Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Santa banned from Germany and Austria

Comments

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267

Originally posted by Nierro

Originally posted by PlanoMM

Originally posted by Draenor

If I ever have kids, I won't be telling them about the Santa thing.  Not only is it just a big fat commercial scheme that conflicts with the actual meaning of Christmas at its core, but it also takes away my credit for buying these gifts...why should I want my kids thinking a fat guy in a suit bought the gifts instead of me?
    they're going to find out eventually anyway, how about making it sooner than later.

i do have kids and dont teach me kids about the fat bastard.  it pisses me off that the school system around here teach me kids about Santa though.  it sux when you go behind to correct the info that the school system teaches them, only to have your 5 year old daughter argue with you about it.  grrrrrr.......  id pull her out of that hellhole, but alas, im not the only parent.  btw, before someone tries to hijack the subject and say it.  im going to let me children make up their own minds about God and life and such.  i lead me house by example not dictatorship.  however, Santa is a load of shyt that shouldnt even been allowed to ever get as popular as he did.

Imagination and childhood hopes and dreams FTL.

so im wrong for not wanting the damn Santa crap to spread with me kids?

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

If I ever have kids, I won't be telling them about the Santa thing.  Not only is it just a big fat commercial scheme that conflicts with the actual meaning of Christmas at its core, but it also takes away my credit for buying these gifts...why should I want my kids thinking a fat guy in a suit bought the gifts instead of me? they're going to find out eventually anyway, how about making it sooner than later.
    i do have kids and dont teach me kids about the fat bastard.  it pisses me off that the school system around here teach me kids about Santa though.  it sux when you go behind to correct the info that the school system teaches them, only to have your 5 year old daughter argue with you about it.  grrrrrr.......  id pull her out of that hellhole, but alas, im not the only parent.  btw, before someone tries to hijack the subject and say it.  im going to let me children make up their own minds about God and life and such.  i lead me house by example not dictatorship.  however, Santa is a load of shyt that shouldnt even been allowed to ever get as popular as he did.
    Hmm, I agree, santa wasn't the only thing I called shit on in 2rd grade though :)

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Do any of you, "I'm not tellin my kids about Claus" people even have kids?  Kids love Santa Claus.  You can either tell your kid he doesn't exist and watch as they get in arguments with the other kids around them, or you can tell them about Santa Claus and watch as they get excited about the Holidays.  I used to say the same thing when I was young, "Christmas is stupid... yadda, yadda..."  Then I watched my own kids.  I still hate the Holidays, but there is no way I would take that excitement away from my children by destroying the positive fantasy they have about it.  I'll tell you what, if you go about it positively, you can give your kids a lot more from Santa than a few meaningless gifts.  Kids like to have things to look forward to and they identify with Santa very well.  It does not have to be the "big lie."

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by Rabiator

EDIT: Dabble, you can quit gloating now. Because your post looks a lot more shallow and stupid than the campaign (even to me as an agnostic)

And your post looks like you have absolutely zero sense of humor.  Lighten up pal and learn to laugh a bit image

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Dabble

WELL ALL RIGHT!!
    Finally a news story that make Euros look like imbeciles, instead of us!!
    Say it with me now.....
    U S A
    U S A
    U S A

How exactly does it make europeans look like imbeciles? Is it "wrong" to not copy the american tradition/culture?

I was just making a joke about this, because so often in off topic people post articles about stupid americans reacting stupidly to stupid things. 
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Xexima
    Wait... I thought that it they were the ones that invented the idea of santa clause...  meh, learn something new every day.

It could be possible it was originaly taken from saint nicolas. the dutch & Blegium people celebrate "sinterklaas", which is our version of santa claus, but its not celebrated during christmas, just a few weeks before christmas.

• bobtheblobbobtheblob Member Posts: 135

I have lost the Xmas spirit im not excitied like i used to be :(

I th thought the idea of santa was around before coca cola but they just changed him and made him more commercial, wasnt he originally green? 

