Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 Content?

DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531
I've never played EQ2 in any form but Trial of the Isle and I'm
strongly considering grabbing EoF next week. While I am sure I will
enjoy the leveling experience, I do have to wonder. I quit playing WoW
several months ago because of lack of content. EQ2 seems to cater to
the same market, so I have to ask: what unique content appears in EQ2?
What is there to this game besides quests? What content(not game
mechanics) seperate EQ2 from WoW?

I've read plenty of EQ2 vs. WoW arguements but most people cite
community, graphics, 40 vs. 24 person raiding and lore while skirting
the important issue of content. No need to mention the deity system but
I appreciate anything that can seperate the two games to make my next
Gamestop visit an easy decision.

Comments

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

Really you just answered your own question . The only real difference for me was the game mechanics and the graphics when you get to the nuts and bolts of it.

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

I have to ask you this so I can better understand your question...What do you mean by content?

To me content means storyline, quests, NPC's to talk with, and locations to explore.  If that is what you are looking for then EQ2 has a great deal of all of those things. 

If that is NOT what you are looking for, then what exactly IS it you are looking for? 

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by avatar6572
    I've never played EQ2 in any form but Trial of the Isle and I'm strongly considering grabbing EoF next week. While I am sure I will enjoy the leveling experience, I do have to wonder. I quit playing WoW several months ago because of lack of content. EQ2 seems to cater to the same market, so I have to ask: what unique content appears in EQ2? What is there to this game besides quests? What content(not game mechanics) seperate EQ2 from WoW?

I've read plenty of EQ2 vs. WoW arguements but most people cite community, graphics, 40 vs. 24 person raiding and lore while skirting the important issue of content. No need to mention the deity system but I appreciate anything that can seperate the two games to make my next Gamestop visit an easy decision.

If you didn't like WoW, chances are big you won't like EQ2 either. EQ2 has some extra intresting features, like a housing system. but like a previous poster said, when you get to the core, its roughly the same like WoW.
  • DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

Originally posted by Xandrya
     I have to ask you this so I can better understand your question...What do you mean by content? To
    me content means storyline, quests, NPC's to talk with, and locations
    to explore.  If that is what you are looking for then EQ2 has a
    great deal of all of those things.  If that is NOT what you are looking for, then what exactly IS it you are looking for? 

It's not so much that I'm not interested in these things. What I'm
    interested in learning about is unique content. WoW has story, quests,
    NPCs, and locations and I imagine EQ2 handles them just as well.
    Content for me are the activities in the game that occupy my time. This
    includes raiding, questing, crafting, events (which I know EQ2 has but
    don't know how fun they are), house decorating, etc. With the exception
    of house decorating, WoW has all of these same features so I don't
    consider them unique content. I apologize for not being more specific.

Now WoW is a good game. I played it for a good 4-5 months but the
    content available at level 60 is raiding, battlegrounds, and now world
    PvP and in my opinion, all are handled poorly. But for 4-5 months I
    enjoyed my time and I imagine EQ2 will last at least as long. What I
    would like to know is what, if anything, I have to look forward to
    besides the same game mechanics in a different setting.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    There's tons of content. And new content is being added monthly and new adventure packs and expansion packs about every 6 months. You won't get bored. Unless you're like some people who prefer WoW. EQ2 is nothing at all like WoW.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

I have to ask you this so I can better understand your question...What do you mean by content?
    To me content means storyline, quests, NPC's to talk with, and locations to explore.  If that is what you are looking for then EQ2 has a great deal of all of those things. 
    If that is NOT what you are looking for, then what exactly IS it you are looking for? 

It's not so much that I'm not interested in these things. What I'm interested in learning about is unique content. WoW has story, quests, NPCs, and locations and I imagine EQ2 handles them just as well. Content for me are the activities in the game that occupy my time. This includes raiding, questing, crafting, events (which I know EQ2 has but don't know how fun they are), house decorating, etc. With the exception of house decorating, WoW has all of these same features so I don't consider them unique content. I apologize for not being more specific.

