Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to possibly start playing EQ2 have some questions

MizabMizab Member Posts: 149

I have been talking to a few people and reading things and EQ2 is maybe sounding like the game for me I have a few questions though if could be answered.

Is it possible to get to max lvl pure solo and if so would it be enjoyable or like doing real work?

I read about that you can buy items from sony. Is this a decent option for getting good stuff and money like do they sell good items at all too compete with like high end. I am not too worried about prices just if best stuff can be bought?

How easy would it be for a new player to game with one getting used to it and how accpeting are players and guilds would I have like a hard time or easy time?

Anything else that would help in decision and thanks for any help or advice can give.

Comments

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

you can definitely max level solo

without knowing what you enjoy I cant say if it would be work or not.  It would be much faster doing raids and/or grouping, but if what you enjoy is soloing then this isnt a factor 

Im not familiar with the exchange server so I cant comment.

new players can easily get into guilds with hardly any effort.  people are always rolling alts, I pick up new players here and there all the time without them even searching us out.  if a player makes an effort they will find a guild who will be more than happy to take him/her and their alts. 

if you plan on buying the game, but it when the expansion comes out next week.  Nov. 14.  If you are a social person, id suggest a roleplaying server.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Think ray said it best.

• MizabMizab Member Posts: 149

Hey thanks a lot for all the good info. I am downloading the demo right now going to see how it is and maybe buy it the 14th

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by Mizab

I have been talking to a few people and reading things and EQ2 is maybe sounding like the game for me I have a few questions though if could be answered.
    Is it possible to get to max lvl pure solo and if so would it be enjoyable or like doing real work?
    Yes, it can be done, im nearly there myself (lvl 68) from about 95% soloing and i have enjoyed it.
    I read about that you can buy items from sony. Is this a decent option for getting good stuff and money like do they sell good items at all too compete with like high end. I am not too worried about prices just if best stuff can be bought?
    On the exchange servers you can buy characters, items, armor etc for cold hard cash.  I wouldnt recommend playing on an exchange server as i think this takes away some of the satisfaction of playing and obtaining stuff yourself.
    How easy would it be for a new player to game with one getting used to it and how accpeting are players and guilds would I have like a hard time or easy time?
    Once you have selected a server, view the server forum over at the official EQ2 site, you usually find posts there re: guilds recruiting.  Additionally once in game you can bring up the guild screen ("U" by default) and this will bring up a list of all recruiting guilds, what they are looking for, who to contact etc etc.
    Anything else that would help in decision and thanks for any help or advice can give.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    For some reason people are neglecting to tell the OP that since EQ2 has raiding, and most raiding drops are not tradeable, you will be a second class citizen if you are a soloer. This is SOE's way of forcing raiding on everyone in order to acquire the best items.The exchange servers can't sell you the raid items unless you buy a preleveled raiding character and then there is no point of playing at all if you do that.

Originally posted by Samuraisword
    For some reason people are neglecting to tell the OP that since EQ2 has raiding, and most raiding drops are not tradeable, you will be a second class citizen if you are a soloer. This is SOE's way of forcing raiding on everyone in order to acquire the best items.The exchange servers can't sell you the raid items unless you buy a preleveled raiding character and then there is no point of playing at all if you do that.

Sorry dude, i dont raid and i have excelent gear, and i solo and i am far from a second class citizen.  You are not forced into raiding as the stuff you may get from a raid is only slightly better than a lot of tradeable stuff.   
  • SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    But you admit that raid items are better and can't be traded and therefore one is forced to raid to acquire them or be content NOT being able to have the best items in the game, not because one lacks skills, but because the mechanics of the game impose raiding. That was my point and it is valid. They should just make everything tradeable so non raiders have the alternative to trade for raid drops.

But you admit that raid items are better and can't be traded and therefore one is forced to raid to acquire them or be content NOT being able to have the best items in the game, not because one lacks skills, but because the mechanics of the game impose raiding. That was my point and it is valid. They should just make everything tradeable so non raiders have the alternative to trade for raid drops.

I would say they are only marginally better and you can live without them.  By not raiding and getting these items doesnt destroy ones enjoyment of the game.  Raid items are not that superior.
  • PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    well said, Flem.

I don't get where people come up with this stuff.

Samuraisword , I've played this game almost since the day it came out. I don't raid. I don't PvP. No, the gear is not better in raiding. Or, if it's at all better, it's such a small amount that it isn't noticable.

You're a WoW child aren't you and you automatically assumed that, because it has raiding, it must be exactly like WoW.

EQ2 isn't even remotely like WoW. It's alot more fun with alot more mature community.

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

Well I am in a guild that raids frequently, at least twice a week.  I have some very nice fabled and legendary gear, and it is quite a bit better than most tradeable gear. 

