Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you like TLC and BoE items this game is for you

Game is turning into a WoW/EQ2 clone with every patch.

Comments

• SerenikillSerenikill Member Posts: 45

TLC has been planned since 3 years ago. BOE is essential on some items to slow down MUDFlation... look at EQ... but VG has a lot less of this then EQ2/WoW

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

MUDflation might or not be a disease.

The remedies is like using a mace to kill a fly, not worth it, more damaging than any help.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

They have a lot of ideas for slowing down MUDFlation but realize it can't be stopped... they are testing every one of these ideas and if it is determined by them and the testers that it is hurting more then helping they will pull it. This is at least a lot better then any other new MMO and we can only trust, with all of their experience, they won't mess it up...

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542
    yeah i agree

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Please don’t make posts using only acronyms.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

alright sorry

it will not happen again SIR!

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by Dubel
    You will not shock a lot of people with that... every games are like that now.

eqnext.wikia.com

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

With this content it cant be wow.

----..----

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

yeah because games like that have worked and have gotten alot of people playing

Originally posted by matraque
    Originally posted by Dubel
    You will not shock a lot of people with that... every games are like that now.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

For anyone wondering.... TLC is "trivial loot code". In this case it means that NPCs a certain level below you would not drop loot. BOE is "bind on equip", which means once you equip an item, it can't be used by any one else.

Another good acronym that the OP should look in to is NDA.

On topic... I don't have any issue with either of these concepts in a game. BOE is better than "no drop" loot by far. It means you can still sell your loot, just not your used gear. I think it is a great way to keep the items a game world fluid. This is especially important in a game with a planned crafting based economy. Again, it doesn't mean you can't sell your loot. It just means that the perfect sword you are using is going to leave the game when you are done with it.

TLC is a more sticky subject. It can mean that you level out of range of a loot drop you are looking for, but it also keeps high level players out of content designed for lower levels. As long as certain items or NPCs can be flagged to ignore the TLC, it shouldn't ever get in the way of gameplay.

i really dont mind BOE but i hate TLC

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

TLC stops farming....

This is a good thing. High level players camping a lower level spawn just to farm the loot is not conducive to a healthy economy. This will encourage people to actually play the game and interact with crafters and such. I cant see there being a negative to this unless you are a farmer.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

BOE doesn't stop mudflation. Developers and developers alone are responsible for mudflation. BOE and TLC are two of the worst concepts ever put into an MMO. The worst is instancing.

Originally posted by Copeland
    BOE doesn't stop mudflation. Developers and developers alone are responsible for mudflation. BOE and TLC are two of the worst concepts ever put into an MMO. The worst is instancing.
    Can you explain how the developers are responsible for Mudflation?

• GnomadGnomad Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by Serenikill

Quick and dirty econ 101: If the devs (federal reserve) put more money into the game then the economy can support then you get inflation and the value of money goes down (see Nazi Germany in WWII for a good example, inflation of over 1000%). Now if you limit the amount of total gold / money in the game world to a fixed amount that will never exceed a set value then there can be no rampant inflation since if prices rise too high there will be no funds to purchase goods and prices will turn or the sellers will go bankrupt.

Example: If I list the cape of uber badness for 10 gold and you list it for 1000 gold and there is only 100 gold in game guess who's price is within reach and who sits on their product forever. Granted a gross oversimplification but makes the point nonetheless.

Conclusion: The devs determine how much money is in the world, unfortunately in no game that I have ever played is there what would appear to be a ceiling on the amount of in game gold. It is limitless due to non-creative loot tables and drop rates. Rats don't carry gold or swords and humans do, so how can I kill rats forever and keep making cash? If there is an unlimited respawn of money dropping MOBs then there is no limit to the amount of total cash that can enter the economy. Therefore the Devs are responsible for coming up with new and innovative methods to control the amount cash in circulation hence limiting inflation.

Don't hold your breath, that would take real work and an understanding of economic principles that is way beyond any dev that I have ever communicated with.

Originally posted by Gnomad
    Originally posted by Serenikill

Quick and dirty econ 101: If the devs (federal reserve) put more money into the game then the economy can support then you get inflation and the value of money goes down (see Nazi Germany in WWII for a good example, inflation of over 1000%). Now if you limit the amount of total gold / money in the game world to a fixed amount that will never exceed a set value then there can be no rampant inflation since if prices rise too high there will be no funds to purchase goods and prices will turn or the sellers will go bankrupt.

