Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Beta-Only forum?

airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718
I won a key... excited and looking forward to it.

I was wandering if mmorpg could host a forum for just the beta testers (using the same login we have here) where we could discuss the game?

- assuming of course that tcos allows it.
- mmorpg has our logins, and knows who won keys.
- they could 'wait' until tcos has signed us all up and everyone has agreed to NDAs.

The reason is that I'm interested in hearing the views of the game from users here. There are so many different MMOs and games in the world, and the people at this site have (on average) been exposed to a high number of them (just a guess of course). This allows for a more experienced view of things... instead of someone just freaking about one feature good or bad...

just a thought...

Comments

• PaksPaks Member Posts: 263
    TCOS doesn't have their own beta forum?

I'd think they'd give players who won the contest access to it if they do have one.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    There is a beta forum, but it requires a beta key for access.

It can be found here.
    http://www.tcos.com/beta/beta.php

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718
    I can't imagine tcos not having a beta forum... but that wasn't what/why I was talking about...
    nvm

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659

Well, they could, but no one would be allowed to say anything about the game due to the NDA. Making the forum exclusive to those who are in beta does not change that, unless TCoS widens its NDA by allowing you to talk an a closed MMORPG.COM forum. But why would they? They have their own beta forums and they do need the input. Why would they scatter their source for input?

--
    Delanor

• WolfjunkieWolfjunkie Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 985
    Wouldn't it be kind of pointless?
    I mean, how many won a key? 25? So, a sub forum for 25 people of questionable activity.. Seems like a waste of space, imo.

It's 250, not 25.  And i'm probably overvalueing opinions from people at this site... will not let it happen again.

• JaggernautJaggernaut Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by airhead I won a key... excited and looking forward to it.I was wandering if mmorpg could host a forum for just the beta testers (using the same login we have here) where we could discuss the game?- assuming of course that tcos allows it.- mmorpg has our logins, and knows who won keys.- they could 'wait' until tcos has signed us all up and everyone has agreed to NDAs.The reason is that I'm interested in hearing the views of the game from users here. There are so many different MMOs and games in the world, and the people at this site have (on average) been exposed to a high number of them (just a guess of course). This allows for a more experienced view of things... instead of someone just freaking about one feature good or bad...just a thought...

Actually, i think its a good idea.  A forum like that would be a very good idea.  We could express our poinions about the game with other mmorpg testers.  I kno there is a forum at tcos but it would still be helpful to have one here as well.

Which FF Character Are You?

Jaggernaut

Originally posted by Jaggernaut

Actually, i think its a good idea.  A forum like that would be a very good idea.  We could express our poinions about the game with other mmorpg testers.  I kno there is a forum at tcos but it would still be helpful to have one here as well.
    Yes, but have you read my response. It can only happen for open beta, not for the closed beta, and open beta will be relatively short or at least it is planned shortly before the planned release.

--
    Delanor

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by airhead
    It's 250, not 25.  And i'm probably overvalueing opinions from people at this site... will not let it happen again.

I personaly think its a great idea i know of or have read/fought with most of you guys in post and well your opinions mean more to me than some Tcos Beta people. i would much rather discuss things here and not there but just me.. image

well sly, that was what I was thinking. When people post, a lot of times I like hitting that user-info and other-posts search to see what kind of posts the other person has made. If they are all completely lame I get to easily ignore the post, OR if they post in multiple games it means they have played a lot of stuff and bring a good broad view to the table. Just thought it would be more interesting than rummaging through a forum where people have no background, and no way to know if they are morons or not.

Of course, tcos would have to allow it... ultimately, they would have to trust that mmorpg could keep it limited to just the closed beta winners; and mmorpg would have to be able to implement that. Two big unknowns. And delanor raised the point of tcos motivation... they don't really have any. mmorpg would have to request it, push it, and show they could do it... since mmorpg would benefit because it's just one more feature for their site, they get to keep more traffic here, show their ads, blah blah.

Originally posted by sly220

I personaly think its a great idea i know of or have read/fought with most of you guys in post and well your opinions mean more to me than some Tcos Beta people. i would much rather discuss things here and not there but just me.. image

Although I had to point out the obstacle we are facing here, I have to admit it is not a bad idea. But personally I would want to communicate with the developers in a beta forum, but then I would view myself as a beta-tester not as a 'free-trial during beta' hitchhiker. I would be interested in the views of the people on this board, but that can wait till open beta. More so, because during open beta and on an open forum everybody will be informed about your educated opinions. I think that will be the view of mmorpg.com too. So it is unlikely that they will take the initative to start such a closed forum.

--
    Delanor

• snethsneth Member UncommonPosts: 33
    don't forget their beta-only IRC

details stickied in their beta forums general.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Actually, Airhead, I think you have a good idea there also. I think the main reason mmorpg.com wouldn't do it though would be the good old "If they get a special area for beta, we want one too" threads that would inevitably start. You have to think, that with as many games that they have listed here that are currently in beta phase at any given moment, coupled with the fact that the beta forum would be obsolete as soon as open beta occured, would cause alot of extra work on the parts of the staff here. With the day to day business of running of the site, having to police and maintain the integrity of dozens of beta forums would probably be just a little too much.
    On that note, perhaps you could setup a freeweb site and mail the website address to the winners of the beta?

• NytemareNytemare Member Posts: 59

The beta is for the developers of the game to get feedback from the testors and correct or tweak the game. Why would the developers want to have off site beta forums at places like MMORPG during this faze? You think they want to have to go site to site to get the information? Having the BETA forum hosted by anyone but the developers seems counter-productive, and there is a loss of control for the developers because it would not be their forums to police. The whole point of closed beta is to test and control the flow of information.

That being said, your idea could be played out on the developers forums. All you would need to do is create a MMORPG.COM TESTORS sub-section in the the developers beta forum.

Originally posted by Nytemare

That being said, your idea could be played out on the developers forums. All you would need to do is create a MMORPG.COM TESTORS sub-section in the the developers beta forum.

That's a good point and might work...

It was just an off the cuff idea, I didn't think about it enough. The whole point of beta-testing is of course for the devs. I was just looking for some way to have more history on the beta
    testers... some way to link back to here and be able to see all the users previous posts.

I personally at least went to tcos and created a user with the same handle as I have here... so when you see an 'airhead' post at tcos, you can know it's me, and probably not worth reading... ;-)