Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about NCSoft and botting

BlaadBlaad Member Posts: 64

L2 is the only mmorpg I have ever played.  I have been playing the game since prelude. NCSoft tacitly approved of botting from C1-C4 (especially in C3 and C4).  Presumedly, for the subscription fees.  I have some questions for experienced mmorpg players:

1. Have you ever seen or heard of a mmorpg company intentially not enforcing its TOS to maintain subscriptions or is this type of behavior unique to NCSoft?

2. Does NCSoft allow botting in any of their other games (e.g. CoH, CoV) or was this unique to L2?  If it was unique to L2 do you know why?

3. Would participating in a nonenforcement scheme hurt a career in the gaming industry?  Im thinking of people like HGMspam, Mistryl, Rust, etc.  Spam is the leader of the GMs and is responsible for the enforcement of the TOS.  He would have to be a key player in a nonenforcement scheme.  Mistryl is the L2 community manager and principal moderator of lineage2.com.  NCsoft suppresses almost any information about botting and lack of TOS enforcement.  Mystryl would have to be a key player in the suppression of this type of information.  And Rust is the North American producer of the game.  Would a legitimate gaming company hire people that participated in this type of behavior at a previous company?  Do you know of anyone that participated in this type of silliness that has played a prominent role in a game at a different company?

4. Why do you think NCsoft is enforcing the TOS at the moment? Do you think its a permanent change of policy or a temporary action to accomplish some short term goal?  If its a temporary change what is motivating them to enforce the TOS now?

Thanks

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

1. No, but they're one of the worst.

2. There's no sense in botting in CoH/CoV. As for their other games, I don't know.

3. I would imagine that if the devs are doing this, then everyone under them would be instructed to as well.

4. I'm thinking probably until the free trial is over, as they are trying to get more subscribers. It'll more than likely return to normal after that.

• thunderbolt1thunderbolt1 Member Posts: 28

Of course silly, its a big conspiracy to make the farmers money.

All of these people have worked for years of their lives on a game (any game for that matter) so they can aid the chinese farmers. Yup, believe it or not, all of these people have thrown their names and careers in the mud for their benefit. NCsoft has spent millions of dollars to help them out because they like them. Shocking but true. You are like the only one who didn't know, all the other "elite" L2 experts know (oh your not "elite" on this gold advertising site yet, your just an "apprentice"). And another secret, only L2 has bots, no other game has them. Especially if they are made in the west. Never ever even suggest that. Men in black suits will want to talk to you if you say things like that. What ever you say, always remember World of Warcraft doesn't have any bots or farmers its all lies.(shhhhh) So warm and fuzzy, Blizzard loves you. I feel so good....Play the game, you will like it, after all, how can 7 million people be wrong?

Boy, I am gonna sleep so good tonight, another one saved from the clutches of evil.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,075
    55 million people voted for Bush.

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SantaClaws48SantaClaws48 Member Posts: 280

Originally posted by Blaad

L2 is the only mmorpg I have ever played.  I have been playing the game since prelude. NCSoft tacitly approved of botting from C1-C4 (especially in C3 and C4).  Presumedly, for the subscription fees.  I have some questions for experienced mmorpg players:
    1. Have you ever seen or heard of a mmorpg company intentially not enforcing its TOS to maintain subscriptions or is this type of behavior unique to NCSoft?
    2. Does NCSoft allow botting in any of their other games (e.g. CoH, CoV) or was this unique to L2?  If it was unique to L2 do you know why?
    3. Would participating in a nonenforcement scheme hurt a career in the gaming industry?  Im thinking of people like HGMspam, Mistryl, Rust, etc.  Spam is the leader of the GMs and is responsible for the enforcement of the TOS.  He would have to be a key player in a nonenforcement scheme.  Mistryl is the L2 community manager and principal moderator of lineage2.com.  NCsoft suppresses almost any information about botting and lack of TOS enforcement.  Mystryl would have to be a key player in the suppression of this type of information.  And Rust is the North American producer of the game.  Would a legitimate gaming company hire people that participated in this type of behavior at a previous company?  Do you know of anyone that participated in this type of silliness that has played a prominent role in a game at a different company?
    4. Why do you think NCsoft is enforcing the TOS at the moment? Do you think its a permanent change of policy or a temporary action to accomplish some short term goal?  If its a temporary change what is motivating them to enforce the TOS now?
    Thanks

1. This is kind of a backwards question. If you allow botting then people are going to leave them game. So, it doesn't really keep your subscriptions up. I do admit that NCSoft was pretty lax on the botting and farmer issue for the first 3 chronicles.

2. NCSoft does not allow or condone botting in L2.

3. See my answer to question #1.

4. They are probbaly finally listening to the community. They have been much better with customer support recently, which was one of the biggest issues that customers had with NCSoft.

It's pretty easy to be critical of botting and what not from an outside view. I know lots of people who bot and get banned.

• xephonicsxephonics Member CommonPosts: 672
    they seem to almost be looking into the bot reports players send in.

I sent 2 reports in within 10 hours on the same bot group, and within 1 hr of my second report the whole group was gone (they seemed to kick/ban one at a time).  And these bots were all formt he same clan, and had normal names, and all had atleast +8 weapons, so atleast it made a lil difference.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

Originally posted by Blaad

Because they are on a witch hunt to shut down all private servers.  Once that's over we'll see if they pull in subscribers. If not they'll be back to ignoring botters to make the #'s look good. Just my 2 cents.
  • xephonicsxephonics Member CommonPosts: 672
    yah probaly

all they are doing by shuting down pservers is bringing more botters into the real servers.  it is annoying, but oh well, nothing we can do about it.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.