Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cult of Brad?

124»

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by lordtwisted

Well, Rangers sucked, was probablly a bit of an over statement. How about for a long time they lacked damage, and utility.
     I think you will like VG though.

Well, rangers where awesome.  They got some weakness moments (at some expansions), but overall, some of the best players I meet where rangers.  They are not meant to tank, they deal awesome amount of damage, they snare, they heal(not fast but still nicely enought to keep a chanter alive), they can even tank a little.

You have just no idea of what I did duo with some rangers.  Rangers where prolly the 4th of 5th strongest class in EQ, which is not bad at all considering chanter-cleric-bards get an automatic first 3 spots.  I am personnally hesitating between the ranger, the druid and the paladin at the fourth place, I see rangers as a lot better than any other class.  Of course, rangers where never specifically desired for a group.

You see, with a ranger, we did awesome and cool things...and they even can heal the sorry excuse of a chanter that I am when I get some damage, which mean the difference between life and debt, between clearing an area or CR.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

As far as the state of SOE, do you consider them a failure? I could only hope to fail as well as they did, probablly bring in more then most other game companies, don't tell me they don't because WoW has 50% of the mmo market, SOE has their hands into a hell of a lot more games in many markets.  They have the second longest running MMO on the market, and probablly the most added content of any publisher.
       SOE may have made mistakes in the past, but neglecting the few raid free radicals is not one of them. You want a raid free server, buy Diablo or something, maybe you and your few friends you like to group with should just consider LAN parties? Maybe a little pen and paper D&D.   Might be a better match.    Speaking of which, go try DDO, I don't think they ever added raids. It's all groups. 

Well, consider how peoples in general react to SoE, even before the SWG thingy...a LOT of haters.

Take a company who doesn't make any raid, ever.  Like BioWare...now, where is the hate?  It is not there, because peoples just finish/leave with JOY and HAPPINESS!  With raiding, customers leave bitter.  Tell me, before raiding, where there any SoE haters?  Where there any Blizzard haters?  You know there was almost none.  Now, you have Blizzard-haters.  What make this?  Raiding enforcement.

And the customers last feeling is priceless to any serious company...and raiding make a LOT of players leave with bitterness.  Thereby, enforced raiding is a failure on a marketing point of view, too much hatred for extremely minimal results.  Thereby, a raid-free server is a must, since it remove all the nasty aspect of raiding bitterness, while keeping MOST of the benefits from raiding.

A raid-free server leave you with the best of BOTH worlds.  Because raiding, when it is enforced on every players, destroy a long-term image, just look at SoE and you know I speak the truth.  But if there are raid-free servers, then you don't have this bitterness, players are happy, doing what they want and what they like.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Originally posted by Anofalye

Insults me or my employers as much as you like, I was soloing raid target before you where born!  Young blood!  image

I don't think I insulted you or your emplyees. Didn't even know your emplyees were in this discussion. What you consider a challenge, like soloing a mob with a 20% success rate, is not a challenge, that is suicide. And in a MMORPG that I would like, with exp lose, with the risk of loseing a level, you would not have attempted such suicide. You would have brought a party.

As far as the comment you made that I quoted above. That is highly impossible. since I was born well before there was public access to an internet, I was raised in the heart of gaming. So think again.

And if I insulted you or your employees I do apologize, because it was not intentional. But without trying to insult you further, I will admit, that with all of the post I have ever read of yours, I see you as arrogant, pig headed, and self rightous. These are all traits that many people adopt in a text type atmosphere where we can not see each other expressions, or hear any emotion in their voices as they talk.

But I will say, that I am glad at this point that any game I choose to play will most likely not appeal to you. We are by far two diffrent people, and it is good that there are games out there for both of us.

Not so nice guy!

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Eh... employees?

Did I miss something?

Currently Playing: GW2
    Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
    Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

As far as the state of SOE, do you consider them a failure? I could only hope to fail as well as they did, probablly bring in more then most other game companies, don't tell me they don't because WoW has 50% of the mmo market, SOE has their hands into a hell of a lot more games in many markets.  They have the second longest running MMO on the market, and probablly the most added content of any publisher.
       SOE may have made mistakes in the past, but neglecting the few raid free radicals is not one of them. You want a raid free server, buy Diablo or something, maybe you and your few friends you like to group with should just consider LAN parties? Maybe a little pen and paper D&D.   Might be a better match.    Speaking of which, go try DDO, I don't think they ever added raids. It's all groups. 

