Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Dilema

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

So after coming from a long list of MMOS (I originated in EQ, yea I'm one of those) I am currently having MMO withdrawls. I've got a subscription to WoW a friend got for me, which I barely use because I despise that game. I can't bring myself to play it. On to my point is this, while waiting for upcoming MMOs I need something to keep me busy and feed my mmo hunger. I bought EQ2 not too long after it came out and after a few days realized how rediculously horrible that game was. However in light of recent changes I hear it is a much more fun game now. I've also always wanted to play a fae/fairy type character so with the new expansion coming out I'm considering buying it. My questions to those who sill play EQ2 are;

- Are there any ultra populated server? Which ones are they?

- I read you can now pick your class upon creation. One of the biggest things I hated about that game was the fact you had to follow this trail and wait for certain levels to pick your class. Is this gone now?

- I remember reading one of the expansions brough pvp in to the picture. Is this pvp on pve server? How does it work?

Any and all answers to these questions would be apreciated. I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want to do MMO wise.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• qwepoiqwepoi Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by dreamer05

- I read you can now pick your class upon creation. One of the biggest things I hated about that game was the fact you had to follow this trail and wait for certain levels to pick your class. Is this gone now?
    - I remember reading one of the expansions brough pvp in to the picture. Is this pvp on pve server? How does it work?

It is a much better game, although alot easier than it was at launch thats for sure. As for servers ill suggest najena, its probably the most drama free server of them all, and has one of the largest population of players who play at all times of the day, so you can get a group pretty much any time (it's been called the server that never sleepsimage)

as for the class thing, yes that is gone now.

as for pvp, there are duels and arenas (dont get used much) on the pve servers, and they did bring in pvp servers a while back, which is basically open pvp, freeport vs qeynos.

hope this helped:)

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    First of all thanks for answering my questions! Also one last question, or maybe not but are there any pvp servers with really high population?

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Najena is a PvP server, so judging by his post I'd say it's well populated. (I play on AB myself, which has a fairly high population as well, but it is PvE)

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by SLNTASN

Najena is a PvP server, so judging by his post I'd say it's well populated. (I play on AB myself, which has a fairly high population as well, but it is PvE)

Najena isnt a PvP server, you might be thinking of Nagafen.
  • SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937
    If you're looking to PvP Nagafen has quite a few people.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

So after coming from a long list of MMOS (I originated in EQ, yea I'm one of those) I am currently having MMO withdrawls. I've got a subscription to WoW a friend got for me, which I barely use because I despise that game. I can't bring myself to play it. On to my point is this, while waiting for upcoming MMOs I need something to keep me busy and feed my mmo hunger. I bought EQ2 not too long after it came out and after a few days realized how rediculously horrible that game was. However in light of recent changes I hear it is a much more fun game now. I've also always wanted to play a fae/fairy type character so with the new expansion coming out I'm considering buying it. My questions to those who sill play EQ2 are;
    No, the playerbase is still shrinking and will be mostly gone when Vanguard releases.
    It's still a class based system with narrow definitions to choose from.
    It's not real PvP only dueling and no item loot.
    Any and all answers to these questions would be apreciated. I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want to do MMO wise.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by Samuraisword

It's not real PvP only dueling and no item loot.

You really have no idea do you? Dueling, sure on the PvE servers but open on the PvP servers.  As far as item loot, well im sure you can read well enough to take a look below.

Coin and Item Loot
    In the event of an honorable death, players will drop a percentage of their coin into a chest that can be looted by anyone who gained rewards for the kill (or the player who died if they make it back to the chest in time).

Additionally, there is a chance that players will drop a single item from their non-equipped inventory upon death. These items are of Treasured quality and lower, and cannot be Attuned or No-Trade.

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Samuraisword

No, the playerbase is still shrinking and will be mostly gone when Vanguard releases. WRONG!  Correct answer: The playerbase is alive and thriving and will be around long after the release of Vanguard.  Nagena is one of the more populated servers.
    It's still a class based system with narrow definitions to choose from. WRONG! Correct answer: You can now choose your class at character creation and while the classes do still fall into the 4 main archetypes, they are all quite different from each other.
    It's not real PvP only dueling and no item loot. WRONG! Correct answer: PvP is limited to dueling and arena games on the PvE Servers, but there is REAL PVP on the designated PvP Servers which allows for open player-killing with restricted looting.

