Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE forums appalling

BamaDocBamaDoc Member Posts: 162

I will admit up front that I am a generally disgruntled vet, but I'm addressing the current situation. I strongly encourage anyone buying, trying or returning to SWG to avoid the SOE forums as though they were the plague.

There are some good guides out there and a few constructive, helpful posters, but dear merciful Lord! Those boards are packed with whiniers and snipers constantly. Then there are the all too frequent keyboard-in-mouth episodes from Helios and ChirsCao.

What has happened to the game and community over there is truly a shame. Enter those forums at your own risk. It's definitely not pretty over there. image

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Actually, it's only the Game Play forum that's bad, the rest are fairly normal for forums.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    aye just the general , only reason for that is SOE dosn't have the forum account tied to the paying structure so even old players whom deem the old crappy version is better then the new. Funny thou, they don't play it yet have a ton to say about it even after a year. Pathetic really, but avoiding the general chat is a good bet :)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• BamaDocBamaDoc Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by chaintm
    aye just the general , only reason for that is SOE dosn't have the forum account tied to the paying structure so even old players whom deem the old crappy version is better then the new. Funny thou, they don't play it yet have a ton to say about it even after a year. Pathetic really, but avoiding the general chat is a good bet :)

I know the generals were always atrocious. Actually what scared me were the prof forums. They used to be generally reasonable. Now they seem to be filled with newer players who hate everything and veteran players who, well, hate everything. Whining, asking for nerfs, will it never end there?

All name calling and nothing of any real value. I suppose I shouldn't expect more given the input from Helios and the other devs recently. They've doine nothing but create more division and hatred. It's all really quite sad.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832
    If the folks need a guide check out the one I created at the top of the SWG Current page. If you can't find what you are looking for, let me know and I will find it and update the list. I may not be playing anymore, but I am always willing to help those that need it and that guide is my responsibility to update.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• WakizashiWakizashi Member Posts: 893
    You know what tehy should do over at the old suckboards? They should divvy up the new players from the old players so that never the twain shall meet. That would solve the community problem. Just like here.
  • AfroPuffAfroPuff Member Posts: 207
    Nerf calling between classes needs to just be accepted as a fact of life. You'll see that on any MMO board.

SWG Team Mtg.

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

What they should do and continue to do is that when posters post nothing but stupid unconstructive posts, they should be immediately banned for good. I applauded the Devs for taking a hard line against these posters, and basically bitching slapping them all over the place, its enjoyable to watch and read, its about time that they stood up to these posters who waste space with their BS. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Originally posted by BlazinBlades

What they should do and continue to do is that when posters post nothing but stupid unconstructive posts, they should be immediately banned for good. I applauded the Devs for taking a hard line against these posters, and basically bitching slapping them all over the place, its enjoyable to watch and read, its about time that they stood up to these posters who waste space with their BS. Bring it on down now.

lol They aren't cracking down on hardly anything...They are WAY more worried about their bottom line, and when they permaban forum trolls they stop paying SOE money. SOE doesn't like that either.

Love, Sodapop

Unfortunately, most people except you seem to know, that its not always the blatant trolls and flames that get the ban.  Sometimes, it is the posters who expose the lies and deceipt that get an unwarranted vacation.  I mean, the Devs and the mods themselves are guilty of breaking the rules.

I think dissention is a good thing, at least over on the suckboards.  I know when I check out a prospective game, I look for the posts that flame or expose the bad parts of the game.  I'll never learn anything listening to fanboys and sycophants.   

Originally posted by Wakizashi

Unfortunately, most people except you seem to know, that its not always the blatant trolls and flames that get the ban.  Sometimes, it is the posters who expose the lies and deceipt that get an unwarranted vacation.  I mean, the Devs and the mods themselves are guilty of breaking the rules.

I think dissention is a good thing, at least over on the suckboards.  I know when I check out a prospective game, I look for the posts that flame or expose the bad parts of the game.  I'll never learn anything listening to fanboys and sycophants.   

