Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlaneShift: 300,000 Accounts

The not-for-profit Atomic Blue have announced that the free MMO they're developing has reached 300,000 user accounts. They also noted some recent updates.

PlaneShift MMORPG reaches 300.000 registered accounts. Created by the no-profit organization Atomic Blue, PlaneShift is a fantasy role playing game under development that is already providing hours of enjoyment to thousands of players. PlaneShift requires no software costs nor monthly fees and is available for Windows, Linux and Mac platforms. Latest release 0.3.16 adds natural armor, minigames, improved interaction window, new monsters and new quests.

You can read more about PlaneShift here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

According to Atomic Blue's website they have 30,000 accounts.

How do they expect to operate this game without any revenue source? Are these guys just independently wealthy computer game designers with free time on their hands? Something seems fishy.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      Donations, private money, work for free, and possibly spyware :)  be my guess

gonna check this game out

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• VengeanceVengeance Member Posts: 5
    I am one of the developers on this project and I assure you that there is no spyware (at least in the official versions).  The md5 checksums are on the home website if you download the binaries, or you can build the game from source yourself if you prefer.

The server does take a lot of bandwidth but this is generously donated to us by a company who are fans of the game.

It is still rough and not a "full" release, and certainly does not have the polish of a pro commercial game, but it is fun and it is pretty big.  I don't think there is another *open source* game out there that holds a candle to ours.

Thanks,
    Vengeance