonmysticalaeon Member Posts: 10
    I just had a look at the game information and counted the beastiary.

There are in total: 14 ?! im not sure if these will be the only beasts in the game but come on, these looked like boss enemies too. Its gonna be extremely boring killing same old orcs for the entire game.

As someone said, this company set goals and had ideas. And it seemed their goal was overall to make ANOTHER mmorpg. same old same old, nothing new.

Im not sure if its because games are costing too much to take risks and try new things or if its cause they wanted to quickly make an MMORPG that would instantly be popular only because of its name.

Same old MMORPG killing monsters leveling up but with a lord of the rings skin. Im a really big fan of LOTR, and someone said that these users will be the only players that stay. Well i havent played it yet but before even playing i have my mind set on not liking this game (not really my choice, the marketing made it happen)

Anymore thoughts?

none

Originally posted by mysticalaeon
    I just had a look at the game information and counted the beastiary.

There are in total: 14 ?! im not sure if these will be the only beasts in the game but come on, these looked like boss enemies too. Its gonna be extremely boring killing same old orcs for the entire game.

I suppose those aren't all. Turbine just doesn't want to show everything.
    Check dragon from the beastiary. There reads ''We'll leave his backstory and name a secret for now...''

People already judge this game too much, because they know much more about it than other upcoming MMO's.
    Everyone is saying that WAR will be a great game (and it will be), but how much do we really know about it? We can't even get info about elves yet.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Originally posted by KillerJimmy

It all seems pretty silly to me, I've never heard of an NDA covering that much until now. Personally, it sends up huge red flags that the company is trying to hide something (i.e. bored testers or pissed off testers).

If you had invsted millions of dollars in developing a game that systems and information associated with it that you would prefer your competitors did not have advanced warning of, I think you would see some of the reasons behind NDA's.

Im locking this topic and reminding ALL OF YOU, if you are in the BETA you are priveleged and have an obligation to yourself and Turbine to keep the agreement you made when you accepted tester status.

Further breaches will be dealt with more harshley than these have been.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

This discussion has been closed.