Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Nights 2

AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339

NWN2 owns.  Buy it. 

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

Comments

• LellLell Member Posts: 45
    Bought it.

Tried it.

Shelved it until they fix the cameras.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Getting it on monday..
  • KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Originally posted by Vyre
    NWN2 owns.  Buy it.   
    NWN2 owns the fools who waste their money on the game without reading the feedback from the people who are playing it now.  It has all the earmarks of a poorly-coded game.  it doesn't play smoothly for most people, the quest is very, very linear and a lot of people who are playing it are already losing interest.  Overall, it's a love/hate game, I think, and the NWN1 fanbois and module community are fighting hard for their precious love, but the majority of people who are playing it are as frustrated as all get out with the clunky UI, camera and movement, never mind the fairly disappointingly linear storyline.

Games like this were great around 2000-2001.  It's 2006 and we have different expectations now, and NWN2 didn't really even try to meet those expectations, which is why people are complaining about it.

Save your money for now, and wait to see if Obsidian fixes the gameplay issues before buying this one.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

The orginal NWN had a crappy release and look how it ended..
  • trigger190trigger190 Member Posts: 264
    I'm actually enjoying it, and I didn't like Neverwinter Nights 1, mostly because of the animations.
    I hear people complain about the camera, which I agree is annoying, but it isn't as bad as people say it is.
    There's also complaining about the animations, I don't know if they are motion captured or not but they are FAR better then it is in NWN 1.
    I do agree do that the game should be optimized, altough its playable with my 6600GT and 1 gig of ram, it lags alot when you move the camera down or when there's lots of lights.

In my opinion, it has flaws, but its a good game, and it will only get better.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Originally posted by Lell
    Bought it.

Tried it.

Shelved it until they fix the cameras.

Someone on another site said this:

"In your My DocumentsNeverwinter Nights 2 folder, open up
    nwnplayer.ini, and find the line "CameraFollowAlways=0". Change this to
    "CameraFollowAlways=1". This will cause the Camera to always follow you
    - even when standing still."

I did it and it worked great.  Those cameras were really beginning
    to annoy me and I had also set it aside to wait for a patch. 

• LellLell Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. 

• Squall15Squall15 Member Posts: 454

Originally posted by Signe

Someone on another site said this:

"In your My DocumentsNeverwinter Nights 2 folder, open up nwnplayer.ini, and find the line "CameraFollowAlways=0". Change this to "CameraFollowAlways=1". This will cause the Camera to always follow you - even when standing still."

I did it and it worked great.  Those cameras were really beginning to annoy me and I had also set it aside to wait for a patch. 

didnt work for me....
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by Novaseeker
    Originally posted by Vyre
    NWN2 owns.  Buy it.   
    NWN2 owns the fools who waste their money on the game without reading the feedback from the people who are playing it now.  It has all the earmarks of a poorly-coded game.  it doesn't play smoothly for most people, the quest is very, very linear and a lot of people who are playing it are already losing interest.  Overall, it's a love/hate game, I think, and the NWN1 fanbois and module community are fighting hard for their precious love, but the majority of people who are playing it are as frustrated as all get out with the clunky UI, camera and movement, never mind the fairly disappointingly linear storyline.

Games like this were great around 2000-2001.  It's 2006 and we have different expectations now, and NWN2 didn't really even try to meet those expectations, which is why people are complaining about it.

Save your money for now, and wait to see if Obsidian fixes the gameplay issues before buying this one.

Aww....what happened? Hardware not good enough for an install? Female avitars not hawt enough?

You have an awful lot of anger for a game thats only been out for 4 days buddy, espically on an MMO forum. From now on I susgest you not speak for everybody who plays this game, and get a grip on how the industry works.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

The singleplayer campaign is just to give you something to do and showcase the things you'll be able to accomplish with the module tools. The greatest part of NWN is the community, different modules being created and shared. Multiplayer with a persistant world or even just campaigns made by the player community is what will make NWN2 great, the same as was done with NWN.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Originally posted by Squall15

Originally posted by Signe Someone on another site said this:

"In
    your My DocumentsNeverwinter Nights 2 folder, open up nwnplayer.ini,
    and find the line "CameraFollowAlways=0". Change this to
    "CameraFollowAlways=1". This will cause the Camera to always follow you
    - even when standing still."

