Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth coming back

i played dark age up until  the expansion where you could own horses and the champion weapons came out (i forgot what it was called) and i was thinking about starting up again.  Is it worth coming back to DAoC at this point or should i just wait for something new.  BTW i was a lvl 49 Minstrel on the PvP server and a 30 something heretic on one of the classic servers...

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    I would not bother with the PvP server unless that really is your thing.  I am not sure when you started or why you left so it is hard to say if you should come back or not because I do not know why you left.

In any case, there are only 1 or 2 new games worth even thinking of that are coming out.  You will need to wait at least a year.  So the question is, would you rather be playing DAOC now, or do you not want to play an mmorpg for 12-18 months?

• Greyjoy13Greyjoy13 Member Posts: 3

I left the pvp server to play on a classic server because everyone started over, which was pretty sick.  Then i just didnt have time for a while so i didnt feel like paying for it, now that i have some time again i wanted to start playing again.  How are the other servers now though they worth coming back for?

• pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 14
    Gareth on Classic is usually pretty full - still feels like a pretty full server, especially once you hit that 40/50 range. There were probably 250+ level 50's online last night in Midgard (not the highest populated realm anymore).

Originally posted by Greyjoy13

I left the pvp server to play on a classic server because everyone started over, which was pretty sick.  Then i just didnt have time for a while so i didnt feel like paying for it, now that i have some time again i wanted to start playing again.  How are the other servers now though they worth coming back for?

• Greyjoy13Greyjoy13 Member Posts: 3

thanks guys after reading through some posts about whats goin on in DAoC right now i'm going to be returning by this weekend. 

• radinkradink Member Posts: 3
    I just went to try the 14 day trial, since it's been a really long time since I played. They want you to supply credit card info for the trial. So hopefully if you forget to cancel it, they charge your card. I uninstalled it.

• scorchshinscorchshin Member Posts: 41
    I also was thinking about coming back. I have a 50 on lancelot will it still be there? Also should i just start over or use the level 50 i got.
  • strigasstrigas Member UncommonPosts: 6

@scorchsin-Yes your 50 will still be there, Mythic from the begining stated that they will never delete a char as long as the account was not terminated by them for a specific reason, ie hacking ect. Lancelot is in a fairly nice cluster which has quite a few people out in rvr and doing raids daily, if you do end up coming back i would have to go ahead and say you might as well activate your 50, see if you can get in touch with any of your old guild mates or see if you can find a new one, i havnt seen many people level besides making bg toons so starting over without making atleast a few friends to talk to and have fun with it might be pretty boring. There is no reason why you cant reactivate your old account and then if you decide that you arnt all that into your last 50 you can make a new one and have the fun of leveling and gearing up that toon.

Thanks for the help.....
  • keygankeygan Member Posts: 237

If you come back play on the classic server it is packed up like the old times of DAoC.  Check it out.

I would have to start from level 1 right? Can you move characters?
  • RoseWarriorRoseWarrior Member Posts: 1

I played DAOC for two years straight .My husband and I had a guild and a house and lots of good players and it was fun . BUT ==and this is a big but!

DAOC started nerfing the characters so badly that everyone we played with left the game . The Crafting was nerfed and characters that you worked so hard to build , became useless .I think it is a shame . It was a great game before all of the char tweeking . I went back a month ago after not playing for 3 years . This was the second time I tried it since I stopped playing and nothing has changed except that there are even less people now the when I tried it a year and a half ago .The are so few people left in the game that they now let you cross over into other servers because there aren,t enough people to play on one .

It was so sad to go back because the towns use to be full of people . The forges had crowds of folks standing around and doing there crafting things . Now there is no one .

I went everywhere in all 3 lands and it was the same everywhere I went .

I really don,t get it . The company puts so much time and money into the game looking so good and then nerf the crap out of it until everyone is gone . I only see DAOC going out of business. Mythic seems to be busy doing other games and haven,t stopped to notice that they have just killed a great game !image 

As I said we really loved this game in its hay day, but that time has passed.

