Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A New Forum Proposal to MMORPG.com

This morning as I was reading the latest anti-$OE news that's fit for virtual print, I found yet another pro-NGE troll in this forum attacking an anti-NGE troll.  Who is who is unimportant for the subject I'd like to discuss - the point is this: I can come into this forum at almost any time and still find the pro- and anti-NGE forces engaged in 3rd grade playground-quality verbal PvP (I even believe someone was tea-bagged today).  As I understand the reasons for which we were separated in the first place, the pro-NGE noobies were feeling unwelcomed and harassed by the anti-NGE vets, and thus was a new forum arrangement born, one in which both groups are free to go into the other and express their opinions (which itself obviates the need for seperate forums but nonetheless happened) all per the MMORPG.com Rules of Conduct.  The consequences of the separation, as I have observed it, is that pro-NGE kiddies now come into the Veteran Refuge and flame the vets, and the MMORPG.com staff have taken little or no visible action to address this.  In essence, the pro-NGE kiddies have gone from being the perceived victims to being the perceived victimizers (ooooh, you're legitimized now!!).  While I personally don't feel threatened or such and I know most of us don't, if we're going to argue with each other, call one another names, and rake our foe with our razor-sharp wit (for those of us who actually possess such) let's just do it in one forum and not two - cross-forum sparing is boring and stupid.  Further, if the RoC is to be generally ignored by the forum cops, then please take references to it out of the relevant forum descriptions.

I can, at almost any time, visit either forum and witness those same RoCs being violated (often grossly so), and this is the problem I am perceiving and would like to discuss.

MMORPG.com staff have several times stated very clearly that they have no desire to police these forums and that should they do so it would result in a much more oppressive and restrictive atmosphere, we'd all hate it, go home and cry to our spouses (if you're an anti-NGE vet) or your mommies (if you're a pro-NGE kiddie).  I can, to a degree, understand this rationale although I do believe that since they created and maintain these forums that MMORPG.com are in some manner responsible for the policing of them or the lack thereof.  I can only assume we're all generally quite a pain in the backside for anyone with a forum to deal with, $OE sure seems to think so.

The solution, as I see it, is simple and elegant, and I actually am suggesting this (sarcasm is not on) : merge the two forums and then get some hapless forum wannabes to police them for MMORPG.com for free, thus giving us one big battleground instead of one large one and one very small one, and best of all MMORPG.com forum cops can then patrol only the real problem forums - like the CoX or Roma Victor forums - you know, the ones that get maybe 10 total new posts per day (Ok, I have never actually visited the Roma Victor forums, so if they're actually a happening place, forgive me and move along).  There are lots of posters who would enjoy the feeling of ultimate forum authority and put up those lovely red "POST DELETED" stamps upon the scribed thoughts of their favorite twit.  I believe there is no shortage of people who would willing undertake this heavy but oh so necessary burden.  I myself have an individual I'd like to put on permanent /ignore, but this forum unforunately lacks such a patently useful feature.  The real question is who should be given this responsibility.  Clearly, it should be a long-time forum jockey who has, through their behavior, demonstrated a high degree of fairness, toleration, and moderation, possesses good judgement on exactly how far over the line is too much, and can spell and use grammar proficiently.  For example, while I appreciate JestorRodo and I myself would certainly not mind him having such authority as I have described, I unfortunately doubt he's the kind of person MMORPG.com would choose.  Obraik is the only pro-NGE person I would even consider (I know so few, I do tend to avoid that forum for obvious reasons), but I believe his (IMHO) gross and excessive pro-NGE propoganda makes him a similarly bad choice.  I should point out that I am not seeking this position myself - first, I am highly opinionated (by the way, I'm right and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong) and second, I am visiting this forum less and less (the reasons for that are not something I will delve into here), and third, there is at least one individual who would be perma-banned by me for reasons that may not be wholly appropriate, and thus I would be a very, very, very poor choice.

My questions to all of you are:

1.)  How many would agree and why, or disagree and why? 

2.)  I fundamentally believe the forum splitting has completely and totally failed to fix the perceived problems that led to the split in the first place, and has thus proven the split to have been futile.  What fix(es) would you suggest? (NOTE:  I call the problems "perceived" because I still question if they were serious enough to warrant the splitting of forums in the first place).

