Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Editorial: Two Casual Years Later

Comments

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by malachidark

World of Warcraft is the game for idiots, it was in the beginning and it is now. It's horrible to grind because it's so boring grinding by yourself (SWG had the best grinding system pre-NGE) and end-game just sucks period.

I clicked your "User Info" by mistake and couldn't help noticing that one of the games you have played and  will play is WoW. And since the game is for idiots as u seem to think....you can come to the conclusion yourself. image

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Paragus1
    As a leader of what was once the premier raiding guild on my server during our stay in WoW, I have to say I completely disagree with almost everything this writer says for many of the reasons previously stated.   He simply lacks credibility given his previous MMO experience to be taken seriously.   I think that anyone who has played a lot of games in this genre knows who spot wrong this guy is, and how he is given a front page editorial on a site that specializes in MMORPGs is beyond my comprehension. 

Most of the various types of gameplays he says this WoW caters to are hardly viable and laughable when compared to this games predicessors.  Anyone who is playing for PvP has obvioudly never played a serious PvP MMO at any length ala DAOC.  The raiding is a serious badly conceived gimmicky bosses which has more to do with know the bosses 47 little tricks and finding out the 1 way the devs left open to win the encounter.   The Burning Crusade does absolutely nothing to remedy the over instancing PvP, which continues to suck what remaining life there is on the old overworld, nor does it remeedy the fact the games instances / raids lose their luster rather quickly when you are running the same one 2 times a week for 34 weeks trying to get that special item or enough rep grounded out.  

Absolutely rediculous. A lot of players like WoW's pvp more then Dark Age of Camelot's. Its diffrent PVP, DAOC is not the holy grail of pvp.

Example of DAOC pvp:

DAOC PVP

Its VERY slow paced

WoW's PVP

Fast paces, a lot more action happens.

For me, its an easy choice.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I have to disagree with the above poster, DAoC pvp is not slow paced (relic raid anyone?) and is actually meaningful.

Think of it this way, if Horde wins every AV for a month does that actually DO anything to benefit the horde?  To the guy playing off in Stonetalon what you do in AV has no effect on him.

DAoC you take a relic from the opposing realm, you just increased your own damage for every single player of your realm.  The keeps aren't instanced, so you can't be sure there are "just" 40 opponents.  Plus I found that a castle siege was just hella fun.  image

Not to mention guilds could claim keeps and upgrade them.  So not only would a frontier keep have your guild's banner flying the ramparts, but you could have better equipped guards and stronger doors.

So yeah, I think DAoC version of pvp is a tad better than WoW's lackluster attempt. 

• shmigshmig Member Posts: 43
    I don't understand the perspective you (that disagree with the editorial) have when criticize what the author states. I am one of those people that has played WoW from the beginning, so have a full 2 years playing the game. I played WoW, DAOC, Eve, AC2, AO, SWG... the list goes on. And there are 2 game mechanics that I think make it more playable than any other MMO before it: simplicity, and the pace of the game. I recently started playing EQ2, as I am burned out on WoW, and much like Eve it is not simple to fully understand the choices you make when you choose to use one ability over another or the order one uses their abilities. For example, in EQ2 the cost, cooldown, and often the actual effect of the ability is not clear until you 'examine' the item. A better example: in Eve, if you choose to upgrade, say, your weapons on your noob ship you find yourself considering about 5 different factors in choosing the right weapon for you, which in turn requires you to reconsider multiple components related to your ship and all other components already equipped. In other words, upgrading your weapon often requires upgrading 2-4 different ship components, not to mention finding, buying, and then acquiring those components.

I'm rambling... WoW isn't perfect though. Why in the world did WoW set up armor the way that they did??? why even allow a rogue to wear cloth, they never will. Why does a priest have to wear cloth? They're just going to stand there casting heals, there's no need for light amor!

I also agree that WoW has no role-playing. This doesn't anger me, as I'm not a very good RPer anyway, but I do play on those servers. Why? maturity. It's still not perfect, but hey...

