Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC worst failure since MxO and SWG?

124»

Comments

• UglekUglek Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Originally posted by Uglek

While I am hoping AoC will be true to Howards setting I just do not think Funcom can pull it off.  Look at there track record with AO.....
    Saying that I still may buy the game one because a decent amount of players I know are going to try it and two because I enjoy Howards writting and I would love to see it done even part way done in a MMORPG.

Their track record with AO tells us they cant pull off releasing a game before properly testing it, and that they will have the best customer service around, both in terms of bug fixes and ingame support.

Considering the fact that they are taking their time to be sure everything is right in AoC, the first point is moot.

That is your prospective, which I respect.....on the other hand I play with folks that think Funcom has some of the worse CS besides SOE.  Your milage my vary but does not mean that I am incorrect based on my experience.  Funcom has also admited they can not bring Howards worlld fully into a MMOPRG but are trying to keep as much as they can.  Will this be enough to make the world seem right to Howard fan.....we will see.

Just becasue a game is deleyed does not mean the game is gong to be any better or worse for that matter.  So the point is not moot if you are honest enough to see that.  For clarity I am not slaming AoC, like I said earlier I will more then likely buy it to see Howards Conan done in MMORPG form.   In fact in most gaming circles I vist I am the one that has brought up playing AoC.  Does that mean I have to defend the devs with a single mindedness?  Nope, I enjoy talking shop so to speak and reading up on other players concerns anmd question.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by Uglek

That is your prospective, which I respect.....on the other hand I play with folks that think Funcom has some of the worse CS besides SOE.  Your milage my vary but does not mean that I am incorrect based on my experience.  Funcom has also admited they can not bring Howards worlld fully into a MMOPRG but are trying to keep as much as they can.  Will this be enough to make the world seem right to Howard fan.....we will see.

Just becasue a game is deleyed does not mean the game is gong to be any better or worse for that matter.  So the point is not moot if you are honest enough to see that.  For clarity I am not slaming AoC, like I said earlier I will more then likely buy it to see Howards Conan done in MMORPG form.   In fact in most gaming circles I vist I am the one that has brought up playing AoC.  Does that mean I have to defend the devs with a single mindedness?  Nope, I enjoy talking shop so to speak and reading up on other players concerns anmd question.

Interesting, I've never met anyone who came away with that perspective of their CS, with the noted exception of a particular fellow I talked with who got the boot for inappropriate behavior.

In any case, technically, the point is still moot. That by no means indicates that they WON'T screw the game up, just that they have never released an MMO under the conditions AoC is under now.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Originally posted by Kungfubar
    only new thing i've seen from this game is mount fighting, and I don't think that it will be as impressive as they are trying to make it sound.

look closer bub:

1.) Directed, SKILL based combat

2.) true formation combat (IE. not just a tool for fast transport between battles)

3.) Crafting levels gained by comepleting dynamic quests, not by grinding

4.) Divided PVE and PVP skills, stats, exp, and loot tables

5.) No "kill X mobs of type Y" missions

6.) Multiple sensory systems, enemies can potentially see, smell, and/or or hear you.

7.) Stealth that highly depends on both what your wearing, and your environment. You can never "poof" in the middle of a fricken street in daylight

8.) Need based NPC AI, characters in a city will move about, eating, drinking, talking, working, lighting bonfires when night comes, going to sleep, etc.

9.) Siege combat (Yes, Shadowbane did that before, but badly. Also, your enemy here are human mobs as often as other players)

10.) Spellweaving, with which multiple spells can be woven together into an extremely deadly entity. Failing the delicate process can have disastrous consequences for the caster though.

11.) Soul Corruption, the more magic one uses, the more you get, if not carefull, the caster can go mad, striking at freind and foe alike.

12.) true collision detection for weaponry, if you wing a melee weapon, and it passes through two enemies, it damages both, and not just the one you happened to be targeting.

13.) Near FPS style system for the use of ranged weaponry.

14.) Magic users and priests that do not remotely qualify for the "glass cannon" description.

15.) Preists are much more usefull as an active contributing member of the team than as a buffbot, even if those programs were allowed.

