Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It looked cool, but now I know why it only has 30k subscribers

Comments

• @Large@Large Member Posts: 101
    Eve is a joke, stop these stupid topics.

Eve is not a game, eve is not an mmo... eve is a lesson in social economics.  Fun?  hardly.

If you like it.... ok, whatever.
    If you hate it.... you're a gamer.

I agree with the original poster 100%.  Having played EVE multiple times in the past I experienced the same gameplay.  The missions have a very static feel, the economy is bland, the ships are BORING, flying is BORING, mining is BORING, pvp is BORING, and just about every other thing in the game is boring (Especially the non-existant character development).  Sure, it's a fantastic LOOKING game but besides from that it has nothing against any other mmos.

When a gamer looks at EVE what they see wrong:
    -  There is no sense of accomplishment when gaining skill.  Flag the skill and walk away.
    -  No real way of distinguishing yourself from other players.  You look different but that's about it.  You don't have any special items compared to the other person.  You don't have any special skills.  You're all the friggin same if you want it.  Great, you can load your ship with different items.... BORING.
    -  Combat?  laughable.  This type of combat makes turn based strategy games seem exciting.  Tactics?  What tactics are you talking about here?  There are no tactics involved.  Disable the persons ship if you can and kill it.  HOW IS THAT TACTICAL?  The vets of this game need to pull their heads out of their asses.
    -  BOREDOM.  In most games you can find something to keep you entertained.  In this game, you talk to other players to keep yourself entertained.  Let's look at that again.  YOU TALK TO KEEP YOURSELF ENTERTAINED.  There is so little to do besides crappy combat, mining, and marketting.  But you can always find someone lonely and bored (ALWAYS).

There are so many more problems that riddle this software.  I personally don't think it's a game.

Like many have said in this topic.   TO EACH HIS OWN.

P.S.   THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE 100% MINE.  IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM, TOUGH SHIT and NAAAAAAAA NAAAAAAAAAAAA I WIN.

• GianaGiana Member Posts: 26

Agree with @large 100%, IMO EVE is as boring as watching grass grow, but to each his own if you like play it. If you dont like it you still have the right to come here and post that you dont like it, just like the fanbois have the right to defend it.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Giana
       Agree
    with @large 100%, IMO EVE is as boring as watching grass grow, but to
    each his own if you like play it. If you dont like it you still have
    the right to come here and post that you dont like it, just like the
    fanbois have the right to defend it.

And to me
    WoW is about as fun as smashing my head into a brick wall repeatedly
    before poking my eyes out with a flimsy plastic fork. I'll take human
    interaction over generic no-challenge mobs any day.

• GianaGiana Member Posts: 26
     I didnt say anything about WOW at all in my post, why would you qoute me with a WOW comment? I dont like WOW at all either, so are all people that dislike EVE now WOW fanbois?
  • RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Originally posted by @Large

-  There is no sense of accomplishment when gaining skill.  Flag the skill and walk away.
    -  No real way of distinguishing yourself from other players.  You look different but that's about it.  You don't have any special items compared to the other person.  You don't have any special skills.  You're all the friggin same if you want it.  Great, you can load your ship with different items.... BORING.

I'm so sorry you cant grind yourself m4d l33t skill3z in EVE. What kind of person would design a game without the mandatory, soul-crushing grind? Its AGAINST ALL LOGIC AND REASON AS A GAMER. EVE would be much better if you had to level skills by grinding mobs 4 xp n l3wtz, then going LOL LVL 57? I R LVL 70 U NUB, DIEDIEDIE ONE HIT KO LOLOLOL.

Seriously, get over yourselves. You dont like EVE, I probably dont like whatever shitty MMOG you play (given that I hate mandatory grind to get to PvP, and thats every game in the MMOG market except EVE). Youre not special and nobody really cares what you think. Go play one of the MMOGs which fits your ideal as a 'gamer', since thats pretty much every other MMOG on the market.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by RollinDutch

I'm so sorry you cant grind yourself m4d l33t skill3z in EVE. What kind of person would design a game without the mandatory, soul-crushing grind? Its AGAINST ALL LOGIC AND REASON AS A GAMER. EVE would be much better if you had to level skills by grinding mobs 4 xp n l3wtz, then going LOL LVL 57? I R LVL 70 U NUB, DIEDIEDIE ONE HIT KO LOLOLOL.

