Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Game Addiction.

I am currently researching the topic of Video Game addiction, or more specifically, MMO addiction. I was just wondering, what the common definition of Video Game addiction was, and if you thikn you are and if you do, why. If you have any questions, I can be contacted a [email protected] .

A little bit about myself: I played Wow for about two years, and had about a total of 140 days pl ayed between my 2 60's. I managed to quit recently though, prolly one of the best things I have done in a long time. So when I was told I had to do a research paper, I chose something that is semi-contreversial, as well as something close to me. Thank you for your time.

Comments

• MesopoliesMesopolies Member Posts: 51

Video Game addiction is just like other forms of escapism(sp?). Escapism drives alot of forms of entertainment. Some escapism is good, it alows a person to get rid of some stress. However just like anything too much of it can be self distructive. Spending alot of time on any form of escapism will lead to reductions in other areas of a persons life.

In the case of online gaming spending to much time playing reduces RL social time. This can posibly make the player feel isolated in real life and drive them to more online gaming to get their social fill.

• FaidenFaiden Member Posts: 20
    I see no real addiction and I have been playing/testing games most of
    my life. Yeah its really fun to play these games but I never got to the
    point of popping caffine pills so I dont need sleep until eventually
    forcing my body to have a crash, or turn out like that guy from the
    South Park episode about WoW. I have played tons of games for every
    genre and it does use alot of my time but when I'm asked if I want to
    go out somewhere I dont pass it down to keep playing. I play them to
    stimulate my mind in a enjoyable way on my free time, never to block
    out my social life or any other part of my life for that matter.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692
    Just make sure you point out that addiction is the fault of the addictee not the game.

• IthurielIthuriel Member CommonPosts: 179
    I'm sure you've heard about the video game addiction clinic in the Netherlands.  I read about that while back, what I thought was interesting is that it started with a drug treatment clinic.  Some doc had a lot of college age rehab patients who were using meth and other stimulants so that they could stay up playing mmo's all night.  I wouldn't say I'm addicted to mmo's, but when my comp was down for few weeks while I was waiting for new mobo and other stuff, I definitely noticed a change in my personality.  I was so used to coming home from work and logging in right away, felt like I had absolutely nothing to do without my comp.  I don't think it's an addiction per se, as I'm capable of functioning without mmo's, but gaming has definitely become a powerful hobby and part of my life.
  • Nicod3musNicod3mus Member UncommonPosts: 114

I am 28 years old and I have been playing video games adictively since the first apple and TI-80. I have an addictive personality and that's where I choose to display it most of the time. I'll take a game over crack anyday and I think you will find that most game junkies are generally adictive in most respects. In short, people have addictive personalities, the game is but an outlet for that addictive nature and better than most of the alternatives I would argue.

Learn to control it when you have to an let it run loose when you can.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Addiction to anything is, at its basis, a preference for the world when one is indulging one's addiction to the world when one is not.  It isn't merely escapism, because everyone indulges in escapism.  Addiction is a real, hard, deep-seated preference for the world when one is high/drunk/gambling/having sex/working/playing video games, etc., to the world when one is not indulging in the addicted activity.  It's very much a form of rejecting "normal"reality in favor of something else.

MMOs are certainly susceptible to this, because a "good" MMO is effective at removing the player from the real world and immersing them in the game world -- and I do believe that some people are addicted to them, just as people are addicted to booze, drugs, etc.  The key in distinguishing an addict from a non-addict is whether the addict continues to engage in the behavior despite adverse impacts on other aspects of their lives, be it school or work, social and family life, intimate relationships and the like.  if the activity is interfering in these aspects of "real life" and yet you keep doing it to the same degree .... you're probably addicted.

• HexagenHexagen Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by cing
      I am currently researching the topic of Video Game addiction, or more specifically, MMO addiction. I was just wondering, what the common definition of Video Game addiction was, and if you thikn you are and if you do, why. If you have any questions, I can be contacted a [email protected] .

A little bit about myself: I played Wow for about two years, and had about a total of 140 days pl ayed between my 2 60's. I managed to quit recently though, prolly one of the best things I have done in a long time. So when I was told I had to do a research paper, I chose something that is semi-contreversial, as well as something close to me. Thank you for your time.

What kind of a research paper are you doing? Do you think one question poll on gaming addiction on these forums would provide you with data to support your findings?

I have done plenty of research and data analysis before. That's why I'm wondering. Also I suggest looking up game addiction papers. There is a wealth online and offline.

• cingcing Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Hexagen

Originally posted by cing

What kind of a research paper are you doing? Do you think one question poll on gaming addiction on these forums would provide you with data to support your findings?

I have done plenty of research and data analysis before. That's why I'm wondering. Also I suggest looking up game addiction papers. There is a wealth online and offline.

Its a group research paper, I am doing it with a few friends, and other avid gamers. We chose this topic cause we have seen it amoungst the people we play with. We were all assigned parts to do in this paper, and I chose the one of doing interviews and getting a public opinion. No, I dont think one thred on a  forums will give me everything I need to know, but I do think it will help benifit me by reaching out to mulitpule people at the same time and people that this issue may mean more to that random people on the street. This is more to help steer me in the right directions. It may help me chose what questions I will be asking.

Also, I do know of the clinic in Amsterdam, I tried to contact them about two weeks ago, with no responce, so I looked around some more, and I found there is a place up in MA that also "treats" such conditions. Also, thanks for taking the time to post your thought here.