Well, consider how peoples in general react to SoE, even before the SWG thingy...a LOT of haters.

Take a company who doesn't make any raid, ever.  Like BioWare...now, where is the hate?  It is not there, because peoples just finish/leave with JOY and HAPPINESS!  With raiding, customers leave bitter.  Tell me, before raiding, where there any SoE haters?  Where there any Blizzard haters?  You know there was almost none.  Now, you have Blizzard-haters.  What make this?  Raiding enforcement.

And the customers last feeling is priceless to any serious company...and raiding make a LOT of players leave with bitterness.  Thereby, enforced raiding is a failure on a marketing point of view, too much hatred for extremely minimal results.  Thereby, a raid-free server is a must, since it remove all the nasty aspect of raiding bitterness, while keeping MOST of the benefits from raiding.

A raid-free server leave you with the best of BOTH worlds.  Because raiding, when it is enforced on every players, destroy a long-term image, just look at SoE and you know I speak the truth.  But if there are raid-free servers, then you don't have this bitterness, players are happy, doing what they want and what they like.

You are wrong on all accounts, there were just no haters that felt like you do.

All through Blizzards life it has had haters, RTS haters, Hack haters, blizz.net haters.  They were just not haters that you shared anything with.
       SOE always had haters too, again just not the haters you had a connection too. Now that you find a connection to a hatred you feel like you have an army, when really you have 1 in 1000 players at most that agree with you. But you feel like there is many more because you are reading their words with interest.

It's the same as an experience I had recently. I bought a classic car, and it is one that everyone has, in fact I have never seen one in town. So I bought it, all of sudden they are every where....why? Did everyone copy me? No, it called awarness. I now know what I am looking at, so it hits my brain saying look another one!

I bought a CD a long time ago, and loved one song on it, I had never heard the song before, and couldn't beleive it...one night cranking it through town as loud as it would go, then all of a sudden everyone had that CD....true? did they all copy me?  No, they all probablly owned the CD way before me, I just never heard the song before so didn't notice it, now that I have heard it, I notice it when ever I hear it.

When you like an idea, you will see and hear every word that ever agrees with you, and you will not listen, and ignore every word against it, so it seems like you are the majority, and your not.

Not so nice guy!

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Spot on :)

Its like a friend of mine bought a car, nice and all and we were out wandering and he goes "look another one" and I simply say "another what?" - I didn't even notice the car despite looking straight at it because it wasn't important to me.

And on forums its even worse, if you get two people who agree with you and they're prolific then it feels like the world and his dog is right there with you in your corner!

Currently Playing: GW2
    Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
    Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

Originally posted by EliasThorne
    Spot on :)

Its like a friend of mine bought a car, nice and all and we were out wandering and he goes "look another one" and I simply say "another what?" - I didn't even notice the car despite looking straight at it because it wasn't important to me.

And on forums its even worse, if you get two people who agree with you and they're prolific then it feels like the world and his dog is right there with you in your corner!

I am glad that made sense to someone, thought I might have been trying to project something that text can not convey.

Not so nice guy!

Insults me or my employers as much as you like, I was soloing raid target before you where born!  Young blood!  image

I don't think I insulted you or your emplyees. Didn't even know your emplyees were in this discussion. What you consider a challenge, like soloing a mob with a 20% success rate, is not a challenge, that is suicide. And in a MMORPG that I would like, with exp lose, with the risk of loseing a level, you would not have attempted such suicide. You would have brought a party.

I did it countless time in old EQ, where I effectively lose and regain levels countless times (before and after the many rez), but to get 65ish spells available for casuals guild, it was well worth it.  Getting a group there was just a suicide mission where I would have get 5 players killed for no reason, while I can take the hit alone and then get 1 cleric to make up to 8 rez at one time, all on me!  That's get hefty smile on clerics.  However, I did get a group of 3 chanters, 2 clerics and 1 druid once, no death and was awesome...but taking 2 clerics and 3 chanters away from the server while we group isn't something the server appreciate as a whole.