16.) A setting that hasnt been scrubbed squeeky clean, it will never be "politically correct"

There is more, but I've got to run, my job calls me away

17.) DRUNKEN BRAWLING!

18.)No Elves or Orcs.

19.) Decapitations and amputations with gushing blood.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

why must there be millions of races?

why cant we just have a human race and you choose your class? whats wrong with that?

• ToadmonkeyToadmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 84
    The classes should be large breast, extra large breast, and use the wheel barrel size breast.

• alexcdo01alexcdo01 Member Posts: 8
    Conan !
  • kingturellokingturello Member Posts: 2
    AO was a great game considering its competition. Funcom obviously would of made a hell of alot of money off The Longest Journey and AO and they would of gained amazing experience from AO so whats stopping them making a great game? it all looks great so far.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

To be honest, AoC is promising soooo much that even if it is only half as good as they make it out to be, it will still be better than the MMORPGs out there atm.  We've already seen quite a few examples of the gameplay, so we know that it is at least semi decent...  So thats good. image

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• SinitassuSinitassu Member Posts: 67
    Oh man... If they'd ripp off WoW or GW I'd never read the AoC pages second time, it is so innovative compared to most mmorpgs out there that I'm thrilled about its release. Since It'll get 18+ stamp (atleast here in Finland) the community is prolly less infested with annoying 10-year-olds who stay with WoW I hope. So before I can really sy if it will be good, I have to play it, but for now, the game will be great. Though it should have permadeath and skill based system :). (levels suck)

- Tassu

"Lick My Weapons"

• HajenHajen Member Posts: 50

Wtf? whining about a game that has'nt been released yet :P...  I think it will be great anyway, definently gonna try it out :D

• RaduLykanRaduLykan Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Canigua

It's fun to see people register here just for trolling a game that's not even released yet
    get a life trollimage

Here here!!.  As of yet there are still a few trolls in the main AOC forums, but then again if anyone knows anything about the game, then you can see that a lot of the information that the trolls are giving make no sense with what has been released. 

So far the information about that game has been slow, too slow in my opinion, but the information released is actually quit good, ie. the AI for ambushes in the terrain actually takes a look at the level of the person passing and sees what to through at yoiu so it is at least a challenge but not to difficult that you can't defeat it.

can't wait to see the game in its entire form.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

This is the only MMO (or any other) game that I will actually pre-order if I possibly can.
    I am absolutely sure that it's going to be MAGNIFICENT.
    Just look at all the videos (check out youtube.com), all the innovations and all the awards that best Game websites gave AoC:

"It's the best MMO in development today"
    Gamespot (Winner Best MMO E3 2006)

"We've always had high hopes for Age of Conan, and this year's E3 demonstrated they're not misplaced"
    Yahoo Games (Winner Best MMO E3 2006)

"Fans of Conan should definitively be excited"
    IGN (Winner Best MMO E3 2006)

"Easily the most accessible and fun looking MMO of the show"
    Gamespy (Winner Best MMO E3 2006)

“One of the top ten PC games of 2006”
    PC Gamer USA

"What is not to love about this game?"
    MMORPG: (Winner: Most anticipated MMO of 2006)

When/if you get your hands on a beta account and actually TRY IT, then you may BASH or not bash it. I had high hopes for many games which at the end dissapointed me, but I sure as hell didn't spit on some product that I didn't actually use.

• ANANTAANANTA Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by HyborianHero

No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.

thats true for a lot of games, infact i cant think of any game that hasnt had a substantial drop-off in subscriptions after the newness effect has worn off. that is currently on the market. you can assume this game will be a mass failure all you want. i would rather let funcom prove to me if its a failure or not. they ahve been very stingy with their information releasing i agree.

i am curious to learn why you think they are falling behind? i have seen recent screens of the game, and it looks better than anything else i have seen. an all new combat type system in a mmo, first m rated mmo.. i mean yeah they are rehashing some of the original concepts of mmo's but a lot of those are the cornerstone of being a mmo.

perhaps you are a fan of a rival game trying to spread false pretneses? or is this just troll bait altogether? image

• WarpaintedWarpainted Member Posts: 11
    Go watch the latest Warhammer movie then watch AoC beta movie.  AoC and PotBS are the 2 games I'm looking at the most.  I would pre-order both of them right now if they had the option.  Are they gonna fail?  I don't think so but who knows.  Have to wait and see. 

