Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel MMO - can it be much different from City of heroes/Villains?

Now before any CoH fans flame me, I loved CoV. I thought it was a great game that was lots of fun and very action packed. My only problem with it is that it was never very deep.

so with that being said, I am wondering how different Marvels MMO will be. I mean you really can't put in "gear" for the same reason you have no gear in CoH/V ... right?

So am i just not thinking outside the box enough or do you think the marvel MMO will be a "Coh Clone"?

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, there is one major difference I'm aware of. In CoH/CoV you created your own unique supers. In Marvel, you play the classics.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

I believe they are able to create a very good game, better  than Coh/COV... After all, they're already going in that direction for better missions and stuff right? Some of their updates are pretty cool...

However, I don't know if they will actually do it... Reason being, they might not want to hurt their Coh/COV franchise or whatever reason and end up creating something really different but not necessarily good or whatever...

Well, that's my take on it...

• XApotheosisXXApotheosisX Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by LordDarkmist

I believe they are able to create a very good game, better  than Coh/COV... After all, they're already going in that direction for better missions and stuff right? Some of their updates are pretty cool...

However, I don't know if they will actually do it... Reason being, they might not want to hurt their Coh/COV franchise or whatever reason and end up creating something really different but not necessarily good or whatever...

Well, that's my take on it...

wait a minute, are you saying there is a site for the new Marvel MMO coming out? I haven't heard anything except the press release and the trailer.

please enlighten me image

• InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115
    If its not instanced I'll play it. I couldn't stand that about CoV, and for that reason I only played it for a weekend.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Aelfinn
    Well, there is one major difference I'm aware of. In CoH/CoV you created your own unique supers. In Marvel, you play the classics.

Why would anyone.. wanna play an mmo where you assume a character and not create your own hero from scratch.

I am interested to see how this marvel game will work.. seeing how no two heros/villains in the marvel universe are alike, having a class system will be extremely lame. I think only a totally free skill system will work i just think this game is uneeded.

I dont see it surpassing City of heros/villians, and even if it does i dont see it bringing anything to the world that cov/h hasnt already done.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

I very much doubt that, most likely you will create you own heros there too or do you really think we will have groups of 5 spidermans and 3 hulks walking around doing missions? :)

Difference will be that it's the classics that will give you the missions and you are going to fight against the classic villains.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by Mcgreag

I very much doubt that, most likely you will create you own heros there too or do you really think we will have groups of 5 spidermans and 3 hulks walking around doing missions? :)

Difference will be that it's the classics that will give you the missions and you are going to fight against the classic villains.

Agreed, i think the only role the Marvel Superheroes will play will be as NPC's.
  • WoodslingWoodsling Member Posts: 78

Well... I for one can't see it getting any worse than CoH. I truly hated that game. (Kepp in mind that I LOVE super heroes)

And of course you can have gears and trinkets in game (I assume that with gears you mean items?). There are so many things that could be implemented in a super hero game without adding extra powers with every item you find.
    Cell phones, buyable costume parts, high tech items like computers/monitors, furniture and decoratives for your HQ, food items of all kinds with or without boosts, ordinary weapons, pets, alter ego clothes, vehicles of all sorts, musical instruments... want me to continue?

And maybe they'll actually implement true super hero powers instead of the CoH "Do-the-same-thing-but-with-different-color"-powers?

I'd love to make myself a little, rubbery super heroinne that can elongate her arms and/or hair.

Originally posted by XApotheosisX
    wait a minute, are you saying there is a site for the new Marvel MMO coming out? I haven't heard anything except the press release and the trailer.
    please enlighten me image

Errrr, sorry noimage... Actually, I was talking about COH/COV in itself, about their ideas, updates and stuff since the game launched... I feel that COH/COV was more of an 'experiment', because afterall it is the first superhero based mmo to come out... So I really do think they have a good idea by now to create something alot better, but like I said, because of their franchise they might not end up making something better than COH/COV, but instead do something really different to distinguish the 2, and in trying to do that would result in a mediocre game or whatever...
  • LvciferLvcifer Member Posts: 127

wait, there is a Marvel MMO trailer already?

post the link pls..

MyBrute = addicting mini online game!

you can find a lot of game trailers on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRoBtB7BQZI

This only shows the 3d modeling aspect of the game... And personally, I think it's magnificent.. They did a great job...

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    Marvel MMO is going to amount to COH 2. There will no doubt be some fairly major tweaks to it, but the basic core of the game will be very unlikely to change. The reason I say this is that, to my knowledge, Jack Emmert (= Statesman) is going to design it, and COH is basically an expression of his design philosophy. It's hard to imagine him doing things all that differently because he likes how COH works.

C