3.)  Please recommend one pro-NGE fanbo......., er, person, as well as one of the legion of sane, rational, and clearly right-thinking anti-NGE vets, each of whom you feel would be a good representative for their respective perspective.  Please note: this question is purely fanciful, I really doubt that at this time the MMORPG.com folks really care who we'd choose, I just thought it was a fun question to include.  I would, for the pro-NGE side, choose Fadeus (who ultimately led me to this thought, when I read Obraik's post and his own blog regarding his absence from these forums) and for the anti-NGE I would choose tillamook or Xcathdra (I'd also really like to pick Shayde or Wildcat, but I somehow doubt they'd pass MMORPG.com forum cop scrutiny).

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
Now Playing: World of Warcrack
Forum Terrorist

Comments

• kissodeathkissodeath Member Posts: 102

NGE'ers are hard for me to take seriously, I sometimes try to  visualize what they look like and how they can type and flip a burger at the time. But you see its that very skill that gives them the edge.

That and I start to think about what their parents musta done to them as kids and start to pity em.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by kissodeath

NGE'ers are hard for me to take seriously, I sometimes try to  visualize what they look like and how they can type and flip a burger at the time. But you see its that very skill that gives them the edge.

That and I start to think about what their parents musta done to them as kids and start to pity em.

Agreed.   It is very hard for me to take them serious as well.   Right off the top , logic and common sense come into play and I have to wonder w t f is going on with most of them.

It would be one thing if it was not a failure and I could be proved wrong.   However, this is not the case... in fact it's quite the Opposite.

I think it is safe to say that when the president of the company that makes a product calls it a "mistake" I will take that as a warning and also some insight on the quality or level of working product you get from them.

No matter what, based on people, reviews, reports, awards, sales, promotions...I think it is safe to say that it does not take some genius to figure out what the NGE is.   Sorry, I may give to much credit but I just do.

Any moron can log in and go server hopping and see just how successful it is.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Exactly.

To me the opinion of someone who likes the nge is about as valid as a restraunt critic who likes to eat his own feces.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    Splitting the forums was an obvious mistake, a P.R. black eye for MMORPG's supposed objectivity, and just a rollback begging to happen.

Admit the mistake, merge the forums, bring back General.

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    Honestly, for all intents and purposes the refugee forum has become the old general forum.  Have you noticed how few posts there are on the nge forum?   Most of them still come over here to flame, and we still discuss what goes on with the current game here.  

At least letting them have their wading pool forum over there, keeps some of the more mundane threads about how do I make an uber killer glow bat from being made over here.   In all seriousness, it was pretty hard for anyone who wanted to play that god-forsaken mess of code to get a straight answer to a question in the old general forum.   Though I must admit the old general forum was more fun.   /shrug     image

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• kissodeathkissodeath Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by iskareot

Agreed.   It is very hard for me to take them serious as well.   Right off the top , logic and common sense come into play and I have to wonder w t f is going on with most of them.

It would be one thing if it was not a failure and I could be proved wrong.   However, this is not the case... in fact it's quite the Opposite.

I think it is safe to say that when the president of the company that makes a product calls it a "mistake" I will take that as a warning and also some insight on the quality or level of working product you get from them.

No matter what, based on people, reviews, reports, awards, sales, promotions...I think it is safe to say that it does not take some genius to figure out what the NGE is.   Sorry, I may give to much credit but I just do.

Any moron can log in and go server hopping and see just how successful it is.

Although im known to keep my Smed comment level dial set to .5, he did show he had a pair with that comment.

BUT

Im still wonder if he'll ever dig em out, I mean winters coming and he may need a surgical procedure to recover em if they get sucked up any futher........

maybe we should start a foundation

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    Oh come on now guys...

... having multiple forums is "Star Warsy" and "Iconic"!!!

C

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961

Originally posted by MrArchy

is that pro-NGE kiddies now come into the Veteran Refuge and flame the vets, and the MMORPG.com staff have taken little or no visible action to address this. 
     Further, if the RoC is to be generally ignored by the forum cops, then please take references to it out of the relevant forum descriptions.
    I can, at almost any time, visit either forum and witness those same RoCs being violated
    MMORPG.com staff have several times stated very clearly that they have no desire to police these forums

Ok firstly the Vet forum is quite simply that, for Veterans. As stated in the forum description "A place for disgruntled former and current SWG players to talk about the game that was and the game that now is". It’s not a pro/anti NGE/CU forum specifically. The reason for the split is so that people who currently play the game can discuss it without having to constantly read crap from people regarding SOE and the NGE/CU. It is just a game after all. 