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    samuraisword is wrong and seems to b trying to put a negetive spin to this thread.  no offense is intended, but if ur going to answer a question, plz make sure ur doing it with facts.

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Originally posted by Flem
    Originally posted by SLNTASN
    Najena isnt a PvP server, you might be thinking of Nagafen.

Ah, I was, my apologies.. Thanks for clearing that up.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Awsome thanks to those who gave positive feedback. Yea I did research and it looks like Nagafen is the populated pvp server. Now my last question I promise would be where can I find like a list of the rules for the pvp servers? I looked everywhere and couldn't find them. Thanks everyone you've been a serious help!

Awsome thanks to those who gave positive feedback. Yea I did research and it looks like Nagafen is the populated pvp server. Now my last question I promise would be where can I find like a list of the rules for the pvp servers? I looked everywhere and couldn't find them. Thanks everyone you've been a serious help!

youre very welcome and in answer to your question.  outside of town, full pvp.  you can attack and be attacked by anyone of the opposing faction.  Not sure if thats really what you wanted to know, but thats all i can offer.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Coin and Item Loot
    In the event of an honorable death, players will drop a percentage of their coin into a chest that can be looted by anyone who gained rewards for the kill (or the player who died if they make it back to the chest in time).

Additionally, there is a chance that players will drop a single item from their non-equipped inventory upon death. These items are of Treasured quality and lower, and cannot be Attuned or No-Trade.

That's not real PvP. In real PvP nothing is safe and any item can drop, especially the best items a player owns, not just the lesser quality gear from one's inventory. For PvP to be real and risky, something to be considered carefuly, not just a zergfest without true consequences, all items must be at risk.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

Originally posted by Jorev

Coin and Item Loot

That's not real PvP. In real PvP nothing is safe and any item can drop, especially the best items a player owns, not just the lesser quality gear from one's inventory. For PvP to be real and risky, something to be considered carefuly, not just a zergfest without true consequences, all items must be at risk.

name a single game out that actually fits this model.  not a mud, but a new MMO.

• JMoney95JMoney95 Member Posts: 211

Jorev you dont seem to understand what PVP is. It's when you fight another player. You know, player vs player.

Looting has nothing to do with PVP.

Real PVP is permadeath, but you are too carebear for that Jorev.

"name a single game out that actually fits this model.  not a mud, but a new MMO."

The Realm Online. 3 item random, including any item that is equipped.

EvE Online, all items are at risk, can be collected in space after foe is destroyed.

Those 2 games I know for certain, having played both.

I believe UO and Shadowbane have item looting not limited to inferior items but am not certain since I have not played them.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    www.vanguardsoh

Originally posted by JMoney95

Jorev you dont seem to understand what PVP is. It's when you fight another player. You know, player vs player.
    Looting has nothing to do with PVP.
    Real PVP is permadeath, but you are too carebear for that Jorev.

You are the carebear because you think PvP without risk and loss or gain is meaningful. You are too afraid to put your money and items where your mouth is. You can only fight in a protected environment where your stuff is safe.

You must be one of those clowns that runs around saying you pwned people yet have nothing to show for it.

I am eager to play a game that will offer permadeath for all participants which is why I support Trials of Ascension. Check out my posts on that game forum and the dates I posted.

Brad McQuaid
    www.vanguardsoh

I stand corrected, Jorev.  ur definitely right.  i dont know anything at all about the Realm, but EVE is definitely a true to life (and death) pvp game.  I forgot completely about it.  I played it and loved it.  If they could somehow incorporate that kind and lvl of death penalty to a Fantasy MMO, i would so love it.  Ill have to check out the Realm.  as far as UO or any of those deceased games, i catagorize those with the ancient MUDS.  i know that technically they arent MUDS but still, i have no desire to go back to that style of game and graphics.  Now if they could somehow revamp UOs graphics to todays standards but leave the mechanics untouched, i may try it.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    Hello, i play on the bazaar server, it is very populated, if you want someone to show you around on that server look me up names haggly, i run a very nice clan , no one in my clan is under the age of 25, and thwe oldest person being 70, lol, we call him grandpa really cool old gamer, well, cheers hope you have fun.

playing eq2 and two worlds