Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Interview with Tasos Flambouras

Associate Producer Tasos Flambouras answers our questions in this new Q&A about his hardcore PvP MMORPG.

image MMORPG.com: Give us a look at the tactics players can use in PvP or in PvE. It is said that the game is more influenced by the player behind the keyboard than the character you have. Is this true?

Tasos Flambouras: Darkfall combat is through aimed attacks. The players control their character's movement like they do in most FPS games. So in Darkfall you have the type of control you have in a shooter, but you also have character skills, spells, a backpack full of equipment, mounts, ships, siege weapons and all these come into play when the character is in combat. It's not easy to say that player skill is more important than character development. The player behind the keyboard certainly is very important; a lot more than in other MMOs, but what's more important is a good balance between good character development, knowledge of the game and your character, equipment, teamwork, and individual skill.

One of Darkfall's more impressive gameplay features allows players to use group tactics because of collision detection allowing formations, friendly fire making them necessary, and area of effect spells which truly affect the area and not just some characters within it. Force concentration makes good teamwork important. Most real-world medieval combat tactics could probably be adapted for use within Darkfall and we expect to see unique group tactics emerge.

The full interview is here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• dark-merlindark-merlin Member Posts: 314
    bad interview-you could of asked so much better questions, these have all been answered before

only thing that was good: you can change beard, hairstile, piercings during gameplay-good its about time to put that in a game!

still DF is the shitznit-when it will get released with what they promise
  • undiesusaundiesusa Member Posts: 116
    Why didn't you guys try and actually interview him?

I mean come on, they have been Preparing for beta since 02.

Theres a bunch of RABID fans who would have liked to see you try and nail them down, including myself!

Other then that, good interview.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

"We'd like the players to know that most of the skills are currently in the game and working. What's left is balancing based on testing."

Yeah, they just need another 4 years to finish lol::::02::

• Ammon777Ammon777 Member Posts: 308

edit -- Actually, while the questions were somewhat generic, the answers were good. Some new info here.

• undiesusaundiesusa Member Posts: 116
    The didn't grill him about the "soon" problem that has sorrounded Darkfall. That is all that really matters to the fans at this point, and its a problem not to confront him on it. 

Originally posted by Ammon777
    edit -- Actually, while the questions were somewhat generic, the answers were good. Some new info here.

• XApotheosisXXApotheosisX Member Posts: 277

next time ask them if this game is going to be ready before "holodeck" like technology will be developed.

or ask them since they can't seem to get a game going in nearly 6 years ... can they sell this game (since i love the concept of it) to a company with a better track record.

Vaporfall

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Can you make an interview more shallow than this? Where are the followups? Who ever made this 'interview' should take a basic course in journalism or something. Disapointing, very much so.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

For all the people who don't like the interview, you assume too much.

Maybe they submitted a whole slew of questions and these are the questions they chose to ask. Maybe before the interview they asked to steer around certain questions.

If they don't want to answer a question they aren't going to answer it. In which case, what are the interviewers of this site going to do? Post a lackluster answer? Post a "no comment".

This is not to say that you "might" be right and that the interviewer didn't hit them with any hard hitting questions.

However, recently in Lineage 2, the playerbase got TWO  chances to ask questions of the developers. You know what?

All the answers were a bit on the generic side.

If they don't want to give the info up they won't.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266
    Since they STILL can't announce a date for beta to even get started, this interview probably won't help the vaporware rep very much.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

good interview for newbs like myself that had no idea what darkfall. Looks really good. I do wish someone would try to veer away from medieval setting cause there's gonna be a ton of medieval stuff coming out. still, looks very good will look into this title.

I wish something next gen would release tho

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    They were accepting beta applications, and preparing for beta over a year ago. We still have not seen a screenshot with any kind of UI released so far. They dodge every question related to beta/release dates. It seems like they just try to rekindle the hype every 4 months or so.

• dark-merlindark-merlin Member Posts: 314

^ that's incorrect

there are alot of older screenshots with the UI on

the beta well-were hanging on that one

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

So yeah, as far as the canned interview goes...fans don't care about what the game has to offer for amazing features anymore. If they cared about their fans, perhaps at year 5 it was time to start being honest. This is smelling more and more lik DnL every day. "We have a huge world..." (too bad it is boring and doesn't work!)

I could have so much more hype about this game if, after 6 years, they were looking like they are close to release. Saying: "all the skills are in game" but not even being ready for closed beta is pretty shady. "Our game is complete but we are testing it to do 'balancing' to it...yes, that's it...balancing!"

Darkfall has two major things to overcome: 1) It's vapor status. 2) The amazing feat of making their combat system work. I think Epic Games could pull it off, I think Blizzard could pull it off...can a rinky-dink company that is 6 years into development pull off the polish that would be needed to make this beast not clunky? Unlikely.

• SolanarSolanar Member UncommonPosts: 188
    good interview... now I want to play DF all over again :(

but really, this game has everything that I hated about other mmo's. They just need to get to some more beta testing in. Also, they said they had everything that was said in the interview in the game, and that they only need more textures and balancing. Hopefully that's right and they can release next year.

df ftw.

