Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comp Problems

noobletnooblet Member Posts: 2,274
Lately my comps been really acting up. After about 10-30 mins of being on it the screen starts going all choppy (wether i'm gaming or browsing net etc)  and after a couple seconds of that  it gets super choppy and then the screen gets complelety chopped into neon colour lines and freezes. Then my monitor loses signal and i have to restart , at first i thought it might possibly be the monitor so i swapped it with an older one but still the same problem. Pritty sure it's not a virus because i ran my scanner and nothing. I'm guessing it could possibly be my vid card? Overheating or something? (My first vid card on this machine overheated and blew or whatever and i had to get it replaced) I've poked around in the bios and everything seems fine although i really dont know what im doing in there lol. I know theres some pritty tech savy people on here and i'm wondering if you guys might know what the problem could be/if it's fixable by myself. 

Comments

• CowinspaceCowinspace Member Posts: 671
    Sounds like an overheating graphics card, check it and make sure the fan is working properly. You may need to clean it out with some canned air, or at worst replace the cooler.

• noobletnooblet Member Posts: 2,274

Originally posted by Cowinspace
    Sounds like an overheating graphics card, check it and make sure the fan is working properly. You may need to clean it out with some canned air, or at worst replace the cooler.
    Thanks i'll see if that will help. I just got this after restarting.

''Windows Registry Recovery - One of the files containing the system registry data had to be recovered by the use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was succesful. ''

I'm guessing thats from something i possibly screwed up while i was in the bios , maybe not.

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587
    It sounds like something is overheating, not neccessarily the graphics card though. Open up the BIOS tell me the temperatures of all of the components.

here are the temps (the ones i could find atleast lol)

CPU temp - 43.5C/110 F

MB temp - 18C/64 F

CPU fan speed - 3358 rpm

chassis fan speed - N/A

Power fan speed - 2700 RPM

CPU q-fan -disabled

Chassis q-fang - disablded

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

Originally posted by nooblet

CPU temp - 43.5C/110 F

MB temp - 18C/64 F

CPU fan speed - 3358 rpm

chassis fan speed - N/A

CPU q-fan -disabled

Your CPU and MB temps are both good. So, now lets inspect teh video card. DOes your card have a monitoring program with it?

• SmurfMagicSmurfMagic Member Posts: 664

Its funny how "know it alls" always say "oh it sounds like its over heating, better take out the canned air and give it a once over" LOL

but yeah, check those fans cause the bearings do go. As for dust bunnies, ive seen comps clogged with so much dust it looked like .... like ..... very very bad.... but hey, they still worked !

95% of computer problems are related to software though.

the other 5% are hardware.

Originally posted by xpyrofuryx

CPU temp - 43.5C/110 F

MB temp - 18C/64 F

CPU fan speed - 3358 rpm

chassis fan speed - N/A

CPU q-fan -disabled

Your CPU and MB temps are both good. So, now lets inspect teh video card. DOes your card have a monitoring program with it?

Is that found in the Bios? otherwise where would it be found , cause i belive it should have one. My vid card is a geforce 6800 gt.

It's not crashing anymore when i browse but it's crashing very fast once i try to play a game. So i'm pritty sure its the gfx card , anyone know a prog that shows your gfx card temp? Because mine doesn't seem to come with any heat monitor.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

It's not crashing anymore when i browse but it's crashing very fast once i try to play a game. So i'm pritty sure its the gfx card , anyone know a prog that shows your gfx card temp? Because mine doesn't seem to come with any heat monitor.

It really does sound like it is the graphics card thats doing it tell me does it ahppen when you are palying a graphically intense 3d game. also what type of graphics card is it. And how much onbourd memory does it ahve.

The game i'm usually playing is DAOC and i would say it's a pritty graphically intesnse 3d game.

System specs

proc : AMD atholon 64 3800 +

Ram : 1gb

vid card : Geforce 6800 gt , memory: 256mb

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Sounds like an overheating graphics card indeed. If you don't find a monitoring program (sorry I don't know one either), try running your PC with the case open and look at/listen to the graphics card fan.

-Does it run at all?
    -Does it run at full speed, or does it barely go round? Strange noises from the fan would increase suspicion here.
    -Are the air channels in the heat sink clear? I've seen old PCs where they were clogged with dust- not good.

If the fan does not run properly, I guess you found the culprit. Good luck finding a replacement fan, it is a bit more difficult than finding a CPU fan (depending on model).

If the fan runs as it should and the heat sink is clean, my last (grasping at straws now) guess would be the thermal compound has dried out. You could try removing the heatsink and applying new thermal grease. I would not be overly optimistic at this point, but before you throw the card away it is worth a try.

Finally, the craphics chip could actually be dieing. In that case, you're out of luck, get a new card image

Error caused by a video device driver

Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.

Error report summary

Error type Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
    Solution available? Yes
    What does this error mean? You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.
    Cause A video adapter device driver
    Computer symptoms A message appears on a blue screen with error code information:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
    - or -
    STOP: 0x100000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

Action for you to take

We have analyzed your error report and there are two solutions for this problem for you to choose between.
    + Solution 1: Install the most current driver for your video card

* Go to the Microsoft Update website to see if there are any updated drivers for your video card. A driver is software that enables hardware or devices (such as a printer, mouse, or keyboard) to work with your computer. Every device needs a driver in order for it to work. If there are any drivers listed, you should install them.
    * If there are no updated drivers at Microsoft Update, and you know the manufacturer of the video card, contact the card manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
    * If there are no updated drivers at Microsoft Update, you don't know the name of the manufacturer of the video card, and you need more help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.

+ Solution 2: Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter

hmmm..

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358
    If the same driver used to work earlier, I'd still suspect the hardware. Of course you can try installing the latest driver, but I've had drivers fail due to defective hardware (a NIC) myself. The driver simply did not work anymore, it did not notice that something was wrong with the card.