Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

to all the noobs who think PVP is unbalanced

you just dont know how to play !

There are different classes and you should learn to work with other people and remember its a very dynamic envrionment.
Think about it real life mmmkay, if you have two people, one with a shoulder fired rocket and the other with a pistol, that is not balanced. BUT, if you have a team of guys with different skills and equipment and know how to work together then ya, its fun and challenging.

Real balance is boring. Like playing PlanetSide, its a very balanced game but its darn boring too.

Even when facing an uber duber 1337 dude with the crazy weapon that few have, its becoms a challenge. Like when SWG was at its prime (cough) and bounty hunters teamed up together and planned strategy to take out a Jedi target. Its all about strategy.

People always say oh WoW is so easy, yeah, its easier to play and that makes it fun, but the people you play with also make it fun ! Some people who play are just selfish and dont really understand how to get into a MMORPG.
Just look at how Eric, Stan, Kenny and Kyle worked together to defeat that 1337 dude. Thats what im talkin about !

P.S. MORE HOT POCKETS !!!

Comments

• inferno89inferno89 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited November 2022
    what would be good, is if battles were scaled. eg. If a level 60 saw a level 40 and wanted to gank him, as soon as combat is initiated, the level 60's stats and abilities etc all scale down to something like within 5 levels of the lower player. So their damage output, HP, blah blah would be scaled down to level 45. Also, their skill abilities would be scaled also. This means that presumably half their bar would be disabled (skill levels etc), and therefore would immediately cut half his battle readiness (unless he prepares before engaging).

That way, the person getting jumped has a chance to fight back and live ... i think this would be a good system as the person has a chance of surviving by running away/kiting, or can turn round and give them a run for his money. Being an item v item based game, you'd presume the level 60 (who has been scaled to level 45), would probably win ... a skilled player could fark the kent up, and res kill of course :P

Looking at it from a level 45 trying to gank a level 60, this system would be even better imo. The level 45 would initiate battle, the level 60 is taken by surprise (literally, as his stats/spells, etc all scale down), and he's gotta be quick-witted enough to defend himself with what little abilities he has etc.  You could say, that's not totally fair on the level 60 as he suddenly is cut down to half his strength without even being warned ..... try talking about fairness to the level 10 that you just 1-hit as he ran past you simply wanting to collect 10 flowers for a fair maiden.

Not that i'm ever gonna play WoW ever again ... EVER ... but i think it'd be a good addition.  Let the flaming and e-peen comparing begin!
    Post edited by inferno89 on
  • NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    My bet is that you don't even have a 60 in WoW and don't know how unbelievably unbalanced it is.

• jw2252jw2252 Member Posts: 34
    I haven't played in awhile (roughly 3-4 months by now).  But I have to say the game is fairly well balanced.  I'll use my warrior as an example.  When I was MS specced (31/20 with 20 in prot so I could tank a bit) I had no trouble handling rogues, other warriors, and a pally every now and then.  However I found myself easy prey against caster types that would either fear me or root me in place.  Then I switched to Fury/arms (I believe I did about 40/11 but I'm not sure, it's been awhile) and by making fear spells null, I had no problem against locks and shadow priests.  Of course I had trouble against shammies regardless of what spec I was but every class has another class that's able to best them.  Now the problem with PvP is raid gear, and this is the main reason I left.  It took me a long time after 60 to get into a good raid guild and even after that I hated raiding so I could never get the best gear.  Which in turn hurt my performance in Battlegrounds.  So as far as PvP is conscerned, yes I think there is a fairly good balance between the classes.  However, the raid gear ruins it for us that just don't have to time to dedicate to getting it.
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Rock, paper, scissors.

Been around a damned long time, and it ain't going away any time soon. Least not till someone makes a totally skill based system, and does away with levels. Yes, UO, and Eve already have skill based advancement, but they aren't exactly the mainstream, and I don't see anyone taking a page from their book anytime soon, either.

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Originally posted by Coldmeat
    Least not till someone makes a totally skill based system, and does away with levels.
    Someone already did, though it doesn't belong to the traditional MMORPG genre...

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    Its unbalenced since good gear is everything.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    Damn did I accidentally load up the WoW forums?  So your argument is because a class is team functional in WoW it is balanced? Don't agree with that at all.