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267

Originally posted by daeandor
    Do any of you, "I'm not tellin my kids about Claus" people even have kids?  Kids love Santa Claus.  You can either tell your kid he doesn't exist and watch as they get in arguments with the other kids around them, or you can tell them about Santa Claus and watch as they get excited about the Holidays.  I used to say the same thing when I was young, "Christmas is stupid... yadda, yadda..."  Then I watched my own kids.  I still hate the Holidays, but there is no way I would take that excitement away from my children by destroying the positive fantasy they have about it.  I'll tell you what, if you go about it positively, you can give your kids a lot more from Santa than a few meaningless gifts.  Kids like to have things to look forward to and they identify with Santa very well.  It does not have to be the "big lie."

well, honestly, i do understand where you come from here.  however, i still believe that its better for your kids to grow up knowing that their parents held onto intrigity instead of buckling under social pressure to conform to the norm.  i do have kids as ive stated, and i do believe that me kids have grown emotionally just as well as those that grow up believing in a fantasy.  im not saying that i take me childs imagination away from them.  i encourage the growth of their imagination.  imaginary friends, stuffed animal tea partys and such.  they both have a very active imaginations, believe me.  they just dont believe in a superstition that will effect their enjoyment as they grow out of it.  i remember when i was a kid and i finallly learned the truth of Santa, i was quite disappointed.  it effected me enjoyment of the holiday.  i dont want me kids to go through that unnecessary disappointment when they dont have to.  i also resented me parents for lying to me all those years.  to me, it was quite condescending to tell me, "you better be good, or Santa wont bring you anything."  or "if you dont go to sleep, Santa wont come."  it was used as a form of control, and it made me question me parents respect for me.  after all, they were willing to lie to me about that, what else are they willing to lie to me about?  i refuse to use that on me kids.  both of me kids know that daddy wont lie to them about anything.  the reason that me daughter argued with me about it is because i made the mistake of telling her that the teachers at school wouldnt lie to her.  boy, did that bite me in the ass.  she even threw that in me face.  and as far as them arguing with the other children around her age, she does that anyway.  arguing with each other is something that children excel at.  if not about Santa, its about chocolate milk.  and when the other children grow out of the believing in Santa phase, theyll feel stupid for being wrong and arguing about it.  me daughter on the other hand wont have to go through that.  shell grow up knowing that she was right.  which will, in turn, give her confidence later on.  believe me, confidence is a good thing.

so while i understand your point of view regarding this, i still believe that its better to nip this BS in the bud early on.  besides, it helps them understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

• AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595

Originally posted by Zorvan

This is Europe, not America.

We know, that's why our forefathers left in the first place.

pwned

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• freeidfreeid Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Awakened

pwned

They did not so-much "leave" as were kicked out for being pretty much usless.

• kdempsenatorkdempsenator Member Posts: 5
    I love Santa and I love the Holidays!  I think the whole Santa bringing presents is a great tradition and makes it fun for kids to enjoy.  But, I guess it makes sense if Austria and Germany banned Santa if America created it. 

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Actually santa clause [the american version] was based on the european santa. He basically came in various forms in europe depending where you lived but they were all based on saint nicolas.

Now i dont know the specifics i watched a documentry on this guy long ago but he live 2 300 years after the birth of christ when christanity was still looked down upon in some areas in the east but this old guy was an early christian priest i belive who sometimes gave simple toys to children.

Some time after he dies he was made into a saint and thats where it all begun.

i posted a wikpedia link on this didnt read it tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicolas

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020
    I'll tell my kids about Santa Claus. I'm not in the habit of destroying children's innocence and sense of magic to feed my own smug sense of superiority.
  • AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Who gives a shit, it's a commercial icon. 

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I think its a good thing, its good they are taking one step back from the "americanization" of europe, (for the lack of a better word). This is Europe, not America.

Ummm

Santa Clause is Dutch

Not from American traditions........image

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

lol

great post image

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Originally posted by Dabble
    Originally posted by Rabiator

EDIT: Dabble, you can quit gloating now. Because your post looks a lot more shallow and stupid than the campaign (even to me as an agnostic)

And your post looks like you have absolutely zero sense of humor.  Lighten up pal and learn to laugh a bit image

Well, then sorry for misunderstanding you. I really did not get the joke. image

Maybe because many of those who post similar stuff mean it image

• JasmineRoseJasmineRose Member Posts: 178

OMG! PLEASE DONT BAN SANTA!!! PWEASE PWEASE PWEASE DONT

What are we ever going to do without him!!image

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

<snipped for space>

so while i understand your point of view regarding this, i still believe that its better to nip this BS in the bud early on.  besides, it helps them understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

Actually, you expanded on what I was referring to when I said that Santa didn't need to be "the big lie," and that it could be a positive experience. I, however, never had the "be good or santa won't bring you anything" laid on me. 
  • GamewizeGamewize Member Posts: 956

I think it is quite retarded, sorry but people, we all KNOW Santa isn't real, but mostly my family only did it for fun and games, I just don't see what the big deal is.

If parent's want to do it, they should, if they don't want to, then they don't have to. Thsi is another attempt to fashion something to oen group's personal preference and robs personal choice.

I think it's the objective of your past self to make you cringe.

• patheospatheos Member Posts: 1,148

Originally posted by LilithIshtar
    If I ever have kids, I won't be telling them about the Santa thing.  Not only is it just a big fat commercial scheme that conflicts with the actual meaning of Christmas at its core, but it also takes away my credit for buying these gifts...why should I want my kids thinking a fat guy in a suit bought the gifts instead of me? they're going to find out eventually anyway, how about making it sooner than later.
    Wow Draenor, we agree on something.

I'll be doing the same.

Even though I don't like in Euro, Im glad they are banning it. :D

A curious mind i guess.  I have a question / something to think about. The effects of rasing a kid unaware of santa would be different then a child that knows santa and loves him. The kid that knows santa could possibly have a more creative mind because they are fasinated with santa and think about him a lot. The kid that doesnt know santa could be more receptive to his  sparents actions and teachings. I use the term santa as it encompases all holiday characters.()()() I also have thought about how they have plenty of fantasy characters like books and movies and all of those kinds of things at the ()()(). But still....holidays are big in kids minds...maybe even bigger than the other characters...so in conclusion maybe the weight of holiday people are of a higher "priority" than the other people.

Originally posted by Enigma

I think its a good thing, its good they are taking one step back from the "americanization" of europe, (for the lack of a better word). This is Europe, not America.

Ummm

Santa Clause is Dutch

false, Santa Clause is not dutch tradition. It was downright copied from a dutch tradition, but it definitly isn't the dutch tradition. We don't have any tradition during Christmas that is anything like santa clause.
  • PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Ummm

Santa Clause is Dutch

false, Santa Clause is not dutch tradition. It was downright copied from dutch tradition, but it definitly isn't the dutch tradition. We don't have any tradition during Christmas that is anything like santa clause.
    Do you have traditions like Saturnalia?

Saturnalia was a time of general relaxation, feasting, merry-making,
    and a cessation of formal rules. It included the making and giving of
    small presents (Saturnalia et Sigillaricia), usually smalls dolls for children and candles for adults.[4]
    During Saturnalia, business was postponed and even slaves feasted.
    There was drinking, gambling, and singing, and nudity was relatively
    common. It was the "best of days," according to the poet Catullus.

Pre-Christian Winter Festivals

If so, that would be sooo cool.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

Ummm

Santa Clause is Dutch

false, Santa Clause is not dutch tradition. It was downright copied from dutch tradition, but it definitly isn't the dutch tradition. We don't have any tradition during Christmas that is anything like santa clause.

Do you have traditions like Saturnalia?

Saturnalia was a time of general relaxation, feasting, merry-making, and a cessation of formal rules. It included the making and giving of small presents (Saturnalia et Sigillaricia), usually smalls dolls for children and candles for adults.[4] During Saturnalia, business was postponed and even slaves feasted. There was drinking, gambling, and singing, and nudity was relatively common. It was the "best of days," according to the poet Catullus.

Pre-Christian Winter Festivals

If so, that would be sooo cool.

Nope
  • ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458
    I'm glad they banned him... Just means more presents for the rest of us.

-Machiavelli