?played: Nearly everything.
    ?waiting: *Darkfall*, Hero''s Journey

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

All I see is bitching and moaning over a game because the fans aren't getting what they want when they want. It's like listening to a bunch of children and it gets annoying. They haven't sold us anything, so we aren't customers yet. We do not have any right or any leg to stand on to demand information from them. It sounds very bratty to hear people act like they do.

I am well aware of how long DF has been in development and everything else that is surrounding it. Regardless of how long it is taking them to finish the game, it is "their" game and they are the only ones offering a game that is different than the rest. Lets try not to shit on the devs for holding back information that we are not entitled to yet.

Also keep in mind that these people are really smart to be able to do something like this, so don't insult their intelligence by carrying a tone in your posts that suggest that you've given up on them and won't play their game because they won't tell you when the release date it yet. Because we all know that when DF hits the shelves that all of us that were once interested in this game will be there at release to start the game. Developers know this and aren't going to be bothered into sharing info that they don't want to share, just because you are getting ancy and might not play it or might spread rumors that it is vaporware.

So everybody take a chill pill, log back on your existing game, or find something else constructive to do with your time. Or you can just waste your breath, make an ass of yourself, and develop a reputation on this site for being a whiner.

• madnessmageemadnessmagee Member Posts: 69

No, its not about being ancy. The game has been in supposive development for close to 6 years, when its been in devlopment this long and we're unsure of what stage there even actually in, it just proves to show the dedication they have for the game. Even if the game was released I would be worried on how long it would take them to patch and update. Sure they might be a smaller company but if there really thinking about making it  in this industry and finishing the game they might want to rethink what there actually trying to accomplish and at least become more involved.

• Ammon777Ammon777 Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by undiesusa
    The didn't grill him about the "soon" problem that has sorrounded Darkfall. That is all that really matters to the fans at this point, and its a problem not to confront him on it.

Originally posted by Ammon777

Ive been waiting for Darkfall for 5 years. Its been "soon" that long, 5 years... How long have you waited for Darkfall? Its not really a problem in my opinion. Its a problem if you make it your problem. I dont have a problem with waiting. I am playing other games until I get into beta. Woopie-doo. I suggest you impatient people chill the hell out.
  • ZonMezzZonMezz Member Posts: 19
    4 games I'm waiting for:

Spore.

Darkfall.

Fable II.

Eve-Online to actually do something with avatars, preferably on planets (at which point I will begin to play that game).

Patience is something I'm going to have to get used to I guess.

• MikeSx0MikeSx0 Member Posts: 9
    What would you rather see, the devs speed through development and release a game full of bugs like DnL or take their time and release a quality product? The only people that have a right to complain about the time it's taking them to finish is their investors.

If the game doesn't end up seeing the light of day, so what? The investors are out the money not us, and the devs have wasted six years of their life and have to find a new job. We the fan base are disappointed that we don't get to play a video game. Hardly an equal hardship if you ask me. So suck it up and wait or move on to another game, just stop whining!
  • acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    This game will ROCK!!! And I am happy that they are not rushing the game out,  Let they take their time.

• niccoli00niccoli00 Member Posts: 98
    Some nice new things in the screenshots at least.  The interview would have been better obviously if it answered all the questions we have, that they have time and time again chose not to answer yet.  Most likely this was a list of questions submitted and these are the questions Tasos answered.  They do keep implying that an external beta is approaching, however if you've been following the game for a few years you realize that this could be months to years from now. ;)

Either way, doesn't cost anything to wait and see.

I'm looking forward to seeing this game deliver.

Niccoli

• dippitydodahdippitydodah Member Posts: 130
    Wow this looks like the game I've been waiting for.   I'm tired of PVE content and even more tired of badly tacked on carebear pvp in other games..  give us wars, tactics skill.. .let us take territory... a game made for pvp from the ground up.. this so far is the closest thing to what I've been imagining in my head for a few years now I dont know how I didn't really notice the game till now.

as far as release goes... Who cares as long as it's good, aren't you guys tired as hell by now of playing half finished games... the state at which they release these mmo's these days is fraudulant.   Take a look at that steaming pile of shit archlord.. the effing ARCHLORD system isn't even in place yet and the korean version has been out a year... they blantantly lie on the boxes these days and get away with this crap...  let em take thier time if it means the game will actually have the content it's supposed to in it.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by XApotheosisX

next time ask them if this game is going to be ready before "holodeck" like technology will be developed.

Almost fall of my chair when read this very funny sentence:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Im very plaesed they dont rush they crafted this game very carefully this will be a JEWEL among all mmo,s when released, they realy knowing what there doing:)

Darkfall will be mmo all true pvp players wanne play:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• dippitydodahdippitydodah Member Posts: 130

looking at the screens tho you can already tell it's dated, I'm downlaoding a vid now but I can just tell by the way some of the characters stand it's going to have some bad animation.    Which is one big flaw for taking so long in development.

However hopefully the rest of the content is actually implemented and will make up for it's rather dated engine.   Gameplay always wins over flash.  Animation however is pretty key in my book for how I ike combat, I don't care if the textures are so so or the models a little clunky but if my guy swings his sword like someone who's never held a weapon before I won't be happy.