Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non Raid server - Yes or No?

124»

Comments

• Originally posted by spiritglow
    Originally posted by dragonace
    Originally posted by Neanderthal
    First to Dragonace.  I'm glad you agreed with most of what I said.  The only thing I didn't understand is how you got "lottery" out of "quests and/or dungeon crawls". 
    Sorry about that Neanderthal.  That was my mistake.  I was reading fast, and didn't really pay attention to what you were saying in that paragraph.  I thought you meant like some kind of 6-sided dice roll.  1-in-6 chance of reward.

I went back and see that's not at all what you said or meant. 

I think if they put all the very best loot in group encounters and quests, then there wouldn't really be any point in having raid content at all.  I could live with that, but I'm not really sure that is what you intended.

I guess I am hoping that Vanguard does it this way:

20% solo/casual content : The loot from this area is unique and not available from other areas.
    60% group content: The loot from this area is unique and not available from other areas.
    20% raid content: The loot from this area is unique and not available from other areas.

Items made from crafting is unique as well - and doesn't really figure into these percentages.  It's on top of all the loot from the 3 other areas of content.

No mention of BEST gear there at all.  I would like there not to a single BEST gear for any slot.  There should be hundreds of gear that you would desire for each and every slot - depending on where you are going and what you are fighting.  Each of those hundreds of items should come from all 4 areas (including crafting).  That's what I hope for from Vanguard.

One possible way to deal with the raiding drama would be to make raid gear have the same stats as the best groupable gear but have a unique or different look, a look way better than the solo/group gear.  So the raid uber looter scooper kiddes can brag about their drops but not have better stats. This is done in Guild Wars although there's no raiding. 1mil gear looks radically better than the 10k gear but have same stats

Spiritglow

Sorry, but Guild Wars is the only game with devs that have the balls to do this.  Look at WoW they promised this and then bowed to the neurotics.  Its not gonna happen.  Powergrinders will complain until they get better stuff than what they have and then they will start the complaint cycles over until the get better stuff than what they have.

The idea is perpetual fake progress by ramping up both monster hp and damage while simulataneously increasesing player hp/armor/damage.  Thus allowing peopel to pretend they get better even though they are actually staying exactly the same.  This allows the Devs to never need to balance/do much with the game again and allows the neurotic progression collectors to pretend something is actually happening.  Eveyone is "happy" with the perpetual stasis because they have a nice neat circular reasoning in place for why it actually equates to movement.  And if this faulty reasoning is undermined they go mental, because well they are mental.

These games won't budge from this paradigm.  It is their heart and soul.

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117
    I hope they do provide non-raid servers, just so a certain poster (think we know who) doesnt de-rail every single Vanguard thread to promote their personal agenda.
  • dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by spiritglow

One possible way to deal with the raiding drama would be to make raid gear have the same stats as the best groupable gear but have a unique or different look, a look way better than the solo/group gear.  So the raid uber looter scooper kiddes can brag about their drops but not have better stats. This is done in Guild Wars although there's no raiding. 1mil gear looks radically better than the 10k gear but have same stats

Spiritglow

I think that woud be a decent compromise.  I'm not really hung up on not getting "all the gear".  So, even if the stats are different that would be fine too.  I just like the idea of each area having UNIQUE gear.  Meaning that if you want the look, or stats from item x, and it drops in area y, then you have to go to area y.  (For the stuff that can't be sold anyway).

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Doing your own thing may well take some time to get to. Maybe several expansions where you have the trickle down gear effect so you can solo what once needed a group, sad I know.

Spiritglow

I could live with that.  Heck, I'm usually only half-way to level cap before the expansions start rolling out anyways. image

• spiritglowspiritglow Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by dragonace
    Originally posted by Neanderthal
    First to Dragonace.  I'm glad you agreed with most of what I said.  The only thing I didn't understand is how you got "lottery" out of "quests and/or dungeon crawls". 
    Sorry about that Neanderthal.  That was my mistake.  I was reading fast, and didn't really pay attention to what you were saying in that paragraph.  I thought you meant like some kind of 6-sided dice roll.  1-in-6 chance of reward.

I went back and see that's not at all what you said or meant. 

I think if they put all the very best loot in group encounters and quests, then there wouldn't really be any point in having raid content at all.  I could live with that, but I'm not really sure that is what you intended.

I guess I am hoping that Vanguard does it this way:

20% solo/casual content : The loot from this area is unique and not available from other areas.
    60% group content: The loot from this area is unique and not available from other areas.
    20% raid content: The loot from this area is unique and not available from other areas.

Items made from crafting is unique as well - and doesn't really figure into these percentages.  It's on top of all the loot from the 3 other areas of content.

No mention of BEST gear there at all.  I would like there not to a single BEST gear for any slot.  There should be hundreds of gear that you would desire for each and every slot - depending on where you are going and what you are fighting.  Each of those hundreds of items should come from all 4 areas (including crafting).  That's what I hope for from Vanguard.

Spiritglow

Sorry, but Guild Wars is the only game with devs that have the balls to do this.  Look at WoW they promised this and then bowed to the neurotics.  Its not gonna happen.  Powergrinders will complain until they get better stuff than what they have and then they will start the complaint cycles over until the get better stuff than what they have.

The idea is perpetual fake progress by ramping up both monster hp and damage while simulataneously increasesing player hp/armor/damage.  Thus allowing peopel to pretend they get better even though they are actually staying exactly the same.  This allows the Devs to never need to balance/do much with the game again and allows the neurotic progression collectors to pretend something is actually happening.  Eveyone is "happy" with the perpetual stasis because they have a nice neat circular reasoning in place for why it actually equates to movement.  And if this faulty reasoning is undermined they go mental, because well they are mental.

These games won't budge from this paradigm.  It is their heart and soul.

Sigh. I agree. There's always Guild Wars, thankfully. I have Guild Wars Prophecies and Nightfall and just now I've decided to buy Factions. I'm gonna buy every expansion of Guild Wars if they keep going the way their going. They deserve the support.

Spiritglow