Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Update 29: Combat

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Sony Online Entertainment's EverQuest II has released information about the changes coming to the combat system in the upcoming Game Update #29.

Game Update #29 is approaching quickly and we’re going to be improving the combat system. To check out all the changes and to let us know what your thoughts are, please visit this thread on the EverQuest II Forums.

For more on EQII click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780
    If I read that right, it will now be even harder for low level characters to hurt higher level characters...or am I completely out of the loop and mitigation doesn't affect PvP? 

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Well, well, well...what do we have here?? 

The EQ2 CU ???

I guess the EQ2 NGE can't be too far behind .....LOL

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566
    these changes change the numbers you see in your stats window but they are in now way anthing like the SWG CU. The game still plays like it did before (i have a char in EOF beta and from playing you do not notice any real differences, and yes i can say that i have a char on beta cause te NDA allready was lifted some time ago).

What this change does is it removes the problem that most raiding chars allready had at least 1 stat over the cap in raids or good groups. And even characters in nonraid gear could reach stat caps, so these cpas were too low.
    It also might make some other items more desireable than before, and some items less desireable.

But overall the game still plays like it did before the change and you do not notice any major differences (maybe a mob got slightly harder and another one got slightly easier).

on the other question about pvp i cannot say much, i never really play eq2 pvp and also have not played on beta  pvp server so cannot compare here. But i can remember that somewhere in the past (i think short after pvp release) they changed mitigation, resists and avoidance to work slightly different in pvp than in pve so this might still be true.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    There have been so many changes in EQ2 since I left, I'm really tempted
    to go back just to test them. A lot of them look like things which will
    enhance gameplay for me (like being able to make coffee in the game
    faster than in real life).

Only problem is I don't have enough time. A month off work would really
    help. But I'm still really tempted, and will probably go back some time
    in the coming months.

• BodyARTBodyART Member UncommonPosts: 14
    You know that with any attempt on SoE's side to relay all the details, there are going to be those who panic or just use the opportunity to lash out more at SoE.  Although I agree 100% with anything negative said reguarding Star Wars Galaxies after the NGE hit, and after I spent months attempting to get used to it fruitlessly, I still see far more good with the EQ2 changes then bad.

I've been playing these new combat changes (or at least a portion of them), for some time now in the Echoes of Faydwer beta.  I had my level 58 fury and 70 zerker copied over to the beta server so I know how it will affect the characters I play day-in day-out. 

The most visible changes were the removal of fizzle and the safefall changes.  Fizzling has been replaced by the WoW recast mechanic, and I say cheers to that! although I'm now conditioned to automatically queue up other spells to replace the fizzled one, it'll take time for me to adapt. but I'm happy with that change.

The fear over falling is unfounded.  I noticed I could fall far more than 2x the old distance with my fury to get the same damage I'd rack up in current live EQ2.  If anything, they did that to compensate for the new race being immune to falling damage.  I chose to test it with my fury as she doesn't have safe-fall to begin with.

To be completely honest, I didn't even notice the mitigation changes until after I spent  a good deal of time hunting and exploring. and the discovery was casually glancing at my numbers and saw they were different. I way playing and didn't notice anything different. So by Lowering mitigation uniformly it pretty much has no affect that I noticed.

I think the SoE team is doing a good job with EQ2.  Lots have been changed, and a large amount of those changes are for the good.  If you don't like change in general, maybe EQ2 isn't for you.  I've been a player since Nov 8th, 2004, and I love the game now more than i did then.  I reccomend anyone thinking of coming back for EoF to do so, especially if you haven't bought the previous expansion packs. it's a great value!

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202
    My question iis that they said they are lowering all damage and armor mitigation for players AND adjusting the monsters down to size... what's the freaking point of lowering them in the first place? PvP issues?

Instead of 50 - 10 it's now 25 - 5, either way you're still taking 1/5th away from the whole... you're back to where you started, no changes accept the visual numbers. The only reason to do that would be to say you did some sort of work for a paycheck.

SOE has just had a hobby of lowering numbers whenever they can. It's like their addiction, after a few weeks they just gotta downscale something. image
  • ??????????????