Again, EQ was always too easy for me.  Lives per month (softcore permadeath) is the only penalty that would make me care, XP loss all you want, I will always find it tiny...especially with clerics to rez you!  image  It takes 25 deaths to suffer the full 1 death XP-penalty in EQ when you have a cleric...or 10 death if you only find a paladin.  So to lose a level you have to died 125 times with a cleric to rez you...assuming you make no XP, I was out XPing these deaths easily.

You are wrong on all accounts, there were just no haters that felt like you do.

All through Blizzards life it has had haters, RTS haters, Hack haters, blizz.net haters.  They were just not haters that you shared anything with.
       SOE always had haters too, again just not the haters you had a connection too. Now that you find a connection to a hatred you feel like you have an army, when really you have 1 in 1000 players at most that agree with you. But you feel like there is many more because you are reading their words with interest.

It's the same as an experience I had recently. I bought a classic car, and it is one that everyone has, in fact I have never seen one in town. So I bought it, all of sudden they are every where....why? Did everyone copy me? No, it called awarness. I now know what I am looking at, so it hits my brain saying look another one!

I bought a CD a long time ago, and loved one song on it, I had never heard the song before, and couldn't beleive it...one night cranking it through town as loud as it would go, then all of a sudden everyone had that CD....true? did they all copy me?  No, they all probablly owned the CD way before me, I just never heard the song before so didn't notice it, now that I have heard it, I notice it when ever I hear it.

When you like an idea, you will see and hear every word that ever agrees with you, and you will not listen, and ignore every word against it, so it seems like you are the majority, and your not.

I disagree.  There was peoples making FUN of Bnet, they where not hating Blizzard.  Hating involve a huge disagreement with the design, considering the company did something wrong on purpose.  Such as raiding.  Peoples with Bnet, they didn't consider Blizzard did make it crappy on purpose, they where disappointed at best, never real hater.

Raiding bring real hatred.  Not the same as been disappointed.  Peoples disliking a flaw that is not the company fault is not the same as peoples hating something that was done on purpose.  SoE should know the difference.  But I guess they are blinding themselves.  Same with Blizzard.

See, with Bnet, you see peoples that have troubles with the lag or some aspect, they where not hating Blizzard, they where disappointed.  But with raiding, it is different, since Blizzard did it on purpose, so they are "rightful" at hating Blizzard.  Blinding yourself to a reality doesn't change it.

But with raiding, it is different, since Blizzard did it on purpose, so they are "rightful" at hating Blizzard. 

Doesn't make you right. It mskes you self-rightous.  You can't have an opinion on one aspect of the game and tell everyone that disagrees that they are wrong. There is nothing wrong with raids, it is part of the game, and since it seems to be a part of many games, you will have to understand the companies that design the games are not stupid, they market to the majority.

Not so nice guy!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

I disagree.  There was peoples making FUN of Bnet, they where not hating Blizzard.  Hating involve a huge disagreement with the design, considering the company did something wrong on purpose.  Such as raiding.  Peoples with Bnet, they didn't consider Blizzard did make it crappy on purpose, they where disappointed at best, never real hater.

Raiding bring real hatred.  Not the same as been disappointed.  Peoples disliking a flaw that is not the company fault is not the same as peoples hating something that was done on purpose.  SoE should know the difference.  But I guess they are blinding themselves.  Same with Blizzard.

See, with Bnet, you see peoples that have troubles with the lag or some aspect, they where not hating Blizzard, they where disappointed.  But with raiding, it is different, since Blizzard did it on purpose, so they are "rightful" at hating Blizzard.  Blinding yourself to a reality doesn't change it.

LOL what in the hell are you talking about? i think you are blind by your own hatred for raiding, don't assume that everyone els feels the way you do because you are indeed the minority here.

sure there are people that don't like raiding, there are even more people that don't have time for it. but for someone to hate raiding with the Passion that you do....it is certainly rare.