Now WoW is a good game. I played it for a good 4-5 months but the content available at level 60 is raiding, battlegrounds, and now world PvP and in my opinion, all are handled poorly. But for 4-5 months I enjoyed my time and I imagine EQ2 will last at least as long. What I would like to know is what, if anything, I have to look forward to besides the same game mechanics in a different setting.

wow and eq2 are roughly 2 different fantasy mmo's not even sure how to compare them, maybe this may help, wow=checkers(everyone can play checkers its not very deep doesnt take much thought, very easy,

EQ2=chess (chess is more indepth and takes thought to play, not everyone can get chess) there both played on a checkered bored and that checkered bored is the fantasy that both  use as a playing field.

playing eq2 and two worlds

It's not so much that I'm not interested in these things. What I'm interested in learning about is unique content. WoW has story, quests, NPCs, and locations and I imagine EQ2 handles them just as well. Content for me are the activities in the game that occupy my time. This includes raiding, questing, crafting, events (which I know EQ2 has but don't know how fun they are), house decorating, etc. With the exception of house decorating, WoW has all of these same features so I don't consider them unique content. I apologize for not being more specific.

Now WoW is a good game. I played it for a good 4-5 months but the content available at level 60 is raiding, battlegrounds, and now world PvP and in my opinion, all are handled poorly. But for 4-5 months I enjoyed my time and I imagine EQ2 will last at least as long. What I would like to know is what, if anything, I have to look forward to besides the same game mechanics in a different setting.

well the activities in eq2 during quests make you do some fairly unique things, like scale walls, jump off of the cloud while its moving to get an out of the way npc, moving boxes to climb to locations and moving these boxes around, exploding barrels to get through walls, running statues and placing them on the right pedestals in poets palace was one of my favorites, this allowed a boss to spawn when you strategically put the gold, copper, and platinum statues onto the correct coresponding pedastals. theres more but to truly experience them play the game.

Originally posted by boognish75
     I have to ask you this so I can better understand your question...What do you mean by content? To me content means storyline, quests, NPC's to talk with, and locations to explore.  If that is what you are looking for then EQ2 has a great deal of all of those things.  If that is NOT what you are looking for, then what exactly IS it you are looking for? 

wow and eq2 are roughly 2 different fantasy mmo's not even sure how to compare them, maybe this may help, wow=checkers(everyone can play checkers its not very deep doesnt take much thought, very easy,

EQ2=chess (chess is more indepth and takes thought to play, not everyone can get chess) there both played on a checkered bored and that checkered bored is the fantasy that both  use as a playing field.

What a great way to put it. Well said.

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

well the
    activities in eq2 during quests make you do some fairly unique things,
    like scale walls, jump off of the cloud while its moving to get an out
    of the way npc, moving boxes to climb to locations and moving these
    boxes around, exploding barrels to get through walls, running statues
    and placing them on the right pedestals in poets palace was one of my
    favorites, this allowed a boss to spawn when you strategically put the
    gold, copper, and platinum statues onto the correct coresponding
    pedastals. theres more but to truly experience them play the game.

So there's not necessarily more unique types of content per say, but the content that it shares with WoW is more unique itself?

EQ2=chess
    (chess is more indepth and takes thought to play, not everyone can get
    chess) there both played on a checkered bored and that checkered bored
    is the fantasy that both  use as a playing field.

This doesn't really say anything about EQ2. It's like telling someone
    chess has more depth without explaining the difference between how
    checker and chess pieces move. From what I gathered reading forums,
    interviews, and reviews they are both chess sets with a different
    colored board.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Hehehe, I'm sorry, I mean I like EQ2 and all but chess?

I certainly don't think one game is better then the other, both are very well done IMO but I think calling one a more "intelligent" version is just silly. Different, yes for sure but EQ2 is the "chess" of nothing. While it's certainly rich with features, at it's core it's still a very easy, simple game. You have support, dd and tanks, you tank, heal and dd and uh... done.

Quests can be done within an hour in most casses, some take longer but that's more designed to be a time sink then it is actual fun play time, same idea as WoW.

Nothing wrong with that but yeah sorry, I don't see the comparison at all.

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267

Originally posted by shae

I certainly don't think one game is better then the other, both are very well done IMO but I think calling one a more "intelligent" version is just silly. Different, yes for sure but EQ2 is the "chess" of nothing. While it's certainly rich with features, at it's core it's still a very easy, simple game. You have support, dd and tanks, you tank, heal and dd and uh... done.

Quests can be done within an hour in most casses, some take longer but that's more designed to be a time sink then it is actual fun play time, same idea as WoW.

actually i would say it fits perfectly.  sry, but i know elderly ladies that play WOW, but cant figure out how a to set the time on a microwave. lol.