I have actually seen very few threads or posts that actually talked about what SOE did a year ago, and did it in a respectful mature manner, there have been some over the past year that were done maturely and most those threads and post were never deleted and or locked, they only ended up being deleted or locked when trolls started going in and trolling. The vast majority of threads and post are nothing but totally BS. As well it has been a year, SOE is moving on and so is the game, the constant posting and creation of threads that are the exact same post and thread created 10 months ago, is old news, its boring, its beating a dead horse, all they are for is to cause trolling and problems and the posters who post that know it.  Bring it on down now.

I have actually seen very few threads or posts that actually talked about what SOE did a year ago, and did it in a respectful mature manner, there have been some over the past year that were done maturely and most those threads and post were never deleted and or locked, they only ended up being deleted or locked when trolls started going in and trolling. The vast majority of threads and post are nothing but totally BS. As well it has been a year, SOE is moving on and so is the game, the constant posting and creation of threads that are the exact same post and thread created 10 months ago, is old news, its boring, its beating a dead horse, all they are for is to cause trolling and problems and the posters who post that know it.  Bring it on down now.

I wish I was wrong, but I believe you are late coming to the game.  Any long-time vet knows the story behind the manipulation of 'fellate us or be terminated' used by SOE.  Besides, SOE has the mod power to edit people's posts instead of wholesale deletion.  Why don't they do this?  Its because these posts outline very clearly the mistakes and continued transgressions perpetrated by SOE against the playerbase. 

But you're right, SOE is moving on, sadly with only a fraction of what they started out with.   

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    Well, that is what you get when you piss on 250,000 people.  Seriously, if the SOE forums weren't full of flames and hatred, and screams for Pre-CU, I'd worry more than if they weren't.  Even negative passion is still passion for the game.  If there were apathy, they'd have no shot at saving the game or ever getting the discontented people back.

I wish I was wrong, but I believe you are late coming to the game.  Any long-time vet knows the story behind the manipulation of 'fellate us or be terminated' used by SOE.  Besides, SOE has the mod power to edit people's posts instead of wholesale deletion.  Why don't they do this?  Its because these posts outline very clearly the mistakes and continued transgressions perpetrated by SOE against the playerbase. 

But you're right, SOE is moving on, sadly with only a fraction of what they started out with.   

Everyone from day one has known what SOE is all about, they screwed us out of our game and all the hard work we did, but really what is the surprise there, it isn’t as if it’s nothing that SOE has not done before in SWG. SOE has always lied in SWG, they have always led players along and then left them out to dry in SWG. So what is the surprise, here we are one year later, and still people are still putting up post about what went wrong in the game, well if you played the game from launch you already know what went wrong in the game, everything that these posters are posting is nothing new, its all old information that everyone already knows ten fold times infinity and beyond LMAO. The only real reason that posters are posting these posts, are to troll and to attract trolls, most of them not all mind you, but most know that when they post it, they know it is going to be a troll magnet and its all BS. The game is changed we took in the butt; SOE has moved on, the game has moved on. Bring it on down now.

• GunnyFisherGunnyFisher Member Posts: 65
    Marksmen board is always nice. Oh wait.... image

Have faith in God, believe in antimatter.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Yes because getting rid of all people that oppose them is the key to making the game look alot better then what it is for the people that come there.

I would be ashamed to have a product so bad that hundreds of thousands left it, come back to explain how bad it is and why, while the Dev team does nothing but damage control and acting as forum Nazi's to clear it out for all good talk only.

Sooner or later if you take out all the people that hate it the only thing you have left is the ones that accept it.

Ala -- "The one eyed man would be king in the land of the blind...", Now that is fitting.

Bring that shit on down and smoke it.

Originally posted by iskareot

Yes because getting rid of all people that oppose them is the key to making the game look alot better then what it is for the people that come there.

I would be ashamed to have a product so bad that hundreds of thousands left it, come back to explain how bad it is and why, while the Dev team does nothing but damage control and acting as forum Nazi's to clear it out for all good talk only.

Sooner or later if you take out all the people that hate it the only thing you have left is the ones that accept it.

Ala -- "The one eyed man would be king in the land of the blind...", Now that is fitting.