• haudvicushaudvicus Member Posts: 176

Unbalanced PvP comes from direct combat with another player. Every class falls short somewhere in the fight.

I'm a rogue, and I hit them from stealth when they're drinking or eating for a heavy critical. Now, if I were to engage them in plain view like a warrior, I'd suffer problems and sometimes lose very quickly. As stated, you have to play your class, not your style. If this doesn't work, you simply shouldn't be that class. Sry.

However, some fights will be harder than others regardless. Twinks, betaboys, and the occasional ganker will make it seem like your character is weak to the class you simply should stomp. Always cruise the forums when in doubt, as you'll find every class has an easy kill and a tough fight.

• SmurfMagicSmurfMagic Member Posts: 664
    English is a good language, umm lets try to evalute the original post, mmmkay...

Balance does not make for a great game, no... therefore I am saying that on a class per class, equipment per equipment game no, this game is NOT balanced. However, what I am saying; its both FUN and CHALLENGE to figure out strategy to take down a mightier opponent.

Those babies who cry" WAAAA he only beat me cause he gots the sword of 1000 truths and i dont" just are not working with other people to make their game more fun.

Balance is boring. Skill based like Unreal Tournament is fun, sure, but thats not how this game is played.
    Take into consideration please, the game Star Wars Galaxies, for those of you who truly played before it turned to crap will remember how UNBALANCED it was, but we worked the system and worked with each other to MAKE IT FUN. Just look at how many people are begging for classic servers so they can play that unbalanced original game.

Yes, I rule.

However, what I am saying; its both FUN and CHALLENGE to figure out strategy to take down a mightier opponent.

Ok, start a new character, and play in the 10-29 bgs, also make sure he isn't twinked. Have fun.

::::20::

Originally posted by nomadian

However, what I am saying; its both FUN and CHALLENGE to figure out strategy to take down a mightier opponent.

Ok, start a new character, and play in the 10-29 bgs, also make sure he isn't twinked. Have fun.

::::20::

Soooo what are you saying then? You at lvl 10-29 think you should be able to compete with higher lvls? one on one? what about lets say you and some friends at lower levels want to take out a single higher lvl ? ah ha! then its possible, isnt it.  Yes it is, thank you very much.

I play on a PVP RP server so maybe thats why I have more fun?

• zollenzollen Member Posts: 351

Originally posted by SmurfMagic
    you just dont know how to play !

There are different classes and you should learn to work with other people and remember its a very dynamic envrionment.
    Think about it real life mmmkay, if you have two people, one with a shoulder fired rocket and the other with a pistol, that is not balanced. BUT, if you have a team of guys with different skills and equipment and know how to work together then ya, its fun and challenging.

Real balance is boring. Like playing PlanetSide, its a very balanced game but its darn boring too.

Even when facing an uber duber 1337 dude with the crazy weapon that few have, its becoms a challenge. Like when SWG was at its prime (cough) and bounty hunters teamed up together and planned strategy to take out a Jedi target. Its all about strategy.

People always say oh WoW is so easy, yeah, its easier to play and that makes it fun, but the people you play with also make it fun ! Some people who play are just selfish and dont really understand how to get into a MMORPG.
    Just look at how Eric, Stan, Kenny and Kyle worked together to defeat that 1337 dude. Thats what im talkin about !

P.S. MORE HOT POCKETS !!!

So if every players learn to play the game right (as you suggested), every players would choose the "best" cookie-cutter classes/setup/equipments. Every team would have the exactly same cookie-cutter team classes/composition/equipments.

Is this your ideal unbalance PvP system?

Soooo what are you saying then? You at lvl 10-29 think you should be able to compete with higher lvls? one on one? what about lets say you and some friends at lower levels want to take out a single higher lvl ? ah ha! then its possible, isnt it. Yes it is, thank you very much.

I play on a PVP RP server so maybe thats why I have more fun?

I'm not talking about higher lvls, I'm talking about twinks. When was the last time you engaged in the battlegrounds without any twinkage? Find it fun? Oh you say, a few of you can take down a twink so it isn't a problem. Ok add a few more twinks to the equation. Great if you enjoy that kind of thing, but I call it crap and likewise the number of posts on the forums agree.