And WoW does get old. I feel sorry for those looking for groups to scholo or strat. Sometimes I feel like I slipped by just in time as everyone else was running these dungeons, cuz sometimes people seem to be waiting forever to go there. But in contrast, now that my 60 (that's right, 2 years of playing and I only cared to get 1 char to 60, but I do have over a dozen alts of all lvls) has been at end-game for some time, I find myself very very bored. There is nothing I can do solo, aside farming, that's worth my time. In fact, I find that the only reason to play my 60 is for raids. Finding a raid by your lonelies is basically impossible, and not very smart. And to get in a raid via your guild requires scheduling ahead, which doesn't always work out when you need 60 people.

PvP they've ruined. My guild once ruled the horde-side for PvP on our server, if not the whole server. I do enjoy what they've done with x-realm bg's, but with not balancing mechanism it's not worth it to me. But to compare it to DAOC, it's the best thing ever. Never again do I have to worry about getting into the fight at the right time or the right day to see some action or to have a good battle. In Wow, if the first match sucks, rejoin and it's a whole new opportunity. Regardless, you never wait and there's rarely a 'bad' day to PvP. But again, world-PvP is a joke. The new systems they implemented in in EPL and silithus is nice, but the rewards aren't worth it. There's just no point to it.

I'll end with quests. Most of the quests are enjoyable to do. I can't recall (too many) quests that felt like a grind or just frustrated me. But the story behind them was always lacking. Immediately, playing EQ2, I realized that quests can and should have important storylines, that fit into the scheme of the world, and give you enough motive alone to do the quests even if the end result is a simple grind. Had WoW's quests had the depth that I've found in EQ2 I might actually have the motivation to reread them, as well as repeat them. Eve lacks any real quest depth of any kind, and most other games I recall playing were simply average.

I worry that 10 more lvls and some new areas just won't suffice to fullfil what leaves me feeling empty when playing WoW. Granted, the expansion is needed, but I think it might be too late for what they going to give. For EQ2 being just as old and having 4 adventure packs, on their 3rd expansion, more depth, and greater detail (in every aspect: graphics, storyline, mechanics...), what WoW is giving us almost seems like a profitable joke.

• jmcwatersjmcwaters Member Posts: 17
    Y'know what...

WoW is bittersweet to me.  I hardly think BC will be worth it -
    but I do look forward to it.  I love the game, but I hate the
    community - the hype - the countless Counterstrike Kids who's cruddy
    little thrift store PC's happen to be able to run WoW.

However - anyone with a brain knew that even before WoW was released,
    it would be a smash hit.  Even people who despised the series knew
    that it would be this big.

So if you have to write an editorial that is an argument against the
    'nay-sayers' of the past... 2 years later, albeit... that goes to show
    you are either:

A) Utterly bored.

B) Utterly clueless.

You can't be being 'payed' to hype up WoW because they don't -need- the
    hype.  You probably had some terrible anti-WoW conversation with
    someone at 4am, and thought you'd type up some bogus, unprofessional
    little editorial based on the opinions of children and Halo feltchers.

So what's the point of my post?  You may as well have written an
    article on the importance of breathing oxygen in order to
    survive.  And wether or not I'm just being ornery and harsh - the
    fact of the matter is, you're losing respect writing articles like
    that.  And if you don't care - you need to grow up.

• variusvarius Member Posts: 32
    There are only 3 reasons why WoW is as sucessful as it is.

Number One: Blizzard already had a fanboy following, so people who had never played an MMO before bought WoW simply because it was the next Blizzard game. The Bait

Second Reason: World of Warcraft is addicting (note, I didn't say fun). To be anywhere near as good as you're "supposed to be" in WoW, you need to spend 4-5 hours A DAY instancing, grinding rep, and waiting in Ironforge for a decent group to form. The Trap

Reason the Third: Promises of future content that will reinvent the game. Stop kidding yourselves folks, Burning
    Crusade will be more of the same. The cap will be raised to 70, so you have to spend more time to level up, only to return to the same boring and endless instancing that you've already done at level 60. And if you honestly think that PvP will in any way be more interesting, well, you're setting yourself up for dissapointment.

