Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

concerning the beta contest

hi, concerning the beta contest i was skimming through their website and faq and i found this.

Contest winners from around the web will be joining. (Please note that we guarantee closed Beta accounts to winners, however we will be looking at their applications to determine when they best fit the planning.)

http://tcos.com/en/gameworld/?id=faq

so from reading that i guess it could be a while before some of the contest winners actually get into the closed beta? either way, good luck to the winners and hopefully they all get in sooner than later. ::::19::

Comments

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    hehe, poor winners image

• ObenOben Member Posts: 40
    I won a key, but I have no idea when I'll get the actual key :P

Numba 35!

• NathanCNathanC Member Posts: 14
    But isn't this competition completely separate from TCoS.com ?
    I.e. the guys at TCoS.com don't know who the identities of the winners are? Unless we get transferred to their site and have to re-register there or something. Cos my username here is not the same as my TCoS one! Hmm. Guess we'll find out as soon as everyone confirms their winning ticket what the deal is!

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

More than likely, you would have to tell 'em who you are and your system specs. Otherwise, how do you make an account? So, you'd either link to your info if you are already registered or create a new account. Either way, they'll have info to base their decision on. However, if this is going to be the case, why bother with a contest for beta in the first place? "Hey, you won the first ticket in the contest! But we're not looking for players fitting your profile/ system specs right now. We'll make sure you get in at least the day before open beta, though!!". Is it their right to do it this way? Yep. Is it a smart way to create a first impression with potential players? Nope.

Edit: spelling::::07::

• TarsickTarsick Member Posts: 41
    first impression with potential players?

IMHO i believe that Spellborn International and most game companies really don't give a shit about the cry babies on their forrums that spew bullshit about the company alienating or driving away potential players.  first off, this is beta the code might not be optimized enough yet to play on some of the lower end systems, so people with these systems might not be able to fully test the game, people with lower end systems would also be prone to go around telling everyone how much the game sucked because thier craptacular PC couldn't run a beta version of the game well

personally i think the people that say things like " well because of X im not going to play this game " are full of crap. they most likely will try the game and are only throwing idle threats about. then again you have the whole crop of people that never actually buy MMO's they play beta versions and f2p MMO's and bitch a lot on forums

• TarsickTarsick Member Posts: 41
    btw Zorvan, in no way are my comments directed at you but towards the people you mention and the people i more accurately described

• crosscountrycrosscountry Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Im sure it will be awhile before the contest winners get to play.
  • sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606
    Well i won one of the beta acconts and i also have won a LoTRO vip code which allows me into beta at some point. but ive been waiting for quit some time now and well im not gonna hold my breath. i suppose about 1week before open beta well all get in image

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

"In late Q3 2006 we plan to begin an Open Beta period."

Thats from the FAQ also....

Originally posted by Tarsick
    btw Zorvan, in no way are my comments directed at you but towards the people you mention and the people i more accurately described

No prob, Tarsick::::20:: I agree with you.

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by Theutus

"In late Q3 2006 we plan to begin an Open Beta period."
    Thats from the FAQ also....

that is old new friend the latet new is open beta 1Q 07 here is the link

http://www.tcos.com/

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by NathanC
    But isn't this competition completely separate from TCoS.com ?
    I.e. the guys at TCoS.com don't know who the identities of the winners are? Unless we get transferred to their site and have to re-register there or something. Cos my username here is not the same as my TCoS one! Hmm. Guess we'll find out as soon as everyone confirms their winning ticket what the deal is!

We won. End of story.

The deal is that we are sent a beta key by email. There were no applications to fill out, and practically no eligibility requirements. We logged in, we entered the contest, and we won. It's just a matter of waiting for the beta keys at this point. Forcing us to re-register on their website to await the dev decision on when to let us play would be pointless, and make us the exact same as all the other people who already signed up on their own. Not much of a contest, at that point, and I don't think MMORPG.com would let it happen.

• AmorphismAmorphism Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I woke up today from a bad dream, not a scary one, but one that a close person fuc*s me over and steal money from me. anyway, I check my email and ta-da! I got a winning ticket! this sure bright up my day.

Being so excited and all I got into the Tcos site and entered my ticket number as a beta key and, as to be expected I guess, nothing happend. So, I've saved you guys the trouble in using ticket number the wrong way.  image

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Aethios
    We won. End of story.The deal is that we are sent a beta key by email. There were no applications to fill out, and practically no eligibility requirements. We logged in, we entered the contest, and we won. It's just a matter of waiting for the beta keys at this point. Forcing us to re-register on their website to await the dev decision on when to let us play would be pointless, and make us the exact same as all the other people who already signed up on their own. Not much of a contest, at that point, and I don't think MMORPG.com would let it happen.

no offense, but judging by the quote from the FAQ, i think you are wrong. the point is that the contest winners are guaranteed a closed beta invite at some point but you could be waiting a while.

i have known of some other beta contests similar to this that have used the same approach, but look at it this way. if the game is unplayable with your current rig and they detect that with a survey asking you what your computer specs are then i don't see this as a bad thing.

the game would end up running like crap on your computer and their beta forums would just get flooded with unnecessary posts complaining about the performance.

but i guess we will find out sooner or later.

*sigh* 7 more to go. Come on, people!! Claim your prizes so we can get this show on the road::::20::

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672
    lol only 3 left now

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187
    So any word on how we actually get access to the beta yet?

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672
    yah several thread say it

once all winners are confirmed they are gonna contact the spellborn guys and they will make our accounts, then get back to us (or some such setup like that)

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    Sweet...can't wait.  Hope this game rocks hard! 

My last beta was a bit dissapointing.image

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• AhuriAhuri Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by xephonics
    yah several thread say it

once all winners are confirmed they are gonna contact the spellborn guys and they will make our accounts, then get back to us (or some such setup like that)

They will send more probably to us a "key" for the Beta signup form :) It have a field "Beta Priority Key"

http://www.tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=306 , see the post from Thee Nailros TCoS Global Community Manager.

n`Ahu

• TharcideTharcide Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by baphamet
    hi, concerning the beta contest i was skimming through their website and faq and i found this. Contest winners from around the web will be joining. (Please note that we guarantee closed Beta accounts to winners, however we will be looking at their applications to determine when they best fit the planning.)

so from reading that i guess it could be a while before some of the contest winners actually get into the closed beta? either way, good luck to the winners and hopefully they all get in sooner than later. ::::19::

This is true as far as we know from other contests. For some reason these MMORPG.COM keys are special and usually get people in right away.image
    Now....many people are expecting that we get in as soon as everyone is confirmed... Freeze(from tcos) says otherwise.
    We will get in when the game is ready.
    Freeze said that the 250 contest winners will be on a U.S. server that will be up by the end of November.

• AhuriAhuri Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by Tharcide
    Freeze said that the 250 contest winners will be on a U.S. server that will be up by the end of November.

no, no :)

Europeans on European server and US on the US Server BUT, to be fair, all the 250 winners will be in at the same time :)

Source : Freeze post

n`Ahu

• TharcideTharcide Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by Ahuri
    Originally posted by Tharcide

no, no :)

Europeans on European server and US on the US Server BUT, to be fair, all the 250 winners will be in at the same time :)

Source : Freeze post

n`Ahu

Thank you for clearing that up image