Example: If I list the cape of uber badness for 10 gold and you list it for 1000 gold and there is only 100 gold in game guess who's price is within reach and who sits on their product forever. Granted a gross oversimplification but makes the point nonetheless.

Conclusion: The devs determine how much money is in the world, unfortunately in no game that I have ever played is there what would appear to be a ceiling on the amount of in game gold. It is limitless due to non-creative loot tables and drop rates. Rats don't carry gold or swords and humans do, so how can I kill rats forever and keep making cash? If there is an unlimited respawn of money dropping MOBs then there is no limit to the amount of total cash that can enter the economy. Therefore the Devs are responsible for coming up with new and innovative methods to control the amount cash in circulation hence limiting inflation.

Don't hold your breath, that would take real work and an understanding of economic principles that is way beyond any dev that I have ever communicated with.

I see your point, it would be very ambitious if a dev team could come up with a true player driven economy run like a government... but not even a government can get that right. The problem is you have to stop all mobs from dropping money and make loot unsellable to npcs for money... I don't think people would take well to that unless the game was very well designed. Well, hopefully some day...

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318
    I hate both concepts, I really hate BOE, it's really stupid. I picked up this sword and now I can't drop it~! Really dumb, and I hate it in EQ1 (no drop), EQ2, and WoW. Axe it already.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• vixynvixyn Member UncommonPosts: 13
    TLC and BoE have their pro's... and their con's. Here is, in my opinion, a few of these:

Trivial Loot Code:
    Pro's:
    No farmerbot's farming the lower level area's, taking away real player's chances at loot and experience.
    Better economy for new players - which increases the chance of keeping new players.
    Slows down prices dropping - again, for lower level players.

Con's:
    You can't go out and farm tradeskill materials that you might need for lower level recipes.
    You can't help a newer player out by showing him the ropes - as nothing will then drop for the newer player if he/she is grouped with you.
    Much smaller amount of things for sale in the lower level range, as not everyone will be playing alts constantly.

Bind on Equip items:
    Pro's:
    Your Uber Sword of Kickbutt is worth more on the market, since it's rarer this way.
    Your crafted items are worth more, since they can't be reused.
    I... can't think of any other pro's.

Con's:
    You can't pass on gear to that lower level friend/guildmate/person you run into when you outgrow it.
    Much smaller amount of items for sale, as most things aren't reuseable.
    Big money sink. If you can't resell an item later on, you're pretty much only paying out - with not much ocming back from it, since you KNOW NPC vendors are not going to pay you market value for items.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

Originally posted by sebbonx
    I hate both concepts, I really hate BOE, it's really stupid. I picked up this sword and now I can't drop it~! Really dumb, and I hate it in EQ1 (no drop), EQ2, and WoW. Axe it already.

dude u can drop the BOE u can sell it to the vendor if u wish it prevents u from selling it to another player and TLC prevents u from farming a instance to hell and back.

I like this idea, at least to the degree it prevents farming, and prevents high levels from farming an area which is appropriate for lower levels. PRevents misuse and artificially inflating the economy in game.

the way they are doing is two fold. BOE+TLC= prevents farming, and also TLC backs BOE up by preventing a high level player from looting lower level mobs that are out of their level range and looting a good item, even if its sellable to a vendor they still would be able to make sizable gold depending onthe object, hence inflation putting them in another tax bracket artificially.

this is a good thing, and I approve its use, if its executed properly. WOw BOE is similar that it prevents selling certain items, but still a high level player can farm items and still sell those items to a vendor and get some sizable silver or gold depending on how many times he or she solos the instance for items.

I think anyone who hates this is just another player who misuses the system for their own gain. Im all for making gold and good items but it should be overall in scope fair to other players. the system they have set up or are in the process of settting up prevents farming, looting, and bulk-selling to vendors.

Major THUMBS UP! keep it up brad, you won major brownie points on this one.

all i need is a better computer lol to play this damn game lol.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• TLC is just an example of why some of these games, especially ridiculously disparate level grinds, just wind up being poorly designed houses of cards.  Virtual worlds my foot.

patient: Doctor, I'm sick.
    doctor: Oh? what are your symtoms?
    patient: I have a cough and I'm achy.
    doctor: Ok we will treat those.  Take this pill, it will relieve your symptoms.
    patient:  What about my illness?
    doctor: oh we just fixed it didn't we?