I'll say it again, a person who only played UO for 3 days has no business posting any sort of articles on MMORPG.com
  • MLecl0001MLecl0001 Member Posts: 153
    I was once bitter about WoW, but then a friend pointed out that I was so bitter because I liked it so much.  He was so right, I loved the warcraft universe.  I had played all the previous Warcraft RTS games and was drooling to be able to get in and play one in the MMO genre.  I had fun during beta, and live, for a while that is.  Then  reality kicked in, the game was a grind, and at the end was a horrific grind.  Everything was too simple, you could jump in on any class at level 60 and be able to master it after playing for a half hour or so.  You could get to level 60 in 2 weeks, easy.  The raid instances were not hard, just learning them was annoying, but once you did it became an endless braindead zerg grinding fest for gear.

I was bitter because I had such high hopes for WoW, but Blizzard let me down in a big way.  Yet now I accept it for what it is, a PvE raiding game.  The PvP is the worst implementation in the world, it boggles the mind how any one could honestly call it PvP, its more like gear vs gear. 

WoW is popular no doubt and has a huge subscription base, but to all those people who tout the huge subscription base number, how many of those are in North America?  I know Blizzard has a huge asian following, simply because the end game grind is actually very asian style MMO play.  If you have ever played an asian MMO, that hasnt been watered down for western consumption, you would know that the WoW end game grind is very much their thing.  I resubscribed to WoW to check in on the changes and say hi to some old friends.  Lo and behold a lot of my old friends were gone, and I saw more servers with low pop (mostly PvP) than I had when I had originally left the game.  Now I am not saying that WoW is dying, but I do not believe right now that their NA subscription is going up, it actually appears as if people are starting to leave.

Also a lot of people still play WoW because the competition is either crappy or really old.  There are a lot of new MMOs coming down the pipe and we will see how WoWs subscriptions fare then.  I dont see the game dying as there are lots of Blizzard fanboys, this coming from an ex blizz fanboy, and a strong asian following.  There is a reason Blizzard no longers breaks down the numbers when they give them out.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• eruvineruvin Member Posts: 12

Haha I don't think I am better because I don't play WoW. As I mentioned in my post several pages ago, I totally agree with the saying "Different strokes for different Folks". I am happy that WoW is so popular, because it keeps more of the type of person I don't enjoy grouping with or even being around, away from me.

As for WoW being the best, that is a load of horse manure. "Best": is purely a relative term. Best depends on who is judging, and will be different for just about each and every person. Just because WoW has the largest market share does NOT mean by any means it is the best. I don't know about you, but when the Acadamy Awards roll around every year, the movies that get voted "Best" are rarely the ones I would have voted for.

Summer Blockbusters are usually the movies that rake in the most money... does that mean they are the best? No, I did not think so....As a matter of fact, they tend to have the weakest plots and acting of the movies released over the course of a year. Star Wars episodes 1-3 I found utter tripe, and would have liked to request my money back. They did extraordinarily well in the box office however, so I guess they must be the 'Best".

just because more people do something does not mean that thing is the best. It just means there is a lemming/mob mentality, where lots of people are followers and very few are leaders.

As for maturity level in games. I have played EQ1, EQ2, DAoC, CoH, Lineage 2 and WoW, as well as multiple betas. In MY OWN experience, I found the average WoW player to be VASTLY less mature than in any of the other games mentioned. Does that mean that EVERY player is immature? No of course not. As I said, it was a matter of experience. In previous games, it was the rare low level ( I won't say noob) that begged for money or gear. In WoW, it is the rule rather than the exception. In other games, I rarely had difficulty with groupmembers and loot. Only very rarely did I ever encounter a lootwhore. In WoW, again, selfishness is the rule rather than the exception.

