Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I came back after 2 years

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

My /played on my first char was November 2004 and I left because SOE decided to release a half baked game before it was ready.  EQ2 was trash at launch but hear me out.

If you're willing to give the game a fair 2nd chance, and you're willing to forget most of what you knew from years ago then I'm here to tell you:

The graphics and visuals in this game are amazing

I have the same computer now as i did 2 years ago except I have a slightly better vid card (had 5700 now have 6600) and I can play the game on high quality settings flawlessly.

The quests are fun- you're still on rails but isn't that the same for every 2nd gen MMO game isnt it?  I find there is a lot of variety of quests.

Character variations seem to be happening a bit - it doesnt seem that every lvl 12 paladin is wearing the same cloak.

EQ2 is the underdog in the market and getting beat around in the market has done this game %120 good. The dev's have made a real quality product IMHO -- everything just seems well done now which is different then before.  Two words for EQ2 now: High Quality

It seems to me that the Devs have really poured their heart and soul in this game.  Its got the polish I wish it would have had a while ago.

gj imho.

It might not be the biggest open ended sandbox we all wish we had in our 2nd and 3rd gen games but for what it is, and what it intends to be its came along quite well.

Comments

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

Good post and i agree 100% i've played the game since march 2005 and have seen it evolve from a rough and ready game to the point its at now,the best MMO on the market nothing competes with it tbh.

All the changes have been made for the good of the game and not some half baked idea written down on the back of a napkin (step forward SWG),i've just resubbed for a second full year up front and i'm a mean SOB who doesnt like parting with lots of cash all at once but for this game its worth it.

• JMoney95JMoney95 Member Posts: 211

I played EQ2 in beta and at release. Terrible, terrible game.

Nearly 2 years later I browsed the game update notes and figured to give it another go, since no good MMOs out anyway. And it is a whole new game. All the crap I hated is gone. Like group debt (over a year ago), and many other things. And having a blast playing it now.

• FugnudzFugnudz Member Posts: 480
    Tell me when they get rid of the "Horrible Wheel".  I might come back too.
  • fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003
    I miss spirit shards in a funny sort of way..image
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by Fugnudz

I take it you mean the Heroic Opportunity wheel???

Originally posted by Flem

I take it you mean the Heroic Opportunity wheel???

Yep.  A friend of mine coined that name ("Horrible Wheel").  Basically, I see EQ2 as having too many redundant classes with too many redudant abilities. 

This makes play strategy muddled enough without having the H.O. Wheel completely trivialize abilities.  Right now, combat becomes less about selecting your special abilities as it does repeatedly setting off the H.O. Wheel with all of its random non-sensical, but vastly beneficial events (i.e., like fighter types setting off a group heal.  What gives?)

This game still has lots of tightening up to do before I see it as a serious competitor with the 2007 releases.  I do tip my hat to Sony for resurrecting GFay; that was a great idea.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Yep.  A friend of mine coined that name ("Horrible Wheel").  Basically, I see EQ2 as having too many redundant classes with too many redudant abilities. 

This makes play strategy muddled enough without having the H.O. Wheel completely trivialize abilities.  Right now, combat becomes less about selecting your special abilities as it does repeatedly setting off the H.O. Wheel with all of its random non-sensical, but vastly beneficial events (i.e., like fighter types setting off a group heal.  What gives?)

I have to wonder if you’ve even played EQ2.  You certainly don’t seem to have much of a grasp of the gameplay or mechanics of the game.  

If anything HO’s are underpowered, so most people ignore them and while there are plenty of abilities that seem somewhat similar understanding the subtle differences between them and using them accordingly is what separates the good players from the mediocre ones.  The same applies to the various classes, while there are classes that are similar there some important differences in both playstyle and capabililty. (technically these are sub-classes BTW, the game has 12 classes, each consisting of 2 related but different sub-classes)

Originally posted by lomiller

I have to wonder if you’ve even played EQ2.  You certainly don’t seem to have much of a grasp of the gameplay or mechanics of the game.  

Yes, I have played EQ2.

If anything HO’s are underpowered, so most people ignore them and while there are plenty of abilities that seem somewhat similar understanding the subtle differences between them and using them accordingly is what separates the good players from the mediocre ones.  The same applies to the various classes, while there are classes that are similar there some important differences in both playstyle and capabililty. (technically these are sub-classes BTW, the game has 12 classes, each consisting of 2 related but different sub-classes)

So now HO's are "underpowered", yet still somehow necessary.  Hmm.

The classes are contrived and only served the purpose of filling slots in the artificial branching class system (which has been a failure since DAOC).  The abilities are much the same; fillers.  I cannot help but think that the dev's told the associate dev's to make up an ability or two for each character level for each class.  So that a fighter has as many abilities as a caster.

The game design is flawed in my opinion, although the graphics and other technical aspects of the game are pretty good.

But if you enjoy it, have fun.

Yes, I have played EQ2.

The classes are contrived and only served the purpose of filling slots in the artificial branching class system (which has been a failure since DAOC).  The abilities are much the same; fillers.  I cannot help but think that the dev's told the associate dev's to make up an ability or two for each character level for each class.  So that a fighter has as many abilities as a caster.

