Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

confirmation that this game is NOT growing

admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Its been said before by folks in SOE that SWG has lost players and continues to do so. However some players remain in denial. Here is a post that provides more confrmation that the game is dying.

Post states that the game has lost perhaps 50% of its players since the NGE. And knowing SOE and how it counts station pass and free trial players, its surely a lot more than half.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/100999

Without specifically calling broad changes to one of its flagship game titles a mistake, heads of development at Sony Online Entertainment, particularly its Austin studio, had a message for its audience on the final day and final hour of the Austin Game Conference.

In the context of new development methods adopted within the past year by the studio responsible for Star Wars Galaxies, which a year ago saw several drastic changes to the game-world's overall experience, SOE's John Blakely and Todd Fiala issued a warning: "Don't make our mistakes."

"I would have done it a lot differently, and I think that's what's really been driving a lot of this," said Blakely, SOE's vice president of development, regarding the SWG changes known collectively as the New Game Enhancements, or NGE. Those changes, rolled out shortly after the previous year's AGC, resulted in several departures of development employees, and a significant portion of the customer population – by some estimates cutting it in half.

There you have it, no more claims can be made by fanbois that the game is growing. Of course Smedley said the same thing 6 months ago and it still didnt sink in.

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Who has said the game hasn't lost people?

Btw, that part isn't said by the SOE staff but speculated by the reporter.

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Originally posted by Obraik

Pirrg of course. He's always trolling about how much bigger the NGE community is than the preCU one.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Originally posted by kimosabe

Pirrg of course. He's always trolling about how much bigger the NGE community is than the preCU one.

Lol, yeah but who really takes any of his posts seriously at this point? Obraik makes meaningful posts, Pirrg is like almost the exact opposite of Obraik imo.

Love, Sodapop

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

What?

Your reaching ... stop it.

Crap, read what the games producers said for crap sake.

I mean at what point do you just read it?   Crap O-- I mean it's one thing to try to make it sound good but at least understand the jist of it.

What do you need in writing from a Dev or President of the company to satisfy you at this being a failure?

Originally posted by iskareot

What?

I mean at what point do you just read it?   Crap O-- I mean it's one thing to try to make it sound good but at least understand the jist of it.

What do you need in writing from a Dev or President of the company to satisfy you at this being a failure?

Who's reaching? ;)

just for reference:

"I would have done it a lot differently, and I think that's what's really been driving a lot of this," said Blakely, SOE's vice president of development, regarding the SWG changes known collectively as the New Game Enhancements, or NGE. Those changes, rolled out shortly after the previous year's AGC, resulted in several departures of development employees, and a significant portion of the customer population – by some estimates cutting it in half.

The red is what is a quote by the SOE people.  The rest is based on the reporters own views and isn't an official statement.  It's speculation, whether it's true or not.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Who has said the game hasn't lost people? Btw, that part isn't said by the SOE staff but speculated by the reporter.

What?

Who's reaching? ;)

just for reference:

The red is what is a quote by the SOE people.  The rest is based on the reporters own views and isn't an official statement.  It's speculation, whether it's true or not.

End of thread.

To the rest, check my sig if you want to know about swg subscription numbers.

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by pirrg

What?

Who's reaching? ;)

just for reference:

End of thread.

Arguing over the semantics of blame for the NGE ( I don't need an official statement to say something was screwed up I can see for myself) and subscription numbers is all a bit pointless. It could be 500 or 500,000. Who knows for sure? The only thing that concerns me is that each server I try is empty, so the trial for me has been disappointing.

...  The rest is based on the reporters own views and isn't an official statement.  It's speculation, whether it's true or not.

End of thread.

Well, what do you know? I have no idea how I guessed who the author of that thread was going to be. Anyway there are flaws to your statistics. You say 400-500 players per server, which is only the population of the highest couple, the others were mostly between 200-300 and some were even below that. Then you use EvE statistics to guestimate what percent of subscribers are concurrently playing. EvE has closer to 30k players on at a time, not always more than 30k, but much closer to that than 20k, thus skewing your percentages. You get a number between 60k and 85k with your calculations and then you pull out an imaginary amount of new players upping it to your proposed 100-150k players.

