Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is my comp''good'' help please :) ?

I need al ittle help, my comp stats are;
Amd athlon 64
3000MhZ
1gb Ram
150gb space
grfx card:ATI radeon 9600pro (256mb)

so i want to be able to play Huxley,Vanguard flawless..what upgrades wuld be need it :D?

Comments

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    Looks good to me, though graphics card maybe dating.

• karlz0rkarlz0r Member Posts: 158

I recommand you to buy another 1gb of ram and surely sell that vid card of yours and buy 2x 256mb vid cards that support crossfire ( doens't cost much and is way better than just 1 card which is 512mb ) and play any game you want. image

• OnlineBoyoOnlineBoyo Member Posts: 70
    Yeah, as it is this computer should play anything, but I would really really recommend bumping up the ram to 2gb.  Its really worth it.  Video card I'd recommend waiting a bit long til vista comes out so you can get a directx10 capable card thats been consumer tested image

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Like everyone else said, it looks nice but could use a tad more RAM.  The grpahics card should be fine for the next round of games, I think.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    I'm not so sure the video card will play the next round of games. Even if it does, settings will have to be low. The 9800 pro may be the bottom end of upcoming top level games. I'd check the specs of those games to see what you need. It's also true that there aren't any cards on the market now capable of using the max capabilities of Vista. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy Vista right away anyway. There will be many applications (games) that won't be able to run on Vista right away.

I'd recommend 1 gig of ram if it can run on your motherboard. The videocard is iffy on whether you want to upgrade. But if probably won't run new games flawless unless on low settings. Vanguard's home site won't list minimum specs yet so I have no idea what you will need.

• ZephrithZephrith Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Alekhin
    I'm not so sure the video card will play the next round of games. Even if it does, settings will have to be low. The 9800 pro may be the bottom end of upcoming top level games. I'd check the specs of those games to see what you need. It's also true that there aren't any cards on the market now capable of using the max capabilities of Vista. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy Vista right away anyway. There will be many applications (games) that won't be able to run on Vista right away.

I'd recommend 1 gig of ram if it can run on your motherboard. The videocard is iffy on whether you want to upgrade. But if probably won't run new games flawless unless on low settings. Vanguard's home site won't list minimum specs yet so I have no idea what you will need.

Waaiit... So are you saying getting a new video card right now is just a waste of money?

Not necessarilly. But getting a state of the art card right now probably is. I don't think minor upgrades would cost much and would probably still be worth it.

Not necessarilly. But getting a state of the art card right now probably is. I don't think minor upgrades would cost much and would probably still be worth it.

Meaning, getting a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card is a bad idea?

Just asking, since I'm getting a whole new computer, and I want to see if I should spend my money on that good of a card (If it is, anyway)

• opeth313xopeth313x Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by dhartz
    Amd athlon 64
    3000MhZ
    1gb Ram
    150gb space

so i want to be able to play Huxley,Vanguard flawless..what upgrades wuld be need it :D?

Yep that's pretty good. It's about the same as mine except yours has a better graphics card (mine is intergrated...) and I have 120gb hard drive space, and your processor is better.

I'm not sure what upgrades you would need. But I would recommend another gig, and if you have the money, get a Direct X10 card. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no money and my parents would never buy me a $600 gfx card..

Originally posted by Zephrith

Meaning, getting a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card is a bad idea?

Just asking, since I'm getting a whole new computer, and I want to see if I should spend my money on that good of a card (If it is, anyway)

I have 2 7800gtx sli cards when they were top of the line. You are going to pay probably a little over $1k US dollars for the cards. Windows Vista is coming out in a couple months. I wouldn't buy Vista until almost all the major kinks get worked out. I'd guess the new cards would be good for at least a year if you want a state of the art (or close) videocard. The next generation of cards are going to be jump in power not just because of Vista but also because of DX10. I'd say in about 1-2 years would be the optimum time to upgrade your card.

BTW, I don't think there is much difference anymore between ATI and nVidia are minor (except for the fact that ATI seems to have a new driver about every week).

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

That 9600 could definitely do with being replaced for Huxley. Although there isn't any hurry since Huxley is unlikely to launch anytime soon.

All GFX cards will be DX10 so don't worry about that. DX10 introduces precisely zero new FX, only optimised drivers for higher frame rates.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688
    Definaltey 1 gig more ram.

Hold out on the graphics card, there are going to be lots of variations on the new nvidia 8800's (directx10) and i would personally look at the low->mid range models of these. Even if you dont, they should bring the price of the current directx9 cards down.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719
    You will have to upgrade everything in order to play the next round of games flawless, from medium-high settings and above. Although you might be able to play some of them on low settings. This is the order of importance for upgrading right now, in my opinion:

1. Video Card
    2. RAM
    3. Processor

For the video card, I would recommend getting something like GeForce 7300GT or 7600GT for now if you can't wait, as they are the best midrange cards as of now. (I don't care if they are techincally low-midrange or what). After that you should wait a year or two then get a DX10 card, along with Windows Vista.

As for the RAM, upgrading to 2GB will be good for you.

The processor should last you a while, but once quad-core CPUs come out, which is soon, then you may want to upgrade to at least a dual core.

DX10 also does not only "improve your framerates" or whatever the guy said before. There are much more things to DX10 than that.

I would also recommend not listening to every advice posted in this thread. Use your brain.