Rose Warrior

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    yes it is. i wish i could come back but my comp really sucks right now :(  and i cant get on to beat the mess out of the albs :(

Originally posted by RoseWarrior
    I played DAOC for two years straight .My husband and I had a guild and a house and lots of good players and it was fun . BUT ==and this is a big but! DAOC
    started nerfing the characters so badly that everyone we played with
    left the game . The Crafting was nerfed and characters that you worked
    so hard to build , became useless .I think it is a shame . It was a
    great game before all of the char tweeking . I went back a month ago
    after not playing for 3 years . This was the second time I tried it
    since I stopped playing and nothing has changed except that there are
    even less people now the when I tried it a year and a half ago .The are
    so few people left in the game that they now let you cross over into
    other servers because there aren,t enough people to play on one .
    It
    was so sad to go back because the towns use to be full of people . The
    forges had crowds of folks standing around and doing there crafting
    things . Now there is no one .
    I went everywhere in all 3 lands and it was the same everywhere I went . I
    really don,t get it . The company puts so much time and money into the
    game looking so good and then nerf the crap out of it until everyone is
    gone . I only see DAOC going out of business. Mythic seems to be busy
    doing other games and haven,t stopped to notice that they have just
    killed a great game !image 
    As I said we really loved this game in its hay day, but that time has passed.

While
    there have been nerfs, it has been awhile since there has been any
    major nerfs.  Almost no one stoped playing because of nerfs. 
    Crafting did not get nerfed - an expansion made it nearly obsolete.

If you play on the Classic servers there are people to play with and
    level with.  There are people in the capital cities on most
    servers.  Since there is not ToA on the classic server crafters
    are in high demand.  For the most 6 months or so they have
    actually improved classes and added new abilities. 

People are out in the original zones leveling now because of the double XP. 

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by JulianDracos
    Originally posted by RoseWarrior
    I played DAOC for two years straight .My husband and I had a guild and a house and lots of good players and it was fun . BUT ==and this is a big but! DAOC started nerfing the characters so badly that everyone we played with left the game . The Crafting was nerfed and characters that you worked so hard to build , became useless .I think it is a shame . It was a great game before all of the char tweeking . I went back a month ago after not playing for 3 years . This was the second time I tried it since I stopped playing and nothing has changed except that there are even less people now the when I tried it a year and a half ago .The are so few people left in the game that they now let you cross over into other servers because there aren,t enough people to play on one . It was so sad to go back because the towns use to be full of people . The forges had crowds of folks standing around and doing there crafting things . Now there is no one . I went everywhere in all 3 lands and it was the same everywhere I went . I really don,t get it . The company puts so much time and money into the game looking so good and then nerf the crap out of it until everyone is gone . I only see DAOC going out of business. Mythic seems to be busy doing other games and haven,t stopped to notice that they have just killed a great game !image  As I said we really loved this game in its hay day, but that time has passed.
    While there have been nerfs, it has been awhile since there has been any major nerfs.  Almost no one stoped playing because of nerfs.  Crafting did not get nerfed - an expansion made it nearly obsolete.

If you play on the Classic servers there are people to play with and level with.  There are people in the capital cities on most servers.  Since there is not ToA on the classic server crafters are in high demand.  For the most 6 months or so they have actually improved classes and added new abilities. 

People are out in the original zones leveling now because of the double XP. 

Whoa, when did this double Xp thing come about? I noticed that XP came high in those regions in june when i played but maybe thats just me. no one to group with though.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

The double XP started a week or two ago.  It will run at least
    through 11/10 but there are chances it will run longer given the
    success it has had in getting people out of the TD.  

• HalfmadHalfmad Mortal Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 83
    Having a lot of fun in classic now after quitting 8 months ago lots of nice friendly newbies around to talk to as well image

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Well, I can only speak from the perspective of someone who's pretty new to the game, having started it a few times before but was too "distracted" by other games to give it a fair shot.

Since then, I've said goodbye and good riddance to Lineage II, farewell to Final Fantasy XI, "whatever" to WoW, Ahh.. no thanks to Anarchy Online, "Meh..." to Matrix Online.. and otherwise have completely lost interest in any other MMORPG even coming down the pike (excpet for WAR.. which is actually looking interesting). I'm even on the beta for a certain upcoming MMO that rhymes with "land charred" and am finding myself underwhelmed by that.

Sooo... in a borderline desperate search for *something* to show that I'm not just completely burned out on the genre, I looked again to my DAoC box and said.. "you know what.. why not".

