Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever made new freinds that play the same mmorpg as you

i made two freinds from playing wow i just got it yesterday and it is sweet

but the question is you ever made freinds from a mmorpg

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Oh yes, tons. Playing MMORPG's is a good way to make friends.
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Hell yeah... GOOD friends. I went to Canada and the USA in 2000 to visit friends I met playing UO. We moved to EQ and then recently a couple of them came over to WoW. But we all still talk on Ventrilo and have known each other for around 7 years now.

MMO's are a great way to meet people and you immediately know you have at least one thing in common image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• Giovanni_VGiovanni_V Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by AbsoluteDude

i made two freinds from playing wow i just got it yesterday and it is sweet
    but the question is you ever made freinds from a mmorpg

Yes, several. I just wish I stayed in better contact with them after I stopped playing whatever game I met them in.

• Entreri28Entreri28 Member Posts: 589
    Yes I have.  A classmate of mine who I wasn't friend with played UO.  I somehow sensed that he played it and asked him if he did.  Then we became friends.

Your mind is like a parachute, it's only useful when it's open.
    Don't forget, you can use the block function on trolls.

• BlackRozeBlackRoze Member Posts: 55

i dunno i met the friend, then REALIZED he played guild wars. then i did a little digging and found out about 1/4 of the boys at skewl play it.....kinda funny.

Death's Little Helper, Watch your ass

• n2k3156n2k3156 Member Posts: 523
    Yeah. I had a good group of friends playing SWG with me before the NGE.

NGE Refugee.

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    I've made lots of in-game friends, but I've never made a RL friend who has played the same MMO as me.  Well thats a lie, I've met people that played WoW after I quit, plus they were on a different server anyways.  I generally don't tell people I play an MMO.  Not unless I know they play video games or for some odd reason it comes up. 

An interesting note though, more people seem to be talking about WoW now after they saw it on the Southpark episode.... 

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ive played some mmo like ac years ago with friends in a internetcafe we had those gamenights they organise so we could play from 11pm to 6 am in morning sometimes it was with whole clan it was amazing how great that was all in same room playing same mmo:)

Was bit easy we all came from same city about 20+ peeps so we met alot in this gamecafe they had 45 pc,s linked:)

All pc,s these days have now wow installed:( so i dont play there anymore but i still sometimes thinking about old days so great back then.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
    I've made 2 irl friends which I first met in Lineage 2, we were doing a polearm party and the next thing I know I'm at their place.

Most of my online contacts are from mmo's. Me and a small group of people who used to follow a certain game 6-7 years ago started a chat channel, and it's been growing ever since. Friend joins, friend of friend joins, that sorta thing.
    We just hang out and play mmo's and games in general. It's really cool to have a group of likeminded people to play new mmo's with.

• CalmaeCalmae Member Posts: 115
    I joined a small guild in SWG and have been gaming with the same guys ever since in several different MMOs. It rocks. Should be going out on the piss with them soon :_

• bizylibybizyliby Member Posts: 5
    I've made plenty of friends playing mmos.  I keep in touch with quite a few because we still play together regularly.

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

nope ::::21::

• UploadUpload Member Posts: 679
    One of the main reasons I'm playing MMORPGs/CORPs is to communicate with others. I've met several people online and in real life.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    No. =/
    I've found few friends but it never lasted for a very long time.

• dragonxriderdragonxrider Member Posts: 107
    nah never did, either they played a game i hate or a game that just bores me. say like i never really liked flyff or maplestory and my friends play flyff and family playes maplestory. kinda sucks i tried getting my friends into lineage 2, rapplez, or phantasy star online or universe but none of them wanted to play. It was either that or they didnt want to pay 2 play, kinda sucks but oh well at least they are my anime buddies.

• TyrolerTyroler Member Posts: 97
    yeah ive made some realy good friends over the years playing MMO's, i still chat with some daoc fellows since i started back in 2001. and i still play other online games and chat with friends on ventrilo who i met on SWG. thats what MMO's are all about, makeing friends 
  • ammieammie Member UncommonPosts: 109

The good thing about making friends in these games is that you get to know the "inner" person first. Imagine a player running around ganking or being a ninja, a selfish player in other words, but in real life he is a tall good-looking charmer!

On the other hand imagine a strong guild leader, someone who takes time out to help other players but in the real world he may be the quiet, shy guy at the back who is hardly noticed!

I know these are only rough examples but for me its great to be able to make friends and not be influenced by "out-side trappings" unless of course purple epics are your thing! image

I often think of all the friends I've made in these games, somehow they are special but completely different to RL friends!

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    You can make plenty of friends online playing MMOGs, and that's where they should remain. If you ever meet them in real life, you will most likely be dissapointed. People can be anything they want online.

• FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
    I've found the opposite to be the case so far.

I've met people that sound kinda annoying and iliterate online, but turned out to be great people irl, they're just not really computer savvy and aren't fluent in expressing themselves online.

• ..:Jax:....:Jax:.. Member Posts: 51
    You can make lots of good friends playing mmo's. I met two of my best friends that way... like 2 years ago or so.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    I would say I have made "acquaintances" playing MMORPGs. If you're talking a "friend" to me this is hard to achieve in an MMORPG. A friend is someone who you interact with in many settings, not just in a game setting. I'm not talking about people in one guild who play several online games either. A friend, to me, is more than just someone I play an online game with.

That's not to say I haven't ended up being rather friendly with a few online acquaintances. But to get into the category of "friend", they have to be someone I interact with outside the auspices of an MMORPG. And so far that just has not happened.

It has happened before to me in other onilne settings. There were two people who I interacted with on MUSHes, who then became very good friends of mine. I met one in real life... we (and a few others from our MUSH who were local) went to dinner, played board games together, etc. I still get "holiday letters" from hre every year (you know, the type that people send on special stationary telling all about their year and what is up for next year). THAT is a friend... someone I interacted with not just in the game but in other ways.

Aside from those two, though, most online people I know, I would call "acquaintances." Often they are people I like very much, but if I only ever see them when I log into COH or something, I don't consider that a true friend.

But as you can see my definition of "friend" is pretty rigorous.

C