I did it and it worked great.
    Those cameras were really beginning to annoy me and I had also set it
    aside to wait for a patch.

didnt work for me....

Aww... :::^(:: I wonder why not? Maybe the view you're using is different than mine. I'm using the "driver" view, I think it's called. It's the only one that felt right. I hate the way the camera moves so slow when you hit the edges with your cursor. That fix made it so I rarely have to bother with turning that way. I don't know... I hope they patch it soon so you can enjoy it a bit more.

I decided to just have the camara bind to the back of my char since im used to that anyways.
  • helothelot Member UncommonPosts: 99

I might pick it up this weekend.  image

Originally posted by helot

I might pick it up this weekend.  image

So far its been very fun after the camera fix. The graphics are outstanding! I love every part of it so far. Im still trying to figure out the editor though, which im having problems with because im pretty new and these things, so if anyone could help me out, that would be nice.

Thanks

Well, i have to say... after 20min of trying to connect to a server online, i have failed.

They are either "firewalled" or an error occurs. Im sure they will fix this in a patch, but it seems this should have been taken care of before release.

• KibsKibs Member Posts: 411
    Urm when something is firewalled, its almost always your end when you get those probs.  Read the manual and open the ports in your firewall/router.

-----------------

Kibs

Playing: The Saga of Ryzom since march 2004

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

Well, i have to say... after 20min of trying to connect to a server online, i have failed. They are either "firewalled" or an error occurs. Im sure they will fix this in a patch, but it seems this should have been taken care of before release.

NWN 1 had issues with this too. Most people I know who played it, got rid of Windows firewall and switched to Zone-Alarm, which seems to play a little more nicely with it. Whether those issues are the same today with current Windows and current NWN2 I am not sure... I haven't been able to find a copy of NWN 2 yet to try it :/.

Almost always when this happens, though, there is a firewall issue on your end that you will have to fix. NWN 2 will need certain ports open. They probably have this all explained on their website.

C

Originally posted by Chessack

Well, i have to say... after 20min of trying to connect to a server online, i have failed.
    They are either "firewalled" or an error occurs. Im sure they will fix this in a patch, but it seems this should have been taken care of before release.

NWN 1 had issues with this too. Most people I know who played it, got rid of Windows firewall and switched to Zone-Alarm, which seems to play a little more nicely with it. Whether those issues are the same today with current Windows and current NWN2 I am not sure... I haven't been able to find a copy of NWN 2 yet to try it :/.

Almost always when this happens, though, there is a firewall issue on your end that you will have to fix. NWN 2 will need certain ports open. They probably have this all explained on their website.

C

I have done some researched on their forums, and it says i need to open certain ports for all of the servers to work properly. Now, i really dont want to go in and start touching every thing, so ill just hold off until who knows when. I bet i will end up forgeting about it, and NWN2 will just start to collect dust...

Another 50$... image

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

This double of the original thread serves no purpose.

Doubles should be incorporated to existing thread.  Now peoples have to search for 2 thread to see what peoples think about the product.  The OP should be more careful, it is a mark of respect toward other users to keep going an existing thread, the restart an identical thread on the same day is not going for anyone.

See, Rattrap praises the game a lot, anyone here miss his remarks.  Me I praise and flame it at the same time, again peoples in this thread only, they have no idea...and so on.  And I will definitely not repeat what I already said.  Rattrap didn't even bother with this thread at all.  Peoples are missing much, especially that in this thread, there are like no information at all beside the camera, which is only 1 aspect that many persons raise in the other thread.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• BuZZKilgoreBuZZKilgore Member Posts: 525

Originally posted by Anofalye
    This double of the original thread serves no purpose.   Doubles should be incorporated to existing thread.  Now peoples have to search for 2 thread to see what peoples think about the product.  The OP should be more careful, it is a mark of respect toward other users to keep going an existing thread, the restart an identical thread on the same day is not going for anyone.   See, Rattrap praises the game a lot, anyone here miss his remarks.  Me I praise and flame it at the same time, again peoples in this thread only, they have no idea...and so on.  And I will definitely not repeat what I already said.  Rattrap didn't even bother with this thread at all.  Peoples are missing much, especially that in this thread, there are like no information at all beside the camera, which is only 1 aspect that many persons raise in the other thread.
    Give me a break, who cares what some noob named Rattrap thinks of NWN2? Maybe the OP made a mistake and clicked the submit button twice, it happens get over it. These forums are buggy as hell somedays anyway.