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by vixyn
    TLC and BoE have their pro's... and their con's. Here is, in my opinion, a few of these:

Trivial Loot Code:
    Pro's:
    No farmerbot's farming the lower level area's, taking away real player's chances at loot and experience.
    Better economy for new players - which increases the chance of keeping new players.
    Slows down prices dropping - again, for lower level players.

Con's:
    You can't go out and farm tradeskill materials that you might need for lower level recipes.

Not sure how this works in all games that have TLC, but in EQ2 this isn't the case.  You can still get drops of tradeskill items from lower level mobs.  You just won't be able to get any special or unique items from those mobs.  So, if they did it that way in Vanguard then you would still be able to go out and gather all the tradeskill materials you would need for recipes.

You can't help a newer player out by showing him the ropes - as nothing will then drop for the newer player if he/she is grouped with you.

This too can be solved with a Mentoring type system.  Basically meaning that when you group with someone a lot lower level than you, that you can temporarily drop down to their level so that the drops are in line with what they should be for that level.  It's a nice system to have for bringing in new friends to a game.  And means that you can group with your lower level friends with your higher level main rather than creating a new alt all the time.

Much smaller amount of things for sale in the lower level range, as not everyone will be playing alts constantly.

I guess I've never noticed this to be a problem on any MMO with TLC that I've played.  The lower level items are ALWAYS in abundance.  In fact, to the extent that true new players have a hard time making money as the stuff that they acquire is just too abundant.

Bind on Equip items:
    Pro's:
    Your Uber Sword of Kickbutt is worth more on the market, since it's rarer this way.
    Your crafted items are worth more, since they can't be reused.
    I... can't think of any other pro's.

As long as you don't equip the item (because it's for another class, or you already have one, etc.) It can be traded/sold exactly the same as non-BOE items.

Con's:
    You can't pass on gear to that lower level friend/guildmate/person you run into when you outgrow it.

Yes, that is true.  You can still sell it to a NPC vendor though.

Much smaller amount of items for sale, as most things aren't reuseable.

Which is a good thing if you want your items to be worth more money.  The fewer of them on the market - the more they are worth.  Bad though, if you are the buyer; and are trying to find that really nice BOE item.

Big money sink. If you can't resell an item later on, you're pretty much only paying out - with not much ocming back from it, since you KNOW NPC vendors are not going to pay you market value for items.

This is actually a good thing in regards to mudflation though.  If you don't have as much or almost as much money going out as you do coming in; then you get a terribly inflated economy.  Yes, the NPC won't give as much for that item as another player might have, but you still got use out of the item; and you'll still get some money for it.

Considering the alternatives; I think that TLC (Trivial Loot Code) with BoE (Bind on Equip) is the best way to go. 

Two caveats:
    Don't put necessary recipe items for crafters items in the TLC.
    Limit the BoE items to only those that need it.  EQ2 has way too many BoE items.  If it's a crap item or even just a good item - it doesn't need BoE.  image  BoE items should be GREAT items only.

Originally posted by Salvatoris

For anyone wondering.... TLC is "trivial loot code". In this case it means that NPCs a certain level below you would not drop loot. BOE is "bind on equip", which means once you equip an item, it can't be used by any one else.

Another good acronym that the OP should look in to is NDA.

Hay, i like me some Tender Loving Care in my Bord Of Education, but im not sure our POS CAC will GAF.

Is my point.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338

Hay, i like me some Tender Loving Care in my Bord Of Education, but im not sure our POS CAC will GAF.

Is my point.

I agree on the pain in the butt acronyms, but "Bord" is either Bored or Board depending on which you meant image

Currently Playing: GW2
    Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
    Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

Originally posted by EliasThorne

Is my point.
    I agree on the pain in the butt acronyms, but "Bord" is either Bored or Board depending on which you meant image

See, there was not enough TLC in my BOE so.....

Yeah. image

I just don’t think that topic titles should be using Acronyms when they are not
    defined in the posting.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Personally, I'd rather have a Trivial Loot Code than have jerkwads 20 levels higher than me zoom past me in a dungeon that is DESIGNED for players my level, take a kill that would have been ours otherwise and then sell then sell my item back to me for an inflated prices.

I'm not too big on gaming economies. I don't do alot of buying/selling in MMOs I play. But I do know that there is a major difference between real economies and MMO economies. In Real economies, there is wear and tear. Cars break down, shirts get ripped, couches get worn, plates break....yadda ya. If nothing broke in the real world, there wouldn't BE an economy...so the devs need to come up with some way of removing items from the game...and I just haven't heard any other viable alternative.