Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for a type of character

drekerdreker Member Posts: 5
HI,

I always played a bruiser or other close combat characters in any type of mmo becuase I can solo them when I want to.Is there a ranged character(archer?) or a combination of close and ranged that can solo from time to time if I need a quick pick me up?.I want to play something different

Thanks

John

Comments

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    from what ive read on the main forums and me own personal experience, every class in EQII is a good soloing class.  i would say that me pally is about the worst soloing class.  but thats out of only about 5 choices, so prolly not that accurate.  sry.

• drekerdreker Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any charcter on eq2 that can range and do a decent job going toe to toe with a sword?.I know that they will not be as powerful.

Thanks

John

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    that, i cant really help u with, sry.  limited experience with multiple classes.  prolly ranger, but i dont really know for sure.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

shadowknights are very good soloers since you seem to be looking for heavy armor wearers.  problem is theyre not one of the "big" classes that fit into a specific category.  ie. dps, healer, tank.  theyre very fun though and they do have some nice aoe/self heal abilities.  saaaa

berserkers are also great soloers, and theyre also very group friendly.  they deal awesome dps, they can tank, they even have some awesome group buffs.  i enjoy the shadowknight over the zerker, but the zerker gets a lot more playtime due to their group abilities.

zerkers can use bows (not really skilled for bow, but can use for pulling), shadowknights can use some bows but they also have range spells you can use for pulling.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • drekerdreker Member Posts: 5

Thanks again everbody

This definitely gives me something to
    chew on for a while.I am going for bezerk.

john

• absovictabsovict Member Posts: 3
    well, I think here is a cool place for me to learn more about character search! thank you all either!:)

To see, To believe
    An absolutely mmorpg player here!
    Games only, Fun only
    Http://www.goldburse.com

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079
    I played a Fury for a while (lvl 23) and had a good time. I'm playing a Monk now (he has throwing stars). I love the Monk!

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    Monks and Brusiers pwn.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Conjurers and necros both make good ranged soloers.

Some people also swear by the soloing ability of Illusionists. Although they have lower dps than the pet classes, their mezzes are good defensively.

Wizards can also solo by using roots.

As for classes that are good at both ranged and close up - the choice is fairly limited. At low levels ranger can do both, although I understand at higher levels the class concentrates on range.
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    My Zerker solo's great.  As far as ranged goes he uses a bow but thats only for pulling mobs.  The weird thing is though, my highest hit to date hasnt been from my 2hand slash weapon, but from my bow. Go figure.
  • XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

Well if you solo you aren't going to be doing much ranged fighting anyway because those mobs will run into melee range real fast.  Ranged fighting is best to do in a group when someone else can tank so you can stay ranged.  But from your question it sounds to me like you want some versatility in your character class.

If you want a class that can do both ranged and melee attacks, combat arts and spells and be VERY versatile in group situations then go with a troubador.    They have lots of utility both in groups and for soloing.  They can fight well against solo mobs as long as you don't pull too many at once.  Crowd controls for troubies were nerfed horribly so, you want to stay with what you can handle.  They do not solo well against heroic mobs unless they are very very green...in other words only if you are 10 levels above them and even then it's a tough fight.

You will travel quicker than any other class: Sneak gets you where you want to go safely, escape gets you out of bad situations quickly or back to the start of a zone, fastest runners due to their run speed buff songs, safe fall to jump safely from high places.  (My troubie wears her Journeyman boots and combined with her run songs, she can run faster than any horse in the game right now)

Defense: You wear chain armor which gives decent mitigation, high agility which gives good avoidance and you have songs that buff your avoidance and defense.  You also have a health regen song which helps a lot when you are soloing.

Offense: high strength and high intelligence will increase your DPS which you will be able to do for a long time without running out of mana since you have a mana regen song.  Your actual DPS output is lower than other DPS classes, but you can sustain it for a much longer period of time, which is great for raiding.  If you DO happen to run low on mana, you are good at autoattack ranged as well as autoattack melee fiighting.  You can almost always keep fighting no matter the situation.  Have a mob that resists melee and ranged damage?  No problem...sing songs that do mental damage.  Have one that resists those mental spells?  No problem!  Just increase your auto attack damage speed with the appropriate song, and switch to melee attacks with your dual wield weapons or go ranged with a good strong bow.  Ran out of arrows and have to stay ranged to avoid a mob's AoE?  No problem , you have ranged spell songs, so sing them.

I think of troubadors as the Eveready bunny of EQ2, they just keep going and going and going...hehe. 

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Originally posted by Xandrya
    Well if you solo you aren't going to be doing much ranged fighting anyway because those mobs will run into melee range real fast.

Not necessarily true. Either pets (necro, conjurer) or roots (wizard, warden, fury) can be used to keep a mob at range.

Not sure whether rangers have any abilities that allow them to maintain range whilst soloing.

Ranged fighting is best to do in a group when someone else can tank so you can stay ranged. But from your question it sounds to me like you want some versatility in your character class. If you want a class that can do both ranged and melee attacks, combat arts and spells and be VERY versatile in group situations then go with a troubador.

Troubadours and dirges may both be excellent in the right groups, but neither really shines at solo play.

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

I have played with several rangers and they really have no effective controls for keeping mobs at ranged distance while soloing that I am aware of.  I do beleive they get some snares that slow mobs down a little , but no real roots. 

So if you want to solo and do ranged damage the best way would be with pets (necro or conjuror) or by rooting and nuking which warlocks are quite good at from what I've seen.  Wardens do get a very powerful root too, but it's best if used in tandem with a troubie  (I have a warden friend who loves duoing with my troub because she boosts his spells which makes his roots nearly unbreakable). 

I play a fury also, (level 60) and their roots are not nearly as effective as a warden's is.  I love playing her though.  Furies are great damage dealers and can heal well so for those reasons they are a fun class to solo with.