Not really, it’s called moving on, there is nothing in these posts that are new or reveling about SWG. People can make up their own minds as to whether or not they like the game, filling the forums with information that is dated back one year is a waste of space and a waste of time, its done for trolling. If the game is really bad, then new players won’t play it, if they like the game then they will play it, it’s no one else’s business.

I understand why you would be ashamed to have a product that hundreds of thousands left, but then again you also continued to play it. Please do not try to spray this idea that Hundreds of thousands of players left SWG because of the NGE, that BS wont fly with people who have played this game since day one, hundreds of thousands of players were leaving this game you are right about that, but it was in the Pre-CU game system, nonetheless even with the CU and the NGE players still continue to leave the game. As far as what the Devs are doing with some of their posts, although I do not fully support what they say, I do support the idea that certain posters need to be banned. Most of these posts are beating a dead horse, they post with the clear intention to troll, well prepared posts after the NGE hit were fine, but now even they a year later are posted for one reason and one reason only, to troll.

Your right that eventually all that will be left are ones who do like the game while all the ones who hate the game are gone, but how is that different from the Pre-CU? During the Pre-CU all the players who hated the game and wanted changes either left the game or were banned and those were hundreds of thousands of players, all that was left before the NGE for the most part were those who liked the way the game played, the minority. So this is different in what way??????

Next time you bringing it I want the Costa Rican stuff, it’s a hella lot better.

Bring it on down now.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Obraik
    Actually, it's only the Game Play forum that's bad, the rest are fairly normal for forums.

/roflmao

Obraik, you clearly have never ventured onto the Lowca Forums.  You need a hazmat suit just to browse and I'd strongly recommend an HV suit if you want to post there.

Originally posted by azhrarn

/roflmao

Obraik, you clearly have never ventured onto the Lowca Forums.  You need a hazmat suit just to browse and I'd strongly recommend an HV suit if you want to post there.

Eww, why would I venture over to Lowca? image

The Chilastra forums are pretty cheerful :)

• Blue3000Blue3000 Member Posts: 238

The forums in Galaxies have more going on then in the game it self.  There are more people in the forums on any given night then the game.  More action, more conversations going on, by far it's without any doubt more interesting than the game.

It hasn't changed, it was the same back when the nge first came out.

Originally posted by Blue3000

The forums in Galaxies have more going on then in the game it self.  There are more people in the forums on any given night then the game.  More action, more conversations going on, by far it's without any doubt more interesting than the game.

Ah, so you login daily (for more then 5mins) to know this would you? 

• BamaDocBamaDoc Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Blue3000

Ah, so you login daily (for more then 5mins) to know this would you? 

LOL. Sadly I agree with Blue. Answers are yes and yes for me.
  • BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

I think the general forums give you a great insight to the present state of the game. I have watched them since the CU when i quit. (And glad i quit then i was that uber leet FOTM template  CH MRM ranger tracker, you know i just sat in my camp reading my skill bars and liked it) image Heh liked it he** i loved it i lived and breathed it and when i logged out i dreamt it.

So after watching all the things SOE has pulled since its only natural that the forums are in an uproar. And informs me it would not be in my best interest to return to that POS game.

Watching the forums also showed me it is business as usual with the development of the game, slow to nonexistent, I thought the NGE would make updating,fixing and adding more content easier. But it would appear otherwise in the forums.

And to tell the truth, i have had some good laughs reading the forums post CU, OMG Chris's rant about playing the forums and not the game was priceless, The retort of the forums being more fun to play than the gameplay  itself that was very funny. image

No the only reason the forums are appallling is because the game itself is now appalling.

• royalpenaltyroyalpenalty Member Posts: 312
    seems pretty obvious to me that the piss poor attitude on the forums is a DIRECT REFLECTION of the piss poor game itself.  the NGE didnt just ruin SWG as a game, it brought nothing but care bears and whiners along with it.

SWG ADDICT...clean since the NGE

• EdmondeEdmonde Member Posts: 97

I like alot of what the game has these days...wish I had my 34 professions tho but no way to intertwine and work on all expertise for them all hence they are gone...

can't wait till trader expertise to come out in order to craft better than looted weps...

as for the forums go...well gameplay is all whiners the prof forums all whiners and hell most of the galaxy forums are all about whiners...

