Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Santa banned from Germany and Austria

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2094952.html 

yup, here it is.

I think its a good thing, its good they are taking one step back from the "americanization" of europe, (for the lack of a better word). This is Europe, not America.

Comments

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    "Anti-Santa campaigners claim Father Christmas was invented by Coca-Cola
    and detracts from the true spirit of the festive season."

Yeah...so when I think Santa, I think Coco-Cola...image

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

LOL these idiots think Christmas is about Christ. WTF does the pine tree have to do with christ? No more than Santa i'd say. Maybe one day they'll wake up and realizing they're celebrating the pagan holiday of Yule which these asshats should be quite familiar with since it was a germanic pagan tradition to begin with!

yule

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X
    and detracts from the true spirit of the festive season."Yeah...so when I think Santa, I think Coco-Cola...image

They are 100% correct. Santa was invented in the late 1800's by Coca Cola.

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

Well, to be more precise, Santa Clause probably came from Sinterklaas... or St. Nicholas from the Dutch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

If I ever have kids, I won't be telling them about the Santa thing.  Not only is it just a big fat commercial scheme that conflicts with the actual meaning of Christmas at its core, but it also takes away my credit for buying these gifts...why should I want my kids thinking a fat guy in a suit bought the gifts instead of me?

they're going to find out eventually anyway, how about making it sooner than later.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• freiheitfreiheit Member Posts: 264

Good, Santa is an Eco Terrorist and happy feet is leader of one of his sleeper cells.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Gameloading
    This is Europe, not America.

We know, that's why our forefathers left in the first place.

• LilithIshtarLilithIshtar Member Posts: 667

Originally posted by Draenor
    If I ever have kids, I won't be telling them about the Santa thing.  Not only is it just a big fat commercial scheme that conflicts with the actual meaning of Christmas at its core, but it also takes away my credit for buying these gifts...why should I want my kids thinking a fat guy in a suit bought the gifts instead of me? they're going to find out eventually anyway, how about making it sooner than later.
    Wow Draenor, we agree on something.

I'll be doing the same.

Even though I don't like in Euro, Im glad they are banning it. :D

Independant, Shinto, Lesbian, and Proud!

• lucasa819lucasa819 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Copeland

Wow, I had no idea about this.  Learn something new everyday!

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

WELL ALL RIGHT!!

Finally a news story that make Euros look like imbeciles, instead of us!!

Say it with me now.....

U S A

U S A

U S A

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106
    In a way, they got a point. Although it all seems quite silly.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Some background info:

It appears to be a campaign by the "Bonifaziuswerk", a catholic organization. They intend to protest against a materialistic view of Christmas that mostly revolves around presents.

Also, it is not exactly a ban, because the Bonifaziuswerk does not have such authority. All they can do is try to convince people.
    EDIT: Dabble, you can quit gloating now. Because your post looks a lot more shallow and stupid than the campaign (even to me as an agnostic)

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
       Christmas has origins going back very far. To some Christmas started when the celebration of Saturnalia was replaced by the celebration of Jesus birth in the 4th century. In fact the symbology of a tree in the christian holiday included a tree because of imposition of ideas from a egyptian holiday. The holidays intent was to garner christians from Pagans, to a extent. Later iterations of the holiday drew from German holidays as the St. Nicholas legends and history confirm. Modernized and commercialized versions arose with Santa claus.

Easter isnt much diffrent and has it origins in the celebration of the namesake, Ishtar. Ishtars being the godess of rebirth. The symbology of rabbits, eggs and chickens was directly pulled from the celebrations of Ishtar.

Hallows eve.. well who are we kidding that holiday still is pagan lol. Theres not much thing veiling behind that one

The days of Valentine were days to celebrate Martyrs. Traditionally they became saints. Some did not. The celebration of love between hera and zues was also a feb. celebration. Traditionally though the modern valentines day is the celebration of a man passing a love not to his beloved before he is sent to die for being christian.
    Much like Christmas it entrered into modern american culture during the 1840's in a effort to commercialize celebrations. Not a bad idea for a early country to assert its identity. Albeit its in stark contrast to the american personality of the early settlers which saught to minimalize celebrations and were dour and serious people. Dedicated to religous piety and such manners of ideals.

As for my part, I celebrate no holidays. I do however observe a keen belief one should celebrate the good moments in life. Hrmm well I do have a harvest festival as well. Somewhat similar to the early americans.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Dabble

WELL ALL RIGHT!!
    Finally a news story that make Euros look like imbeciles, instead of us!!
    Say it with me now.....
    U S A
    U S A
    U S A

How exactly does it make europeans look like imbeciles? Is it "wrong" to not copy the american tradition/culture?
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

LOL these idiots think Christmas is about Christ. WTF does the pine tree have to do with christ? No more than Santa i'd say. Maybe one day they'll wake up and realizing they're celebrating the pagan holiday of Yule which these asshats should be quite familiar with since it was a germanic pagan tradition to begin with!
    yule

The Pine tree is mere decoration, that is all, where santa has a much bigger effect. Santa doesn't bring the family together either. Also, having been to Austria myself during christmas time (great place for anybody intrested in wintersports btw), the amount of christmas decoration is VERY low. you don't see a christmas tree in every home, far from it.
  • TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
       I think hes just commenting that any action which can be seen as seeking to deviate from the norm and generally seek a higher moral, ethical or idealistic standing is  bull to him. Some people think we should just live, forget everything and do what we want. Not exactly the camp of thought I belong to.
  • qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