If you fix up your statistics a little bit, you end up with a calculated total closer to 48k before the claimed return of thousands of players, so maybe 62k. That was giving your statistics the benefit of the doubt, if I wanted to spin the numbers, I can get a figure closer to 20k, and maybe 35k with the buffer addition. Either way, the NGE "hidden rollback" updates have far from doubled or tripled SWG subscriptions. You also have to take into account all the vets coming back on free trials and prospective customers trialing the game for the first time.

Hopefully, the margin of error I've shown helps prove that statistics are never a good method of calculation. The Erlichs (conservationists and philosophers) prove in their arguments that, with statistics, they are always spun and manipulated, creating a "tyranny of illusionary precision." Sorry for bringing up old threads, but you can't claim any more credibility or accuracy than I can, leaving plausible speculation anywhere from 30k to 90k.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    It be dead, no 2 ways about it b.

(lol)

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by admriker4

Its been said before by folks in SOE that SWG has lost players and continues to do so. However some players remain in denial. Here is a post that provides more confrmation that the game is dying.
    Post states that the game has lost perhaps 50% of its players since the NGE. And knowing SOE and how it counts station pass and free trial players, its surely a lot more than half.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/100999
    Without specifically calling broad changes to one of its flagship game titles a mistake, heads of development at Sony Online Entertainment, particularly its Austin studio, had a message for its audience on the final day and final hour of the Austin Game Conference.

In the context of new development methods adopted within the past year by the studio responsible for Star Wars Galaxies, which a year ago saw several drastic changes to the game-world's overall experience, SOE's John Blakely and Todd Fiala issued a warning: "Don't make our mistakes."

There you have it, no more claims can be made by fanbois that the game is growing. Of course Smedley said the same thing 6 months ago and it still didnt sink in.

I am sort of confused on what part of any of this has anything to do with any sort of confirmation. I have read through all this a few times and I still don’t see anything that is a confirmation of what the OP is trying to proclaim. Maybe if you could please give some links for your confirmation that would be nice. Thanks. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

...  The rest is based on the reporters own views and isn't an official statement.  It's speculation, whether it's true or not.

End of thread.

Well, what do you know? I have no idea how I guessed who the author of that thread was going to be. Anyway there are flaws to your statistics. You say 400-500 players per server, which is only the population of the highest couple, the others were mostly between 200-300 and some were even below that. Then you use EvE statistics to guestimate what percent of subscribers are concurrently playing. EvE has closer to 30k players on at a time, not always more than 30k, but much closer to that than 20k, thus skewing your percentages. You get a number between 60k and 85k with your calculations and then you pull out an imaginary amount of new players upping it to your proposed 100-150k players.

If you fix up your statistics a little bit, you end up with a calculated total closer to 48k before the claimed return of thousands of players, so maybe 62k. That was giving your statistics the benefit of the doubt, if I wanted to spin the numbers, I can get a figure closer to 20k, and maybe 35k with the buffer addition. Either way, the NGE "hidden rollback" updates have far from doubled or tripled SWG subscriptions. You also have to take into account all the vets coming back on free trials and prospective customers trialing the game for the first time.

Hopefully, the margin of error I've shown helps prove that statistics are never a good method of calculation. The Erlichs (conservationists and philosophers) prove in their arguments that, with statistics, they are always spun and manipulated, creating a "tyranny of illusionary precision." Sorry for bringing up old threads, but you can't claim any more credibility or accuracy than I can, leaving plausible speculation anywhere from 30k to 90k.