PVP Alterac Valley is one of the best ideas I have seen for PVP. Yet the average immaturity of the people who enter that zone makes the grind to max faction similar to having an appendectomy sans painkiller. The whining and whinging and crying and arguing turns what could and should be a 30-45 min battle into something that can last for hours. Meanwhile, the battle channels are filled with "OMG I hate pallies!" on the Horde side, and "OMG dude Shamen suxxors!" on Alliance side.

Never before have I seen 'Leet Speak" (don't even ask me how to actually write that) to such a degree. Every game has its own vocabulary, of course. However, WoW players have taken this to a new level. I often ask myself if some players are capable of even typing in English. (And no this is not targeted at non-native English speakers, since I am one myself)

Certainly WoW has a lot going for it, IF you like WoW style.

- Cartoony graphics with cheesy armor/weapons

- easy soloability all the way to max level

- craptastic loot system where any mob in the game can drop "purple" or uber item, regardless of whether it is a rare spawn or not.

-Very Basic PVP system that allows a participant to earn a reward with absolutely NO risk whatsoever.

-Very Basic raiding system, with mobs requiring little strategy, that makes you feel like you are amazing because you can kill them...

-A High level of instancing, making it so that a month or so after hitting level 60, you have done each and every instance 50+ times, taking all the interest and surprise out of the game.

Sure, if you like these characteristics, then WoW is JUST the game for you. Please go buy it and enjoy it. Feel free to give Blizzard your money. The more of you that do this, the fewer I have to listen to whining about a game's difficulty and how death actually means something.

As for WoW being THE game to hate on, well, there is a lot there to hate. Some people jump on the bandwagon, sure, that goes with everything. For myself, I disliked the cartoony graphics, but after my horrid experience with EQ2 I decided to try WoW. I leveled up a troll rogue (way too many undead already) and raided through Onyxia. maxed PVP faction with every zone, leveled up a hunter to 54, a priest to 30+ and a shaman 30+. 4 months after buying the game, you could not PAY me to log in again.

I do not think I am superior. I just cherish my individuality and I seek a challenge in a game. Mindless simplicity to me is boring, not a factor of fun.  For you however, enjoy whatever you do. Don't try and tell me that your opinions are facts however, that just shows a lack of maturity right there. Everything I stated in this post I acknowlege as MY OPINION, and therefore subject to my own preconceptions. Man up and say the same..

• ammieammie Member UncommonPosts: 109

At the moment I am enjoying Wow, got a bit bored having reached level 60 but then just re-rolled, of course I realise my fun won't last, the high-end is just too simple and narrow, but for now I'm enjoying it.

Ok so I suppose that makes me a fan, but even being a fan I think that article is absolute rubbish!

Steve quotes:

Reviews prior to WoWs release comparing it to EverQuest II didn't exactly instil a lot of hope. WoW was the game for idiots, while EQII was praised as the hardcore achievers game. Everyone admired how smooth and flawless WoW was but it was predicted to fail by some, and miserably so after six months. Any idiot could make it to 60 in six months, then what would they do? The prophecy was that there'd be a mass exodus leaving vacant empty servers as the flighty casuals moved onto the next big pretty. And somehow six months, then a year came and went with the subscription numbers going only upwards. WoWs so popular that newspaper cartoon strips mentioned it regularly, it's been the main theme of several television shows, and even had a related question on Jeopardy. WoW is the 800 pound gorilla of the MMO world.

This is totally untrue, as I recall there was nothing but high expectation and great reviews/previews of the game, also Steve's use of words like "idiots" and "unwashed masses" is completely out of order.

Wow's most important contribution  is that it bought a lot of new players to MMORPGs at a time when they needed them.  As a well-crafted simpler game with rainbow graphics, pots of gold, a myriad of quests, it was perfect for swelling the ranks and keeping everyone playing. 