I have to say, now that I'm in it full-blown with nothing else fighting for my attention, I am really thoroughly enjoying this game. The quests so far have been alot of fun - none of the boring, repetitive "kill # of x" or "collect # of y" quests that so many other MMOs rely on almost exclusively for their "quest content"... the quests so far are actually interesting and different.

I know the game has alot of content and lore and heck.. history, having been around for a while. To me, it's probably one of last of the "2nd Generation" MMOs that's still worth playing. I know many would probably disagree, having played for a long time and perhaps jaded or bitter by decisions Mythic made.. but to me, as a new player, DAoC is giving me exactly what I felt missing from all those others I listed, and more... at least for now.

So.. I don't know why you left in the first place, OP, but.. to me, I think it's certainly worth coming back to give it another look.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Havoc-PKHavoc-PK Member Posts: 118
    If you want to come back, I sugest buying about 10 plat to start you off. There aint no lowbie community and it'll be a little hard getting off the ground.

• moomoofarmmoomoofarm Member Posts: 6
    It is def worth it to come back. Just choose gaheris or another CLASSIC server and its mad fun. ToA ruined it, so classic servers are TOA-less. Def worth a try to come back on classic

• ShalandarShalandar Member Posts: 51

I an a GM of a guild on Gareth, Albion side. Buying plat is not neccessary if you are new to the game.  Look for a guild that suits you and if it is oneworth its salt, the members will get you rolling with help, equipment, and direction. The best thing to do if you are new is to introduce yourself to the game by doing the early quests, or new player quests. The quest system in DAoC is incredibly detailed, and the storylines are great. 

The places to Quest move you through the games many Albion zones, and into Catacombs-the aqueducts, then into the Icconu Crypt, the Deadlands, then onto Glastin Forge and the Underground forest. There are quests to be found in dozens of huge areas Im not even listing. Quests provide you with money , experience, and in some cases, nice equipment.

As a previous poster mentioned, on the classic servers crafters are in very high demand.  And thats crafting armor and weapons for people lvl 20+ for the BGs, and eventually RVR.

The CLassic servers are far from dead. Massive wars in NF have been the theme lately, and we Albs are defending for our lives.

The new expansion coming out will add even more spice to a game I have loved for 5 years.  If you need a hand with questions and your unsure of who to talk to, do a /who Angelic Redemption and anyone form my guild will glady point you in the right direction.

Try the 14 trial.  And cya in game.

Grimm, GM of Angelic Redemption.

AR.guildportal.com

Edited for spelling.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Shalandar

I an a GM of a guild on Gareth, Albion side. Buying plat is not neccessary if you are new to the game.  Look for a guild that suits you and if it is oneworth its salt, the members will get you rolling with help, equipment, and direction. The best thing to do if you are new is to introduce yourself to the game by doing the early quests, or new player quests. The quest system in DAoC is incredibly detailed, and the storylines are great. 
    The places to Quest move you through the games many Albion zones, and into Catacombs-the aqueducts, then into the Icconu Crypt, the Deadlands, then onto Glastin Forge and the Underground forest. There are quests to be found in dozens of huge areas Im not even listing. Quests provide you with money , experience, and in some cases, nice equipment.
    As a previous poster mentioned, on the classic servers crafters are in very high demand.  And thats crafting armor and weapons for people lvl 20+ for the BGs, and eventually RVR.
    The CLassic servers are far from dead. Massive wars in NF have been the theme lately, and we Albs are defending for our lives.
    The new expansion coming out will add even more spice to a game I have loved for 5 years.  If you need a hand with questions and your unsure of who to talk to, do a /who Angelic Redemption and anyone form my guild will glady point you in the right direction.
    Try the 14 trial.  And cya in game.
    Grimm, GM of Angelic Redemption.
    Edited for spelling.

Scum-sucking Alb.... prepare to be crushed by the "Exiled Warriors" from Hibernia... (backed up by our Fungus Flingers Alliance army of course)   image

Oh yes, good times ahead on Gareth... come join the fun....

(oh yes, Albs aren't really bad... just doing a little RPing...)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

(oh yes, Albs aren't really bad... just doing a little RPing...)

Yes they
    are.  They are like Roaches.  5 years of killing them and
    they keep coming back.  If only they would surender and realize
    they are wrong can this pointless war be ended.  Then we can turn
    to the real enemy - WoW :P