Seriously, get over yourselves. You dont like EVE, I probably dont like whatever shitty MMOG you play (given that I hate mandatory grind to get to PvP, and thats every game in the MMOG market except EVE). Youre not special and nobody really cares what you think. Go play one of the MMOGs which fits your ideal as a 'gamer', since thats pretty much every other MMOG on the market.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

- There is no sense of accomplishment when gaining skill. Flag the skill and walk away.
    So there's somehow a sense of accomplishment when you grind mobs/quests, level up, then talk to a skill trainer to learn a new skill?

- No real way of distinguishing yourself from other players. You look different but that's about it. You don't have any special items compared to the other person. You don't have any special skills. You're all the friggin same if you want it. Great, you can load your ship with different items.... BORING.
    Everybody knows that in other MMORPGs, everybody who hits the level cap grinds for the same equipment. Look at all the guides out there that tell you exactly which items to get in order to maximize your character.

- Combat? laughable. This type of combat makes turn based strategy games seem exciting. Tactics? What tactics are you talking about here? There are no tactics involved. Disable the persons ship if you can and kill it. HOW IS THAT TACTICAL? The vets of this game need to pull their heads out of their asses.
    Spoken like a true newbie who doesn't understand the intricacies of the combat system. Likewise, I can say that combat in other MMORPGs is mashing numbers in the same exact order each time.

- BOREDOM. In most games you can find something to keep you entertained. In this game, you talk to other players to keep yourself entertained. Let's look at that again. YOU TALK TO KEEP YOURSELF ENTERTAINED. There is so little to do besides crappy combat, mining, and marketting. But you can always find someone lonely and bored (ALWAYS).
    Now you're just getting ridiculous, like there's anything else to do in other MMORPGs besides combat, tradeskills, and trading. And you can ALWAYS find someone who's lonely and bored in ANY MMORPG.
  • GallaidGallaid Member Posts: 118
    OK this game is PvP. Thats the point. The misson running and shit is not worth it. Yes npcing or ratting is not nearly as fun as doing it in wow. but pvp is the game. go out hunt pirates or be a pirate black and white. then there the gray of mercs. the problem that you had was misson running. that is not up to par in my opion run the same misson over and over again until you get to next lvl is not fun to me. but going out and killing the misson runners is fun. we all love pvp in the world of eve. even tho there no securty net for people that suck at it, and i sucked for a while until i got the hang of it. i am happy ever time i see some one join eve becasue even tho they want to kill me they fofill a role in the game. So go back to it and kill people. join a corp pirate or anti or merc and have at it. just watch out for me

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

-  BOREDOM.  In most games you can find something to keep you entertained.  In this game, you talk to other players to keep yourself entertained.  Let's look at that again.  YOU TALK TO KEEP YOURSELF ENTERTAINED.  There is so little to do besides crappy combat, mining, and marketting.  But you can always find someone lonely and bored (ALWAYS).

This kind of caught my eye.  What exactly do people do when they're waiting to group in every single other MMO out there?  They sit around bored and talk.  What do they do when they're waiting for their power or health or mana to refill?  They sit around bored and talk.  What do you do when you're walking from place to place constantly having to press 'w' to keep going or occasionally turning with the autorun key pressed?  You sit around bored, and talk.

I can understand thinking it's boring and not liking it, but don't complain about something that's in every other MMOG that exists.  And in some cases more so.  Playing EQ2 or WoW I often waited hours to get a group together.  Hours doing nothing but sitting around and talking.  At least in EVE I can be productive in the downtimes.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by DemonknightI  

I still troll around...RETARD... like I said moron

Pathetic attention whore. You are a joke.

Was fun... die soon.   I want to kick your ass... seriously, where do you live?  Give me your address and home phone so I can come and stomp the shit out of you.

You need some pussy!

By the way... You're also a moron.

TROLL... god i hate people like you... i would love to put my foot so far up your ass.