Then we hit a problem, WoW having subtly addicted many new players leaves them with nowhere to go and very little to do! A seasoned player to MMORPGs has learnt how emotional these games can be, you make friends, build guilds, fight and create together in a world where there is a common goal. A world where sometimes saying goodbye can be very hard.                                                                                                          

WoW starts you off on the right footing but slowly by its very nature seems to work against everything that is at the heart of MMOs, especially at the high-end. If a game becomes selfish and is just about items and rank it is not a true MMORPG, it's just a game and in that content WoW shines! No wonder so many love/hate WoW, it offers  the addictiveness and world of MMORPGs with one hand, but the other hand is empty.

Steve's article might have some valid points but overall it is immature and not an article that does anything to help the MMORPG world. At a time when flaming is the norm, the last thing we need is the sort of article that will divide the MMORPG community even more! 

• FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377

The main flaw with this article is the liberal use of the term "casual". A disclaimer needed to be put in that explains the writers definition of casual, because the term is so flexible and relative to the player.

The term casual can refer to a players atitude, or their given amount of play time. I've seen players that play for 5 hours or more but play "casually", that is they just chat with friends, hang out at certain popular spots, or just wander out to hunt wherever they feel like. Others play for less than 2 hours at a time but play "hardcore", that is they are focussed on achieving a certain goal in that time, completing a quest, exploring an area, levelling a tradeskill....

WoW 1-60 is great for the solo player, duo or small group, up 10 man groups. At 60 solo/duo play is viable, but not fun, since it involves faction grinding. At 60 WoW switches to a group game; with those groups gradually increasing in size until you reach raid level.

Whilst it might be technically possible for a "casual" gamer to enjoy the level 60+ game, it becomes increasingly less viable when you need greater amounts of time to play per sitting.

Finally, by reading between the lines I can only assume that the OP consider himself "casual" because he plays for 10 hours per week, more or less. Maybe, playing so infrequently, it would take 2 years to hit level 60. Maybe. I would consider the OP to be "ultra casual". I play these games for 2-3 hours per night, some nights, when RL activities allow, and would consider myself casual, and certainly far from hardcore. I fit my game time around RL, not the other way around, so even setting up smaller groups could be hit and miss.

Playing just 2-3 hours per night, without grinding, and often performing activities such as PvP or crafting (so no XP) I easily hit level 60, solo/duoed mostly, in just 4 months. At 60 I spend far more time waiting for groups/raids to set up, not a problem previously as a soloer or duoer, and that ate into my already limited game time.

To summarise: WoW is casual friendly?

1-60 yes.

60+ no not really.

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Findu speaks the truth.

I played since release... quit, came back, quit, etc. 1-60 was definately solo friendly. As an experiment, I took a hunter from 1 to to 58 in a month or so, and intentionally NEVER joined a group, did a dungeon, instance, or anything like that. I was trying to see if I could break the 10 days played to lvl 60, but fell a few levels short... (too much talking again :-). And 60+ is either group-only for an instance, or just grinding mobs for cash to buy epic mount. After the mount, there is literally no solo play, so you do raids, start another toon, or quit.

The OP article was correct though in his last paragraph. When faced with the group-solo question, Blizz said "let's make it possible to play solo... leading to more players... leading to more grouping because of higher population".

Other MMOs (eq2 for example) said "Let's make grouped encounters that can not be done solo, but require a balanced group. And let's keep the classes so distinct that each will be needed to flesh out said group"

At first glance, one might think that forced-grouping will result in more grouping, easier to find a group, etc. It just doesn't work that way. Blizz's approach has been proven by experience to be the better
    approach, (7.5 mill vs. under 400k). To add further validation to this
    point, eq2 then back-tracked and started injecting more solo content.
    The wow-eq2 battle which started two years ago has shown which style of
    MMO will win. Make it solo-able and solo-friendly, and you will have
    more people, more talking, more grouping.

Blizz's only real failure of choice was changing the game to group-only at 60+, and removing world-pvp. That is what 90% of the complaining about wow is on the wow-boards...those two things.

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

The point is well taken that WoW is a game for people with a limited amount of time to play. And I agree, and I for one am glad that this option is out there for gamers.