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653

Amd athlon 64
    3000MhZ
    1gb Ram
    150gb space

You're CPU is probably fine, you might need more HD space, Vanguard is supposedly taking 24gigs!  Also you'll want at least 2 gigs of ram.  You're graphics card also needs to be updated... 

So on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the highest, I'd give you a 6.  Everythign except the CPU needs an update.

Edit:  If you do get a vid card, I would spend as much as you can since DX10 cards won't be out (and affordable) til summer '07 at least.

These DX10 cards... how much are they suppose to be? I'm planning on buying one on my birthday, just afraid I won't have enough money...

These DX10 cards... how much are they suppose to be? I'm planning on buying one on my birthday, just afraid I won't have enough money...
    I don't know when your birthday is but DX10 videocards won't be available until after Vista is released. Personally I wouldn't get a DX10 videocard until at least a year after Vista is released. Remember that many games or applications you use now may not work when Vista is released (until there is time to create patches). I'd wait until things smooth over.

• TeleboasTeleboas Member UncommonPosts: 184

Originally posted by mehhem

Amd athlon 64
    3000MhZ
    1gb Ram
    150gb space

You're CPU is probably fine, you might need more HD space, Vanguard is supposedly taking 24gigs!  Also you'll want at least 2 gigs of ram.  You're graphics card also needs to be updated... 

So on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the highest, I'd give you a 6.  Everythign except the CPU needs an update.

Edit:  If you do get a vid card, I would spend as much as you can since DX10 cards won't be out (and affordable) til summer '07 at least.

Yeah, Vanguard alone is going to take lots of HD space.  By release it will be atleast 24 gigs I'm sure.  It's close to that now, with alot of the game not even added.
  • XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

I don't know when your birthday is but DX10 videocards won't be available until after Vista is released. Personally I wouldn't get a DX10 videocard until at least a year after Vista is released. Remember that many games or applications you use now may not work when Vista is released (until there is time to create patches). I'd wait until things smooth over.

Geforce 8800. DX10 cards are already out.

• asupermaneasupermane Member Posts: 682

Originally posted by Xzaro

Geforce 8800. DX10 cards are already out.

and theyre pretty sweet looking too!    I'm interested in the R600 ATI series also.  Looks pretty promising.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Windows Vista is coming out in a couple months.

HEH im pretty sure Vista  is already out :P  And no im not talking about the beta.

As for the OP as others have said I would go up a gig on the ram, but I would have to know if you have a AGP Vid card or is it PCI- Express in order to go more in detail in what you should do to upgrade.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• SundiegoSundiego Member Posts: 92
    First off.

What kind of MotherBoard do you have? This is important as some wont even support Dual graphics guards. Also it can effect ability to OC, reliablity, and possible strength. Always invest good money into the Mother board since it is the one thing that shouldnt need a lot of upgrades.

Second you need more Ram, 2 GB, also get good quality Ram as that can make a difference as well. What kind of RAM do you have now?

As for Graphics cards if you want you should upgrade. Maybe wait a bit before the games come out since Graphic guards are always changing and getting cheaper. Look for the best deal. They are also very easy to install.

There are some other, better, websites that will help you build and update your computer. Google for Over Clocking forums and websites (they help you build a computer from scratch and give tips to increase the power of your computer by overclocking). Be careful since Overclocking does diminish the lifespan of your processor, however by the time it finally needs to be replaced you will probably have to replace it anyways.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604
    The comp-specs should be fine for upcoming titles.
    As said before, the RAM should be changed to 2GB and the Gfx Cards needs to be changed, too.
    But don't buy anything just yet. Vanguard for example will be released in January, so that means after christmas. Might be worthwhile to wait till then, should be possible to get a better deal for a card and RAM.

• dhartzdhartz Member Posts: 482
    Ty all so much for the help/replys.

I have 2 more questions :), im gonna buy a 1gb ram card, a DX10, anda motherboard that will support the DX10(il get this in january), how much will it cost me :)? Oh an my friend told me that its not good to have 2x512 ram +1gb ram, that it shuld be 2x1gb ram or so....is this true or is it just hoax ?

• OwenMcQOwenMcQ Member Posts: 91

I have 2 more questions :), im gonna buy a 1gb ram card, a DX10, anda motherboard that will support the DX10(il get this in january), how much will it cost me :)? Oh an my friend told me that its not good to have 2x512 ram +1gb ram, that it shuld be 2x1gb ram or so....is this true or is it just hoax ?

Is your CPU a socket 754 or socket 939 version?

The memory controller on the 939 supports running memory in dual-channel configuration, so you'd probably want 2 1GB modules. Not to mention, some boards can be finicky running 2x512MB + 1x1GB . . . or even memory that isn't the same brand/speed/etc., for that matter.

The NVIDIA 8800 is very fast, but also very expensive. Personally, I would save some money and stick with a 7950 GT or one of the Radeon x19xx variants. You could get 2GB of RAM, a motherboard, and one of these cards for about the same price as the 8800 alone, and it would still be a huge step above your current video card.

Another thing to consider if your current CPU is a socket 754 would be upgrading to the AM2 platform (I'm assuming you want to stick with AMD processors). Of course, this would require a new CPU purchase as well.

However, this would give you much more headroom to upgrade in the future. The last socket 754 CPU I'm aware of was the 3700+, so if you wanted to go beyond that and into the dual-core CPUs, you'd need to move beyond that platform.

• dhartzdhartz Member Posts: 482
    Ty i kinda got it but can u list me the things i shuld buy?