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

In a nutshell...WoW caters to the general public. It wasn't designed for the serious gamer. What Blizzard did was make a game that contains tasks that are easy to overcome and you are constantly rewarded for overcoming them. Equipment is extravagant and colorful also at low levels. That is why you see the most unlikely people playing the game. People like housewives, grandparents, etc... Alot of people think of it as a chat room with graphics.

EQ 2 on the other hand was designed for the serious mmo gamer. The crafting system is much more indepth than WoW's. The quests are more of a challenge. You have the "Heroic Opportunities" system for combat. Equipment looks more realistic and less "wild". EQ 2 is a game for people who like the fantasy universe. Thats why you see more roleplaying in EQ 2 than in WoW.

Bottomline... Both games are great. I spent 2 years of my life playing WoW and had a great time. But if you're a real fan of fantasy mmo gaming then EQ 2 is the long term game for you.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    I would say that they are basically similar in that they feature levels, classes, questing and the like.

EQ2 is harder than WoW, and slower.  There is more group content in EQ2 (throughout the game) than in WoW ... WoW is designed so that a player can level all the way to 60 solo, and EQ2 certainly is not.  EQ2's crafting is more involved, and things are simply put not as "easy" as in WoW.

The world of EQ2 has a more serious feel to it than WoW's does.  Blizzard has its famous sense of humour about its own games scattered throughout WoW, from some jokes built into quests, to whole regions that are basically an allusion to another game (Un'Goro Crater, for example), inside references to other games, and the character jokes.  Blizzard has a light-hearted approach, and it can be pretty entertaining at times, even at the expense of immersion -- Blizzard has a sense of humour about the world it has created and the genre as well.  You won't find any of that in EQ2.  EQ2 takes itself seriously from start to finish.   There isn't much, if any, humour in the game.  There is a ton of lore (WoW has better lore than it gets credit for as well, even if most of the playerbase ignores it), more indepth quests and so forth, and a tone of seriousness to the entire enterprise.  That encourages more serious roleplaying than is the case in WoW.  It's also reinforced by the graphics, which themselves are serious and realistic, rather than fantastic and whimsical as in WoW.

So I would say that while the nuts and bolts basics are similar, the "feel", the difficulty and the atmosphere are what really distinguishes the two games.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Originally posted by PlanoMM

Originally posted by shae

actually i would say it fits perfectly.  sry, but i know elderly ladies that play WOW, but cant figure out how a to set the time on a microwave. lol.

I didn't say WoW isn't an easy game to play. I was just pointing out, it doesn't take a genious to play EQ2 either.
    this is true. image

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

Originally posted by Gameloading
    I've never played EQ2 in any form but Trial of the Isle and I'm strongly considering grabbing EoF next week. While I am sure I will enjoy the leveling experience, I do have to wonder. I quit playing WoW several months ago because of lack of content. EQ2 seems to cater to the same market, so I have to ask: what unique content appears in EQ2? What is there to this game besides quests? What content(not game mechanics) seperate EQ2 from WoW?

I've read plenty of EQ2 vs. WoW arguements but most people cite community, graphics, 40 vs. 24 person raiding and lore while skirting the important issue of content. No need to mention the deity system but I appreciate anything that can seperate the two games to make my next Gamestop visit an easy decision.
    If you didn't like WoW, chances are big you won't like EQ2 either. EQ2 has some extra intresting features, like a housing system. but like a previous poster said, when you get to the core, its roughly the same like WoW.
    Exactly. Sony took a lot of stuff from wow as well. Zoning sucks too.

• XanrnXanrn Member Posts: 154
    Sony took jack and shet from WoW.

There is nothing new in WoW to steal, its a Frankstein monster of old ideas sewn together and then polished to a Sparkle.

If you want to make stupid statements actually have the brainpower to add a few examples.

Then there is the minor fact Everquest 2 beat WoW to the shops by a good 2/3 weeks.

Zoning sucks? No not really, EQ2 zones fast even on my crapenstein comp.

Originally posted by Xanrn

There is nothing new in WoW to steal, its a Frankstein monster of old ideas sewn together and then polished to a Sparkle.

If you want to make stupid statements actually have the brainpower to add a few examples.

Then there is the minor fact Everquest 2 beat WoW to the shops by a good 2/3 weeks.