Now back on the subject..

NWN2 is just an ok rpg, it's one of the few rpgs that is even more linear than Fable. What I mean is you load into a very small area, kill everthing in it, go to a world map marker, load another zone, repeat, repeat, repeat. There is zero exploring because you are walled in on both sides and can't stray very far from the path they set you on. It may even have more load screens than Fable had, I dunno I quit counting after the 200th one.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by BuZZKilgore

This double of the original thread serves no purpose.

Doubles should be incorporated to existing thread.  Now peoples have to search for 2 thread to see what peoples think about the product.  The OP should be more careful, it is a mark of respect toward other users to keep going an existing thread, the restart an identical thread on the same day is not going for anyone.

See, Rattrap praises the game a lot, anyone here miss his remarks.  Me I praise and flame it at the same time, again peoples in this thread only, they have no idea...and so on.  And I will definitely not repeat what I already said.  Rattrap didn't even bother with this thread at all.  Peoples are missing much, especially that in this thread, there are like no information at all beside the camera, which is only 1 aspect that many persons raise in the other thread.

Give me a break, who cares what some noob named Rattrap thinks of NWN2? Maybe the OP made a mistake and clicked the submit button twice, it happens get over it. These forums are buggy as hell somedays anyway.

Well, you insult Rattrap who isn't even in this thread, while telling me to STFU, you say it is an "okay RPG", without explaining much...dunno, that doesn't seem to be quite...enlightening to me.  But sure, if you are happy with bugs and doesn't want to improve the forum, I guess you couldn't care less.

Personnally, this is the only forum I come to on a regular basic and I really like it, however I want it to improve.  So telling peoples they did something wrong (not a sin or something really bad, just something that isn't good for the forums) and suggesting a solution (to paste it into the older thread), well, I think I try to be constructive.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

" while telling me to STFU"

Nowhere in my post did I tell you that, don't put words in my mouth.

Read my post again nooblet.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by BuZZKilgore
    This double of the original thread serves no purpose.   Doubles should be incorporated to existing thread.  Now peoples have to search for 2 thread to see what peoples think about the product.  The OP should be more careful, it is a mark of respect toward other users to keep going an existing thread, the restart an identical thread on the same day is not going for anyone.   See, Rattrap praises the game a lot, anyone here miss his remarks.  Me I praise and flame it at the same time, again peoples in this thread only, they have no idea...and so on.  And I will definitely not repeat what I already said.  Rattrap didn't even bother with this thread at all.  Peoples are missing much, especially that in this thread, there are like no information at all beside the camera, which is only 1 aspect that many persons raise in the other thread.

Well, you insult Rattrap who isn't even in this thread, while telling me to STFU, you say it is an "okay RPG", without explaining much...dunno, that doesn't seem to be quite...enlightening to me.  But sure, if you are happy with bugs and doesn't want to improve the forum, I guess you couldn't care less.

Personnally, this is the only forum I come to on a regular basic and I really like it, however I want it to improve.  So telling peoples they did something wrong (not a sin or something really bad, just something that isn't good for the forums) and suggesting a solution (to paste it into the older thread), well, I think I try to be constructive.

Youre the one who brought this "rattrap" person into the thread, not Buzz. If you want to improve this forum, then not speaking for other people, or even mentioning them when they arent "present" is a good start.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

Rattrap is probably his other account, and he probably posted some big 2000 word post about NWN2 that he thinks everyone should read. When will people realize we don't want to be informed here, we just want to argue.image

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Alright, that's it!! Everyone STFU and eat pie::::02::