Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angel Wings

dhartzdhartz Member Posts: 482
Do you think it will be just a fly path where you will click with ur mouse where to fly and the char will automaticly fly there(like in wow) or do u think u will be able to steer alone (wich wuld be cool as hell)

Comments

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    I am kinda betting that it will be neither.   I bet the wings are going to be for show only.  I could be wrong though.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    You fly using WASD movement, but you are limited to special paths. 

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by dhartz
    Do you think it will be just a fly path where you will click with ur mouse where to fly and the char will automaticly fly there(like in wow) or do u think u will be able to steer alone (wich wuld be cool as hell)

Right now it's only been confirmed that there will be flight paths. But I think that free flight would be something strongly considered for a later update, and who knows, maybe even launch.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by neuronomad
    I am kinda betting that it will be neither.   I bet the wings are going to be for show only.  I could be wrong though.

If you read the features in the Aion section you will see the E3 interview which pretty much clearly states there will be flight. Why you would say neither, I don't know. There are also several movies with the feature in action during gameplay. There are several threads here loaded with the links. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setview/features/loadFeature/661/gameID/253 

Pathed at first, free later. Who knows, its not even beta yet, they may get to free at release. Wait and see. Only western made games release incomplete and without the features they promise lol.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Torak

If you read the features in the Aion section you will see the E3 interview which pretty much clearly states there will be flight. Why you would say neither, I don't know. There are also several movies with the feature in action during gameplay. There are several threads here loaded with the links. 

Pathed at first, free later. Who knows, its not even beta yet, they may get to free at release. Wait and see. Only western made games release incomplete and without the features they promise lol.

Thats not really true. remember, Lineage 2 was released in korea without the castle sieges and clan politics.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Torak

Thats not really true. remember, Lineage 2 was released in korea without the castle sieges and clan politics.

A) they disclosed that BEFORE

B) not even close to the parade of disasters that western Devs have put out overr the last few years. Name a game that was complete at release aside from WoW. EQII - major damage control after release, SWG - still not complete and in fact SWG was missing every major feature it advertised, DDO - not complete, D&L not complete, HHorizons, Matrix online - not complete, AC2 not complete..... do I need to list more?????

• OculitusOculitus Member Posts: 203
    Clearly we'd first need free roaming flight, and hopefully that would lead to mid air fighting.  

This is in all likelihood asking too much, at the very least for launch.  But obviously, it'd be an amazing addition, even if restricted to certain "fly zones."  I know they haven't mentioned, as far as I know, mid-air combat.   However a game about angels, demons and dragons at war with eachother should have some aspect of air combat, at some point at least. 

This isn't a make-or-break feature to me, just a pipedream thought.
  • RazakiRazaki Member Posts: 2
    I definitely agree with the wishful thinking about mid-air combat. Strolling along while seeing hordes of angels and demons zipping above you in a huge fight would be the defining moment of the game, in my opinion. Even if they do not implement it at release, however, I would gladly take the flight zone for a beginning. Wings, in general, rock.

• moyakumoyaku Member Posts: 13
    I definitly hope it s gonna be free even if it s not right at release but a little after... Pth flight wouldn't at all be as much fun but it still would be better than having wings and not be abme to fly at all image.

Moyaku-Sama
    Master n00ber

• jw2252jw2252 Member Posts: 34
    I'm guessing that even if it's flight paths to begin with, there's going to be the majority of the population asking for free flight and NCsoft will have to implement it eventually.
  • VEG5000VEG5000 Member Posts: 45
    I will have to tell you that from what has been said at E3 Flight paths (first) and NCsoft and the other teams working on it will more then likely add free flight. For the most part on a patch for Aion. image
  • AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    its free flight

WASD movement in the sky and after i saw a video it shows that there will also be pvp in the sky :)

• MyzRainMyzRain Member Posts: 43

Free-flight and aerial combat have been confirmed by the NCSoft team. Here is a video depicting both:

mms://vodstream.ncsoft.co.kr/ncsoftext/this/Gstar 2006/aion 8min.wmv

---
    What is forgotten is forever immortal.

• shadowrunxtshadowrunxt Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Free flight !!! image I can't wait for this game to be released.

• FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
    You have to wonder what the catch is, though. What's stopping everyone from flying all the time?

Shadowbane handled it pretty ok (if not a bit plainly). Flying drained stamina which was also used to do special attacks. You could fly away as an escape, purely for transport, or do short bursts of flying and fighting which drained all your stamina really fast and left you extremely vulnerable.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Why does there have to be a catch. Why can't you fly all the time?  There will still be things on the ground: Cities, merchants, shops, AH, boxes, mobs...   So you will need to touch down sometimes.  But why not be able to fly all the time.

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Archer could kill any melee mob while flying so i have a feeling the flight will be somehow limited.

Just give any mob the ability to have ranged combat, problem fixed.

Venge Sunsoar

• FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
    If a mob had both melee and ranged capabilities, you have to assume that it's melee attacks were more powerful; what would be the reason for it to try and close in for melee combat if it's ranged capabilities were just as good?

So then, why would anyone ever walk and fight on the ground if you can fly all the time and force mobs to use their weaker attacks?

Not all mobs would want to fight mellee.  Some (casters of some kind)  would want to stay away, ranged is their strength.  Also give some mobs roots, and stuns that can knock you out of the air.  That gives the mellee ones a chance to come up and smack you. 

Also you can do the same for the characters that are flying.  When flying they can be stunned or snared or kicked out of the air easier than on ground.  Some things will only be on the ground. i.e. chests and resources, you want them, have to land.  Or dungeons, flight doesn't help much there.

But for just walking, whats the point.  It is just transportation.  Same as flight.  Look at city of heroes, or Horizons.  You can fly all the time.  (in CoH, just slot endurance and no problem).  All the mobs can pull you down, shoot you.  Works great.

Why fight on the ground

• UnknownForceUnknownForce Member Posts: 34
    Wouldn't it be easier if you just weren't able to fly in combat?

eye dun haf sig

• gamespawngamespawn Member UncommonPosts: 21

SHUT UP xD j/k

nah its kinda cool image

me likes it, me loves it , my precious image