It's not your type of game.... SO WHAT... go cry elsewhere... you sickening little bastards...you pathetic excuses for life

I hate you... I hate you so much...
    You are the type of people that I hope I never meet in person because your logic is absolutely insane.  I would kill you.

are you retarded?

p.s. The NGE is great and I've been playing since beta. GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF ONE GAME THAT IS STILL MORE ADVANCED THAN SWG (don't include EVE... EVE makes their game seem advanced when in actuallity it's extremely simple in design)

Excerpts from posts by the OP.

'nuff said.

He should be banned and removed from accessing MMORPG.COM for his hatred expressed towartds others and threats to inflict bodily harm.

p.s. and this is the target audience for Star Wars Galaxies: New Game Experiance.

• twiztid19twiztid19 Member Posts: 44

Ive been playing for about 1 1/2 years and i woop so many people given they got the game on released or not.. Its all about skill and how you use your skills to your best advantage basically.

I am a fleet commander in Ascendant frontier.. and i have a blast doing it. With almost any game its how you use what you have and your own playing style. Even the smallest ship can be effective.

• AkunaiAkunai Member Posts: 138

It's definately strange that this game is number one, for no other reason than it's such a niche game.  It would be hard to frequent this site without trying out EVE, so I did a while ago and simply didn't like it.  I didn't feel the need to make a thread telling everyone why(a hint is in my sig), but I did feel the need to say something here since I read this whole thread.

A few things caught my eye.  Like nobody refuting that the game is filled with time sinks, some might say more than the fair share.  Another thing would be that you won't have fun PvPing if you try to go it solo from the start.

Now if an upcoming game said that they were planning to have the time sinks, afk skillings, forced grouping/guilding, and other negatives mentioned in this thread, people would be screaming "vaporware".  With those kinds of negatives, I'm pretty sure this game wouldn't be as popular without it's base pushing it on these forums and elsewhere.  Just looking at games like Vanguard, Warhammer, and AoC, this community bashes them for even the notion of having those same negatives.

I have no doubt that this game is fun for their base, but #1 overall?  By definition a niche game can't be the best overall, and I think we're all agreed that EVE is a niche game.

P.S.  I wish people would stop saying if you don't like X game, you aren't intelligent enough for it so go back to Y game.  These are games people, not algorithms.  Games have learning curves, some steeper than others, but none of them require much more than a 6th grade education.  If you feel smart playing your current game though, well good for you.

• DemonknightIDemonknightI Member Posts: 42
    Still #1 thread here. image

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Still #1 thread here. image

Yea probably has something to do with a certain DemonknightI reposting in this thread image

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Originally posted by Akunai

A few things caught my eye.  Like nobody refuting that the game is
    filled with time sinks, some might say more than the fair share. 
    Another thing would be that you won't have fun PvPing if you try to go
    it solo from the start.

EVE's time sinks are optional. You dont HAVE to do anything other then PvP to be competitive in PvP. Given that EVE's grind is optional and few-to-no other MMOGs have grinds which arent mandatory (or in the case of many MMOGs, the game is nothing but grind). I'd say EVE is one of the least grindy games on the market. (Yes, I know that the skill system infuriates some people, and I'd like to remind those people that I dont care for them or their stupid opinions).

Originally posted by Akunai

P.S.  I wish people would stop saying if you don't like X game, you aren't intelligent enough for it so go back to Y game.  These are games people, not algorithms.  Games have learning curves, some steeper than others, but none of them require much more than a 6th grade education.  If you feel smart playing your current game though, well good for you.

I think most of the MMOG market consists of 12-year-olds reading on a 3rd grade level, thanks to their obsession, or people trying to impersonate 12-year-olds reading on a 3rd grade level. I will continue to say theyre not smart enough for my game, until the point my game is dumbed down enough so that they are.

Then I will quit.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I think this is funny..

The OP's point was busted within the first response.  How EvE only has 30k subscribers and wont have any more then that because.. yada yada.  Fact being the game has 300k subscribers, pretty much makes the OP's point blown out of the water

and here it is 15 pages later. 

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • lChaosllChaosl Member Posts: 40

Am I bitter?  Hell yes I am. 

