Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well now we have some information

As said from the interviewer at MMORPG.com they had a chance to test it from level 1-10.  Saying it's un-innovative and so far clone-ish of other MMORPG's, but still completely addictive like world of warcraft was for most in the early levels and such.  What are your guys thoughts on this?

Archon @ Warhammer Alliance

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    The addictive part remains to be seen. The part about innovation is very true. The only things so far unique about this game is PvMP.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    They are right on.   Playing LOTR is like playing any other mmorpg, there is ZERO innovation.  Go kill 10 wolves, go gather 10 wood stick....   and for me it doesnt even feel like i'm playing in the LOTR at all, it feel just like any other generic fantasy mmorpg.   As far as being addictive well, i guess it depends on every person, but personally that game is far from addictive cause i feel like i already done all that in previous games.
  • FarnikFarnik Member Posts: 35
    What I was dissapointed about is the constant complaint of charactor creation. In most of the reviews that have come from the same event, they complain that LOTRO has very, VERY limited charactor creation! image
    I really hope they fix it.
    And as for being cloneish to other MMORPGs... the devs have said this many, MANY times: "We aren't re-inventing the wheel here."

• XpheyelXpheyel Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 704

"Turbine has done a magnificent job of making a polished and content-laden MMO experience in a setting no one can stand up to."

Absolution. At least in my opinion. This wasn't ever going to be able to be Shadowbane, the lore can't withstand decimating Lorien and turning it into an Orc bastion. The real point is that it isn't DDO version 2 like some have been intimating. Sadly, like most of the previews, they mostly touch on what in Anarchy Online was the newbie island where your shuttle crashes after being shot down by aliens. A population controlled start up instance where you do the tutorials. Plus it was groupless and didn't go very far into the primary storyline.

• CalgoreCalgore Member Posts: 25
    That review killed some of my hopes about the game. The review didn't include story though, so maybe that will be amazing and make the game more interesting.

• johnhartsonjohnhartson Member Posts: 19
    I read there are not more than 10% go kill 10 wolves, go gather 10 wxood stick quests in the game. IN an interview with executive producer jeffrey steefel. They call them fedex quests. Certainly hope they do something about character creation that should be one of their main concerns now i guess.

• RK-MaraRK-Mara Member Posts: 641
    Remember that the game is still on early beta stage. I think it was mistake to let MMORPG.com test it already now.
    Surely loads of things are unfinished, for example character creation.

• johnhartsonjohnhartson Member Posts: 19
    Hm i dont find it a mistake to let them test already. So expierienced mmorpg players, testers can judge on what it is now and can make remarks on what could be improved. The earlier they know the reaction of the crowd how better. Now they can still make character customization more expansive.  

• XukiiXukii Member Posts: 8

Im not overly worried about the portrayed lack of character customisation, sure it would fun to play around with the faces a bit but anything more complex than that (particularly body mass and height changes) can ruin how the armour textures fit and gives less options for devs on how detailed they can be. if Turbine have implemented a varied wardrobe of outfits and armours one can get during the game that will be adequate for me.

Great preview btw. thx

• tomfred81tomfred81 Member Posts: 31
    I'll go one step farther, but have to choose my words carefully if you know what i mean....the lack of innovation doesn't stop at lvl 10...its just boring...another mmo with a lotr skin slapped on it.  Let's just say if I'm playing a game I don't want to have to force myself to play...I don't want to have to dread double clicking on the icon on my desktop...I want to look forward to playing it.

I love LOTR.  I know there are a lot of people out there who love it as well, and have read all the books and seen all the movies like I have.  I just feel bad for the people who are going to delude  themselves into saying LOTRO is a good game just because its LOTR and they love Tolkien's Middle Earth.  It's NOT good.  The books are great, the movies are great, the lore is great, this game is NOT.  You can still love LOTR and not be deceived by this game.

This is coming from both an avid LOTR fan but also an avid video game fan.  If you love LOTR and know nothing about video games, you might love LOTRO.  If you love video games, but know nothing about LOTR, you probably will curse yourself for blowing $50 on this game at release.   And well, I'm both and it's nothing worth my time or money.