That said, I would like to point out that if you do not raid, you do not need gear that drops in raids.  I can wear treasured gear and solo, or go to group instances and do very well.  Heck sometimes I do instances wearing a dress that has no stats whatsoever, just because I want to look pretty.

Raid gear is designed for raiding because it increases your resistance to the nasty spells that raid mobs will hit you with as well as your health and power.  You absolutley do not need raid gear if you don't raid because you will not encounter the same type of attacks from non-raid mobs.

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    this is also true.  me experiences in a MMO r like this, raiding is an aspect of the game.  not the end all.

Originally posted by Xandrya
    Well I am in a guild that raids frequently, at least twice a week.  I have some very nice fabled and legendary gear, and it is quite a bit better than most tradeable gear.  That said, I would like to point out that if you do not raid, you do not need gear that drops in raids.  I can wear treasured gear and solo, or go to group instances and do very well.  Heck sometimes I do instances wearing a dress that has no stats whatsoever, just because I want to look pretty.  Raid gear is designed for raiding because it increases your resistance to the nasty spells that raid mobs will hit you with as well as your health and power.  You absolutley do not need raid gear if you don't raid because you will not encounter the same type of attacks from non-raid mobs.
    Well said. And that's exactly as it should be.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by Moirae
    I don't get where people come up with this stuff.

Samuraisword , I've played this game almost since the day it came out. I don't raid. I don't PvP. No, the gear is not better in raiding. Or, if it's at all better, it's such a small amount that it isn't noticable.

I don't disagree with you in principle, but raid stuff can be quite a bit better.  Here is a comparison between some of the more common “top” robes.  There are better, the best of the three is Lunarspun vest, which is a relic drop.  Relics is nice, but it generally isn’t as good as other fabled raid drops.  Only the last robe here is tradable.

Lunarspun Vest:

MIT: 168.

+15 agi +25 sta + 27 int

+110 health + 120 power

+770 vs disease + 840 vs heat

Effect

Reduces reuse time of Ice Nova by 3 seconds.

X'Haviz's Gown of Glory

Mitigation 145

Wisdom,+20 Intelligence+15

Stats +50 Health,+75 Power, ,

+201 vs Cold,+201 vs Fire,+268 vs Magic,

Disruption +4

Effects Clarified Mind(Proc on spell cast 15%)

•Wards caster against 350 points of all damage •Increases power of caster by 3-5

This is the best tradable robe I’ve seen, but it’s better for someone who groups/raids

Raiment Of The Skywatcher

Required Level 60

Mitigation 119

Stats +25 Health,+60 Power,

+11 Stamina,+22 Intelligence,

Disruption +4

Effects Azure Winds(Proc on spell cast 20%)

The Lunarspun Vest is Relic armor which is basically the lowest end raid gear.  

X’Haviv’s drops from the final boss in the nest a level 65 group instance.  It the best non raid chest piece IMI and is obtainable solo by a few people in some classes.  Don’t count on it though, while a few people can solo the nest, most people I’ve seen doing it regularly are 2 boxing and even then both toons need to be well equipped.

IMO, while the power regain and ward on X’Haviv’s is useful in certain cases the Lunarspun is much better overall.  The Rainment is nice but I can't see a reason to wear it over the other two.  All are better then mastercrafted, however.

• MizabMizab Member Posts: 149
    Since people are saying raided gear is better I am wondering if I did ever have the time could I evenautaly start raiding with just tradeable gear for a while and get better stuff or is it like WoW where if you didn't do all the dungeons in order you can't go to the newest ones since your so much weaker?
  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Since people are saying raided gear is better I am wondering if I did ever have the time could I evenautaly start raiding with just tradeable gear for a while and get better stuff or is it like WoW where if you didn't do all the dungeons in order you can't go to the newest ones since your so much weaker?

Except for some specific roles like main tank you can raid in mastercrafted gear and use Adept III spells and not feel out of place.  If you have the money Master I spells can and are traded.

Higher end raiding guilds generally want you to have better but they have their rosters pretty well set anyway.  When they do recruit they will probably be looking for specific classes in which case there is still a chance they will take someone with Mastercrafted/Adept III.  

You can also find pick up raids that farm the trash mobs in the labs for relic drops and get fabled gear that way.  This isn't really for me, but it's a fairly quick way to get relic armor like the vest I shoed above  

Lets not forget, people who raid never had the no trade raid drops before they strated raiding.
  • boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

hmmm some stuf is lore notrade, but i have bought fabled items off of the broker for god amounts of plat, but yeah not all raid drops are non tradeable, only those that are lore-notrade labled, there is a lot of fabled and legendary stuff you can trade and sell.

playing eq2 and two worlds