I'm not pissed I lost my ship

• powellporkpowellpork Member Posts: 2

Id like to say a few things here to the new people playing or thinking about playing EVE.

I have been playing for over 3 years, I am a Vet. I have 46 mil skill points and billions of ISK. If i step foot into a 0.4 system or lower guess what happens to me? I get PWND by a bunch of noobs. Its all about working together. the only way i get to go to low sec is if i am in a group or am willing to risk the loss of my ship. Sure there are corps with alot of vets in it, there is also a noob corp of over 700 people. you get 700 people shooting something, i dont care how many skill points that pesron has, they are toast. I am into the market aspect and building of ships/mods. I dont like pvp much so i stay away from it. You will never loose a ship if you dont accept gang invites from people you dont know, or go into 0.4 or less. Its not a free for all on noobs like i have seen people say. It is also not just a pvp game like i see people say. If you are over the age of 20ish you may like it, it is for older people. If it is pvp you are looking for, you can do it from day 1. I can only imagine the responces this may get. what do i like about it you say? well to start i am not forced to gather 200 mushrooms to lvl up. I am not forced to do missions at all if i dont want to. I am not forced to do PVP if i dont want to. I can avoid the missions and also the pvp if i like. Or i can do any one at any time i wish. There is so much to say and do in this game i dont even know where to start. I will argue any comment about how EVE is boring or too slow. I guarantee if you have something you dont like about it, there is a way around it. Nothing is forced on you in EVE, besides paying attention to what you are doing and be smart. The biggest rush i have ever had from ANY game, online or not, is from EVE. I have never had my voice so shakey that i couldnt talk, or my hands sweating and shaking so bad thats its hard to type from any game besides EVE. This is why i stay away from pvp in EVE, so i dont have a heart attack. I save my isk up until i have a bunch of ships i dont mind loosing and then join a 0.0 corp and have some fun. Now i could have alot more money if i stayed in 0.0 and pvp, but i suck at pvp and loose alot of ships, yes, i will admit it. I SUCK AT PVP IN EVE. But, still love it to death. Even though i loose everything i take into pvp, its such a rush, and so damn fun that i cant stop. I am a carebear at heart. I do missions for a while, Mine for a bit, hunt npc's,  Build up a good pile of ISK and ships. I do this solo or in a group. whatever i feel like at the time. As for the time it takes to lvl up. Doesnt matter on your skill points, all that matters is where you have put those points and what ship you are in. As to the guy who played for 2 months and couldnt get into any pvp, you are just not looking. Did you even try to join a pvp corp? Its not something you just get thrown into. you need to put a app into a corp and have some friends to play with. I just cant, in no way, express how great EVE is. Again, if you dont get sucked into it in your first week, you are too young to be playing EVE, have the attention span of a rock, or are on crack and need to slow you mind and be able to understand what is gong on. that is all... for now.

EVE IS #1 wOOt!!

Originally posted by Rayx0r
    I think this is funny.. The OP's point was busted within the first response.  How EvE only has 30k subscribers and wont have any more then that because.. yada yada.  Fact being the game has 300k subscribers, pretty much makes the OP's point blown out of the water and here it is 15 pages later. 
    Prove it.  I've never once seen the counter go over 20k.  Some fanboi posted a link to a conversation with a developer that said 150k and I know that's stretching it.  Most likely he's taking all the accounts of people who tried this game and then canceled.

Originally posted by lChaosl
    Am I bitter?  Hell yes I am. 
    I'm not pissed I lost my ship

I'm bitter I played this game and wasted time.  I don't care that I lost my ship, that's not what made me dislike the game. 

The Eve fanbois are really stretching it now when they're taking my quotes out of context just for a pathetic flame attempt.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

We should stop this guy from posting by finding his mothers email address and send her links to his posts. I'm certain the phone line to the basement would be cut within one day, and he'd have to apply for his own credit card after that!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

I think this is funny.. The OP's point was busted within the first response. How EvE only has 30k subscribers and wont have any more then that because.. yada yada. Fact being the game has 300k subscribers, pretty much makes the OP's point blown out of the water and here it is 15 pages later.
    Prove it. I've never once seen the counter go over 20k. Some fanboi posted a link to a conversation with a developer that said 150k and I know that's stretching it. Most likely he's taking all the accounts of people who tried this game and then canceled.