• FreeJetFreeJet Member UncommonPosts: 3

I'm wondering if anyone else besides myself is feeling the dark cloud that is starting to hang over this game? It seems as more tidbits of information is released that AoC is offering nothing new. In fact the game seems to be actually falling behind some of the games currently available.
    It seems FunCom has hooked onto the Conan name in order to make some easy cash. But apparently their interest in REH's Hyboria begins and ends there. Conan fans on the AoC forums point out the multitude of areas that FC appear to be simply ignoring. I think this game is going to be an absolute disaster. At least for true Conan and REH fans.
    Unfortunately it may live long enough to be the stellar success that Anarchy Online is. And yes I was being sarcastic. As there is certainly enough people who want nothing more then to prove their l33t status to anyone in ear shot in PvP. No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.

You have no idea what your talking about Hero. How the hell are you going to call the game a failure before its even released? AoC looks to be a great game if you care for anything like innovative gameplay. Maybe you will be more happy sticking with Vanguard. You are not worthy!

you say funcom hooked into the conan name to make some easy cash? have you even looked at the aoc portal or taken the time to see what they are working on before you start trying to create a negativity on something you know nothing about? any fan of conan can see by taking the time to look that there is alot of creative energy going into this game. It is closer to a labor of love then something to be hooked into for easy cash. Btw what are you even thinking with this comment? since when is the name 'conan' the key to a big cash cow in the mmorpg world? you should play vangaurd or maybe lotro.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545
    Yippie do da day...

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• barrett99barrett99 Member Posts: 5

This was posted in march , we knew next to nothing about AOC then, how can you comment on it being a flop?

And SWG used to be a damn good game.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by jayweed

I'm wondering if anyone else besides myself is feeling the dark cloud that is starting to hang over this game? It seems as more tidbits of information is released that AoC is offering nothing new. In fact the game seems to be actually falling behind some of the games currently available.
    It seems FunCom has hooked onto the Conan name in order to make some easy cash. But apparently their interest in REH's Hyboria begins and ends there. Conan fans on the AoC forums point out the multitude of areas that FC appear to be simply ignoring. I think this game is going to be an absolute disaster. At least for true Conan and REH fans.
    Unfortunately it may live long enough to be the stellar success that Anarchy Online is. And yes I was being sarcastic. As there is certainly enough people who want nothing more then to prove their l33t status to anyone in ear shot in PvP. No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.

You have no idea what your talking about Hero. How the hell are you going to call the game a failure before its even released? AoC looks to be a great game if you care for anything like innovative gameplay. Maybe you will be more happy sticking with Vanguard. You are not worthy!

you say funcom hooked into the conan name to make some easy cash? have you even looked at the aoc portal or taken the time to see what they are working on before you start trying to create a negativity on something you know nothing about? any fan of conan can see by taking the time to look that there is alot of creative energy going into this game. It is closer to a labor of love then something to be hooked into for easy cash. Btw what are you even thinking with this comment? since when is the name 'conan' the key to a big cash cow in the mmorpg world? you should play vangaurd or maybe lotro.

/agree        and  please conan a big cash name  half of the people that say they are big fans of the game only know the movies which did no justice to the storys   so please saying conan is a big cash is stupid and yes please stick to vangaurd

now i like LOTR mabey more then the next guy  but the game looks like a disapointment so far with how thye are building it    now i would say  yes   that is a quick cash name  but who knows

• JenavivJenaviv Member Posts: 1

I like the idea that you can fight mounted, and i also love the concept of battle formations.

I bet this won't be a failure, it will be the opposite!

• barrett99barrett99 Member Posts: 5

if they keep up the PVE content after launch and add some extra PVP if its needed i think it will be ok.My guild is interested in this above the other new mmo's because of its city building feature, as we had the first ( and imho the best designed city on a SWG euro server) and its became sort of the foundation of the guild.

Of course if its a poor system we will probably leave,I just hope player houseing is made live a few months after launch.