If I ever have kids, I won't be telling them about the Santa thing.  Not only is it just a big fat commercial scheme that conflicts with the actual meaning of Christmas at its core, but it also takes away my credit for buying these gifts...why should I want my kids thinking a fat guy in a suit bought the gifts instead of me? they're going to find out eventually anyway, how about making it sooner than later.
    My wife and I tried this and our parents threw a fit and told them about Claus anyway. Before we had kids we didn't even celebrate x-mas. I'm not a x-tian and I don't like celebrating the day.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Techleo
       Christmas has origins going back very far. To some Christmas started when the celebration of Saturnalia was replaced by the celebration of Jesus birth in the 4th century. In fact the symbology of a tree in the christian holiday included a tree because of imposition of ideas from a egyptian holiday. The holidays intent was to garner christians from Pagans, to a extent. Later iterations of the holiday drew from German holidays as the St. Nicholas legends and history confirm. Modernized and commercialized versions arose with Santa claus.

Easter isnt much diffrent and has it origins in the celebration of the namesake, Ishtar. Ishtars being the godess of rebirth. The symbology of rabbits, eggs and chickens was directly pulled from the celebrations of Ishtar.

Hallows eve.. well who are we kidding that holiday still is pagan lol. Theres not much thing veiling behind that one

The days of Valentine were days to celebrate Martyrs. Traditionally they became saints. Some did not. The celebration of love between hera and zues was also a feb. celebration. Traditionally though the modern valentines day is the celebration of a man passing a love not to his beloved before he is sent to die for being christian.
    Much like Christmas it entrered into modern american culture during the 1840's in a effort to commercialize celebrations. Not a bad idea for a early country to assert its identity. Albeit its in stark contrast to the american personality of the early settlers which saught to minimalize celebrations and were dour and serious people. Dedicated to religous piety and such manners of ideals.

As for my part, I celebrate no holidays. I do however observe a keen belief one should celebrate the good moments in life. Hrmm well I do have a harvest festival as well. Somewhat similar to the early americans.

Good general information for people who think holiday's are all about christianity....  I guess for most kids it would be tough to pull that information out in a christian house.  Using singular fictious characters is a lot easier that trying to explain why they are celebrating a pagan ritual which uses multiple ficticous characters.

For me I can not stand the religious aspects of holidays (which drives my wife a little crazy).  I just see them as days to spend with friends and family.  I do get a kick out of the people that go to the church of their choosing only during these days.  To me they are just days nothing more, nothing less.  Just simply being with people I love is the most important aspect. 

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

Originally posted by hazmats
    Well, to be more precise, Santa Clause probably came from Sinterklaas... or St. Nicholas from the Dutchhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

Santa Clause was the corporatised version of Sinterklaas that Coca-Cola invented in the late 1800's. Hence the white and red, when Sinterklaas wore blue and green.
  • BoozbazBoozbaz Member Posts: 1,918

LOL these idiots think Christmas is about Christ. WTF does the pine tree have to do with christ? No more than Santa i'd say. Maybe one day they'll wake up and realizing they're celebrating the pagan holiday of Yule which these asshats should be quite familiar with since it was a germanic pagan tradition to begin with!yule
    That's kind of funny because I went to a catholic highschool and my english teacher mentioned something about this during one of our classes. He also mentioned that easter is close to summer solstice, or maybe the time of the when nights/days ar evened out? He said maybe we just changed the story/celebration over time. Meh, anyways it's interesting stuff.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    SANTA ISN'T REAL?

sorry, someone had to.

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697
    Wait... I thought that it they were the ones that invented the idea of santa clause...  meh, learn something new every day.
  • PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267

If I ever have kids, I won't be telling them about the Santa thing.  Not only is it just a big fat commercial scheme that conflicts with the actual meaning of Christmas at its core, but it also takes away my credit for buying these gifts...why should I want my kids thinking a fat guy in a suit bought the gifts instead of me?
    they're going to find out eventually anyway, how about making it sooner than later.

i do have kids and dont teach me kids about the fat bastard.  it pisses me off that the school system around here teach me kids about Santa though.  it sux when you go behind to correct the info that the school system teaches them, only to have your 5 year old daughter argue with you about it.  grrrrrr.......  id pull her out of that hellhole, but alas, im not the only parent.  btw, before someone tries to hijack the subject and say it.  im going to let me children make up their own minds about God and life and such.  i lead me house by example not dictatorship.  however, Santa is a load of shyt that shouldnt even been allowed to ever get as popular as he did.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I'm pretty sure it dates back pre-coke. Let me look in some encyplidia(sp)...or a dictinary. lol

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Originally posted by PlanoMM
    i do have kids and dont teach me kids about the fat bastard.  it pisses me off that the school system around here teach me kids about Santa though.  it sux when you go behind to correct the info that the school system teaches them, only to have your 5 year old daughter argue with you about it.  grrrrrr.......  id pull her out of that hellhole, but alas, im not the only parent.  btw, before someone tries to hijack the subject and say it.  im going to let me children make up their own minds about God and life and such.  i lead me house by example not dictatorship.  however, Santa is a load of shyt that shouldnt even been allowed to ever get as popular as he did.
    Imagination and childhood hopes and dreams FTL.