Originally posted by tomfred81
    I'll go one step farther, but have to choose my words carefully if you know what i mean....the lack of innovation doesn't stop at lvl 10...its just boring...another mmo with a lotr skin slapped on it.  Let's just say if I'm playing a game I don't want to have to force myself to play...I don't want to have to dread double clicking on the icon on my desktop...I want to look forward to playing it.

I love LOTR.  I know there are a lot of people out there who love it as well, and have read all the books and seen all the movies like I have.  I just feel bad for the people who are going to delude  themselves into saying LOTRO is a good game just because its LOTR and they love Tolkien's Middle Earth.  It's NOT good.  The books are great, the movies are great, the lore is great, this game is NOT.  You can still love LOTR and not be deceived by this game.

This is coming from both an avid LOTR fan but also an avid video game fan.  If you love LOTR and know nothing about video games, you might love LOTRO.  If you love video games, but know nothing about LOTR, you probably will curse yourself for blowing $50 on this game at release.   And well, I'm both and it's nothing worth my time or money.

Please don't listen to possible NDA breaker. We can't know if it's even true what he says.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    The only way to have any thoughts on the game to the level that the
    reviewer gave would be to have played the game. Since the game is still
    in closed beta no one can give their thoughts on the game play.

In a few months it will be open and people can say whatever they want.
    Until then I think people should respect the agreement they made and
    base their comments on public information and not personal experience.

• pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 14
    "Turbine has done a magnificent job of making a polished and content-laden MMO experience in a setting no one can stand up to."

Couldn't agree more with that. To those losing hope, don't. It's a great game :)  

• gamer279gamer279 Member Posts: 53
    All fantasy mmo's are relatively similar to wow. I wouldn't worry about it. I think the big difference between Lotro and other mmo's is that it is "the lord of the rings" and u cant copy that.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by pbradish

Couldn't agree more with that. To those losing hope, don't. It's a great game :)  

I think that's a matter of opinion. And, unless you've played it, you can't possibly know. Don't rely on anything that comes from Turbine about it. The information that comes from Turbine is naturally biased because they're trying to sell their game.

Wait until the NDA is lifted and then ask those who've been playing what they think. Because until that time, you won't know the truth one way or another.

• Archon2021Archon2021 Member Posts: 51
    I like what most people have been saying its good discussion.
    Heres my opinion:

When I read the LotRO review, I thought more and more about the game, I enjoy PvE a lot but I do not enjoy high-end raiding.  I will be playing WAR for the great RvR experience and LotRO for the PvE.  I personally dont care if they add new innovative technology into the game, I played WoW from 1-60 and I enjoyed it right up until the end when you finally realize there is nothing to do but raid.  So, them saying it was sort of on the lines of that generic fantasy mmo-grinding with stunning visuals gives me a good feeling.  Some people may or may not like this but I did, at least for other games.  So from what I have read I am definately going to be playing this, but because it does lack a huge pvp concept, being orcs vs human etc.. It for sure wont be my only game.

• SealcowSealcow Member Posts: 10
    I think it was an excellent preview, by the way, and was VERY
    influenced toward this game by it.  Regardless, I find it
    interesting that topics about this game so often stimultaneously
    condemn the lack of appearance options (as if you ever actually see
    your own face under your helmed) and talk as if they are massive mmo
    veterans who are just looking down on another generic clone mmo. 
    Seems like people would either critisize it for it's practicality as
    genre breaking or criticize it for it's role-playing components, not
    both.  And I can't stand people who break NDA, as if anyone would
    ever break NDA for any reason other than to complain.  You can't
    trust NDA breakers, they are by nature the whiners.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

Originally posted by Calgore
    That review killed some of my hopes about the game. The review didn't include story though, so maybe that will be amazing and make the game more interesting.

I don't pay much attention to reviews, I like to find out for myself whether or not I like something. I have seen too many reviews that praise a game that I ended up hating or playing a game that got bad reviews that I ended up liking a lot.
  • Archon2021Archon2021 Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by RainStar
    Originally posted by Calgore
    I don't pay much attention to reviews, I like to find out for myself whether or not I like something. I have seen too many reviews that praise a game that I ended up hating or playing a game that got bad reviews that I ended up liking a lot.

Very true in my opinion aswell.  This game is still in alpha, much will be changed and im sure of it.

Early beta actually.

• cholla84cholla84 Member Posts: 6
    Great preview but I'm sure there will be more to the game before its out!