• SirwalloSirwallo Member Posts: 53
    I am just impressed, there are a lot of people wich posted that they
    are addicted to videogames, I hope that many of them are joking and
    making fun of it. In my case I can live without my PC perfectly, maybe
    in the week I will get bored a few times because gaming is part of my
    day in most weeks but my PC is on repairment now and I have not had any
    problems so far.

Wallo =)

• finalhourfinalhour Member Posts: 63
    I am in a clan, and yes, when I don't play with them, or hangout online, or shoot the crap out of some enemies in an online fps, I miss it.  I have pulled a few all-nighters, but I dont organize my life around gaming.  Is fun, and like another guy said, its a hobbie, but  dont overdo it, maybe an hr of gaming a night (parents restrict it..cuz they suck) but I can see how it would be easy to become addicted
  • AbsoluteDudeAbsoluteDude Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Faiden
    I see no real addiction and I have been playing/testing games most of my life. Yeah its really fun to play these games but I never got to the point of popping caffine pills so I dont need sleep until eventually forcing my body to have a crash, or turn out like that guy from the South Park episode about WoW. I have played tons of games for every genre and it does use alot of my time but when I'm asked if I want to go out somewhere I dont pass it down to keep playing. I play them to stimulate my mind in a enjoyable way on my free time, never to block out my social life or any other part of my life for that matter.

imageThis guy?

• nikoanikoa Member Posts: 70

I see people saying that they are not addicted and they have 7 hours logged on XFire for this week.  Yeah you are not addicted, others are. Video Games are like alcohol, some people lose control others do not.

I consider my roommate addicted to World of Warcraft.  He plays WoW for about 14 hours a day everyday for the past six months.  He quit his job so he can raid more and has the best loot for the entire game except from two items for his DPS gear (he plays a Druid, which is a healer thing).  Sometimes he leaves his Ventrillo on when we are watching a movie in case someone needs him.

Current Games: EVE, WoW
    Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, CoH, CoX, MXO, GW, Silk Road, WAR, AoC, Anarchy Online, UO, DDO
  • AranStormahAranStormah Member Posts: 278

Originally posted by Mesopolies
    Video Game addiction is just like other forms of escapism(sp?). Escapism drives alot of forms of entertainment. Some escapism is good, it alows a person to get rid of some stress. However just like anything too much of it can be self distructive. Spending alot of time on any form of escapism will lead to reductions in other areas of a persons life. In the case of online gaming spending to much time playing reduces RL social time. This can posibly make the player feel isolated in real life and drive them to more online gaming to get their social fill.
    Completely recognise myself in this definition. I tend to have periods of no-gaming, then I pick up something new or old for recreative purposes and I get lost in them to the point where it depraves my education/work/social life untill I burn out on the game. Worst case scenarios have been getting addicted to MMOs right before the exams periods starts, and I had a neighbour who quit uni cause of WoW. So far I've made it through in those events by pure stubborness, but a bit less willpower and I would've flunked them all easily.

There's moments of rare selfinsight where I think I should see someone about it as a real problem, but then again I shrug it off and don't take it as serious as I probably should ;) Funny thing is: during non-gaming periods like I'm in right now I get much more conscious about, well, everything, start reading again, work out more outside and think about spiritual stuff and stuff.

It (gaming addiction, not gaming in general) is definetly a phenounoma(sp?) which is harming our generation much more than it is contributing to something good, allthough the social aspect of MMOs _can_ be a positive factor due to putting you in touch with a more broader group of people than your own neighbourhood.
  • kdog2fastkdog2fast Member Posts: 2

Yea yo i am addicted. But its good all u gotta do is find something better. Hanging with people is much better than playing alone so believe me get addicted to the right stuff and its no biggy. U will break it somethime eventually.

• Explic1tExplic1t Member Posts: 1
    I have to say I was addicted at one time.  At one point I went several months without working and without trying to find a job.  I ended up getting evicted and didn't spend anytime trying to find another place to live.  I eventually got my life together and realized that I needed to pay attention to real life a little more.  But just a little.  I went to work and got the bills paid, but was still neglecting things like doctor's appointments and routine maintenance of my car.  Eventually me and my girlfriend split up due to her multiple online affairs mainly occuring in MMO's.  Since our split up, I gave her the guild I was running in WoW and cancelled my account.  I haven't gotten involved in an MMO since, but I'm looking forward to the release of Warhammer.

• Jade6Jade6 Member Posts: 429

Talking about gaming addiction always kinda makes me chuckle. Yeah, focusing too much on just one thing will lead to reductions in other things, but the fact that it can happen already proves that those other things didn't mean so much to you in the first place. Everybody has to make trade-offs anyway - putting more time into thing A means putting less time into thing B and trying to do a bit of everything means not doing enough of anything. It's that simple. People just whine about addiction when interests change and they wonder how they could have been so into something, but the fact is that it made sense at the time. It's not an addiction unless it stops you from changing when you really want to.

Good point from Nicod3mus - some personalities are more pre-disposed to obsessive-compulsive behaviour than others. Novaseeker highlights the standard definition of mental illness, but it can be a bit hazy; for example, people have been known to blame gaming addiction for their divorce but the cause-effect relationship is unclear. Did the divorce happen because of gaming addiction, or did the gaming addiction happen because one felt trapped in his / her marriage? You can't define addiction by how focused someone is into something though, since by that definition everyone who ever achieved anything whatsoever was an addict, which could then lead us to conclude that addiction is in fact preferable to "normal reality". By that definition, only those who are indifferently killing time would not be addicted to anything...

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Yes i amimage

RL dunno what your talking about you mean killing mobs:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i