Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE canceling EQ 2 anyone hear anything about this?

ZathriusZathrius Member UncommonPosts: 7
Being a avid online game player I heard a rumor from the grapevine that there is a posiblity of Everquest 2 being discontinued; it has a rather large following and seriously hope this ISN"T the fact. Anyone have any info on this PLEASE let me know.

Thanks,

Zathrius

Comments

• acoloradoacolorado Member Posts: 22
    Ridiculous. Someone is just telling you scary campfire tales my friend.
  • moonDOTdkmoonDOTdk Member Posts: 50

lol ...

yeah right.. Get real.

• andykimbrougandykimbroug Member Posts: 36
    in fact they are not working on a expansion.  it is all a big ruse to keep people playing until they can pull the plug tomorrow.... no I don't think so.

-andy

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    dude yer poll asks me if it is rumor or false, either answer doesnt answer either question in that poll lol, it denies or confirms both questions, remake that poll to ask one question not 2 please and then i will vote and if was to ask is eq2 being canceled, i would say no, but since its asking me if is true or false by answering yes or no, it answers both questions lol.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• kurazaokurazao Member Posts: 3

their biggest expantion pack is comming out in 2 weeks....

"I DONT THING SO!!!"

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

OK let's look at this now:

1.  EQ2 has been out for about 2 years, while EQ1 has been with Sony for 6 years.

2.  EQ2 playerbase is currently growing with new players coming over because they are getting bored with WoW.

3.  EQ2  has it's biggest expansion ever coming out in two weeks.

4.  EQ2  is one of the most successful MMORPG's available right now.

Will Sony decide to drop this project for no apparant reason?  HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by Xandrya

1.  EQ2 has been out for about 2 years, while EQ1 has been with Sony for 6 years.
    2.  EQ2 playerbase is currently growing with new players coming over because they are getting bored with WoW.

With all due respect to SOE and the poster but WoW is now the most successfull MMORPG right now.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by JestorRodo

With all due respect to SOE and the poster but WoW is now the most successfull MMORPG right now.

I think that is why the op Said ONE OF not the MOST call me crazy though image key words are crazy arnt they

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

Someone is replying without reading the post properly.  Tut Tut! 

Methinks more oily fish in the Jester diet might help.  image

I gave up playing EQ2 ages ago but I really cant see SOE pulling the plug.  If things got tight they might shut down a server or two but I do not even consider than to be likely anytime soon.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

With all due respect, I did not say that EQ2 is THE most succesful MMORPG, I said it is ONE of the most successful MMORPG's right now.  Look at the rankings on this very website, EQ2 is ranked 6th with a rating of 8.2. No matter how successful WoW may or may not be, that does not diminish the fact that EQ2 IS a highly successful game and not one that Sony is likely to abandon anytime toon.
  • sartoriussartorius Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by boognish75
    dude yer poll asks me if it is rumor or false, either answer doesnt answer either question in that poll lol, it denies or confirms both questions, remake that poll to ask one question not 2 please and then i will vote and if was to ask is eq2 being canceled, i would say no, but since its asking me if is true or false by answering yes or no, it answers both questions lol.

Nah, read it again sunshine - it asks if the rumor is a farce, meaning is the rumor a lie. image

I made the same assumption the first time I glanced over the question as well though.

"Death is a dignitary who when he comes announced is to be received
    with formal manifestations of respect, even by those most familiar with him."
    - Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce

• KComerKComer Member Posts: 1
    This thread seems a bit dead, but I've been a bit concerned about the long term future of EQII since SoE picked up the Vanguard contract.... Any new thoughts on this? 
  • ZathriusZathrius Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by sartorius
    Originally posted by boognish75

Nah, read it again sunshine - it asks if the rumor is a farce, meaning is the rumor a lie. image

I made the same assumption the first time I glanced over the question as well though.

Thanks for pointing that out!!!  Now if i can get my hands on 2  7950 x2's or a 8800gts full detail here we go!!

• KyoteKyote Member Posts: 7
    Apparently another WOW player with poor reading skills.  I play wow as well as EQ 1 and 2, but comparing wow to any other mmorpg is a stretch.  Warcraft does not owe its number one standing in the marketplace to good development, graphics, etc. 

Blizzard owes its sucess to having the largest fan base in the world from their other games such as Diablo, starcraft and the warcraft series.  when you have millions of fans already built in, and you make a mmorpg version of your game you are going to get millions of subscribers even if half of the blizzard fan base dosent even give it a look.

Thats why I hate comparisons of WoW's success to other mmorpgs.  its not really fair.  EQ and DAOC, etc.. did not have a ready made fan base of millions to just port their game over to.  In all fairness, EQ was  and is very successful, because most mmo models are built on getting the 250,000+ subscribers... heck DAOC is considered very succesfull with half of that because mmo's are a niche in society. 

Warcrafts 7.5 million subscribers is truly awsome but you can't compare that to other mmos that had to build from the ground up.  Having a ready made base of fans from your tons of other games makes you an instant success.. if wow had opened with less than 2 or 3 million it would have been a flop considering all the rabid fans Blizzard has.