And if you love SWG Drama go to the Kauri forums...I know I could just post something about 1 certain person and have 15-20 page threads before the night is over...

I got told that when I returned to the game I ruined the server and tthat I should quit and go die...

the nerve of some ppl...so with respect to that person I ruined the server some more...

Imperials > Rebels

We have enough Youth, How about a Fountain of Intelligence?

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by iskareot

Not really, it’s called moving on, there is nothing in these posts that are new or reveling about SWG. People can make up their own minds as to whether or not they like the game, filling the forums with information that is dated back one year is a waste of space and a waste of time, its done for trolling. If the game is really bad, then new players won’t play it, if they like the game then they will play it, it’s no one else’s business.

I understand why you would be ashamed to have a product that hundreds of thousands left, but then again you also continued to play it. Please do not try to spray this idea that Hundreds of thousands of players left SWG because of the NGE, that BS wont fly with people who have played this game since day one, hundreds of thousands of players were leaving this game you are right about that, but it was in the Pre-CU game system, nonetheless even with the CU and the NGE players still continue to leave the game. As far as what the Devs are doing with some of their posts, although I do not fully support what they say, I do support the idea that certain posters need to be banned. Most of these posts are beating a dead horse, they post with the clear intention to troll, well prepared posts after the NGE hit were fine, but now even they a year later are posted for one reason and one reason only, to troll.

Your right that eventually all that will be left are ones who do like the game while all the ones who hate the game are gone, but how is that different from the Pre-CU? During the Pre-CU all the players who hated the game and wanted changes either left the game or were banned and those were hundreds of thousands of players, all that was left before the NGE for the most part were those who liked the way the game played, the minority. So this is different in what way??????

Next time you bringing it I want the Costa Rican stuff, it’s a hella lot better.

Bring it on down now.

You missed the point-- for you to bring yourself on down.

None the less, comparing the old game to this one well is said best by the people at SOE themselves... Shall I???

Let me help you UNDERSTAND THIS as I will copy and paste it:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10830

"In the context of new development methods adopted within the past year by the studio responsible for Star Wars Galaxies, which a year ago saw several drastic changes to the game-world's overall experience, SOE's John Blakely and Todd Fiala issued a warning: "Don't make our mistakes."

"I would have done it a lot differently, and I think that's what's really been driving a lot of this," said Blakely, SOE's vice president of development, regarding the SWG changes known collectively as the New Game Enhancements, or NGE. Those changes, rolled out shortly after the previous year's AGC, resulted in several departures of development employees, and a significant portion of the customer population – by some estimates cutting it in half."

"Process, while important, needs to come after establishing a focus on the product, Fiala said. "Think of the Titanic. Doesn't matter what processes were driving that ship through the water. If nobody's keeping track of getting you to your destination, you're going down, and it doesn't really matter."

John Blakely

So what happened with NGE? Blakely said the changes were "a big risk" that represented a push for a new market of customers, but that it "did not intersect fully with the market that we had." Fiala said there was "perceived to be a timing opportunity" related to "product placement and product marketing" of Star Wars Galaxies, and reiterated the importance of listening to "the market you have" when making decisions about a game already in production.

Now, Let me help you Blazin.. THIS IS THE COMPANY'S Second hand man tell you that this was a mistake and should not have been done.

At any given point I do not need to show or prove that when the product you sell has thier own President "Mr. Smedley" and Vice president call thier own product a mistake to show that it is a failure and should not exsist but is based on cost now and I have to think filling a void or contract.

I think it is safe to say, just posting somthing on the boards about this product being bad after investing 600 bucks in it THEN seeing this said after the fact validates people doing so.

Bottom line is this, people can choose what they want to see, but some people do read and do understand what happend and what is going on.

Next time you want to bring anything --you better bring more then your pink text because short of me posting dialog or emails from Smedley and others about the NGE and what it is called from them I think it is safe to say you may be mistaking about the product your defending.

This is as CURRENT SWG as can be.