Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The bigger the better..?

WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Ive just reactivated my account for Eve *only to find their in the middle of an update =(* and will probably roll a new character, and im just curious, Ive always wanted an agile fighter type of ship *not a scout* that can quickly move about in a fight and take out the more fragile enemies, or just wreak havoc and such. I havent really looked into all the ships however from what im getting it seems that the bigger ships such as battleships/cruisers/etc are more designed for fighting, is this true? I mean I have no problem witha big ship, but im assuming that the bigger they are, the less agile. Interceptors sounds like what im looking for am I right? But from what ive read they're more of an electronic warfare type, which is fine and all with me, but can match it with moderate/okay gun power..?

Also if I do decide to go an interceptor, can anyone give me a rough estimate on how long it would take to reach the minimum requirements?

Comments

• XXenXXen Member Posts: 88

Skilling on Interceptor is fast done, about a month for all relevant skills, with good
        Attributes even less.
        They are not really EW, they are fast, agile, have a good punch of firepower for a frigsized ship,
        but armor thinner than paper.
        Primary Operation is to pinpoint and stop an enemy till the guys with the heavy guns arrive and kill him
        as well as fighting and killing frigs and small cruiser what they do very well.

At least every ship in EVE has its purpose, bigger is better just dont meets it, it depends not just on
        shipsize but on fitting too.
        So a shortrange Battleship can fight frigs too, even with Penalties through the long locking time and very small         fighting range, but on longrange Battleships are very vulnerable when smaller ships engage them on small
        range and so on...

You'll find the class you like and frig sized specilisations are fast aquired.
  • NatEVENatEVE Member Posts: 92

If you want fast and agile with moderate firepower, the Stabber (Minmatar Cruiser) is great for that. Hurricane (Minmatar Tier 2 Battlecruiser) is not as fast/agile but has nice damage output and tank and is still fast for its class (1km/s + with mwd). Of course you could also set it up for pure speed but sacrifice the tank which I wouldn't recommend (got mine up to 4,291 m/s). Point is, theres lots of options but Minmatar have the fastest/most agile ships among the races.

EDIT: And no, bigger doesn't mean better. Each ship has different roles, thats all.

• ManInTheBoxManInTheBox Member Posts: 75

for ratting/trade/mining yes. for pvp no. last time i played i was hell bent on ending up in the largest ship possible. i've since rollled an alt that i plan on flying small ships in untill i've gotten it totally decked/skilled out. only then will i move to a cruiser.
    jump in a punisher/rifter and find a good setup. get all the skills you need to fly said frig to the best it can be flown. jump in an inty and repeat.

*edit*
    and to the above i'd hardly call a cruiser fast :/ they are nice ships and can lay down a good amount of smack but fast they are not.

I consider 2.5km/s + to be fast. I guess your definition of fast is higher than that. Stabber is a very fast cruiser by my definition.

• ManInTheBoxManInTheBox Member Posts: 75
    fast for a cruiser indeed

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

hehe thx all for your input =D

Im probably gonna give interceptors a shot, it sounds like they're designed for patrols and such which is what im mostly interested in, if i ever manage to get in a good corp *im still kind of newbishimage* If that doesnt satisfy me then I guess taking the Stabber sounds like a good plan =)

Again, thanks all

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Interceptors are fast for sure, but are a little fragile. They aren't so much an EW platform as they are a webbing/warp scrambling platform. You get in, lock a target down and orbit like crazy hoping they can't hit you and don't web you themselves.

If you're looking for small firepower, the Assault Frigates might be a good choice. They are essentially beefed up Frigates, like Interceptors but with drastically higher resists. Some Assault Frigates are able to tank as well as a battleship. I have a Hawk (Caldari missile Assault Frigate) that was hit for a "wrecking shot" (think, critical hit) for 0.9 damage once. :) Most similar damage is 150 damage or so against a normal ship.

Both Interceptors and Assault Frigates aren't the best weapon platform though, with T2 weaponry they can kill things, but not as quickly as a Cruiser/Battleship might be able to.

That said, the Amarr Interceptors are ridiculously sexy. :)

Interceptors are indeed fun. Just remember speed is life. You slow
    down, lose transversal, you pop quickly. (Beware the nos'ing
    battleships). Interceptors are mostly used to kill T1 frigates and to quickly lock and warpscramble a target for the rest of your group. Sometimes you can get a cruiser but if you're setup close range, just pray he doesn't have webs or nos. Had a lot of fun flying interceptors though I've now
    moved on to frigates. I love going out and killing inty pilots in a
    rifter. I like using stabber like a heavy interceptor as its got the
    speed to tackle but has a bit more survivability and damage. If you want to learn more about frigate fighting, take a class from the pvp-university. They're really good.

Create an account and enroll here

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

There is one ship that fits your description perfectly, think speed and agility of an interceptor but firepower and tank of a cruiser. Can get in fast, kill a few ship and get out as fast again. The ship that can do this is the Vagabond. My setup does 4km/s and will do even more after Revelations, if you are willing to shell out for pirate implants we are talking 6-8km/s.

Sadly it costs not only your shirt but pants and socks as well. Second most expensive non capital ship non rare ship in the game. Hopefully the introduction of Invention will lower the price a bit.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."