You know its like the Brittney Spears, or 50cent, or the U2 of the music world. The vast majority of "casual" listeners are into it! That’s cool by me.

Its just to bad that "casual" users have to miss out on all the really good, down and dirty gaming/music/media that’s out there. If you cut below the surface, past what 'they' call the "main-stream" there are many interesting and intelligent things to experience.

Perhaps in time someone will find a way to open the doors of the vastly complex and intelligently implemented world of non-mainstream gaming, so that those so called "casual" gamers can see what they have been missing.

Meh whatever. As usual discussions about casual gamers VS whatever other group of gamers are over simplified. In the end its the community that you run with that defines your play style, not the individual gamer. That said; games themselves don't define a type of player (you will find all sorts of players in all sorts of games; its just not as black and white as this article would imply)... player communities do. I wont over extrapolate, there are hundreds of forum posts on this topic.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by varius
    There are only 3 reasons why WoW is as sucessful as it is.

I'll say it again, a person who only played UO for 3 days has no business posting any sort of articles on MMORPG.com

Good points! All of them! And it is a pity that WoW-fanboys are in the editorial board. Every time one of them publish such an article they get negative response from community. And nevertheless they continue to publish them...
  • Parsifal57Parsifal57 Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Originally posted by Paragus1
    As a leader of what was once the premier raiding guild on my server during our stay in WoW, I have to say I completely disagree with almost everything this writer says for many of the reasons previously stated.   He simply lacks credibility given his previous MMO experience to be taken seriously.   I think that anyone who has played a lot of games in this genre knows who spot wrong this guy is, and how he is given a front page editorial on a site that specializes in MMORPGs is beyond my comprehension. 

Most of the various types of gameplays he says this WoW caters to are hardly viable and laughable when compared to this games predicessors.  Anyone who is playing for PvP has obvioudly never played a serious PvP MMO at any length ala DAOC.  The raiding is a serious badly conceived gimmicky bosses which has more to do with know the bosses 47 little tricks and finding out the 1 way the devs left open to win the encounter.   The Burning Crusade does absolutely nothing to remedy the over instancing PvP, which continues to suck what remaining life there is on the old overworld, nor does it remeedy the fact the games instances / raids lose their luster rather quickly when you are running the same one 2 times a week for 34 weeks trying to get that special item or enough rep grounded out.  

Absolutely rediculous. A lot of players like WoW's pvp more then Dark Age of Camelot's. Its diffrent PVP, DAOC is not the holy grail of pvp.

Example of DAOC pvp:

DAOC PVP

Its VERY slow paced

WoW's PVP

Fast paces, a lot more action happens.

For me, its an easy choice.

Aah the joys of instant gratification, i much more enjoy Daoc PvP style and am looking forward to WAR, there is no depth or meaning to WoW PvP, if you like instant rewards and not having to put much effort into your game I can see why you support WoW, everyone to their own I guess.

• LordGrodeLordGrode Member Posts: 1
    i think the Game Wow is doing very good for itself  as of now.  i  am really impreseed with the graphics. im loving  the NE's and Humans. great cities and overall great game.image
  • ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

?

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

Originally posted by Mithrandolir
    I just don't get it.
    Through all of my years of gaming... Taple Topping... Mudding... MMORPG'ing... I've always been aware and easily accepted the fact that there are different strokes for different folks, but this i can not wrap my head around.
    I tried it. I kept on playing because I thought there must be something I was missing. i played for a couple months. I just never "got it".

I didn't even enjoy the early levels. I just kept going hoping that "6 million" people were right and I would eventually "get it".

There are games out right now that i find to be a ton of fun, so i know it's not just me getting old and cranky ;)

This one blew right over my head, I guess ;)
    That's fine with me. I now understand that by not playing this, I am missing nothing.

please can you name some of these mmorpg's that are a ton of fun..ive tried alot of mmorpg's and wow is the only one worth investing time into....all the rest are just very poorly designed....games like final fantasy where you cant even solo past lvl 10.
  • eruvineruvin Member Posts: 12

ronan32 wrote, "you cant even solo past lvl 10. "

This is supposed to be a negative? Ah well, again, to each their own. For me, one of the MAJOR reasons I disliked WoW was that soloing was a viable alternative all the way from lvl 1 to lvl 60 for each and every class.

