Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Kerry: U.S. Soldiers Not 'Smart'

Comments

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Well I think my assumption was correct. I just read that Kerry said his remark was aimed at Bush and not our troops. Like Kerry or not, saying he was taking aim at our troops is pretty moronic. He would gain nothing and lose everything all at once by saying it. It's just more propoganda from the other side. Kind of like how they say, We haven't caught Osama and it's Bill Clintons fault. Not that I liked Clinton either, I actually voted against him. I would have voted Republican had it not been Bush as a candidate. The only reason Gore or Kerry got my vote was because I knew when Bush was running we'd be in Iraq in no time if he were elected. Had to finish what his inept father couldn't. 

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by lardmouth
    "You know, education, if you make the most of it and you study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you -- you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq. " Yeah, because our troops didn't want to make an effort to be smart.  That's why they joined.  That, and they didn't do homework , nor study hard.  It  has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to volunteer for the armed forces.

No, he is saying your last option is the millitary if you can't get though the education system, which is pretty dam close to correct. 

He never said "All the troops are there because they were forced to go there."  If Kerry would say something like that in such a nationalistic nation, then he would be a complete retard.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• lardmouthlardmouth Member Posts: 701

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

Originally posted by lardmouth

"You know, education, if you make the most of it and you study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you -- you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq. "
    Yeah, because our troops didn't want to make an effort to be smart.  That's why they joined.  That, and they didn't do homework , nor study hard.  It  has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to volunteer for the armed forces.

No, he is saying your last option is the millitary if you can't get though the education system, which is pretty dam close to correct. 

He never said "All the troops are there because they were forced to go there."  If Kerry would say something like that in such a nationalistic nation, then he would be a complete retard.

Oddy your statement makes it worse.  Because our soldier couldn't make it through the education system, they have to join the military?  I'm not sure why you think that sounds better.
  • XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697
    What kerry said was that if you couldn't make it in the education path, the military was where you had to go, and therefore you need to make it in the educational path, otherwise you'll end up in iraq.

He didn't call anyone stupid, he said that if you don't make an effort in education, you'd get stuck in iraq with the rest of those guys.

I don't agree with this statement, yet people are blowing it out of porportion and being utterly retarded.

• LilithIshtarLilithIshtar Member Posts: 667

Originally posted by Xexima
    What kerry said was that if you couldn't make it in the education path, the military was where you had to go, and therefore you need to make it in the educational path, otherwise you'll end up in iraq.

He didn't call anyone stupid, he said that if you don't make an effort in education, you'd get stuck in iraq with the rest of those guys.

I don't agree with this statement, yet people are blowing it out of porportion and being utterly retarded.

I don't agree with it either as well, but people are screaming bloody murder like it's the end of the world.

I can actualy graduate early from High School and go to UCCS if I wanted too. But I plan on going Navy instead to get the education I want for the field I want. And for the benifits.

If you join the army, you do in fact have a higher chance of going to Iraq than any of the other branches, that's for sure. But it isn't 100% everyone of course. It's based on what field you're training for or going into.

Now if you want to shoot people and watch innocent people die for a worthless war, than go ahead and go army and tell them that. My own brother is in Basic trainging right now in the Army, and they already told him because of his carreer choice, he'll be going to Iraq once his training is done. Lovely eh?

Independant, Shinto, Lesbian, and Proud!

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by qotsa
    Well I think my assumption was correct. I just read that Kerry said his remark was aimed at Bush and not our troops. Like Kerry or not, saying he was taking aim at our troops is pretty moronic.

It's pretty moronic to believe that he was talking about Bush rather than the troops, considering he never even mentioned George Bush anywhere in the course of the statement...but okay, keep believing whatever he feeds you...Do a little thinking for yourself, go look up the quote for yourself, and ask yourself "does that have to do with George Bush in the slightest?"

It doesn't...he is backtracking because he knows that he screwed up.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by Draenor
    Well I think my assumption was correct. I just read that Kerry said his remark was aimed at Bush and not our troops. Like Kerry or not, saying he was taking aim at our troops is pretty moronic.

It's pretty moronic to believe that he was talking about Bush rather than the troops, considering he never even mentioned George Bush anywhere in the course of the statement...but okay, keep believing whatever he feeds you...Do a little thinking for yourself, go look up the quote for yourself, and ask yourself "does that have to do with George Bush in the slightest?"

Not everyone thinks or looks at things the same way you do.

But that's okay, you continue on thinking that all you want. It wont make a difference. ^^

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

How do you not see that as a direct attack on bush?  He is saying that nowadays if you don't do well in school your only other option is to get sent to iraq.  He is obviously implying that it is bush's fault, that there are no unskilled jobs, and that there is a war in iraq.

There isn't disrespecting the soldiers in Iraq, people are just retarded.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

Well to me this seems as if republicans were looking for anything they could get on the democrats and they took this and ran with it. I do not for one second think that Kerry intentionally ment that our soldiers in Iraq are stupid yet the way he said what he said was poorly worded. And of coarse now everyone is saying all over the news that Kerry said our troops are not smart and it all getting blown out of porportion and everyone and their mom are jumping on the Kerry bashing bandwagon. I wish people would stop and use their brain just for a few seconds.

god politics is so freaking stupid

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by Xexima

No.  Kerry knew what he was saying, and who he was saying it to.  It was intended as a joke that worked for the original audience, but not for people outside the audience.  If Kerry weren't being condescending and veiled, he would have just said, "If you are dumb and lazy, you end up in Iraq."  Everyone knows that is what he meant regardless of whether it was a joke or not.  When everything is said and done within the media on this subject, Kerry will still have been disrespectful to the very people he has been claiming for years to care the most about.  And that is why there is backlash.

Originally posted by LilithIshtar

But that's okay, you continue on thinking that all you want. It wont make a difference. ^^

Please see my post in Reavo's thread about gay marriage...it's not a matter of thinking the way I do, it's a matter of common sense.  The fact that Kerry switched gears from his coment being about people in the military to suddenly being about Bush is laughable.  If you honestly believe that Kerry was refering to Bush then you need to stop and read the statement again...The idea that he was refering to Bush is laughable...he knows what he was talking about, and he knows that he screwed up, so now he is doing the popular thing and passing it onto Bush.

But that's okay, you continue believing whatever the democrats feed you.  It won't make a difference.

^^

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

By the way, is it a bit odd that I find LilithIshtar's signature to be more of a jab at non republicans?  It basically says that republicans don't tend to follow cultural trends, which I'm actually quite proud of.

• lardmouthlardmouth Member Posts: 701

"You know, education, if you make the most of it and you study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you -- you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq. "

He didn't say "If you can't afford a secondary education, you get stuck in Iraq."

...study hard...do your homework....make an effort to be smart....if you don't,  you get stuck in Iraq. 

So basically, if you're lazy and have no ambition, you go into the military.  There is no other way to translate that.  He's obviously talking about the military.

Please see my post in Reavo's thread about gay marriage...it's not a matter of thinking the way I do, it's a matter of common sense.  The fact that Kerry switched gears from his coment being about people in the military to suddenly being about Bush is laughable.  If you honestly believe that Kerry was refering to Bush then you need to stop and read the statement again...The idea that he was refering to Bush is laughable...he knows what he was talking about, and he knows that he screwed up, so now he is doing the popular thing and passing it onto Bush.

But that's okay, you continue believing whatever the democrats feed you.  It won't make a difference.

^^

Read my post again.

Not EVERYONE thinks the same way as you.

It isn't a matter of common sense.

And a matter of different views and opinions.

I don't even like Kerry and Im not even a big fan of Democrats or Republicans either. I do my own research and decide for myself, not what some Democrat "feeds" me, I think for myself after all.

But that was a damn good try.

---

And about my signature.

It's a bloody comic. I change it every few days. I found it funny, so I put it up.

Nothing else. Lol?

Read my post again.

Not EVERYONE thinks the same way as you.

It isn't a matter of common sense.

And a matter of different views and opinions.

I don't even like Kerry and Im not even a big fan of Democrats or Republicans either. I do my own research and decide for myself, not what some Democrat "feeds" me, I think for myself after all.

But that was a damn good try.

---

And about my signature.

It's a bloody comic. I change it every few days. I found it funny, so I put it up.

Nothing else. Lol?

How very defensive of you about the comic...considering I never stated my presumption that the thing was supposed to be bashing republicans...and considering what your last political cartoon was, and your past posts, it's not very difficult to assertain where most of your political leanings lie, at least socially...you're not nearly as mystereous as you seem to like to believe, at least not for someone who can actually do some deductive reasoning.

Thanks for clarifying that not everybody thinks the way that I do, I was under the impression that everybody in the world was exactly like me...spare me your generic psychobable attempts to refute what I say, I'm smarter than you give me credit for, and I don't get flustered by blatant attempts to take away any credibility by making the absurd assumption that I presume everyone thinks like I do.

It's not a matter of different views and opinions, it's a matter of basic sentence comprehension...the quote is a few posts above mine, read it yourself and then look at yourself in the mirrior while you say that he was talking about George Bush...What Kerry is trying to do is further the typical "if you don't think like I do then you are stupid" mind set that is so common in Politics..."if you didn't get that I meant George Bush is stupid when I said that people in the military are uneducated, then you are just not very bright!"

Okay Mr.Kerry, keep telling yourself that...I swear, politicians think that we are all so god damned stupid...but I guess some people really do give them that impression.

• anaicanaic Member Posts: 409

*edit*

• bhagamubhagamu Member Posts: 425

It's not a matter of different views and opinions, it's a matter of basic sentence comprehension...

Ah. I'm glad you brought this up, because I just finished reading the quote now after going through the whole day wishing John Kerry would retire.

"You don't" applies to which color?
    If it applies to either red or cyan, it implies that failure of the education system or ignorance of the power of education results in an almost forced military career.

If it applies to blue, yellow, green or purple, it means that troops are stupid.

If it applies to all of them, we have one f**ked up sentence. /shrug

www.draftgore.com
    Gore '08

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by 8hammer8

I just knew Outfctrl was going to bring this up as soon as I heard it on the radio today...and yep, like white on rice he was all over it.image

Come on Hammer, that statement he made was just not right.  I spent 6 years in the Navy, went in with a high school education and made rank E-6 in 4.5 years.  I talked my Brother into joining the Navy when he was 18.  He is now an E-9 with almost 30 years in.  Most kids do join the military out of high school.  I have a son who is 15 and I have been talking to him about joining the military, but recommended that he first get his college degree and go in as an officer.

The military is good for our young ones.  It teaches discipline and respect. You make friends for life there and create a bond that never breaks.  When people talk down about the military, I get really pissed.  Sorry

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I read the statement to the students by Kerry, and there is no way in hell to interpret his remarks as anti-Bush. Regardless of what he meant in his feeble brain, calling it a "botched joke about Bush", his remark can only be taken as being aimed at the troops education levels. That's my opinion, and while it may not mean much in the grand scheme of things, I stand by it. Kerry hopefully killed what was left of his dwindling political career.

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Originally posted by outfctrl

Come on Hammer, that statement he made was just not right.  I spent 6 years in the Navy, went in with a high school education and made rank E-6 in 4.5 years.  I talked my Brother into joining the Navy when he was 18.  He is now an E-9 with almost 30 years in.  Most kids do join the military out of high school.  I have a son who is 15 and I have been talking to him about joining the military, but recommended that he first get his college degree and go in as an officer.

The military is good for our young ones.  It teaches discipline and respect. You make friends for life there and create a bond that never breaks.  When people talk down about the military, I get really pissed.  Sorry

Actually, I think we are confusing education and intelligence. A person can have one, and not the other. The point made above is a very valuable point, alot of people do join the military right out of high school. One of the benefits they are looking at is the ability to go to the university of their choice once they are discharged. For those who cannot afford college, or who's family cannot afford to send them to college, this is a very valuable benefit. To me, Kerry's comment does not indicate that the troops are unintelligent, it just indicates that they are high school graduates. I have known many career NCOs with masters degrees, it is not as uncommon as you may think. LittleIshtar is looking for the educational access, and considering the military as a career, once she actually gets in, she may see more of the benefits and decide to stay. This is a decision entirely up to her, but, in no way, does it imply that she is stupid. Intelligence and education are apples and oranges.
  • sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by outfctrl

Originally posted by 8hammer8

I just knew Outfctrl was going to bring this up as soon as I heard it on the radio today...and yep, like white on rice he was all over it.image

Wow How did you make E-6 in 4.5 years im in the military and well thats almost impossible now.. anyhow his statement is correct ive deployed twice and spent my time with some really dumb people and the 4.7% of bachelor degrees are officers Not many enlisted have any degree. And most are not even trying to get one trust me. i suppose your military and my military are way different. Not attacking you but i do agree with Kerry.

So for all you that thought about joining just go to college you will get far more out of life. Bout to talk crap on the military so outfctrl stop reading pleaseimage Were under paid over worked and if some one says jump you pretty much have to say how high. The military im in is all about politics now no longer how good you are at your job for promotion perposes its Whos ass did I kiss this month.. Im sorry this Military sux in my opinion nuff said.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by sly220

Wow How did you make E-6 in 4.5 years im in the military and well thats almost impossible now 

When I joined the Navy in 71', I signed up for 6 years, not the standard 4.  When I got out of boot camp, I was an E-4. I scrambled and studied my ass off.  There wasnt a time-in-service stipulation back then.  I made Second increment for E-5 and 1st increment for E-6.  My rate in the Navy was all sea going, so the Navy had a hard time holding on to people that did my job.  I was an Operations Specialist (OS1).  Radar, Anti-submarine air controller, Anti-air warfare, anti-submarine warfare and surface to surface warfare.  I spent my entire six years out to sea, with the exception of the schools I went to.  You know what?  I would do it all over again!

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

After actually watching Kerry make the speech containing the quote, something only 5% of those spreading false info have done, I am absolutely 100% positive he was knocking bush for his infamous C Average and not the troops themselves.

I am equally as positive that Hannity, Rove, Limbaugh, McCain, Snow, Bush, and most of Fox News know the comment was toward Bush but saw an oppurtunity to twist it so that their mindless listeners(sheep) would go out among their peers and spread the lie. They can really count on the Republican base mindlessly repeating absolutely everything they say without forming any real opinions of their own.

I love watching puppets dance.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Laserwolf

I love watching puppets dance.

Me too. you're doing a fine two-step::::02::

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383
    I don't really think so. I also wasn't calling you a puppet. You saw the quote and formed your own opinion. It is a wrong opinion, but not someone elses.