Originally posted by zollen
    ~//~cut

So if every players learn to play the game right (as you suggested), every players would choose the "best" cookie-cutter classes/setup/equipments. Every team would have the exactly same cookie-cutter team classes/composition/equipments.

Is this your ideal unbalance PvP system?

to play the game "right" is not what I suggested, What I suggested is people learn to work together.
    Also, everyone has their own idea of what is ideal, thats what makes WoW fun and unique.

Im not 1337 dude and ive not really had much success with those guys "twinked" out but I still HAVE FUN and thats really what playing a game is about. Sometimes you need better stuff so those guys who work at it get the rewards.
    I don't understand why people complain so much about things being balanced. Look what complaining about balance did to SWG... they destroyed the game when the Devs attempted to comply with demands.

• Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120
    SmurfMagic is right!  The End. =P
  • ronin_13xronin_13x Member Posts: 28

wats up with the smurf magic

1. Ordered List

Im not 1337 dude and ive not really had much success with those guys "twinked" out but I still HAVE FUN and thats really what playing a game is about. Sometimes you need better stuff so those guys who work at it get the rewards. I don't understand why people complain so much about things being balanced. Look what complaining about balance did to SWG... they destroyed the game when the Devs attempted to comply with demands.

How is it fun when a twink owns you in 2 or 3 hits with massively overpowered enchants? New players are trying to learn PvP and they're not allowed to! And you're perfectly fine with that. As to not balancing things... because it may end up like SWG, that is a silly mentality. Classes need tuning all the time and a lot of classes have considerably improved, but there are still some classes which need some attention and hopefully this will be done in BC.

Lastly I ask you this, this guy posted on the forums saying he lost 90 games in a row or something to horde, is that fun? Good you have your opinions but I think everyone already knows the game is about fun and there are few who do play as a team like myself, which is one of the reasons of looking forward to the arenas. But I think you show perhaps a lack of experience of situations in the game and just blanket making a statement of the way you think things should be. Also talking about balance without even referring to any specifics when balance can refer to an array of things isn't the best of arguments. What is it you think is fine? the twinks? all the classes, have you played every class?- I have near enough. The horde/alliance win ratios?, the gear inequality?

• K4ymenK4ymen Member Posts: 4
    If you think wow is balanced you are crazy. I, as a warrior, stand no chance against a mage. I tried over and over to beat this mage 1 lvl higher then me in a duel but I just couldn't. He would let me charge him, then he would blink behind me, I would intercept him, and he would polymorph me and tehn pyroblast and then it was just over.
    But then again that is the paper-scissors-stone system. What is possibly wrong at the moment is some classes are just paper>scissors+stone. Or some classes are scissors <Paper+stone. If you get what I'm meaning. 

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    ok

A. get to level 60 first

B. Shadow priests are so overpowered its unbeleivable... even ask a shadow priest weather they think there class is over powered and whatch what they will say :P

• catalepsycatalepsy Member Posts: 5

The top WSG teams in North America (TAO, Nurfed, etc) usually use 7 or all 8 classes, this is the best proof that PvP is pretty balanced in WoW. The only class that the best teams sometimes stack is warriors, they will use 2 or 3.

If PvP was really unbalanced, you'd see teams stacking 5+ of X class and dominating, that has yet to happen. If you think X class is overpowered, then make your own team, and challenge a good team, you will very likely lose in 12 minutes.

The only reason for that is that while there is SOME balance between the classes, they are all dependant on eachother. A warrior is pretty much nothing without a healer of some sort, and even a shadow priest can't take on 2 or 3 warriors by itself.

Shadow priests are only good in 1vs1. WoW is balanced around group PvP. Classes (warlock, priest) that can DoT are the strongest classes in 1vs1 simply because 7 out of 9 classes have no way to remove DoTs, so DoTs become a death sentence in 1vs1.  With dispellers in group pvp, shadow priests become somewhat weak, you will never see a good teams using shadow priests.

I agree that there's balance in group PvP but I don't see any in 1v1.
    I don't think it's even possible to balance all classes for 1vs1.

The real problem with PvP right now is the gear gap between raiders and non-raiders, twinks vs non-twinks, etc. Classes are fine for the most part, itemization isn't. Actually, i'm not sure PvP belongs in mmos, it's just not possible to have balance in item-based games.