I never could understand this argument about number of subscription playing this game SWG, everyone is throwing out numbers and doing calculations breaking out their calculators and punch in numbers to say look there are only 4 people play SWG no there isn’t there are 300,000, nahhhhh there are only 40,000, no your wrong there are 150,000, when in the end everyone looks like a monkey. No one knows what the numbers are, the one and only thing that I do know for a fact is that there are well over one million copies of SWG sold so to me there are at least over one million players who quite SWG the vast majority of them quitting during the Pre-CU game play, and the minority of them quitting during the CU and NGE. So in easy going terms, if you like the game have fun, if not then don’t play. Bring it on down now.

I wasn't trying to make any specific claims, but my post was to show that pirrg's data is too unreliable and his calculations too vague to come up with any viable estimate at the population of SWG. I don't mean to say I know all the numbers, but by using the data given, the huge margin of error makes any mathematical guess worthless.

• pjskullpjskull Member Posts: 65

/sigh.

No math, no "based on this foggy math" calulations, no interpretation of dev statements, no relying on a site that uses guesswork to generated half-assed pie charts of subscriptions.

For all I know, SWG has 5 million paying subscribers.

BUT...

I played since launch and quit about 3 weeks after NGE.  I played solidly the entire time with no cancellation.

The bottom line can't be disputed by anyone being honest with themselves.  The number of people on the servers actively playing the game is noticably and significantly down from it's Pre-CU peak.

Who knows how many people are paying, but people certainly are not playing...

If you disagree with this, you are either an idiot or delusional.

Altre Monserrat - MBH/MP
    Aaden Monserrat - Elder Jedi
    Starsider - <DFC> - Dark Force Clan

What?

Who's reaching? ;)

just for reference:

SO let me get this straight -- you think that JUST ONE PART is true and the rest of the article about it being a mistake and what they said about it is not?

So them using the Titanic phrases and calling this a mistake is all speculation?

Are you kidding?

Please...... your almost as bad as some GS's then.   I mean look, if you want to THINK this is all pretend and they never said that then I think you need to take some time off.    I understand the la la land concept and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain concept but still.....

How the Hell you think this is all pretend or speculation that they said that is somewhat sad.    I wish you would contact me because I have some land I want to sell you bigtime...

Originally posted by pjskull

/sigh.
    No math, no "based on this foggy math" calulations, no interpretation of dev statements, no relying on a site that uses guesswork to generated half-assed pie charts of subscriptions.
    For all I know, SWG has 5 million paying subscribers.
    BUT...
    I played since launch and quit about 3 weeks after NGE.  I played solidly the entire time with no cancellation.
    The bottom line can't be disputed by anyone being honest with themselves.  The number of people on the servers actively playing the game is noticably and significantly down from it's Pre-CU peak.
    Who knows how many people are paying, but people certainly are not playing...
    If you disagree with this, you are either an idiot or delusional.

Well I can think of two that fit both of your comments.

And yes, I know it''s hard to understand how someone cannot see this....Maybe drugs... who knows..

What?

Who's reaching? ;)

just for reference:

SO let me get this straight -- you think that JUST ONE PART is true and the rest of the article about it being a mistake and what they said about it is not?

So them using the Titanic phrases and calling this a mistake is all speculation?

Are you kidding?

Please...... your almost as bad as some GS's then.   I mean look, if you want to THINK this is all pretend and they never said that then I think you need to take some time off.    I understand the la la land concept and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain concept but still.....

How the Hell you think this is all pretend or speculation that they said that is somewhat sad.    I wish you would contact me because I have some land I want to sell you bigtime...

With reporting it’s the same whether is for Politics or gaming or movies or what ever, reports do take bits and parts of things and basically put I together and speculate what it could mean, they never say, that is exactly what it means, they make it sound like that is what it could mean, its is usually speculation at best, and this is common in any form of reporting. Turn on your TV, watch CNN, and you will see what I mean in just 10 mins of watching it. Bring it on down now.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Huh? pirrg said the game is growning and and getting better everyday. image

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• turascturasc Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by BlazinBlades

End of thread.