"Hating involve a huge disagreement with the design" that is sad you feel that you must hate something because you disagree with the design. i disagree with a pvp system that has full item looting in a item-cetric game, doesn't mean i hate it i just disagree with it.

no Anofalye, your hatred for raiding is rare indeed and your assumptions that just because you feel that way then surly most people would agree with you is dead wrong.

there are plenty of people that hate blizzard for whatever reasons they see fit, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it right or wrong.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by baphamet
    Originally posted by AnofalyeI disagree.  There was peoples making FUN of Bnet, they where not hating Blizzard.  Hating involve a huge disagreement with the design, considering the company did something wrong on purpose.  Such as raiding.  Peoples with Bnet, they didn't consider Blizzard did make it crappy on purpose, they where disappointed at best, never real hater.

LOL what in the hell are you talking about? i think you are blind by your own hatred for raiding, don't assume that everyone els feels the way you do because you are indeed the minority here.

sure there are people that don't like raiding, there are even more people that don't have time for it. but for someone to hate raiding with the Passion that you do....it is certainly rare.

"Hating involve a huge disagreement with the design" that is sad you feel that you must hate something because you disagree with the design. i disagree with a pvp system that has full item looting in a item-cetric game, doesn't mean i hate it i just disagree with it.

no Anofalye, your hatred for raiding is rare indeed and your assumptions that just because you feel that way then surly most people would agree with you is dead wrong.

there are plenty of people that hate blizzard for whatever reasons they see fit, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it right or wrong.

I agree.  You'll have to add me to that list of non-haters as well Anofalye.  I don't like raiding for myself, but I certainly DO NOT HATE a company that makes use of it.  Especially since there are people who genuinely like it.  How exactly do you feel about those players?  People that enjoy raiding that is? 

By your definition you'd have to hate them as well.  Why?  Just because they like something you don't?  In a game, no less.  There is absolutely nothing to do with a game that could cause me to hate anything.  I guess I have a higher definition of hate than you do.

A child molestor is someone I would hate.
    Someone who harmed my family I would hate.

A gaming company making something I don't like?  Not even anything close to hate.

• solymnarsolymnar Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by dragonace

I agree.  You'll have to add me to that list of non-haters as well Anofalye.  I don't like raiding for myself, but I certainly DO NOT HATE a company that makes use of it. 

Ditto
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by dragonace
    I agree.  You'll have to add me to that list of non-haters as well Anofalye.  I don't like raiding for myself, but I certainly DO NOT HATE a company that makes use of it.  Especially since there are people who genuinely like it.  How exactly do you feel about those players?  People that enjoy raiding that is? 

By your definition you'd have to hate them as well.  Why?  Just because they like something you don't?  In a game, no less.  Their is absolutely nothing to do with a game that could cause me to hate anything.  I guess I have a higher definition of hate than you do.

A child molestor is someone I would hate.
    Someone who harmed my family I would hate.

A gaming company making something I don't like?  Not even anything close to hate.

yep that is exactly my point, but the thing is the people that enjoy raiding are irrelevant to Anofalye. judging by his posts raiders are not "true" groupers so what they say or feel does not matter to "true" groupers, right Anofalye? ::::12::

but honestly, discussing this with him is futile....he is always going to hate to raid and hate any game that "forces" him to raid and he is always going to derail every single topic with his anti-raiding argument no matter what, so it really makes no difference.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Well, Rangers sucked, was probablly a bit of an over statement. How about for a long time they lacked damage, and utility.
     I think you will like VG though.

I think I will too.... so far its certainly pushing all my hype buttons.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

Originally posted by Amathe
    Developers get rock star status when they make a successful game. That lasts until they make a lousy one. For example, Raph Koster used to be highly regarded because of his role in Ultima Online. That lasted until SWG. Now he is unemployed, last I heard anyway.

I disagree about Koster.  Former SWG fans feel about Koster the way former EQ fans feel about McQuaid.

• BungFlapsBungFlaps Member Posts: 2

"Copeland"

"Brad is great because he's willing to try new things. It's not all about the money for him. He knows he'll make money. He'll make enough when he sells out to SOE in a few years to make a new MMO. This is all a given. I like him because he's willing to try."

Just wondered if you could elaborate on how essentially creating another Everquest has made him willing to try new things? Although anyone who creates another MMO in this industry is pretty brave I wouldnt call this the most innovative MMO ever. Try the Beta and see for yourself.