Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free AD supported SWG?

Comments

• GunnyFisherGunnyFisher Member Posts: 65
    To many bugs that havn't been fixed in YEARS, plus a whole host of new ones TBH. I resubbed a week ago, I can't stand to play it.

Have faith in God, believe in antimatter.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by linuxgamer

Free AD supported SWG, would you play it?http://soe.lithium.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=1265764

Sure, if all the ads ingame are from Bioware::::02::

• linuxgamerlinuxgamer Member Posts: 126
    Someone posted on there that SOE already put ADs into Planetside. However, Planetside does not have a basic free version.

When I play Anarchy Online, the Ads don't bother me one bit. It's freakin free! LOL

• mas5949mas5949 Member Posts: 26
    I wouldn't mind if they put adds in and made the game free like Battlefield series. Not paying a monthly fee might take some of the pain away from playing the game.

• DundeeDundee Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by linuxgamer
    Someone posted on there that SOE already put ADs into Planetside. However, Planetside does not have a basic free version.

When I play Anarchy Online, the Ads don't bother me one bit. It's freakin free! LOL

PlanetSide Reserves, AKA the cannon fodder program.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Wonder what LA would think about in-game ads?

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

In game ads are completely inappropriate in a Star Wars game.  Advertisments for real world products in this virtual SW world is inconsistent with the movies we saw on the screen, and therefore should not be allowed.  Ads for fictional products that might exist in the Star Wars, say hyperdrive parts, might be acceptable if done right.  However, I can't imagine anyone paying to advertise a product that doesn't exist. 

Of course, the game in its current pathetic state, is such a insult to the movies and any true star wars fan, that its hard to imagine what more harm could be done.

JF if you are still reading this post, I have a bit of a bone to pick with you.  Although I don't hold it against you personally of course.  Your JTL design put players access to certain content, above staying true to the movies. What I mean by that is the decision to allow players to use iconic faction starcraft (ie X-Wings, Tie Fighters) without be overt.  This of course destroys star wars immersion by not permitting combat between ships that would be in combat.  In a sense, it says there wasnt' really a war between the empire and rebellion in space.  

In my mind, that was the thin end of the wedge that opened up the game to all sorts of anti-star wars content.  From that point on, the game went down hill.  After that, it seemed the devs had the sense that it was ok to trash the movies.  Every single major change after that up to and including the NGE, bit by bit, made the game less like Star Wars.   

That being said, I understand that even if your design had supported, rather than destoryed Star Wars immersion, we may still have ended up with the NGE.  Likewise, i understand that perhaps something else was driving both your design and the horrible changes that followed.

I've been wanting to post this since you began posting here.

I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas!

• torioustorious Member Posts: 66
    if they went about it an artistic way (not that they would)

say they wanted to put in a coka~cola ad, they could take the can exactly as it is and put alien letters on it so it didn't say "coka cola" or "~always~" on the sign, but you knew it was a coke can - and because you saw it in the game you would then go out and buy coke image i will obey...

so they don't have to come right out and say THIS IS THE PRODUCT, but as long as they could market it properly in the game, it could be done (would they lower the monthly fee? probably not - but they could put advertisments in the game if done right)