Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dervish

dhartzdhartz Member Posts: 482
Hi.I', thinkin of tryin out GW nightfall (i will be new o gw series) and im sure il go for teh Dervish. But i need a little help wich sublass to choose for him ^^. Maybe combine the 2 new classes dervish/paragon ? :p.. thx for ur help

Comments

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581
    You will be able to change your subclass as many times as you wish later into the game so it doesn't really matter.  You only get a set amount of skill points to easily spend so I would recomend as a new player you stick most of thoses into your Dervish skills.  That way when you do change your secondary your primary will be strong enough so that you don't feel like you're suddenly losing half of your skills.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by dhartz
    Hi.I', thinkin of tryin out GW nightfall (i will be new o gw series) and im sure il go for teh Dervish. But i need a little help wich sublass to choose for him ^^. Maybe combine the 2 new classes dervish/paragon ? :p.. thx for ur help

You will be using mostly dervish skills anyway, but early on monk and elementalist subs are usefull.
  • daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Paragon has a convenient self heal and a rez which come in handy.  Other than that, stick to your derv skills IMO.

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Your first class will likely get more skills than a class switch later on, and will likely be a lot cheaper to deal with.

D/E seems to work quite well together. Earth Magic and Earth Prayers, combined with Scythe Mastery and Mysticism, can do wonders. D/Mo is also an excelent option, giving you some additional Enchants to work with and some more Res skills. D/R can give you some interresting combinations as well, including some rather useful stances. Same with a D/W, and with that setup you won't have to use the Scythe (but I recommend the Scythe, it's just a better weapon for PvE play).

Any secondary you pick will work, once you get the right skills and find the right combinations. I just recommend picking one that will work well for you to begin with. Just try out as many different skills before you settle on a single class. Because, once you settle on a secondary, you're locked in until you can get off of that island.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• hotdogshotdogs Member Posts: 59
    is dervish the 1 w/ adrenaline skills or is that  the paragon?image
  • paragon has adrenaline and 80 al armor

• BendrixBendrix Member Posts: 25
    It's rather odd.  I was really looking forward to this expansion, but the dervish.  A spinning person with blades?  Huh?  The Paragone seems cool, but really, is it worth it?  Anyone have any doubts and took the plunge?  Let me know what you think of the new classes.
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Bendrix
    It's rather odd. I was really looking forward to this expansion, but the dervish. A spinning person with blades? Huh? The Paragone seems cool, but really, is it worth it? Anyone have any doubts and took the plunge? Let me know what you think of the new classes.
    Dervish wields a scythe. Its kind of a holy warrior with main focus on enchants that have an effect when cast & another effect when they end. Also some skills depend on how many enchants you have on.

Coupled with lots of dervish skills that end enchants (& they get energy + a little health when any enchant ends on them) means its fairly easy to find combos.

Havent played Paragon but they are team support (lots of team effect skills) & not many play them (like with all support proffessions). Also the paragon male armor is kind of odd (skirt/shorts) which drives it further down the popularity scale.

• Originally posted by Bendrix
    It's rather odd.  I was really looking forward to this expansion, but the dervish.  A spinning person with blades?  Huh?  The Paragone seems cool, but really, is it worth it?  Anyone have any doubts and took the plunge?  Let me know what you think of the new classes.

Paragon is a really nice class.  Easy to underestimate but very powerful in many ways.

Dervish is an point blank AoE with tons of enchantment stuff.  Dervish do not spin (except when they dance) thyey just whack things with bigass scythes.

For me the really cool thing about Dervishes is the enchantment management.  You can stack em up for effects and extra scythe damage or store and unwind the stack for damage or healing or other effects.  Its a very interesting class because its useful to both have AND remove enchants.  Removing enchants off a dervish does not always make them helpless, you can play dervish for constant enchant recasting.  They play different than a prot monk with heavy enchants.