Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop emulating WOW please.

If this game and/or it's interface is a "cousin of WOW's" it has already turned me off. WOW is the worst thing ever to happen to MMO's. So far no game has done MMORPG as good as (let alone better than) DAOC IMO.

I'm curious, as devoted MMO players, what do you guys think it will take to bring a game to the next level? What IS the next level? And, finally, has the over popularity of the ultra dumbed down WOW permenantly gimped the wonderful world of MMO's?

Comments

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454

UI works. It's the best possible UI atm. I would rather have WoW UI then SWG/Random Korean MMO UI.

And no. This will not take the game to the next level. It's just classic MMO with LotR skin over it.

What's so wrong with WoW? Once I tryed it for my 1st time in US Beta I couldn't belive my eyes. I never had so much fun in MMO games (mybe all vido games would be bit too much... but it was close to that). Yeah it's simple, "dumbed-down" but that's what makes WoW wow. It's best MMO atm (till lvl 60). And WoW will stay in MMO for some time in one way or another. Like people talk about UO till this day. Take depth of SWG (pre-cu) and mix it with enjoyment of WoW and you have a MMO at next level.

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...
  • NalaephNalaeph Member Posts: 37
    It's called evolution, of course the developers will look at other game's qualities and see how they can incorporate them into their own products. And if wow got only one thing right it is the GUI (IMO anyway). I might not agree with many of the plugins that were available in the short time I was playing it, that's another matter, but it's basic were good. Besides it's not like Blizzard invented the wheel there, they took what other games did and improved on it as well.

To me your posts sounds like a knee jerk reaction from someone who's just bitter about wow and it's rather simple gameplay and I can sympathise with that, but a similar Interface doesn't mean it's gameplay or game-mechanics will be anything like wow. Unless someone comes up with a neural interface, voice controll, or a Wii-like controller so you can swing your sword in real-time, we'll probably have to do with action-bars etc.

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by DrSmaSh

Take depth of SWG (pre-cu) and mix it with enjoyment of WoW and you have a MMO at next level.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It seems as if people are demanding a huge leap forward that isn't going to happen successfully. Progression has be in steps, each basing itself on the solidity of the step before. Too big a jump and there is too high a chance of failure.

For those who think that LOTRO should be far different from WOW (lets face it, the tried and tested base for future developement whether we like it or not) you should send your ideas to Turbine (or any dev company) with your resume for a job.

We would all love to see something completely new out there but don't forget, all these developement companies spend a long time doing theur due diligence before embarking on a new game.

I have played SWG (pre CU) and WOW and the WOW interface is far better ... what is it that people actually expecting from an interface? And why should a WOW styled interface be so bad? The interface has to give the player a chance to play the game to the best of its ability and to be honest, the WOW style does that pretty well.

• jessianjessian Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by Gallant

If this game and/or it's interface is a "cousin of WOW's" it has already turned me off. WOW is the worst thing ever to happen to MMO's. So far no game has done MMORPG as good as (let alone better than) DAOC IMO.

I'm curious, as devoted MMO players, what do you guys think it will take to bring a game to the next level? What IS the next level? And, finally, has the over popularity of the ultra dumbed down WOW permenantly gimped the wonderful world of MMO's?

The next level of MMO is very easy to answer.

Total player immersion in the actual world they live in, lets look at one game i would die for to be done as a MMO.

Lets look at example, ALIENS

Taking the concept of Aliens we can turn the Earth, set at a distant time, of 3120. The Aliens have broken free of the scientists space ships and taken complete control over earth. Now we fast forward to OUR (Player interaction, ie Launch of game) time. Instead of a PVP game we have 100% LIVE event driven game play.

Here the devs have us, the player "train" in certain skills, skills that dont take 10000000000 kills of some stupid monster. In my thoughts of doing ALIENS : Target earth" the players level by completeing tactical missions "Simulated" missions (similar to playing arcade games) from killing bugs, to working as a team.

Now once the players from around the world have gotten to a tipping point, (say 60% of the players have gotten the basic skills, shooting, fire effects, tactics, team work, rescue, nuking and so forth, then the players get LIVE events.

These are run by the Game Masters (any name for em here) and provides squads (GUILDS/PAs) with XP and bonuses. This is the new level for MMORPG's the ability to level your characters working WITH other humans rather than killing some.

PVP could, be added to this game, as boss missions could have a timer event on it, giving 4 teams the option to work as a team or ambushing each other too.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

If this game and/or it's interface is a "cousin of WOW's" it has already turned me off. WOW is the worst thing ever to happen to MMO's. So far no game has done MMORPG as good as (let alone better than) DAOC IMO.   I'm curious, as devoted MMO players, what do you guys think it will take to bring a game to the next level? What IS the next level? And, finally, has the over popularity of the ultra dumbed down WOW permenantly gimped the wonderful world of MMO's?
    no matter if you like wow or not, 6 or 7 million subscribers is one of the largest numbers in us/europe ever. so of course one will look at that game, see what have they done and try to do something similar, maybe with a twist, as in this case the pvmp hopefully will be.
    funny though that modern mmos only look at wow, and not at the originators for wow. i don't see,a s one example,  player housing high up on the list for lotro developement.

imageimage

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    gallant, I couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately, I think WoW has destroyed online gaming. Now everyone wants everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. WoW is lacking in so many ways, there aren't even words. Terrible, terrible game. I wish I hadn't wasted the money on it.