The game design is flawed in my opinion, although the graphics and other technical aspects of the game are pretty good. 

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    fudnuz, I have to ask you a question here...

If you dislike it so much and you are seeing things that simply aren't there (I've been playing almost since release and think you're wrong) then why are you even on this forum?

See, I hate WoW with a passion. I think it's the worst possible game out there. But I don't go to WoW's forum just to bash it.

However, you come to EQ2's forum just to bash it. Personally, I'd say doing that is trolling. Because you KNOW the reaction you're going to get from people since most of the people here are fans of the game. You wouldn't be doing that would you? Because we all know trolling violates the Use Term Agreement you made when you signed up on the MMORPG forums.

Originally posted by Moirae
    fudnuz, I have to ask you a question here...

If you dislike it so much and you are seeing things that simply aren't there (I've been playing almost since release and think you're wrong) then why are you even on this forum?

I am trying to creat an impetus for change in a game that the fanbois have ruined.  Many suggestions I have made on other forums have been implemented (not saying they followed my advice directly).  For example, I have always been a proponent of choosing final class at level 1 (or at least not level 20!).  This change has come about.

See, I hate WoW with a passion. I think it's the worst possible game out there. But I don't go to WoW's forum just to bash it.

WOW is a tolerable mixture of the best and worst gaming elements.  I agree, WOW can be annoying.  But WOW will not change unless they get feedback.  Perhaps you should go to their forum.

However, you come to EQ2's forum just to bash it. Personally, I'd say doing that is trolling. Because you KNOW the reaction you're going to get from people since most of the people here are fans of the game. You wouldn't be doing that would you? Because we all know trolling violates the Use Term Agreement you made when you signed up on the MMORPG forums.

I come to EQ2's forum with a vision for the future.  (Excuse me while I scratch my nuts.  There, done.)  I come to EQ2's forum with a vision for the future.  EQ2 can be the game it was meant to be; the game that the EQ player base had expected.

And no, I am not trolling.  Not everyone you disagree with is a troll.  Sometimes folks who look for trolls should take a look in the mirror (you might see green skin!)

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

I bought EQ2 the very day it came out but threw it in the garbage a month later. It was terrible. But last month I decided to give it a second go so I resubscribed. I'm glad to see that they fixed up the game. IMHO it's the best game out at the moment. The graphics are a work of art and I love the crafting system.

Unfortunately I dont find Heroic Opportunities very useful. Maybe I'm doing them wrong or something but I dont notice much difference when I use them. I mean I see all the jazzy lightening and laser type lights but not much happens. So I pretty much ignore them.

I also agree with the earlier comment about alot of the combat abilities being just a copy of other ones.

Still though it's great to be back in EQ 2.

Yes, I have played EQ2.

Slow down.  Get your thoughts collected…   

The classes are contrived and only served the purpose of filling slots Then why are they different? Does a dirge go in the same raid group you would put a troubadour in?  Are brigands and swashbucklers interchangeable?  Who would work better in the main tank group an Illusionist or a Coercer?  Why would you want a Warlock around against a level 74+ Epic mob?  in the artificial branching class system (which has been a failure since DAOC). 

Seems to be working pretty well to me.  You would think there must be some reason why almost every new class based game is using a variation on the system.  Perhaps you just don’t understand the system well enough to spot these similarities.

The abilities are much the same; fillers. 

Nope, I already said they aren’t and I’d be more then happy to explain the differences to you if would try and support your statements with a few examples.

I cannot help but think that the dev's told the associate dev's to make up an ability or two for each character level for each class.  So that a fighter has as many abilities as a caster.

I am at a loss to even try to figure out why a fighter should have fewer abilities then a caster.  Both have their jobs to do and both need a set of abilities to perform that job.

All I’ve seen you post in this forum are uniformed categorical statements.  For some reason, however, you seem to be under the impression that you can post incorrect statements backed up with nothing and simply call people “fanbois” when they shoot you down.  Hopefully some day you will realize that this doesn’t give you more credibility, rather it highlights the fact that you really don’t know what you are talking about. 

Originally posted by Darktania 

I also agree with the earlier comment about alot of the combat abilities being just a copy of other ones.

My Wizard has ~25 different attacks/spells that could be the most suitable to use at any given time.  Making the correct selection can more then double my DPS output.  Making the wrong selections either kills my DPS or kills me by generating more hate then the tank can sustain.  The abilities *are not* interchangeable. 

(Perhaps you are referring to the fact that most abilities are upgraded versions of older abilities?  That's something EQ2 inherited from EQ1 and actually works quite well IMO, it would be nice if more lines were on different update schedules though.)

• eternaldjeternaldj Member Posts: 5
    i've been playing this game since November 14, 2006 and have gone through all these changes, the game was really buggy and honestly not much fun when it first was released, but i do agree now after these expansions and recent changes it has made this game very balanced and enjoyable.  one of my favorite parts is creating a character because of all features you get to change.  i played WoW also because my friends forced me into it...it was fun for a bit, that is until i hit 60 and i ran out of things to do pretty quick. i love EQ2 and will be playing it for awhile unless Vanguard lives up to its word and is the WoW and EQ2 killer!

EQII

70 Brigand of Everfrost
    70 Shadowknight of Everfrost