Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migration wave from Earth & Beyond

2»

Comments

• HeartlandHeartland Member Posts: 103

So what you're saying is I'm 100% correct. 

Pretty much, yes! Except where you stated that Eve required no tactics.

Eve is based on your CHARACTER rather than YOUR skill in combat.  Your ability to fight is heavily dependant on your ability to "get stuff" for your ship.

To a certain degree, in that the character requires certain skills to fit and use certain modules. The "get stuff" factor isn't as high as one might think, as rare modules are pretty hard to find. Ships can be insured and people cloned, but rare modules cannot. As a result a lot of people use basic modules in the risky PvP environment.

Since you like to point out the "simming factor", a more valid comparison would be that Jumpgate is more like Il-2 Sturmovik (my favourite WWII sim), while Eve is more like Falcon 4 (my favourite modern sim). Falcon 4 is a whole lot more about the "stuff" you're using, application of proper module, locking on and letting the weapon do its job (Eve), rather than getting into sweat-dripping scissors turn with a Bf-109 (Jumpgate, I gather, from the comments). Jumpgate certainly sounds like it carries on the fine tradition of "World War II in space" as portrayed in Star Wars and most other movies. Eve goes for a more modern approach with a lot of electronic warfare, lock-on, missiles and targeting issues. In fact, Eve ships are called cruisers and battleships for a reason, a more valid real-life comparison would be naval vessels slugging it out, rather than fighters.

Anyway, my point with all this is, saying that Eve requires no tactics and the "character" does all the fighting is simply, flat-out, wrong. It's a bit like saying the US Navy Admirals at Midway didn't require any tactics to win, all they did was click the "launch aircraft" button on their carriers!

For folks who are looking for something more 'first person' then JumpGate is what they should lok into.

This looks like a spot-on comment. Actually, based on this discussion I'm sort of getting the urge to try out Jumpgate as well, for a bit of variety...  

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Exactly... And you worded it much better than I.  The thing I love most about EVE is the variety and the ability to really tweak things out.  Jumpgate has that to an extent too but combat is based on your abilities to react quickly etc.  Equipment DOES play a factor in Jumpgate (bigger guns, better generators, faster engines, etc) but the player's PVP experience and PILOTING SKILL (pull an immelman, roll out of the line of fire, etc, DOGFIGHTING) is a much bigger contributor to the battle with other players than any other aspect of the game.  In EVE, at least from my experience, PVP experience is a factor but beyond that the game takes over the flying so the "piloting skill" isn't really a factor. 

In both games your equipment assists you but doesn't completely decide.  Jumpgate just adds that "I'm really THERE" feeling to combat.  In EVE I wind up feeling very detatched during combat sometimes.  Both games offer a lot to the player.  Playstyle is the real deciding factor between the two games.  I like EVE's environment much better.  The combat in Jumpgate is much more "seat-of-the-pants" though. 

Both games have expensive ships so the factor mentioned by another user applies to both.  In Jumpgate if you lose your ship it's expensive, just like EVE.  Moreso in some cases because you can't insure them.  The insurance system in Jumpgate is based on your live/death ratio so a lot of times if you're losing it's better to cut-and-run than to try to fight to the death.  If your death ratio is too high your insurance tanks and you are refunded based on your ratio so if you have a 10% ratio (based on time played & missions flown vs # of deaths) you only get 10% of the cost of the ship back when you die.  On the other hand if you have a 100% insurance ratio (meaning you NEVER get aced) you get 100% of the cost refunded (though you may still have to fly a junker ship from wherever you last docked to the place you can get your 'spiffy-keen-super-cool' Heavy Combat Fighter. 

I like both games.  Just letting folks know that if EVE isn't their bag then they should give Jumpgate a try (or vice versa for that matter but there isn't a Jumpgate forum here to tell people about EVE on)... and, since Jumpgate is so damn cheap (free download, 10 day free trial, 9.95/month, and for E&B users send them the CD's gives an additional 20 days on the free trial) it's almost worth subscribing to both games.  (Which I'm actually considering since my wife and I have finally decided to drop our UO subscriptions).

My goal isn't to steal folks from EVE, it's to help my fellow outcasts from E&B find a home they'll be happiest in ;)

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• wizardpetewizardpete Member Posts: 28

OK, now I have a bit more of a picture with the game than I had before. Been playing now for a couple of days and it is awesome in some ways and still growing on me in other ways. Certain is that if I related it back to E&B and the three main criteria we had there, the analysis is as follows:

COMBAT - EVE a lot more long distance. You don't really need any hands on skills to get your kills. A lot more tactical and at this point a lot less fun than E&B.

TRADE - Awesome possibilities and really effect of market. I think there is a lot more to do with building and research than there ever was in E&B. In addition you can actually make a good living with just building. E&B was not very profitable that way unless you were really lucky and the blueprints just keep being added (new content). So, I would say that on Trade surely wins.

EXPLORATION - Not even in the same league. E&B was fund with the different types of ores and all, even the refining is somewhat similar, but the universe is just INSANE!! So much to see, explore, etc. Love the activity map of the universe by the way. So much more attention to detail and diversity. Surely EVE wins on this one hands down.

So summarizing the score, I think 2:1 for EVE and overall a very good game. In addition graphics and possibilities are great. I am sure I am going to love playing this game. A lot of my original guild is joining as well. Thanks for the comments people.

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

Nice to see you are enjoying yourself. It is true that eve combat is more tactical and less action then in E&B. The action will come to you as soon you engage a PvP combat situation.

I played E&B myself a long time ago before i switched (and i liked E&B too) and i never got my heart pounding like crazy. I was attacked by a pirate player while i was sitting in my 120 million Battleship. I never had this feeling in any game so far. It was like i'd have to jump out of a plane with a parachute. Even 5 minutes after the fight (hehe i owned that bitch) i was not calmed down. I had adrenaline rushing through my veins still.

The fact that you have to loose a lot in PvP here (even with the new insurance wich made it a lot better tho) makes combat exciting.

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

I never had this feeling in any game so far. It was like i'd have to jump out of a plane with a parachute. Even 5 minutes after the fight (hehe i owned that bitch) i was not calmed down. I had adrenaline rushing through my veins still.
    The fact that you have to loose a lot in PvP here (even with the new insurance wich made it a lot better tho) makes combat exciting.

That is quite possibly the best description of EVE I have read.  It's the adrenaline rush that you get that keeps me coming back to this game.  I have not played an mmo that even comes close to Eve in that sense.

Aye, I agree with both of you about the adrenaline rush.  The PVP combat in EVE is definitely increased in 'reality' since you actually have something to lose (something ALL MMO's need to learn). 

Love this game and Jumpgate... definitely my two favorite MMO's now.

Sig image Pending

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149
    It's always good to cherish the fact that you have cost your opponent a hefty amount of money.  Unless they're uber rich you know they're just not going to respawn and be back in 10 minutes.

Yup. As I said before though ;) Jumpgate has the same effect. Ships aren't cheap by any means there either ;)

Sig image Pending