The next level...

They need to stop making excuses for what they can't do when it's blatant crap that they're just too lazy to make it work properly (like the ability to sit in chairs). Complete character customization, including a chance to choose color of all clothing and armor, and the ability to add design to such things as cloaks. Character customization should have as many options, and come in as many shapes and sizes, as we do in real life. There should be at least a dozen possible builds (not races or classes though those work for a starting point, possible choices within each class and race for every character so that absolutely anything is possible). And there should be the possibility of being duel or even tripple classed (but different levels for each one).

Options should be realistic (meaning, almost so real you feel like you could touch them). Quests should have many different possible endings depending on your own choices (rather than just "Kill 20 of this" type of quest).

THAT is the future. If WoW doesn't continue to destroy the genre with the worst possible gaming ever.

I'm sure you can pick out more and my sleep fogged brain is screaming
    "bed time" to me so I'll be back tomorrow when I'll probably have
    thought of more for you.

• -Achilles--Achilles- Member Posts: 23
    http://www.firingsquad.com/games/asherons_call_2_review/images/04.jpg

Looks like World of Warcraft doesn't it? Except it came out two years earlier. That interface can be traced back to Everquest. Honestly...I can't stand it, which is why I play the original Asheron's Call...twitch combat...

Nonetheless, World of Warcraft isn't original in any regard.

• xaussxauss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 384

*sighs*

some ppl seem to think MMOs start and end with WoW

Gallant said:

"If this game and/or it's interface is a "cousin of WOW's" it has already turned me off. WOW is the worst thing ever to happen to MMO's. So far no game has done MMORPG as good as (let alone better than) DAOC IMO."

"I'm curious, as devoted MMO players, what do you guys think it will take to bring a game to the next level? What IS the next level? And, finally, has the over popularity of the ultra dumbed down WOW permenantly gimped the wonderful world of MMO's?"

WoW just put their own stamp on a genre and format that was being done by almost every other fatasy MMO before it - it wasnt new or groundbreaking - Blizzard did it well and should be congratulated on their success. Personally i disliked both the toony look of WoW and the community (and the craft for that matter) so i dont play it - though i dont feel the need to disrespect them, and they wouldnt care if i did.

As for your question to take a game to next level, personally i would like a more interactive environment and NPCs, giving players more to do in the world than just quest or grind. And stick a decent craft system on top!

Additionally - i would be perfectly happy if classess / schools could be abandoned (as well as levels / level caps) for a more organic and free character development. As you gain experience the character could develop in any one of 100s (or 1000s) of possible ways - healing skills / weapon skills / health / combat moves / stealth / increase in damage dealt / damage avoidance / combat spells / buffs etc etc - This way every character could be made unique and completely player specced

• BoochBooch Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by DrSmaSh
    Take depth of SWG (pre-cu) and mix it with enjoyment of WoW and you have a MMO at next level.
    That's exactly what I look for in a MMORPG and that's why I'm looking long and hard at LOTRO. It has promise!

• DeathpooperDeathpooper Member Posts: 265
    Stop posting please.

If this game and/or it's interface is a "cousin of WOW's" it has already turned me off. WOW is the worst thing ever to happen to MMO's. So far no game has done MMORPG as good as (let alone better than) DAOC IMO.   I'm curious, as devoted MMO players, what do you guys think it will take to bring a game to the next level? What IS the next level? And, finally, has the over popularity of the ultra dumbed down WOW permenantly gimped the wonderful world of MMO's?

• darc21darc21 Member Posts: 94

And, finally, has the over popularity of the ultra dumbed down WOW permenantly gimped the wonderful world of MMO's?

Yes, just look at the WoW south park episode. Just takes the **** out of it. It does deserve it really.

WAR looks AWESOME!

Give Blood....Play Rugby!

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Lotro is still way in beta right now. Looks like the Devs are taking their time and hopefully listening to the feedback from the beta palyers. My self I like Horizons interface, was not fancy but was flexible as heck. Too bad the rest of that game sucked.

As far as emulating WoW with 7 milllion players they must be doing something right, however I did not care for it myself. Hopefully LoTRO will copy the polish from WoW, and a lot of the best features of other games also. Right now LoTRO look slike the best thing on the horizon, with PoBS right behind so time will tell.

I miss DAoC

• FugnudzFugnudz Member Posts: 480

WOW has a great interface, a very good class system with a flexible talent system, and has many other things worth emulating.

I would not emulate their cartoon world or their absence of a death penalty, but I would take some of their slickly polished game mechanics and carry them over into the design of a serious MMORPG.

• havocthefirshavocthefirs Member Posts: 229

I agree, I'm a UO and old SWG fan myself. It seems WOW has really decimated the mmorpg industry. Their popularity has made other companies jealous, so they all try to make clones now.

Blizzard played the cruelest trick of them all, they gave children exactly what they wanted. They made a simple static game that requires no thought. In essence they gave children a pacifier. Blizzard holds your hand, spoon feeding you everything you ever wanted, its impossible to lose. There is no risk yet you are constantly rewarded for just attending class.

The sad part is most mmorpg players used to be working stiffs who played games in the evening to unwind after a hard days work. One of the things I hate the worst about the new games is the damn wasd movement, it reminds me of playing an old commodore 64, I have a mouse for movement let me use it already.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I think the next level of gaming will be one where you can basically do anything you want.

The problem is, I don't see that happening any time soon. WoW has, at least temporarily destroyed the game industry by turning these games into kiddie games.

• brodya65brodya65 Member Posts: 5
    I agree, Blizzard made WoW exactly how the younger kids wanted it.  There's nothing extraordinary about it and I wish everyone would stop making clones of it.  We want a game with a challenging structure that's unpredictable and addicting because of this aspect. 

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

I've been doing my homework on WOW, tracing back what they were hoping to do when they set out.  I have alot more respect for what they accomplished now.

They wanted to improve upon the online gaming experience of their Battle.net customers.

They loved the whole Warcraft universe and had considerable backstory written for it that they had not used but felt they could use really well in a 3D environment.

The cartoony graphics which I despise they carried over to keep the look of previous Warcraft game characters.  So..I forgive them now, rofl.

They made it so you could just start playing without assigning skills and points, thinking this would confuse very new mmorpg players.  Much of their thinking was geared to...how can we make this appealing and suck you in, my little noobulous....  The UI, which others, including allegedly LOTRO are copying in part, is designed to be simple and intuitive, as much as possible.

It appears, they looked at everything they liked about what they had done themselves, and stole choice best bits from other games, and wrapped it into their presentation.  Add in clever marketing and WOW, off they went.

So...if LOTRO takes it hugely appealing IP, and takes the best from their own gaming history, things they are enthusiastic about and love, and if they go ahead and look around for successful ideas elsewhere, yes they can be a great success.

I don't see that it is necessary for them to out-WOW  WOW, or anyone else, they just need to go in solidly, do what they do best in gaming.  Just as with WOW, maybe it isn't any one thing they do right, but a series of things they put together well that will draw people to Middle Earth.

Just a thoughtimage

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

LOTRO is probably going to be a big sucsess....but let me just say that if you hate wow you are probably going to hate this one too.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Originally posted by baphamet

LOTRO is probably going to be a big sucsess....but let me just say that if you hate wow you are probably going to hate this one too.

Trust me, this game is gonna be a huge flop. DDO will have more accounts. I want this game to be a huge hit as Ive followed it for 8 years and am a big tolkien fan. But I got to play it at E3 and it plain sucks.

Its a clone of WoW but not a very good one. WoW's combat is fun, LOTR's is boring and ugly to watch. WoW's UI is easy to use while LOTR is similiar-looking but missing some stuff to make it great. LOTR is also a very small game and you will quickly run out of places to explore.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

I wholeheartedly agree! But that may be because it was my first MMO. Truly though, DAoC did so many things right that so many MMOs are missing out on. And I also agree on being sick of WoW UI clones and dumbed down MMOs.

The WoW UI isn't the "best possible UI" I personally think it looks horrible, and isn't as easy as some other systems I've seen. However, due to WoW's popularity, and it being the first MMO of the next generation of subscribers (mostly the dumb ones who have never had a dard MMO to play) many MMOs will now shape their UI around WoW. It rankles deep and I hate it. It's not a good UI, it's just familiar.

Also with WoW's simplicity making it so popular, many games are being dumbed down the SECOND someon says "too hard!" for fear of losing customers. Maybe LotrO, Vanguard, or Conan can bring back some spice. EVE had the right idea.

• therock3000therock3000 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    hell.. after the harry potter movie series are over, i want them to make  Harry Potter Online RPG! image
  • DbossmonDbossmon Member Posts: 10
    Hay Bro MMO and this interface have been out way before WoW did, Infact what didnt wow take from other popular MMO's, Each MMO takes idea's from others, The Best MMO's Lead the way in content and inivation. Why do you think its taking WOW this long to release its first expansion, Duh.. its because its waiting for the other Big MMO's to release their new expansion packs. image

• Dark-AsylumDark-Asylum Member Posts: 300
    Like someone said, the WoW UI is intuitive and clean and is actually really good.

• YanariYanari Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by therock3000

hell.. after the harry potter movie series are over, i want them to make  Harry Potter Online RPG!
    I'd actually be shocked if this doesn't happen.
  • RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159

Dark age of Camelot  is by far the most fun game ive played after you hit max lvl. It was really exciting and felt more like an adventure.

World of no (war)craft  was not bad untill you hit max lvl then it turns into nothing but an item grind game. All there ever going to add to wow is more and more items for you to farm for.

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile