Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up in their beta?

So I have been reading up a bit on the game, the state of the beta (producer's update on their site and stuff) and then checked how many guilds are there. Eventually I came to a guild site which had postings that don't bode well. :(

Wickens:

So in other words, I probably wont be here much if at all really...
And honestly the beta has caused me to lose interest in the game
; So I'm not sure if I will
A- Have time for this
B- Buy the game in the long run

http://rczb.net/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1159

Morrywin:

So basicly, I don't know if I can find the money or time for this game either and I guess the beta also made me lose interest somehow. But I'll try to keep up a bit and you'll hear from me if I do decide to buy it.

http://rczb.net/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1175.0

Sarafanmorbid:

I've kinda been thinking the same recently, beta also hasnt really been what it should be, and my money situation is gradually getting worse and worse, and i cant see it getting better until at least November.

Synzielle:

Sorry to say but I'm put off by the beta too.

Snodge: 

I too am having a hard time staying interested in TCoS. I'll see beta through, but at the moment, I'm leaning more towards LOTRO.

So I dont know that guild and the ppls but it looks like some of them are die-hard fans (according to their history on the official forum). I mean 5 people losing interest must mean something, or am I completely off there? So I am wondering what's going on there? Can someone shed some light maybe? The NDA seems to be taken lightly for this game anyway.

Comments

• aspiinaspiin Member Posts: 66

Yea its a little hard to follow the beta...but seriously they have to do what they have to do. I think people are just toooo impatient. I think it will be a great game once everything is squared away. Just because 5 people cant deal with the wait/money donset mean that the whole place will come crashing down. More than likley those 5 arent dir-hard... lol... If the devs can keep my attention this long (trust me im picky) then the game is well worth it.

• JamirosJamiros Member Posts: 17

Hmmf! looks like die hard fans to me! One of the posters is even running a fansite, others have gathered 1000+ postings on the forums. I just had to look this up as I really hope this game will deliver. Also done some more digging in some private forums now; I am not going to post stuff because I can't link to it. Looks like it's one of these "get in and move on" betas for many, if ya know what I mean. image

I'll see. I'll def. try to get in closed beta and also try out the open period. The screenies and vids (while not showing much gameplay) are very promising. That should make for at least a bit of entertainment.

Thx mate! It's good to see someone being confident about the game! The problem I see is that you somewhat confirm that beta is not doing too well!? I have been testing a few MMOs in beta lately and you can do a lot of polishing in 2 months, if that is all they need to do! If they need to integrate new features, do polish and balancing...  image I just don't want another buggy mmo like Wow or more archlord, you know. image

• snethsneth Member UncommonPosts: 33
    the beta people shouldn't be saying anything since they are under strict NDA.

I cannot comment on the beta itself for this reason, but i have high hopes for everything.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Beta is beta, it is not the finished product, way way too many people think this is the case and don't consider the improvements that will occur from when yuo join the beta to the actual production model.

I've heard horror stories from when for example EVE and WoW were in beta, thats the point they are finished!!

• SnodgeSnodge Member Posts: 2
    Hello all - I'm a long time lurker, first time poster (as you can probably tell). I'm the same Snodge which is mentioned above, so I'd like to make some clarifications.

While I can't really speak for the others whose comments are also quoted, I do know that some of them have real life issues which have started to take precedence.

Let me start out by saying that while I was finding it hard to stay interested in TCoS, it's not due to anything related to the game or the community itself. I've never been all that keen on PvP, and it just seemed to me that recently much of the focus in articles on RPG Vault or here on MMORPG.com seemed to be shifting the focus to PvP.

On a personal side of things, after about a year or so of playing or following any game, I tend to lose focus, regardless of the game. I don't really know why, for me it just happens. It happened with UO, DAoC, Horizons (although THAT is understandable), City of Heroes, Planetside and SWG (before the huge nerfbat of God swiped down upon the multitude), and WoW.

I spent some time out from TCoS, and while still following it, it has been at a more relaxed pace. I've been playing WoW (after a break from it for a year), and while still enjoying WoW, and looking forward to the expansion, I am still looking forward to TCoS. And also to LoTRO. I'm also keeping an eye on Hero's Journey, and 9dragons.

I'm basically trying to find a way where I won't just burn-out on a game, or at least not burn out so quickly. I'm going to be playing 2 or 3 online games simultaneously to see if this fixes me; I can assure you that one of these games will be TCoS.

Even with the PvP side of things possibly taking a back seat, I know I can stay interested in the other aspected of the TCoS universe; the fantastic lore and background information released as scrolls on the official site, and the background to the current state of affairs on the different Shardrealms in the recent RPG Vault articles have got me hooked again.

And along with other community members, I'll still be (and still am) taking an active roll in updating information on Wikiborn - a site generously hosted by TCoS, but looked after and updated exclusively by the community.

If anyone has any doubts at all regarding the game, rather than talking to a fanboi as I may be considered, join the chat on the TCoS IRC. During the daylight hours here in the EU, there are often TCoS employees available to answer queries, as long as it doesn't break the NDA. The dev team maybe fairly small compared to some game developments, but it is certainly one of the more accessible and friendly teams; and judging from the official forums, the same can be said for the community as a whole.

The intention of these comments isn't to turn anyone into a raving fanboi (although if it does, I'll consider that a bonus!), but to reassure people that after following the progress of TCoS for over a year, it is still a game to remain interested in, and one that I personally will play when it is released.

If you have read this far, thankyou for your time and patience, and letting me clear my rather ambiguous comments from the RCZB forum up!

Snodge

• burrekburrek Member Posts: 198
    I looked at the vnboards and on their TCOS forum everyone seems to think that this game is a joke.

I do hope they have an open beta before release so I can try the game myself.

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by burrek
    I looked at the vnboards and on their TCOS forum everyone seems to think that this game is a joke.

I do hope they have an open beta before release so I can try the game myself.

I think a lot of that has to due with people not realizing that the game is in an early stage of closed beta and of course there's quite a bit of work to be done. From what I've heard in the beta it has a number of issues, but many understand that the game isn't a finished product.

I'd like to try the game myself either in closed or open beta, and get a feel for it as it makes the transition into release.

Early beta? image

“The game is really coming together,” he continues. “We’re working on the final details prior to release and looking at the planning for the first post-release period. What will happen after the release depends largely on how well the game is received and played, of course, but thankfully that doesn’t stop the flow of ideas, which are channelled into designs for expansions.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/column_index.php?story=8447

The game is about to be released, so what you see now is what you get. That or the team is making up dates to keep the community interested. Either way, not nice...

I also hope I'll get into beta myself...

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by Jamiros
    Early beta? image

“The game is really coming together,” he continues. “We’re working on the final details prior to release and looking at the planning for the first post-release period. What will happen after the release depends largely on how well the game is received and played, of course, but thankfully that doesn’t stop the flow of ideas, which are channelled into designs for expansions.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/column_index.php?story=8447

The game is about to be released, so what you see now is what you get. That or the team is making up dates to keep the community interested. Either way, not nice...

I also hope I'll get into beta myself...

Every game says they're really coming together. And it doesn't say when they plan to release the game. The part you underlined is just them saying they're looking at their plans once the game is launched. They don't say when that is. I think release won't be until Q1 of next year. But eh, we'll see.

I think nobody is expecting this company to release this year. I am in two betas for games that are due next year. Both are basically feature complete and working on the polishing now. Yet, the teams still says they have a lot of work to do there. I really don't know about Spellborn

This game has been in beta almost a year now. You really can't say "early beta" anymore. That's not a good excuse for having a "sucky" beta or game a few months before release.

I hope this game succeeds (it's looking so fresh, love it!) but everything I read from "neutral" people on forums makes me very skeptical. I wouldn't waste my time reading forums every day finding "hope" to keep me interested otherwise.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526
    One thing to keep in mind is, that all the people you mentioned have
    been hyping tcos since day one :) ... their expectations are high ....
    and it's much easier to be dissapointed then....

Let's just wait and see at release ..

• AphexAphex Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by burrekI looked at the vnboards and on their TCOS forum everyone seems to think that this game is a joke. I do hope they have an open beta before release so I can try the game myself.

I don't think that any of them were actually beta testers. At least none of them said they were.

• L0k1-L0k1- Member Posts: 240
    alpha version is going to end on november 15th then the closed beta is going to start, they also said they will be releasing some ingame movies in the coming weeks.

would be nice to c some more moving stuff in the end so you can get a clear picture of what it's all about

• SomnulusSomnulus Member Posts: 354

The announced release is Q1 2007. So, they have at least another three to five months to polish the game before the release.

Haven't gotten into the closed beta, though I would have liked to. I will, of course, try the open beta. I like a lot of the concepts the game has, although I'm a little leery of yet another fantasy MMORPG.

Abbatoir / Abbatoir Cinq
    Adnihilo
    Beorn Judge's Edge
    Somnulus
    Perfect Black
    ----------------------
    Asheron's Call / Asheron's Call 2
    Everquest / Everquest 2
    Anarchy Online
    Shadowbane
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Matrix Online
    World of Warcraft
    Guild Wars
    City of Heroes

• YsharrosYsharros Member Posts: 87
    Comments from disgruntled beta testers, for *any* game in development, should only be taken with a healthy side-order of salt, never mind a single grain.

For one, ethical beta-testers will keep mum, since that's what Non-Disclosure Agreements require. So you won't get to hear anything positive from testers who actually care to keep their legal obligations. For another, some people just like to moan and whine, and for the most part we're not privy to whatever reasons may be behind said moaning and whining.

"zomg this game sux!" is something you'll hear about every single game in development, purely because some people can't keep their mouths shut and/or like to hear themselves complain. /shrug

Wait till release, make up your own mind. Sound advice for life in general, but even better for games. With such a huge cross-section of players & player tastes, these days, "peer" review isn't always reliable. ;)