The RoC is still enforced in the Vet forum. As stated it is more strictly enforced in the Current forum. We receive a lot of reports which we don't think violate our RoC and some people may perceive this to be us not modding the forums just because they have a different view of right and wrong. I would use the example of this thread being reported for trolling.... I don't think so. At the end of the day if you see a post which you think violates the RoC, report it. We will then see if we think it violates the RoC.

As for us saying we "have no desire to police these forums" I'd really like to see where you got that from. I cannot recall any mod stating that.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• MMO_ManMMO_Man Member Posts: 666

Originally posted by ParaTrooper
     is that pro-NGE kiddies now come into the Veteran Refuge and flame the vets, and the MMORPG.com staff have taken little or no visible action to address this.   Further, if the RoC is to be generally ignored by the forum cops, then please take references to it out of the relevant forum descriptions. I can, at almost any time, visit either forum and witness those same RoCs being violated MMORPG.com staff have several times stated very clearly that they have no desire to police these forums

Ok firstly the Vet forum is quite simply that, for Veterans. As stated in the forum description "A place for disgruntled former and current SWG players to talk about the game that was and the game that now is". It’s not a pro/anti NGE/CU forum specifically. The reason for the split is so that people who currently play the game can discuss it without having to constantly read crap from people regarding SOE and the NGE/CU. It is just a game after all. 

The RoC is still enforced in the Vet forum. As stated it is more strictly enforced in the Current forum. We receive a lot of reports which we don't think violate our RoC and some people may perceive this to be us not modding the forums just because they have a different view of right and wrong. I would use the example of this thread being reported for trolling.... I don't think so. At the end of the day if you see a post which you think violates the RoC, report it. We will then see if we think it violates the RoC.

As for us saying we "have no desire to police these forums" I'd really like to see where you got that from. I cannot recall any mod stating that.

So our opinions are crap? I guess the truth is out now, anyone who is anti SOE/NGE just posts crap.image

I sleep with a pillow under my gun.

• stevesmithjrstevesmithjr Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by KzinKiller
    Splitting the forums was an obvious mistake, a P.R. black eye for MMORPG's supposed objectivity, and just a rollback begging to happen.

Admit the mistake, merge the forums, bring back General.

lol!

Beat me to it.

Classic SWG > CUNGE

• MorriganeMorrigane Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by MMO_Man

is that pro-NGE kiddies now come into the Veteran Refuge and flame the vets, and the MMORPG.com staff have taken little or no visible action to address this.   Further, if the RoC is to be generally ignored by the forum cops, then please take references to it out of the relevant forum descriptions. I can, at almost any time, visit either forum and witness those same RoCs being violated MMORPG.com staff have several times stated very clearly that they have no desire to police these forums

So our opinions are crap? I guess the truth is out now, anyone who is anti SOE/NGE just posts crap.image

You caught that too huh? Someone's Freudian slip is showing.

So'fe Sose, Naritus, SWG- Forcibly Retired
    Friends don't let friends SWG...

• ShadowLordsShadowLords Member Posts: 186

My questions to all of you are:
    1.)  How many would agree and why, or disagree and why?  Strongly disagree with combining forums again. Explaination below
    2.)  I fundamentally believe the forum splitting has completely and totally failed to fix the perceived problems that led to the split in the first place, and has thus proven the split to have been futile.  What fix(es) would you suggest? (NOTE:  I call the problems "perceived" because I still question if they were serious enough to warrant the splitting of forums in the first place).
    3.)  Please recommend one pro-NGE fanbo......., er, person, as well as one of the legion of sane, rational, and clearly right-thinking anti-NGE vets, each of whom you feel would be a good representative for their respective perspective.  Please note: this question is purely fanciful, I really doubt that at this time the MMORPG.com folks really care who we'd choose, I just thought it was a fun question to include.  I would, for the pro-NGE side, choose Fadeus (who ultimately led me to this thought, when I read Obraik's post and his own blog regarding his absence from these forums) and for the anti-NGE I would choose tillamook or Xcathdra (I'd also really like to pick Shayde or Wildcat, but I somehow doubt they'd pass MMORPG.com forum cop scrutiny).

This is the most ridiculas idea i have seen on these forums. To think for ONE minute that anyone here is mature enough to handle a responsibility that isn't theirs to begin with is stupid. There is not one single poster here that wouldn't be bias. This site belongs to MMORPG.com and it's employees (not sure if MMORPG.com is actually a full time business or not ... but I am assuming it is). They have a vested interest in this site aside from the forums. The people who post here do NOT have any vested interest in MMORPG.com aside from using its forums.

The REAL problem here is that there are SOME pro and anti NGErs do not respect each others opinions or feelings. BOTH feel that THEY are right and the other is wrong. Here lyeth the problem.

Personally I have not posted in the "Current" forum. I have only ventured in there maybe twice, but never posted there. Why? Because it is their forum and I REFUSE to get caught up in some childish flame war over there.

UNfortunately, some proNGErs don't seem to feel the same way. I have seen some proNGErs post in the refugee forums on a constant basis. They have posted anywhere from one sentence responses to paragraphs on how we are wrong, how we need to let go and get a life, how we had our game and now they have "their" game, they dont care that we spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars and invested thousands of hours playing SWG. they dont care .... period. And it shows when ever they post in the Refugee forum.

There are those proNGErs that NEVER, EVER agree with anything that anyone posts in the Refugee forums. NEVER. This person in particular (that I am thinking of) is ALWAYS disagreeing with whatever anyone has to say. Well it gets old ... real old. Even politicians on occasion find common ground to agree on. But NOT this proNGEr that I am thinking of.

Anyways, this is the problem. It boils down to respect, maturity, ones own ability to allow someone their opinion (even if it is different than yours) and having enough of an open mind to admit it when someone has a valid point.

Originally posted by Morrigane

Originally posted by MMO_Man

It’s not a pro/anti NGE/CU forum specifically. The reason for the split is so that people who currently play the game can discuss it without having to constantly read crap from people regarding SOE and the NGE/CU. It is just a game after all. 

It turns out that I have an opinion as well (note the statement in my signature). Slowly moulded over time having read the same things over and over again.

Could everyone also please read the new sticky thread in the Vet forum named "read before you post".

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.

• acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405

NGE'ers are hard for me to take seriously, I sometimes try to  visualize what they look like and how they can type and flip a burger at the time. But you see its that very skill that gives them the edge.   That and I start to think about what their parents musta done to them as kids and start to pity em.
    ROFL

/agree 100%

• MorriganeMorrigane Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Morrigane Originally posted by MMO_Man
    Originally posted by ParaTrooper It’s not a pro/anti NGE/CU forum specifically. The reason for the split is so that people who currently play the game can discuss it without having to constantly read crap from people regarding SOE and the NGE/CU. It is just a game after all. 

It turns out that I have an opinion as well (note the statement in my signature). Slowly moulded over time having read the same things over and over again. Could everyone also please read the new sticky thread in the Vet forum named "read before you post".

I'm sorry Paratrooper, here I was thinking moderators were supposed to be fair and unbiased. /slap self
    Silly me, I beg your pardon. I won't make that mistake again.

So'fe Sose, Naritus, SWG- Forcibly Retired
    Friends don't let friends SWG...

Originally posted by Morrigane

I'm sorry Paratrooper, here I was thinking moderators were supposed to be fair and unbiased. /slap self
    Silly me, I beg your pardon. I won't make that mistake again.

I beleive I am very fair and unbiased and more so that what I've seen from some other mods. As far as SWG goes and my opinion, I have no interest at all in SWG and therefore clearly see all the CC threads and posts as well as people breaking the Rules of Conduct. Thats probably a main reason why members known on the SWG forum shouldn't mod them. If I was biased and unfair perhaps I would have done something about this thread as I mentioned in a previous post you may or may not have read.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
      Ok then Paratrooper, That explains alot , at least for me .   

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516
    Points for honesty, ParaTrooper. It does make sense when you put it that way, even though I still disagree with the split forums in the first place.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by ShadowLords

The REAL problem here is that there are SOME pro and anti NGErs do not respect each others opinions or feelings. BOTH feel that THEY are right and the other is wrong. Here lyeth the problem.

This is not a problem...  I will never respect anyone or their opinions if they are pro-nge.  Very simply if you like the nge then you are a "tard" ---plain and simple.

• ShadowLordsShadowLords Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by Tagurit

This is not a problem...  I will never respect anyone or their opinions if they are pro-nge.  Very simply if you like the nge then you are a "tard" ---plain and simple.

Thank you for making my point.
  • TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by Tagurit

Thank you for making my point.

No problem.  I will give you your point.  You are also correct in that this debate will always be a problem.  I for one do not care what anyone else wants in regard to this game nor do I respect anyone's opinion regarding this game unless it matches mine exactly.

It is no apology---don't get me wrong.  I am a selfish gamer and simply want exactly my idea of what swg SHOULD HAVE been.  If I do not get it then I will not be playing any sub-standard version just to do it.

This game/forum is not some twisted democracy.  I am not going to compromise with people or even respect their opinions.