• ginfress01ginfress01 Member Posts: 203
    Unfortunate the cancer called SoE will never die...
  • CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Originally posted by kyote
    Apparently another WOW player with poor reading skills.  I play wow as well as EQ 1 and 2, but comparing wow to any other mmorpg is a stretch.  Warcraft does not owe its number one standing in the marketplace to good development, graphics, etc. 

Blizzard owes its sucess to having the largest fan base in the world from their other games such as Diablo, starcraft and the warcraft series.  when you have millions of fans already built in, and you make a mmorpg version of your game you are going to get millions of subscribers even if half of the blizzard fan base dosent even give it a look.

Thats why I hate comparisons of WoW's success to other mmorpgs.  its not really fair.  EQ and DAOC, etc.. did not have a ready made fan base of millions to just port their game over to.  In all fairness, EQ was  and is very successful, because most mmo models are built on getting the 250,000+ subscribers... heck DAOC is considered very succesfull with half of that because mmo's are a niche in society. 

Warcrafts 7.5 million subscribers is truly awsome but you can't compare that to other mmos that had to build from the ground up.  Having a ready made base of fans from your tons of other games makes you an instant success.. if wow had opened with less than 2 or 3 million it would have been a flop considering all the rabid fans Blizzard has.

Touche ' !!! image

** kinda like Warhammer banking on.......

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by ginfress01
    Unfortunate the cancer called SoE will never die...

You think SoE is a bad cancer, wait till Blizzard is done with you. Terminal.

• fawdownfawdown Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Thats a very goods post, Kyote.  Even though I am not a fan of warcraft in general,  because I think it lacks compared to most other strategy games, there is a good point here.  There was a huge player base already and lots of fans to draw on. 
  • MaldianMaldian Member Posts: 4
    Simply put.... It's not gonna happen.
  • MithrawMithraw Member Posts: 9
    Whoever told you that must've been confused with Star Wars Galaxies
  • boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

dude he said one of meaning there are multiple sucessful mmo's, he didnt say it was the most succesful you odd man.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• Seeker728Seeker728 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by kyote

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but to address this post in particular as well as offer my opinion on EQ2 getting the plug pulled.

1) Ain't going to happen, not till EQ1 gets unplugged first.  And right now, EQ1 is a cash cow still.  Why?  Because all of it's overhead is already paid for long ago, it's running costs are a fraction of it's profit flow, for one thing Sony is highly sensitive to is profit, they will not hesitate to axe a product the moment it fails to produce a sufficient profit.  EQ2 is steadily drawing people in from EQ1 still, not by the droves, but enough to warrant it.  If SOE were to pull the plug on anything, it'd be Matrix Online or SWG, those two are such failed ventures that it amazes me that SOE still offers them.

2) Wow does not owe it's current subscriber base to it's previous successes with other games.  Initially it had a built in fanbase, but that has long since been overshadowed.  At it's height, Warcraft/Diablo games sold 1.2 million copies.  Repeat, at it's height.  WoW has over 7 million subscribers, and from a player base not soley the U.S. market.  Blizzard was smart enough to realize the untapped potential of the Asian market and followed up on it. 

WoW's success hinges on it's accessibility.  Raid content not withstanding, it is able to satisfy a gaming expierence for a very broad spectrum of players, and with their xpac, they're redressing the fact that they were allowing themselves to get oriented towards a tiny niche of it's players.  I may not like everything that WoW has done, and I will readily concede that EQ2 has much deeper character development, but WoW's success is due to do most, if not all things, right for a player base that decides to have a life beyond playing a online game.   

Even peace may be purchased at too high a price, and the only time you are completely safe is when you lie in the grave.

• FreakysidFreakysid Member Posts: 4
    Can't see soe pulling plug yet .Arguably it's thier best endeavour to date .I do remember though reading very similar threads about eq1 all be it when eq2 came out .
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Not a fan but... No, I think EQ II can outlast Vanguard in years.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• MoonchyldMoonchyld Member Posts: 15

SoE is a fairly large company with many offices and teams working on a number of different things.  First, I realize that the original post here is about 4 years old but EQ2 is still not going anywhere.  They have ditched the AP style of expansion toward mass free content releases.  Neriak and a new evil fae race are being put in the next GU for free.. kind of.  I know of some long awaited things that are going to be put in a subsequent update.  They are improving the game and continuing to try to pull in new players.  I know, I know their promotion and marketing sucks.  We will see if it changes with Kunark which has great potential for nostalgia.

Now about Vanguard...  what it sounds like that game needs is someone to pay the devs salaries.   Sigil devs have intimate knowledge of the code so I would doubt that they would pull resources from EQ2 and put them on Vanguard while leaving EQ2 short.  I don't predict that.  There may be some trading around but EQ2 is a proven success.  I'm not talking success from a WoW subscriber standpoint but it's a quality game.   IMO.  It a success for SoE.  They won't shoot themselves in the foot because they 'may' be financing or developing Vanguard.  They are big enough to be working on a lot of titles at once. 

This discussion has been closed.