I don't know about you, but if I want to solo, I can plan an offline game. The reason I have stuck with mmogs since I first entered Norrath 1.0 in 1999 is because I find soloing boring. Community is what keeps me coming back to Mmogs. For me, I look for Solo play only if I cannot find a group. I never start out looking to solo. Again, there are countless non-mmog games for that.

Unlike Ronan, I feel a game that allows one to solo all the time prevents community, rather than builds it. I feel a greater sense of achievement when I accomplish a goal as a result of building a team, whether it be group size or raid size.

• Akuma22xAkuma22x Member Posts: 10
    I really dont understand the point of this article, i played DAoC for 4 1/2 years, as a "casual player"... The only reason i play wow is to do somthing untill Age of Conan or Warhammer are released, wow is nothing but the same old stuff. No innovation, No originality, wow is nothing but a timewaste unfortunatly...image

• DeiothDeioth Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Hahaha, WoW, great casual player game only until you've hit 60, at which point you've nothing to do.  They could have made this game SO much better, but they catered entirely to the Bnet kiddie crowd and similar mindsets that have taken over a lot of online gaming.  It's as if no one appreciates depth to their games anymore, it's all cool graphics and leet gear and pwning other players.

I could give you a greatly contrasting writeup of WoW as a player who enjoys all aspects of MMOGs.  I enjoyed what raiding I had done, most of my PVP (pre honor system, at any rate), and ejoyed my roleplaying, and guess what?  I don't play.  The game got dreafully boring at level 60 and drama filled the server thanks to pisspoor implemented content.

• ArislanArislan Member Posts: 43
    Well... I am casual too. But I finished playing WoW after 6 month.

I played Ultima Online for 3 years but Steve Wilson played it just 3 days... I would say it is all still a matter of taste.

That so many people are playing WoW is NOT a proove to me that they got a good taste at alll *lough*

• QmireQmire Member Posts: 423

Originally posted by Arislan
    Well... I am casual too. But I finished playing WoW after 6 month.

I played Ultima Online for 3 years but Steve Wilson played it just 3 days... I would say it is all still a matter of taste.

That so many people are playing WoW is NOT a proove to me that they got a good taste at alll *lough*

The real problem with the hatred towards this article is because it's been made by a writer who has little experience to the other games around and showing off a rather classic narrowminded view on things, which just don't fit that understandgly make some folks angry, because would you want to read the local newspaper with articles wrote by people with a quite narrow-minded view and not really knowing what they are talking about?

I mean don't you read the newspaper to read interesting new and funny things, not some complete gibberish, with no connection towards the subjects?

When i read such things i would like to see some insight and what's might be in store for the future, without having some sort "i got 5 dollars to write, happy bunny must buy!".

Steve simply glorified something with an article that might have been nice 2 years ago as a preview but surely not a "2 years later...", I'm really sorry but it failed badly. And the 3 days of UO just kills his creditability by those old school mmorpg'ers, i'm not one myself but having some guy writing articles with more years mmorpg experience than the readers is normally a nice thing because, then he'll have more things to compare with and if he's a quite objective fellah, then it's simply for the better and will seem more true and fair, so you can actually use his views.

It might sound stupid but it's okay for the reader to be narrowminded, as long the article writers aren't that's the reason why readers are readers and not writers after all, right?

• mirkrimmirkrim Member Posts: 69
    I think the only real problem with WoW is how garbage the character customization is.  Everything is set-item-based, so all the best players MUST look the same if they want to remain the best.  It's ridiculous.