Eh ... SOE has changed a TON of things in EQ2 since release to make the game much more solo and casual friendly than it was at release, from the changes to the way death works, to the increase in solo content to the changes to crafting, changes to buying and selling, mail system, etc.  That's clearly a case of the influence of WoW, without doubt.  Smedley himself said in early 2005 that they were going to make changes to make it more casual and solo friendly in light of WoW. 
    lol. Just because SOE made changes to EQ2 to make it more casual and solo friendly doesn't mean WoW is innovative in any way. The two are not related.

There is nothing new in WoW. Everything they've done has been done before. Incidentally, EQ2 is MORE casual and solo friendly but you still can't reach level 50 or 60 in only a couple of weeks like you can in WoW.

WoW is a dissapointment, and its ruined the game world with it's childish simplicity.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Its ok being a loyal fan boy.

Being a lying arrogant twat though.. not so much.

Everyone but you know exactly how much SOE changed in EQ II after the release of WoW and exactly how many ideas they just copied without even changing a small detail. Heck, even the EQ II developers said, in their own forum, they played a lot of WoW in their free time, and saw a lot of things they wished they had done. That you... alone... have missed that really throw "If you want to make stupid statements actually have the brainpower to add a few examples." right back into your face.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

Originally posted by Harafnir

Everyone but you know exactly how much SOE changed in EQ II after the release of WoW and exactly how many ideas they just copied without even changing a small detail. Heck, even the EQ II developers said, in their own forum, they played a lot of WoW in their free time, and saw a lot of things they wished they had done. That you... alone... have missed that really throw "If you want to make stupid statements actually have the brainpower to add a few examples." right back into your face.

That was rude. And no, he's not wrong, he's right. Logic sucks doesn't it?

Btw, you're reported for name calling. Because apparently mommy didn't tell you that calling people "fan boy" and a "lying arrogant twat" is rude.

i play EQII, i dont play WOW.

i have played both.  WoW is just what some1 has mentioned, a frankinstein monster.  its the chutes and ladders of MMOs.

EQII did in fact, change several things to make it more appealing to the WOW audience.  but the bottomline is that EQII was original in many aspects, and has added several new and inovative expansions to keep the gameworld fresh and new.

WOW is still working on its first expansion, hopefully for the WOW crowd it will add some originallity to the game.  im not knocking WOW or praising EQII.  im just clearing up some misinformations that have been set forth.

We obviously have reps. from both games reading and responding to this thread.  theres no reason for namecalling and flaming one another.  if u cant come up with a better way of getting ur point across without putting some1 else down, then plz dont bother.  this is a EQII forum, and the EQiI community is a mature group that want adult convos.  tyvm for reading.

Originally posted by Harafnir

i play both and i agree that wow is nothing like eq2 AT ALL, wow is much more user friendly and caters to the general populice, eq2 is a little more complicated than wow , some people like complicated things and some people dont, it all depends on my mood, if i want to do quests or kill things with one or 2 buttons and not think i play wow, if im in the mood to do a labrynth and find keys and open locked doors i play eq2.

• CelebrityCelebrity Member Posts: 1

I grew up reading DragonLance novels, playing D&D dice, and drooling over the artwork of Larry Elmore.

EQ II is more enjoyable IF your imagination has developed past the initial stages of saturday morning cartoons.

<edited for missing link of www.LarryElmore.com>

Originally posted by Moirae
    lol. Just because SOE made changes to EQ2 to make it more casual and solo friendly doesn't mean WoW is innovative in any way. The two are not related.

There is nothing new in WoW. Everything they've done has been done before. Incidentally, EQ2 is MORE casual and solo friendly but you still can't reach level 50 or 60 in only a couple of weeks like you can in WoW.

WoW is a dissapointment, and its ruined the game world with it's childish simplicity.

My point is that the influence of WoW can be seen in the changes made to EQ2 post-release.  It's fine to hate WoW if you want, that's not my concern.  I only want to point out that WoW has clearly influenced changes that were made to EQ2 ... the dev team has practically admitted as much.

As for WoW and innovation, this is often lost on gamers, but WoW's main innovation was to take the previously small market of MMO games and make it a mass market by designing an MMO that would appeal to the mass market.  That's their innovation.  It's an innovation that is loathed by more "serious" gamers, because the game wasn't designed for them ... but the concept of designing an MMO for the mass market and succeeding at it as well as Blizzard has was pretty innovative and lots of people in 2002 and 2003 would have had trouble believing Blizzard could get so many people to pay to play an MMO.  That's the innovation of WoW, and it's been the most influential innovation in online gaming over the past few years.