Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Politics

DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

I'm interested in finding a game where politics and diplomacy play a key role amongst an overall "conquer the world" basis.

Lineage 2 sparked my interest but as I read more about the game, I become less interested in playing. It seems like the only clan based conflict will revolve around a few castles (2-6 castles at release per server) that can only be attacked every 2 weeks. Past that, there doesn't seem to be much political strife involved. I'd prefer a game like Shadowbane seemingly intended to accomplish but with better balance and less bugs/exploits. If L2 doesn't fit this description, is anyone beta testing a game that does and can give positive feedback on that game? I know games such as Wish, DE, and D&L center around pvp but I'd like to know how it actually plays out.

And is the PvP in L2 similar to DAoC in that you need to be level 50 maxed out in everything to accomplish anything or is it worthwhile for lower levels to participate in clan wars?

Thanks!

Comments

• RaptorStormRaptorStorm Member Posts: 312

As far as L2 is considered, you would have to be a clan leader or very close to your clan leader to affect the politics of the world. The clan leader, while controlling the castle, can govern the surrounding area. This includes raising or lowering taxes on all the local vendors, changing the orders giving to all the town guards (to various things), ect.

As far as comparing it to SB, you have to compare some other things first.

Mainly the companies definition of PvP.

NCsoft's definition of PvP:
    To fight another player in consensual combat, Player versus Player, Group versus Group, or Clan versus Clan. Battling a player outside of this consensual realm carries with it extreme penalties and the only benefit of "killing someone" (no loot or XP gained). Classes are very well balanced and clans have a limit to the number of members, so consensual combat is a balanced as possible.

Ubisoft's definition of PvP:
    To fight another player whether the other player wants to or not, FFA, Free for All. Killing unsuspecting people typically ensures 100% success and rewards the winner with what ever loot they have in their inventory, thus benefiting large groups to go after smaller groups. Classes where not well balanced and clans had no size limit.

So, for some part L2 has a lot more politics then SB does/did. Meaning that sense L2 has a clan limit, it would benefit a clan leader greatly to have good allies to help keep control of a castle. The clan leader must be certain they are good allies because once the battle for the castle has begun, there is nothing stopping the "allied clan" from breaking allegiance and taking over the castle them selves (very easily if the other clan isn't expecting it).

Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.
    -Raptor

Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.
    -Raptor