• bestiacorpusbestiacorpus Member Posts: 114

nice editorial! 9/10

played and loved wow.

quit a couple of months ago because of new job schedules.  end game raids got boring too.

all i can say

WoW as a DUMB GAME: Good or Bad?

image PERFECT FOR MMO BEGINNERS! dumb enough for stone age folks! VERY EASY!  the environment is alive and RAINBOW COLORS EVERYWHERE!! cartoonish and wrong in so many levels! image

image Vets and Casuals can stay as long as they want without getting bored.

image megaMMOgeeks stay away from this game.  DUMB GAME, STAY AWAY!!!

imagethings to remember as an mmo gamer:

beginners, casuals, and some old mmo gamers don't like the 'PRO' gamers. why? all these 'PRO' gamers have epeens they need to stroke 24/7 and they think they can make a better game... which of course is not gonna happen because the only 2 thing they know are be uber at something someone else made and whine.

If you get bored, chances are, you were not really playing the game.  Let me guess.  You read the forums and saw this massive thread by some geeks about how the people behind the game nerfed this certain class skill/item that according to the local megaGeek is VITAL for your class complete with lots of numbers and computations. if those people actually used their brains trying to figure out the cure for the "can-not-be-cured-illness-of-the-century", the world is gonna be a happier place to live in. too bad they're just immature fcks who do not give a rat's ass. they only care about being uber-- in the internet. hhahahhahah the internet...

someone called you a noob and told you how to spec your talents. again, don't let others play your game.  my alt rogue doesn't dual wield, wears a tuxedo in the battlegrounds, and i don't fckin care image i kill and still look good.

In PvP enabled MMOs like WoW, only pay attention to PvP vids and strats you can start with because PvP can be hella fun if you know what you're doing. gear? my alt rogue can kill naxx raider geared people with pieces of stormshroud and a few items not even epic class. it's all about timing and knowing what to do. start with the cookie cutter builds and then experiment experiment experiment! surprise them by using the most ignored but actually useful skill lol.

uber geeks have uber gear because they deserve shit like that for wasting hours of their life trying to be in the guild to post ' WORLD FIRST! '                 sad to realize i... was once one of these people..... 2years.... hahahaha

don't be an ass and trash talk people who have lesser gear.  shows how insecure you really are.

being famous in a video game is not COOL. you play mostly with geeks. being the #1 geek isn't exactly the best thing in the world.

VIDEO GAMES are not staple for human survival. DO NOT PLAY EVERYDAY! you will NOT DIE IF YOU STOPPED PLAYING for a day or two or even a week or month or a year! zomg basic.

remember that girlfriend you really love but broke up with you because you cancelled dates after dates so you won't lose DKP?  alt+F4, shutdown computer, grow up, get her back, and be a man.

frustrated? nah. you just need rest.

there's an open invitation to rediscover planet earth.  abuse it!

Abusing the planet earth rediscovery this is,

Ken'Shao Lunarwurm[Earth&Beyond] ; theFisherman [AnarchyOnline]; 'Pleasurizer[CityOfHeroes]; DieCupid[GuildWars]; Trucido[WorldofWarcraft]; Fairy[SpaceCowboy]; 'notshowinnamelol' [DAoC, EVEOnline, AC, RYL, RO, Ryzom, ...]  i just noticed my mmo list... and i still have alot of old games to add but i'm stopping because it is not gonna be good for me-- psychologically. now i feel sad.

signing out.

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

I see the same people saying WoW wouldn't last a year are still complaining about a game they have little knowledge of.

The comments about EQ2 are also true, I remember these boards full of praise for EQ2 and how WoW wouldn't last.

Its amazing how WRONG people are on these boards.

WoW may look simple, its not simple, its designed well.

I may have given up WoW (mainly due to the pressure to raid 7 days a week) but I have fond memories of it, as I have of EQ1.

The article completely hits the spot, people with jobs/kids don't have time to invest 7 hours a day in the game and I actually found the reverse of what people say on WoW age. I met a lot more adults than children in this game, only children have time to be "hardcore" gamers, rest of us have lives outside the game.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve