Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new player, wizard questions

wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

I plan to pick up EoF and atm i am interested in playing a Dwarf Wizard. In past mmos ive always been a dwarf who uses a 2handed axe but the idea of a dwarf wizard... sounds cool indeed. Questions

A) in past mmos race plays a major role in stats, is a dwarf wizard gimp?

B) are wizards needed in end game raids? what are there primary role(s)?

C) how are the end game wizard spells? meaning, are they cool looking? do they change over time (as in, as you get stronger does there visual effects change?).

D) i notice there is a zerker but hes a tank?? zerkers dont use 2handed weapons? (my guess is there sword and shield onry)

well thats about it, i played a dwarf wizzy in the island trial and it was neat, really cool.

Rites of the Four Horsemen
http://www.rotfh.com

Comments

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

Wow I didnt even know a Dwarf could be a Wizard. I'm like you in that I like to play something thats a bit odd. Like the time I made a Gnome warrior in the game WoW.

Now I'm a Noob to EQ 2 but from reading other posts I've learned that Race attributes only have an impact on the lower levels. Once you break level 20 or so the attribute adjustments you get from your equipment make up for the difference. So I imagine that while you are in the lower levels, the lower Int will have a small impact on your mana bank.

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328
    I have been reading the same thing Dark, It seems from reading on the other board, that for a single stat class its easier at the end. So as i understand dwarf wizard would just have to go ape with int gear.... Dwarf wizard just looks cool to me lol.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

There are races with better stats for Wizard then Dwarf, however this is not going to make or break your character.  Once you get to higher levels and have 500 int, the 10 int lost by choosing to play a dwarf is not going to be that noticeable. 

Wizards are a pure DPS class.  The are intended to be about even with Rangers Assassins and Warlocks as the best overall DPS classes in the game and generally manage to do so.  Their weakness is that they don’t have much in the way of hate reduction.  This means they need the support of classes that can reduce the hate they generate or they will get agro.  Wizards are not a “must have” raid class but they are welcome in most raids for their DPS.  There is a few of them around so sometimes there is competition for raid slots.

Wizard spells are great, but they don’t get some of their key spell lines until later in the game.  In particular they get fusion at level 65, Ice Comet at level 50, and it’s upgrade Ice Nova at level 70.  When used with the Catalyst AA Ice Nova can hit for more then 25K damage and fusion can hit for almost 30K.  I like the casting animations, but some of the actual spell effects could be better.

Not only are Berserkers tanks but as Warriors they have some of the best defenses in the game.  They are probably the best all round tank in the game but rank slightly behind Guardians for raid tanking.  They are more offensively minded then Guardians and certainly can use 2H or duel wield when they are in a DPS role.  For tanking tough dungeons you are still going to want to go with 1H and a shield. 

A well geared Berserker can get close the DPS of a Wizard when the Wizard has no hate reduction because both are going to be limited by the amount of hate the main tank can generate.  Give the Wizard hate reduction and they will produce at least 50% more damage the Berserker. 

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

"There is a few of them around so sometimes there is competition for raid slots."

is it as bad as the warrior in wow? (lol)

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

That comment was for Wizards, but it could be equally true of Warriors (Guardians/Berserkers) almost every raid has several but they are some of the most commonly played classes they are not a lock to make it into a raid by any means. 

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Originally posted by lomiller
    That comment was for Wizards, but it could be equally true of Warriors (Guardians/Berserkers) almost every raid has several but they are some of the most commonly played classes they are not a lock to make it into a raid by any means. 
    From what I've heard, good classes for getting into raids are: Defiler, Coercer, Brigand, Troubadour, Mystic and Dirge. A few classes have alot of difficulty securing raid spots - for example monks and bruisers.

Caveat - my characters are all a long way from the sort of levels where raiding is a regular passtime, so all this information is second hand. Also the new expansion includes some fairly major changes to the endgame mechanics, and so this may alter class balance.
  • shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Originally posted by wyzwun

I plan to pick up EoF and atm i am interested in playing a Dwarf Wizard. In past mmos ive always been a dwarf who uses a 2handed axe but the idea of a dwarf wizard... sounds cool indeed. Questions
    A) in past mmos race plays a major role in stats, is a dwarf wizard gimp?
    Don't worry about race/stats with EQ2 as they have very little effect over time. Any race can be just about any class, depending on the good/bad thing. But Dwarf Wizard is certainly not an issue and you'll be just as good as a smilarly geared Wood Elf Wizard.
    B) are wizards needed in end game raids? what are there primary role(s)?
    Wizards are needed and used throughout the game, primary role is of course DD, they are in top 3 single target Damage but can do a respectful amount of AOE. They can also help with Mana recharge and offer some crowd control in a pinch.
    Warlocks are the opus of the Wizard, while they offer very solid single target DD, they excel at AOE damage in a scary way. This can sometimes carry favor with some end game raids and groups as very often you have to sift through large amounts of mobs.
    C) how are the end game wizard spells? meaning, are they cool looking? do they change over time (as in, as you get stronger does there visual effects change?).
    Most of the spells and effects in EQ2 look alike throughout the game, it's a big pet peve of mine although that being said, Wizards get some pretty kick ass spells later in game around 50, 60 and 70. They look good and can really lay on the damage.
    D) i notice there is a zerker but hes a tank?? zerkers dont use 2handed weapons? (my guess is there sword and shield onry)
    Unfortunately I don't know much about Zerks, as someone who played a Warden to 60+  I do know that they are great tanks when used properly and put a surprise amount of dmg. From friends I know who play them, they are a more offensive minded tank and are a little tricky to play, probably not ideal for a first class.
    well thats about it, i played a dwarf wizzy in the island trial and it was neat, really cool.

Of course, best advise I can always give is pick a class you like and go with it, don't worry to much about whether there's alot of them or whether you'll be able to get into every single raid. Pick a class you enjoy, play it, get to know it and have fun with it.

It's a long game, if your going through that with a class you didn't quite find right for you or your second guessing yourself because of your choice, it's just not worth it. Besides, raid leaders will always choose someone who is enthusiastic about their class over someone who is just there to min/max.

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

From what I've heard, good classes for getting into raids are: Defiler, Coercer, Brigand, Troubadour, Mystic and Dirge. A few classes have alot of difficulty securing raid spots - for example monks and bruisers.

Caveat - my characters are all a long way from the sort of levels where raiding is a regular passtime, so all this information is second hand.

Well I raid on a regular basis and we always want monks and bruisers along for the ride.  Mainly for their ability to feign death and prevent a total raid wipe.  They are also some very fine damage dealers and a well-geared monk can off-tank quite well too. With all that going for them , they are very welcome in our raid groups.  The only class we don't usually invite a lot of are guardians.  We usually have only one guardian , who is the main tank.   All other classes are well liked and invited, each one for their unique abilities that add to the success of the raid.  

Berserkers make very good raid tanks, by the way.  In my guild we have our guardian as the usual Main tank, but a berserker as off-tank and often when the guardian can't come, he does main tanking as well.