I never could understand this argument about number of subscription playing this game SWG, everyone is throwing out numbers and doing calculations breaking out their calculators and punch in numbers to say look there are only 4 people play SWG no there isn’t there are 300,000, nahhhhh there are only 40,000, no your wrong there are 150,000, when in the end everyone looks like a monkey. No one knows what the numbers are, the one and only thing that I do know for a fact is that there are well over one million copies of SWG sold so to me there are at least over one million players who quite SWG the vast majority of them quitting during the Pre-CU game play, and the minority of them quitting during the CU and NGE. So in easy going terms, if you like the game have fun, if not then don’t play. Bring it on down now.

look  need format my comp   3 tims two acounts  going at the sam time vry tiines i format my comp i need to by two new games to play it they dont tak it more then one times    sorry i ont speel good  lol

What?

Who's reaching? ;)

just for reference:

Are you kidding?

You're probably still not going to get it after I break it down and explain it to you, but I'll try anyway. 

The RED text is a quote by what the SOE employee said.  This is something you can repost somewhere and say "OMGz they said this, it's true!"  You can tell by the use of the speech marks ;)

The left over green text is the reporters opinion.  This is really no different to you posting your opinion on the forums and saying it's true.  It MIGHT be true or it MIGHT be false, but either way it's an opinion and a personal view, not an official statement from SOE.  The green text is what Admriker was trying to portray as being an official statement of some sort, which is what I have been posting about in this thread....

We clear now?

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

What?

Who's reaching? ;)

just for reference:

Are you kidding?

You're probably still not going to get it after I break it down and explain it to you, but I'll try anyway. 

The RED text is a quote by what the SOE employee said.  This is something you can repost somewhere and say "OMGz they said this, it's true!"  You can tell by the use of the speech marks ;)

The left over green text is the reporters opinion.  This is really no different to you posting your opinion on the forums and saying it's true.  It MIGHT be true or it MIGHT be false, but either way it's an opinion and a personal view, not an official statement from SOE.  The green text is what Admriker was trying to portray as being an official statement of some sort, which is what I have been posting about in this thread....

We clear now?

The part in green has been stated by SOE employees and former employees elsewhere though. So, it kinda is official even thoough your right about the article above.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    You guys are running around arguing over quotes and exact numbers and all sorts of excuses to prove your own personal viewpoint, but the only thing that matters is its supposed to be an MMO but you cant find any one to game with anywhere.  It doesnt matter if everyone is out "doing stuff", or that there is no reason to congregate in the cities (which reeks of design flaw in itself), or whatever the excuse is.   The only thing that matters is that it is simply very difficult to find anyone to do anything with.   

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• Blue3000Blue3000 Member Posts: 238

Someone wrote, "It's speculation whether it's true or not." Regarding the statement that was put out.

Are you serious? Are you kidding?  Whether it's true or not???  Even a blind man can see the failure this game has become. The mass amounts of players who've left this game.  The remaining few who if compared to a skeleton would make it look obese.

They have no choice but to admit they screwed up.  They know it. The players knew it since before the nge came on. Once word began to circulate that the nge was being added to the game, the majority of the player base knew it wasn't going to work and they screamed it out.  Yet, it fell on deaf ears.

They are/were the so-called "experts" and they didn't even know or didn't care to see the uprising that was going on against these changes.  Had they stopped to look, they would of seen what we the players saw but they didn't.

It doesn't matter who says what. It doesn't matter if the game closed down today because of the disaster it has become. Even if it did close today, you would come in these forums and you'd see a few indiviuals say, no, no, no, the game is alive and doing fantastic.

Being in a state of "DENIAL" is so, so sad.

• MordahMordah Member Posts: 199
    People who still spend time and money on the tripe that SWG has become have to justify and spin things somehow...otherwise they would have to admit that they are simply wasting good time and money that they could be investing in something more productive.  Even on the Titanic there were people who arranged deck chairs instead of finding a lifeboat.

Originally posted by Mordah 
    ...  Even on the Titanic there were people who arranged deck chairs instead of finding a lifeboat.

Probably the best one-line description of SWG fanbois.

Ever.

I guess we can compare the SWG haters to the people that were shooting people during the chaos image