It doesn't have 300k it has 150k (which is still A LOT more than 30k). Avg in the mmorpg industry is that 20-25% of the total subscribers to be logged in at peak hour which translates perfectly for the eve numbers 30k * 5 = 150k

This good enough proof for you? Was shown during the keynote speech by the CCP CEO Hilmar V. Petursson at the fanfest in Reykjavik Iceland held last week.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Mcgreag

I think this is funny.. The OP's point was busted within the first response. How EvE only has 30k subscribers and wont have any more then that because.. yada yada. Fact being the game has 300k subscribers, pretty much makes the OP's point blown out of the water and here it is 15 pages later.
    Prove it. I've never once seen the counter go over 20k. Some fanboi posted a link to a conversation with a developer that said 150k and I know that's stretching it. Most likely he's taking all the accounts of people who tried this game and then canceled.

It doesn't have 300k it has 150k (which is still A LOT more than 30k). Avg in the mmorpg industry is that 20-25% of the total subscribers to be logged in at peak hour which translates perfectly for the eve numbers 30k * 5 = 150k

This good enough proof for you? Was shown during the keynote speech by the CCP CEO Hilmar V. Petursson at the fanfest in Reykjavik Iceland held last week.

So 145k subs w/o trials
    165k accounts playing the game when trials are counted in.

I'd say that's pretty much what the Dev was quoted as saying "Approximately 150,000 subscribers".

Note: A "subscriber" is someone who's account is currently active.  So there goes your theory DemonKnight.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• RihahnRihahn Member Posts: 146

I've been playing for a few weeks now and I'm loving it. Though, granted, I play with folks from work who all started at about the same time, and we primarily mine/haul right now as we build up the capital for bigger operations.

Basically, the draw for myself is that Eve requires a bit more thought than something like WoW (which I played since beta) and the skill system appeals to me as I have a job. Working for a living effectively removes you from competitive MMO play as the entire genere is powered by 'time sinks'.

WoW changes this a bit, for the worse in my opinion, by drastically shortening the time to endgame. Now we have several million ADD suffering kids all clamoring that an MMO should be 'beatable' over a summer vacation of hot pockets and no sleep.

But, yeah, over the last three weeks I've been blown up by gate campers who sit at 150+ KM and rain death on my 90m/s hauler with absolutely no worries of retaliation because my best range is a third of that, blown up by PC pirates, blown up by NPC pirates, and even blown up by sentry guns (by accident - dont leave your ECM gear running when gating to high-sec space) But! I'm still having fun because half the game is figuring out how to get around these problems...

As of this morning I have over 140 million ISK, 4 ships, 8 regular routes for hauling with complete insta-bookmarks. My corp is now holding over 700 million ISK, 10 offices, several established trade routes, and a very lucrative deal with another more combat-oriented corp who supplies the muscle we need in low-sec space - they clear the area and call us in. We mine the place dry, haul out the ore, refine, and they make 50%...

They used to blow us up, but found they make more money helping us out.

Just have to think through the problem. :)

• YsharrosYsharros Member Posts: 87

Agreed, Rihahn. My husband and I have just passed the 5 week mark and are having fun in totally different ways - I play the trader game, he kills stuff.

Someone needs to explain to demonboy that subscribers is not equal to number of people currently online. If he can grasp that, maybe this discussion will start to be fruitful. (I'm an optimist.) Let's see if I can help. If 100 people own a TV set but only 35 have it turned on at a given time, then you have 100 subscribers and 35 current users. That doesn't mean only 35 people own a TV set. Think you can grasp that, DK?

The game is rated #1 here on the site (read carefully now) because people who love the game have cared enough to rate it that highly. It's a voting system and, really, has very little to do with the reality of how good or bad a game may be (welcome to real life politics ;)). Aside from the fact that "good" and "bad" are subjective judgements... But I have the impression I'm trying to explain "relative" and "subjective" to teenagers, the one group that doesn't understand such concepts till they get a bit older.

Gah, I'm feeding a troll. I'll lose an arm for sure! image