Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has MMORPG always been like this?

ammieammie Member UncommonPosts: 109

I have been visiting MMORPG on and off for a couple of years, recently a lot more due to not finding a game that holds my interest.

Of late I have been finding that reading these forums is becoming more and more depressing. Someone will post what seems a reasonable question and before you know it a war of words has started. Trying to sift the intelligent stuff from the dross is getting harder and harder.

Words like "Carebear" "ganker" "noob""wtf" are used indiscriminately; I mean what actually is a Carebear? Players are so diverse they rarely fit one single slot. People are flaming each other so easily and showing very little respect. We are also so intent on labelling everything, we don't need games like WoW to help us lose our individuality, we are doing it to our-selves 

Freedom of speech is great but freedom of anonymous speech, not so great! Its becoming harder for the middle man to be heard. For many its "your either on our side or your not"

I do feel sorry for the GMs that have to check these forums, they'll be having nightmares of Gankers chasinng Carebears whilst Noobs cry "wtf"

Luckily there are still some great discussions and well-written articles to make this site well worth visiting, I would just hate to see it swamped!           

My question is, has it always been like this and I have not noticed, or has it been caused by maybe something like the "WoW boom!!"

Comments

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715
    It's been like this since everyone got bored with the MMOs out right now.

When they ruined SWG people came here to complain.
    When people got to 60 in WoW they came here to look for another MMO.
    When they ruined SWG again, more people came.
    And all these people stuck around, and now everyone cries because their games they loved aren't around anymore, and theres nothing out that suits them.

• frulaafrulaa Member Posts: 78
         Ah, well there is always people who want to act like that. But with the way culture is devoping today, its become more and more frequent. Unless you make a "Perfect world" ( not going to happen ) its going to be there. but to answer your question, i would'nt say its just because a game or two, but everything together. But yeah, there is a lot more now than there used to be.

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Originally posted by Rinic

And all these people stuck around, and now everyone cries because their games they loved aren't around anymore, and theres nothing out that suits them.

I quite agree

Most of the people came here to find MMO to play. Problem is that MMOs of today are all...well...crap!
    So people just hang out here to check the news, or rumours. And bitch around in the mean time.

So i would really not blame people, blame the game industry for not delivering...

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    People who use those words are those that tries to belittle others in order to make themselves feel good. It's like those lunch room bullies who thinks they need to strut around bullying others and making other people look bad in order to boost their own tiny inadequate manhood.
  • TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
      I remember when I started to post on mmorpg.com at the beginning it was a very nice place to post.
    Most of the posts were focused on games and addressing there issues. That was really before people had become so disillusioned about the industry. It really was the beginning of the modern crop of mmorpgs we all play now.
    We all saw how that turned outimage Mind you some of the results were good like CoH and heck ill admit it, I like WoW to a extent. Not that much thoughimage

THe next crop of games have alot of potenial but I cant seriously be anything but pessimistic tell I see there results. THe devs will have to prove there mettle this time or I suspect people will just get more and more pessimistic.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953
    thats just what forums are all about...i went down a star, wow, didint know that could happen lol

• loreofchaosloreofchaos Member Posts: 316
    When I had first joined MMORPG.com it was nothing like it was right now. When people asked about some free game or something that fits their need it was answered very well. The site staff was very simple also. Craig kept things in orderly check and things were going alright. It however began to decline around late 2003 to 2004, then once 2005 and WoW and Eq2 came out, it just went to complete hell. I find very few articles that ever seem mildly interesting to sign in and post, the prizes no longer interest me either. I guess there is not much that this site offers me anymore. Still it has remained on my homepage for nearly 4 years.

Take a deep drink of your demon Lad, tonight we tangle with the fire in the gut.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    For me I've noticed what you describe, but it  boils  down to the fact people can't agree to disagree.  Personally I wouldn't consider myself a carebear or a ganker, but by PVPer standards if I don't support completely open pvp I'm a carebear.  Those are the people that bother me the most saying things like be a man a step up to a "real" mmo with open pvp, when I know on the other side of the keyboard sits a small combative person who simply can't accept any view outside there own.

I see the same problems with the WOW crowd and the EVE crowd, I have friends that play both games but at the extreme end in each of these games lies the people that seem to clash.  Between the EVEletist and the WOW pawns all crowd you know there will be nothing but flame wars.  I think that may be the issue the industry has diverisfied to satisfy different crowds to some degree and these crowds can't play nice so to speak.

Take for example SWG,  I played from launch til around a month after NGE.  I came back a little over a month ago to check out the "progress" and first time I mentioned how i miss the old system some lvl 10 jedi jumps down my throat about how the game sucked before and now it rocks and I'm a noob and should leave the game to the real fans, made me laugh as I'd been playing SWG for more than 3 years and now a lvl 10 jedi was telling me how it was when he maybe had been in game for a week.   I promptly canceled again and it never felt better than to leave the current SWG crowd to play what the game became.

Its a difference in gamers and it isn't growing smaller its getting bigger.  To me the various groups can't seem to play nice together but look at it this way if you see a thread is complete flamebait do what I do and move to a thread worth reading. 

Peace
  • vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

Originally posted by Rattrap

Originally posted by Rinic

I quite agree

Most of the people came here to find MMO to play. Problem is that MMOs of today are all...well...crap!
    So people just hang out here to check the news, or rumours. And bitch around in the mean time.

So i would really not blame people, blame the game industry for not delivering...

That's the sad truth where are these next gen MMOs image
  • DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Joshua69
    thats just what forums are all about...i went down a star, wow, didint know that could happen lol

You are exactly correct, that is just what forums are about. That is what they have become and it's complete bulls**t. All forums here and WoW forums in particular, and many other MMO and gaming forums, are filled with spamming like 'first!' and 'IBTL' and flaming anyone and everyone that takes the time to post something. These people are called trolls, remember that and don't become one.

Intelligent discussion written in good readable English? No way, just all kinds of 1337-speak and net shorthand like 'wtf.' Hey, I understand the shorthand thing like using 'lol.'

I can sum it up shortly. It's because games are, admit it or not, kid's toys. It has been and always be that way. I am far from a kid, agewise and maturity, but I do play games. It's entertainment to me. The computer has become the babysitter, think about it, or admit it if you're one of the kids I'm talking about. The TV was the babysitter in the '90s, now it's the computer. Sadness.

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

• BlackRozeBlackRoze Member Posts: 55

truely a said sight ot see....so UNCLE SAM want YOU to make the next gen MMO and spark the interestes of MILLIONS! ur prize? SATISFACTION AND FAME! maybe even load of $$$ if it has an item shop....please SOMEONE needs to make it,now the question is...WHO?

Death's Little Helper, Watch your ass

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

People should be  lighting a fire under the ass of those behind the MMO scene.  I'm sick and tired of the "gung-ho capitalists" and "corporate soldiers" that today's media brainwashing produces. People who jump in other folk's shit for pointing out how much we're ALL being screwed... people without a pot to piss in defending multi-million dollar companies against folks in the same boat.

If you haven't fallen for this media and marketing driven attitude implementation- you KNOW what I'm talking about.  Average people used to band together to stick up for one another; now they're sticking it to eachother taking sides with people who can buy and sell them.

It's bad enough the MMO pimps know they can walk all over the vast majority of teen gamers who make up this market; lacking any sense of consumer advocacy- but it's gamers against gamers as well.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by Rattrap
    I quite agree

Blame the designers!  Lazy overpaid folks! image

You see, once upon a time, the designers where like: Let's get a great game and keep it great for it fans.  But designers today have 1 such flaw if not both:  - Let's interest everyone.  - Let's keep artificial interest so players maintain subscribtions, even if we have to ruin the game.  Some games end up having a design to maintain an artificial interest on every player, which isn't fun to start with, it is not the FUN game anymore, it is the artificial interest, aka, what the players don't like.  And so, raiding was born.

Interesting many various groups could be great, but when you become superficial for everyone, you are superficial.

Again, blame the designers.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ConnoisseurConnoisseur Member Posts: 273
    (Delete please)

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    dont forget us  earth and beyond players that giot dumped by ea games still come here to complain and look for something like earth and ebyond but that will never happen unless theres an earth and beyond 2.

playing eq2 and two worlds